Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - LCU: The Home of Heroes (OOC)

Heritage

What are you using as your editor on the Mac laptop, Heritage? Which version of Mac OS does your laptop have?

I may be able to test it for you on Sunday, and look at some alternatives, depending on whether or not what you've got matches up with what I've got.

In general, I'd recommend using a text editor rather than a full fledged word processor, because text editors tend not to throw in all sorts of funky non-visible WYSIWYG formatting code the way word processors do.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a G4 Powerbook with I think Panther (OS X 10.3.9, I think). All attempts to download and upload a new version of Flash or any other browser than Safari have failed, and Text Editor is the only software I have to edit...um, text. Does that answer everyone's questions? And yes, I hope to be able to afford a new PC laptop for the holidays.

I'm going to have Mike mention Volt in my next post, explaining that all the phone calls he's been taking are about finalizing his membership. Then you can send him to the building and have him meet Kiki at the reception desk!

Heritage, what's your protocol for editing characters, I'm looking to make a small tweak to Hellhound. Currently he's got:

Super Senses 8 (Accurate Acute Analytical Extended Tracking 3 [full-speed] Scent) [7pp]

After reading over Tracking, he only need 2 ranks to move at Full speed (this was a lay over from the 2E build) so it should be:

Super Senses 7 (Accurate Acute Analytical Extended Tracking 2 [full-speed] Scent) [6pp]

Gives him another point to spend on:

Enhanced Strength 5 (Descriptors: [infernal/Magic]; PF: Variable Descriptor) [11pp]

AP: "Strike of Valor" Strike 5 (Descriptors: [infernal/Magic]; Extras: Vampiric; PF: Mighty) {1pp}

He's not really sucking the life force from whatever he hits. He's just focusing his power into a single massive blow. Doing so allows the demonic energy to be channeled through his body and outward from a fist or other strike. The energy coursing through him reinvigorates him if the attack is successful (deals damage). The attack is made at his full Damage Caps thanks to Mighty, but of course limits the types of strength related options he has like grappling.

If that's cool, I'll just paste it into his sheet. Just let me know.

Not cheaply, which I think was the point; Vampiric was kinda broken powerful.

Reaction Healing (limited - when linked strike damages) will cost you 4 pp/rank.

Aside: This is why many say that Regeneration is grossly undercosted at 1 pp/rank when unlimited Reaction Healing costs 5x as much.

Well, presumably, I would only need the healing to be Rank 1, being as how his stamina is so high he'd likely pass the healing check anyway, right?

So I could afford an Alternate Power to the tune of:

Strike 5 (Strength Based, Infernal, Magic; Extras: Linked Healing; PF: Variable Descriptor, Affects Insubstantial) {11pp} and AP it off his current Strength Buff, yes?

Well, presumably, I would only need the healing to be Rank 1, being as how his stamina is so high he'd likely pass the healing check anyway, right?

Actually I just found out that 3e Healing does not gain a bonus from the target's STA, nor a penalty. So in this case you'll only have a +1 with 1 rank.

*facepalm* any other suggestions on a way to build the power I'm looking for?

Actually, I suppose that still works... It just means that his Healing won't proc as often, right? Healing won't be a sure thing, but it will happen ~60% of the time (on a 9 or better).

Actually...

Healing X (Extras: Action/Reaction[+3]; Flaws: limited - when linked strike damage [-1]) is 4pp/rank

So...

Healing X (Extras: Action/Reaction[+3]; Flaws: Limited: When linked strike damage [-1], Limited: Self Only[-1], Temporary) is 2pp/rank.

It also represents the theme that the healing only works for my character, and only invigorates him as long as the fight is going and up to an hour after. Once the adrenaline finally leaves his system, he begins to really feel the effects of his wounds. This power would thematically represent a sort of lucid rage. He's in control, and capable of shrugging off some serious wounds as long as he's fighting. But when the fighting is done, and his powers fade, so does his rage and the invulnerability it produces.

This means...

Strike 5 (Strength Based, Infernal, Magic; Extras: Linked Healing[+0]) {5pp}

Healing 3 (Extras: Action/Reaction[+3]; Flaws: Limited: When linked strike deals damage [-1], Limited: Self Only[-1], Temporary) {6}

is exactly the right amount of points to max out an Alternate Power Setting, while maximizing damage and healing potential.

It's not the best power in the world. It's certainly far from broken. But it fits the character, allows me to HP the healing if I'm REALLY in a bind, and it functions as intended.

I'd be happy with that set up if Heritage is okay with it.

You're right about the self only, I should have thought of that. I doubt though that "temporary" would qualify for a full limit bonus. At best its a Quirk IMO, as it really doesn't limit the use of the power or the effectiveness, since its primary goal, as you said, is to keep him going in a fight, and it does that without any loss of utility during the fight itself. What damage he had to (maybe) deal with later would probably be a complication imposed by the GM and not in the realm of a limit to the power.

Again, my thoughts, but then again, its not my game.

Hmm, I'll have to break out the book and look this over. What's the IC rationale for the change?

It really isn't a change per-se. I'd always intended for this power to be part of the build (see the PL10 2E build in the post above the 3E character sheet). I just had to make some Budget cuts in the conversion between editions AND the 2PL drop.

Other than that...

He's not really sucking the life force from whatever he hits. He's just focusing his power into a single massive blow. Doing so allows the demonic energy to be channeled through his body and outward from a fist or other strike. The energy coursing through him reinvigorates him if the attack is successful (deals damage).

Archived