Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - LCU: The Home of Heroes (OOC)

Heritage

I think since Mike is a public figure, I figure some Expertise checks might come up; you could roll on Business, Current Events, or Popular Culture.

DC 10: Mike Kolansky is a local multimillionaire developer and the owner of the Lake City Ramblers baseball team.

DC 15: Mike has known much great deal of tragedy in his life; his mother died of cancer at a young age, his father died of a massive stroke when he was in college, and his own wife was killed by an XP thug in 2003. He has been fairly reclusive since her death.

DC 20: He attended Lake City University and hoped to pitch for the Ramblers before a rotator cuff injury ended his minor league career.

DC 25: Since his wife's death, Mike has quietly focused heavily on charitable contributions, especially involving crime prevention and victim compensation, and he's also a member of the exclusive Imperator Club, a local politically conservative gentlemen's club that was founded in the 1920s.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the thing about playing with "really smart characters" is that when they do something silly like this, you immediately start to assume that there's some hidden code or something. Perhaps the different colors are keywords in her "Batman Protocols" or something... The worst part? We'll never see it coming!

To be fair, this one time I will allow folks to take 10 after a roll if they have the appropriate Expertise skill, just because he is a well-known figure and it's the first day in-game. But in the future, yes, declare taking 10 and don't roll.

Also please note the post in the LCU General Info section, which I hope clarfiies a few things that were either vague or unstated about my world.

What skill is that based on, though? I don't see Expetise in Business, Current Events, or Popular Culture on your sheet, unless I missed one somehow; I did specify if your character has the appropriate skill. Either way, it's not a big deal if no one really knows him.

This being the first time Russell has actually mentioned his last name, it's my turn to call for expertise checks involving my newly approved background info (I've essentially moved the time frame on his back ground up to only about 18 months ago).

So, if anyone was in or around New York City about a year and a half prior to the team being formed, feel free to roll Expertise Current Events or any other applicable skill I may be forgetting about. DC 15 will let you know the troubles his family went through at the hands of kidnappers. DC 20 reveals the death of his sister, and the legal mire that Russell had to drag himself through, which includes dropping out of law school.

Applicable Characters: Gary for his FBI connections, Blitz for her possible earlier misdealings, and Superball, if she tends to read a lot of news and such. Mike, Bo, and Kiki, would likely already have uncovered all of this during background checks.

What skill is that based on, though? I don't see Expetise in Business, Current Events, or Popular Culture on your sheet, unless I missed one somehow; I did specify if your character has the appropriate skill. Either way, it's not a big deal if no one really knows him.

Just a straight Intellect check. Naomi has had to have read something somewhere in regards to him.

So, I'm an idiot. Gary has the Well Informed advantage which allows him to make an immediate skill with with Investigation or Persuasion when meeting a new person or encountering a group or thing for the first time. In this case I'd be able to add +4 to my prior check for Mike and I can roll at +6 for Russ as well.

Well, you get that roll when meeting Russell. So there's no backdated info. But as it's my character, I'd say you got a second chance at that roll after hearing his name, and possibly seeing Blitz reaction if it's enough to trigger a second rooting through of his thoughts.

I think the other characters knowing about his background but him not knowing that they know might improve the role playing in the game a little. Dramatic Irony and all. So I'm asking that you take another roll, please.

Some news: I've just been told to "fast track" my latest project here at work. As (embarrassingly enough) much of my posting gets done at work you may be seeing a good deal less of me until it's done. I'll do my best to keep up as usual, but I can't make any promises for the foreseeable future... I'll try to manage at least a post a day though. Sorry again.

If I try to edit a post on my old Mac laptop, I get all kind of funky HTML codes I've never seen before and it's damn near impossible for me to clean them up until I get onto a PC, which makes all the HTML invisible for some reason.

Archived