Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - LCU: The Home of Heroes (IC)

Heritage

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Nor anything I got that can melt easy." Naomi says with a chuckle.

"You know, I can actually understand the impulse of getting bored. If I'm not inventing or building or just designing something new I get a little... froggy."

She turns to Samson. "So, what do you do outside of your day job? Hobbies? Interests?"

Russell winced at being chastised by Gary. He certainly had just destroyed another man's property without a second thought or hesitation. "Sorry, Gary. Wasn't really thinking. I'd say that they are 'just playing cards,' but that wouldn't make it better, I'm sure." Russell stood from the floor and faced the other man, "Suffice to say that I am a little more careful with things of greater value. Especially when they belong to others." Russell shrugged, unable to muster more of an eloquent apology than that. "I could buy you another deck, but if you don't want 'just another dog,' I can understand that too." Russell Shrugged, obviously waiting on some further judgment or comment from Gary, before sitting back down on the floor.

Gary held up a forestalling hand, "Easy. I'm not mad, just making an observation. It's just a playing card after all. Actually, its not even that." Gary snapped his fingers and the remaining cards vanished leaving behind only a joker which slowly faded from view. "An illusion. A diversion for Val, because she looked like she could use it." He smiled, "Sorry for the ruse, and for the comment, but I am a student of human nature, and I found it interesting that you gave no thought to the action."

"Sorry..." He said for the benefit for the others in the room as he sat back, like a dog on its haunches. "I'll have to be more careful next time." Suddenly that smile was back, "Do you want to do it again?" he asked Blitz. While outwardly, the question was innocent, Russell certainly could have watched his own phrasing this time...

At Russell’s question, Blitz’s expression – even half-hidden – suggested that Christmas was coming early. “Uh, yeah!” she exclaimed, looking truly pleased by the suggestion. But it was becoming clear that Blitz didn’t do anything by halves, especially her own emotional reactions. She was still grinning as she added, “This is way too much fun to stop.” For once, the innocent statement seemed to be truly innocent.

"Nor anything I got that can melt easy." Naomi says with a chuckle.

"You know, I can actually understand the impulse of getting bored. If I'm not inventing or building or just designing something new I get a little... froggy."

She turns to Samson. "So, what do you do outside of your day job? Hobbies? Interests?"

Gary held up a forestalling hand, "Easy. I'm not mad, just making an observation. It's just a playing card after all. Actually, its not even that." Gary snapped his fingers and the remaining cards vanished leaving behind only a joker which slowly faded from view. "An illusion. A diversion for Val, because she looked like she could use it." He smiled, "Sorry for the ruse, and for the comment, but I am a student of human nature, and I found it interesting that you gave no thought to the action."

“Ruh-roh, we’re being head-shrunk,” she murmured to Russell as if sharing a secret with him. “He’s on to you!”

Turning to Gary, she said, “So, you’ve figured out that I’m impulsive and Russell likes to burn other people’s things when he shamelessly flirts.” The last was included with a quick wink to Russell. “Your turn to share with the class. Like Naomi asked – what things do you like to do when you’re not Eff-bee-eying or measuring skulls to determine personality?” There was a hint of challenge in her tone – they’d all said a few things about their personal lives. Was he brave enough to share?

Naomi chuckles as she gets back to her tablet again.

"With the way he's being mum you'd think he was a Secret Agent, not Special Agent!" Naomi chuckles out, her mood definately improving from her faux-pas just a moment ago.

It would seem she seems slightly manic. Or perhaps she turns her embarrassment over doing something stupid and turns it on it's head better than others. But it is obvious she's starting to loosen up.

At Russell’s question, Blitz’s expression – even half-hidden – suggested that Christmas was coming early. “Uh, yeah!” she exclaimed, looking truly pleased by the suggestion. But it was becoming clear that Blitz didn’t do anything by halves, especially her own emotional reactions. She was still grinning as she added, “This is way too much fun to stop.” For once, the innocent statement seemed to be truly innocent.

Russell was pleased to see that he'd made an impression, but he let the subject drop as quickly as the card house as the group moved on to grill Gary.

“Ruh-roh, we’re being head-shrunk,” she murmured to Russell as if sharing a secret with him. “He’s on to you!”

Turning to Gary, she said, “So, you’ve figured out that I’m impulsive and Russell likes to burn other people’s things when he shamelessly flirts.” The last was included with a quick wink to Russell. “Your turn to share with the class. Like Naomi asked – what things do you like to do when you’re not Eff-bee-eying or measuring skulls to determine personality?” There was a hint of challenge in her tone – they’d all said a few things about their personal lives. Was he brave enough to share?

One might have expected Russell to blush at the wink from Blitz, but instead he seemed unphased. Either his skin was already hot enough that it didn't turn red, or he just took it in stride. If the man did have any secrets, then the subject of his attractions clearly wasn't one of them.

"Sorry, Gary," He apologized in advance, "I usually don't take sides, but what can I say? Giving people the third degree is what I do best." His smile was wide and flashy, emphasizing the joke, "Got any special skills that wouldn't be good in the circus?"

Rebecca likes what she's hearing. Perhaps once everyone starts getting to know each other there'll be less conflict. That... would make her job easier.

"Yeah... What HH said... Should know what you're trained for so if we need a certain skill we can put the best of you... and us forward."

She sits down on the floor and starts taking the stuff out of her wilderness-hike sized backpack... she indeed looks packed for a LONG trip. Survivalist style. First Aid kits, raingear, small toolkit, lots of boxes of indeterminate contents. She starts sorting them out. "Me? I always like being prepared. So I decided to get some supplies to add to any probable stock our host provides."

She frowns "Although I'm not sure on the raingear I got... I went with the one size fits most philosophy and... might be slightly baggy on us with more lithe frames."

Suddenly the inner door opened, and in strode a tall, athletic-looking man in his mid-thirties; his brown hair was pulled back in a ponytail and his beard was neatly trimmed into a Van Dyke. His silk dress shirt and dark slacks looked to be expensive and tailored, and the Swiss watch on his wrist was easily worth a few hundred dollars. His eyes looked tired, though his overall expression spoke of amusement. He raised a hand in greeting, while the other held what looked like a large duffel bag. To anyone familiar with Lake City or professional baseball, this could only be Mike Kolansky, multimillion dollar developer and owner of the Lake City Ramblers

"Hi guys, sorry to keep you waiting." He looked down at Superball's unpacked supplies. "Wow, you already broke out the survival gear; that was a long phone call." The handsome man with the tired eyes did a quick headcount. Okay, it looks like I got here before you resorted to cannibalism, so at least...hey, where's Kiki?" His deep brown eyes were filled with mock concern.

"Coming, coming!" The redhead bellowed as she came running, pushing a metal cart laden with goodness.

"Whew, okay!" Mike wiped his brow. "I hate typing up help wanted ads!" He set the bag on the ground and began to rummage around in it as Kiki made her way through the double doors with the cart. "So to those who don't know me, I'm Mike Kolansky, and welcome to the team! Before we do anything else, I just need to-" And now he pulled a small cast iron skillet out of the bag, big enough to fry one egg or make a grilled cheese sandwich.

Kiki rolled her eyes as she set out the drinks and began filling cups of coffee. "Oh Jesus, Mike, really?"

He nodded firmly. "Yes, really." And then he began to do the oddest thing: holding the small pan like it was some sort of Geiger counter, he began to pass it slowly over each of the new recruits. Seemingly satisfied, he then began to wave it around the room, like it was a sword, dodging this way and that.

"You look like a total goofball."

"Quiet, Keek, I can't miss an inch!"

The young woman sighed as she handed out drinks to those who requested them. At last Mike stopped and looked satisfied, until he shot the drink cart a suspicious glance; with great gravity, he extended the pan out at tapped the cart.

"Okay, now you're completely insane."

"Am I? You know how good she is with furniture!" The reclusive billionaire placed the pan on the cart and clapped his hands together. "So, welcome to the Team Formerly Known As Team Stalwart! Oh, I have something for you, Blitz; I read your file, so I thought..." He reached into the duffel bag and pulled out a large box of Legos. "There's over four thousand pieces in that kit, and five others upstairs in the hobby room." He laughed ruefully. "I have a lot of sleepless nights myself, so I appreciate the problem of having too much free time."

Mike turned around one of the desks and took a seat. "So before we begin, I'm sure you have a lot of questions, so let's see if we can sort those out right now. Anyone?"

Superball starts packing up her gear she was getting organized back into her backpack. "Oh... sorry for that mess, just double checking some supplies."

"Hmm... questions..." She says, sitting in the desk where she was at. "Hmm. I'm suprised at the level of security here... Who was responsible for it? Also... that was some nice armor, yours I take it. Well made. Sometime we'll have to trade notes."

Hellhound glanced around at his new teammates, and his new boss. He took a large gulp of scalding hot coffee as he listened to Superball, the temperature didn't seem to bother him.

"Or, how about this big one? What happened to the last team Stalwart? And what's with all the strange security shenanigans?" He spoke with one hand wrapped around his coffee, the other in the pocket of his dark blue jeans.

Barghest: It looks like some sort of arcane detection.

Russell: Yea, but what exactly?

Barghest: Don't know. Love to see what he cooks up next, though!

"Sorry, but I can't just let the elephant in the room go unnoticed." The apology was rather offhanded. Hellhound certainly didn't seem sorry about being so direct.

"I don't think there is a need to apologize, sounds like a fair question to me..." Naomi says, nodding in agreement with Hellhound. "But my interest is purely from a historical perspective, mind you. I mean you guys were a superteam... I think that shows there is some trust to be had in our Host's intentions."

"Hmm... questions..." She says, sitting in the desk where she was at. "Hmm. I'm suprised at the level of security here... Who was responsible for it? Also... that was some nice armor, yours I take it. Well made. Sometime we'll have to trade notes."

Mike slowly shook his head. "Actually I did not design that armor. I'm not technical at all; I just have deep pockets and a passion for justice, and some halfway decent organizational skills. You'll meet the designer shortly, who was one of the two men to wear it."

"Or, how about this big one? What happened to the last team Stalwart? And what's with all the strange security shenanigans?" He spoke with one hand wrapped around his coffee, the other in the pocket of his dark blue jeans.

The 'boss man' indicated both Superball and Hellhound with a nod. "To answer both your questions, Team Stalwart had three members." He held up three fingers. "Two Stalwarts, Alpha and Beta, and later an Assistant Special Deputy, known to the world as Grimalkin." He sighed and rubbed his face and slid a glance to Kiki, who slumped into a desk chair glumly. "The two Stalwarts idea came to us from, well to be honest, from watching the first Scream. Remember how there were two guys who were the killer?" Suddenly he looks embarrassed. "Oh jeez, I just spoiled the ending; I'm sorry if you haven't seen it yet!"

Kiki laughed out loud at that, happy for the sudden change in tone. "Uh, Mike? I wouldn't worry about that too much."

He nodded distractedly. "Right, right. So, two Stalwarts made for easier alibis, fewer manhours per person, and we could create the illusion that he was everywhere at once if we needed to. Grimalkin, as a shapeshifter and mistress of misdirection, greatly increased our intelligence gathering capability, and she really added a lot to the team in terms of enthusiasm and fresh ideas." He gave Blitz a wink and a sad smile.

Both he and Kiki smile at happy memories, but then Mike's face clouded over. "Grim's last mission was deep undercover, infiltrating the XP block at Baker County Correctional to see if William Carmichael was in fact running a criminal organization from behind bars." He shifted uncomfortably. "We don't know everything that happened while she was in there. There was another complication as well; Grim was dating one of the Stalwarts, which I knew about but allowed to happen." He looked deeply embarrassed. "Various factors came into play, and Grim...went rogue. Her powers are faerie-based, hence the iron."

He spread his hands.

"That's what you get on the first day."

Naomi nods. "I see. And I'm sorry."

She then switches from her apologetic face to a face of anticipation. "Oh, and I would love to see the person who built that armor at some point, Mr. Kolansky!"

She smiles, adjusting her suit a little bit. Seems every time she runs her suit's systems it never retracts completely right. She adjusts the collar of her suit.

Val squeaked in delight when she saw the Legos – this was like the best job ever. In a motion that snapped clothing and threw loose paper around the room, she zipped to his side, accepted the toy, said the fastest thanks ever, and zipped back to her cleared spot on the floor. As the talks started and Russell (sadly) stood up, Val began to lay out the pieces by size, seeing what she had available. This process was going to take about five minutes or so.

She was listening, however, and the occasional glance at Mike proved it. The pieces were lining up rapidly as their boss spoke; Blitz’s hands were a blur of movement. Her surprise at Mike’s story was apparent when her fingers slowed the others could see the motions of her organizing.

Blitz opened her mouth to ask more and then shut it. A chill shook her, but it was gone before the others had noticed it. There were a lot of similarities between her and Grim; both were eager, both turned their backs on their previous lives and then there was the romance thing. Val knew Russell was probably interested and she knew she was definitely interested in him. But that brought up two interesting points.

First, that was three connections to the woman who she was pretty sure had caused the downfall of the old team. Mike had left out some details, but Val could piece the bits together. Grim had betrayed and left them, just as she had betrayed and left the Razers. Val wasn’t sure what it meant, if anything, but it was enough to make her nervous.

Second, and probably more troubling, was the implication that dating was forbidden between members of the team. Mike had said that he’d known about it – which meant that he shouldn’t have been aware – and that he’d allowed it – which hinted that he shouldn’t have permitted it. That kinda blew Blitz’s mind; after all, in the Razers, dating had been part of the culture. Everyone had been dating, or wanting to date another member. After all, who better to have a relationship with than someone who knew your secret life already?

Man, being a hero is way more complicated than I thought. Also… what’s wrong with dating co-workers?

"Fair enough," Russell conceeded, though he made a mental note not to be too open about his interest in Blitz. What might have worked once might not work again. He doubted his new boss would be so permitting this time around. He chanced a sideways glance behind him to the floor, Damn, she is going to be hard to ignore, he thought, in more ways than one, I'm sure.

He nodded as Mike finished speaking, "Well, that's enough history for me for one day. I'm good to move on to current events if you'd like."

Superball, on 14 October 2011 - 05:48 PM, said:

"With the way he's being mum you'd think he was a Secret Agent, not Special Agent!" Naomi chuckles out, her mood definately improving from her faux-pas just a moment ago.

Hellhound, on 14 October 2011 - 05:59 PM, said:

"Sorry, Gary," He apologized in advance, "I usually don't take sides, but what can I say? Giving people the third degree is what I do best." His smile was wide and flashy, emphasizing the joke, "Got any special skills that wouldn't be good in the circus?"

It hadn't taken long, one moment they were carefree and the next they were confronting him, pressing him for information. Even less time for the assumptions, joking or otherwise, to pour out. He shook his head, about to reply when the situation resolved to prevent it. Their employer entered and began waving a black iron cooking utensil at them all. Gary was starting to wonder just what kind of assignment this would be. Thankfully the explaination for the iron came shortly thereafter. Grimalkin: traitorous fae. Gary absorbed it all in silence, watching his team, and watching Mike, ruminating on the details.

Finally he broke his silence, while he could get a word in, "Clearly you aren't intending to follow the same approach. Perhaps you can explain what it is you've brought us here for, and how it is that we are going to follow Stawart's legacy?"

"So... if we ever entangle with Grimalkin, make sure we have some iron with us. Got it." Naomi says as she goes over more of what was said.

As she nibbles on what was brought, she starts taking notes down on her tablet computer.

Notepad - LCU.txt
1: Grimalkin - Faerie
Study any and all abilities of Faekind, as well as weaknesses. One known so far: Iron.

2: Blitz
Blitz is a pretty funny girl... not sure I would trust her with nitro-glycerin, but she's a kid. Well... I guess in a way I still am.

3: S.A. Samson
This guy... those eyes... if it wasn't for the fast he's my teammate... my heart flutters just a little bit.

4: Hellhound
This guy oozes cool. Although he has a quality to him that is... unnerving. I'm sure he means well but I can't shake the sense there is something off about his deal.
[/CODE]

"And a new name, since Team-Formerly-Known-As-Stalwart is kinda wordy. I vote for Team Awesome," Blitz said, still on the floor. Apparently, she had no doubt that her team would be awesome, despite the fate of the last team and her own similarities to the women who'd destroyed it.

Her separations of blocks was complete, and she turned her attention to building. A shape was taking form with dizzying speed, something building-like. Mike would probably be the first to realize.that she was building a rough replica of the Augustus Steinmetz Piano Company. But while she worked and listened, she was also musing. Do I really know what I'm doing? At least with the Razers, I knew where I stood, all the time. Memories of Christina and that girl who had died filled her mind and Blitz knew once again, with utter certainty, that she didn't belong there, either. She could chart her own path, or try to work it out here.

And here was better than being alone again.

"Team Awesome sounds a little too cliche, don't you think?" Russell spoke flatly, observing with some slight astonishment at the rate with which the Leggos all but assembled themselves. "It would be better if our name had something to do with the fact that we're the second team to accept this beat. But we have to make it seem like we're different than the first, to throw off any bad preconceptions they might have about us."

Russell drained the last half of the coffee with one long gulp, then set it down smartly on the table nearby. "Re- something. Hmmm. No. That's cliche too." He thought for a moment, his eyes fixed on his coffee cup. Then he smiled, and snapped the fingers that had been holding the cup a moment earlier. Those watching closely might have seen a hint of sparks and embers project from his fingertips, "I've got a good one: Dauntless. Feel free to stick 'team' or whatever in front of it, but I think that word, at least, captures the spirit of what we're trying for." There was a certain conviction in his eyes that was difficult to ignore, I swear, Marie, I'll make it up to you. I think this team is just the place to start.

"Team Echelon would be a proper name. Stalwart was the defenders, it seems we must expand out and take on things more head-on. Seems that there may be a lot out there now that has to be dealt with. From the stories I've read in my younger days regarding faeries, they are a fickle, mischievous sort willing to do anything to up their own agenda."

Naomi gets more comfortable in her seat. "We seem to be a group more dedicated to 'putting out the fires' as it were in a more mobile and proactive manner. Wouldn't you think?"

Russel balked, "Putting them out, you say?"

Barghest: Putting them out, she says?

Russell: She don't know us very well, do she?

Barghest: Know us?! Has she met us?!

The look Russell regarded Superball with was a dubious one. "Right. I'll just let that one go," He smiled, shook his head, and laughed a little. "And she's supposed to be the brains of the operation?" Russell asked Blitz jerking a thumb over his shoulder toward Superball as he sat in a nearby chair.

"To be completely honest, sir," Russell spoke to their host again, "I don't care what you call us. As long as it involves the least amount of pink and fluffiness as possible. Unicorns are okay, though."

"Perhaps," Gary said and shrugged a little. "Or perhaps we can hold off on such things until we know what our mandate is and how we're to carry that out? I'm not even aware if this is to be a public ..." he grimaced, "team, or not. A fancy name does little good if we are going to be working quietly from behind the scenes and on the fringe of more official, and news friendly public response groups like the police and FBI." The older man, older at least as compared to those in the room it would seem, leaned forward, his tie dangling down like the tail of a noose from his throat, "Our headquarters? Rendered in four color plastic brick glory? Quite impressive Val, do you have a photographic memory, or just a gift for art?"

Naomi just looks up from her tablet before returning to her note taking.

Addendum
Subject Hellhound:
Never leave him an opening. Grade A Comedian.[/code]

"A building like this is a pretty easy build. Then again this does show a pretty good attention to detail. I'm impressed myself. I would make a 3D rendering on my tablet but... that might create a security situation if my hardware is comprimised."

"No gift, I've just ducked out of the room a couple of times to check my memory," she said flippantly. It was hard to tell if she was really saying she was that fast or pulling their leg. "Plus, I'm a lego master. I should work for the company building those big displays at their theme parks." It was the speed that allowed her to make it seem so effortless - she saw the flaws as she built and could deconstruct and reconstruct before the others realized it. It was all slight of hand, made possible by her inhuman speed.

Looking up, she gave Russell a fleeting and far more professional smile than she had previously and added, "As for names... toss Resolute in there for consideration, too. After all, it's like Dauntless, but has the 'Re-' beginning. And I'd like a name for us, if only for us to use. It gives an identity, makes us feel like we belong. After all, Gary, don't you think of yourself as FBI? Doesn't that give you something to be?" She needed that. She had to know what she belonged to, because otherwise, she saw herself as a former-Razer. She needed to be a current-something, if only in her own head.

"And I was wondering, Mike - do we have any kind of training facilities? I'd like to watch the others in action. Naomi and Gary have said their not front-line combatants, but I'd like to see what they've got in a high-pressure situation." The Razers had practiced all the time, and thought Blitz had hated walking away with all the bruises and aches, she knew it had made them a better team. At least Johnny wasn't around this time to do 'practice' his nerve strikes on her.

Naomi gulps.

"Blitz... uh... while I got some defenses I'm... not exactly the best choice for sparring..." She says letting off a shy giggle. "If anything I would have to train with everyone to best know everyone's strengths. Not just mine. The tactical possibilites for this team can be infinite if we know how to properly operate."

She steeples her fingers as she leans back. "But... I could use some toughening up. Just... not looking forward to the bruises."

"After all, Gary, don't you think of yourself as FBI? Doesn't that give you something to be?" She needed that. She had to know what she belonged to, because otherwise, she saw herself as a former-Razer. She needed to be a current-something, if only in her own head.

"I do, but I don't advertise it unless I need to. I also consider myself an American." Gary had a certain dry delivery that made it difficult to tell if he was teasing or not. He smiled though, "For internal use though, as you all see fit, it doesn't matter to me."

"And I was wondering, Mike - do we have any kind of training facilities? I'd like to watch the others in action. Naomi and Gary have said their not front-line combatants, but I'd like to see what they've got in a high-pressure situation."

"Hmm, that may prove problematic. For us to train as a team would require something or someone to train against. My powers ..." Gary looked uncomfortable for the first time, "I'd rather not apply my abilities to other people, even for training purposes, and inanimate objects are notably immune to the telepathic effects I use. I'm not sure that I will be able to train with you all adequately."

"Use me." Russell piped up, he eyed Gary warily. Part of him was confident that he could take one for the team, and see them all benefit for it. The other part of him wasn't so confident. It was afraid of what Gary might really be capable of. Still, he soldiered on, "I'm no stranger to taking a beating, really. And the others are correct. We need to know exactly what we're all capable of. If we can't work together like a well oiled machine, we'll just fall apart like Stalwart did. Apologies if that wound is still a little fresh, Mike, but this needs to be said:" He looked around the room at the others, his eyes moving onto the next person after every question he asked, starting with Superball, "You know I can hit things, but how hard?" His gaze passed over Blitz, "I brag about being tough, but just how tough am I?" Finally his eyes came to rest on Gary, "And possibly most importantly, in case we run up against another psychic, is knowing exactly how powerful you are," His voice adopted a slightly darker tone, "And exactly how resistant I am."

"Actually," Blitz said with a little bit of a sigh, "we should all be tested by each other. As for sparring, we should practice together, even at our disparate levels. Naomi, I know you're not a front-line fighter, but you might have to fight. And when you do, you'll have an easier time of it if you've practiced ahead of time. It's like any other skill - the more to you work at it, the easier it comes. So Gary should try to brain-fry all of us - unless your damage is permanent," Blitz added with a nervous frown. "If you cause brain damage, then no, we shouldn't practice. But we should all spar together - like Gary and I versus Hellhound and Superball. Or three-on-ones, or free-for-alls. And we really need to know where the others are weak. I know I've got a relatively weak defense against people like Gary. So I should be tested by him too. We should know our fears so that we can be there for one another.

"For example, I'm not a fan of fire and demons," Blitz said, her eyes moving to Russell. "I've had a couple of run-ins that haven't gone well." Jacob and then that thing - she still had nightmares about Christina's screams. "So I need to get used to having a guy whose called Hellhound throwing fire and demonic stuff around. If I had to try to get used to it during a fight, I'd fail miserably. Combat's sucky enough without dealing with something that freaks you out for the first time." She glanced at Russell. "Or at least, I assume you are somehow tied to the 'Down-Below' from the name. Not prying. Just assuming."

Suddenly, she wished Jessie were here - he always made a joke about 'Down-Below' being Australia. I wonder where he is.

I wonder if someday, I'll have to fight him.

"For example, I'm not a fan of fire and demons," Blitz said, her eyes moving to Russell. "I've had a couple of run-ins that haven't gone well."

Russell raised his eyebrows, not sure if she was being truthful, or just trying to throw Mike off a trail.

"So I need to get used to having a guy whose called Hellhound throwing fire and demonic stuff around. If I had to try to get used to it during a fight, I'd fail miserably. Combat's sucky enough without dealing with something that freaks you out for the first time." She glanced at Russell. "Or at least, I assume you are somehow tied to the 'Down-Below' from the name. Not prying. Just assuming."

Russell indulged her, "Tied? No. It's kinda sorta more like being chained."

Barghest: Rattle, rattle, rattle!

Russell: Stop that. You're not helping.

Barghest: Sure I am. She said she wanted to get used to it.

Russell: You're impossible sometimes.

Barghest: Yea, yea. It's Hell, isn't it. ;)

"Just realize this: I'm really not a complicated guy. It's not often that I make a point of holding things about me back." Russell sat back in the chair and fanned his arms open, "What you see is what you get." He folded his arms once more, "But bottom line? I can agree with all of what you said, sure."

Gary shook his head in frustration, "It's complicated. I don't know what could happen. I've always avoided using my powers as a weapon." He held up a hand, forestalling comment, "Telepathic attacks aren't as ... effortless, if that's the right word, as throwing a punch. I'm not just slinging about some 'mental muscle'. I'm invading another's mind, forcing them to see, and feel, and do what I want. Something as innocuous as that deck of cards was a strain, especially at your speed Val. For me to attack somebody violently, I have to touch their mind on a deeper level." Gary shuddered, memories of disturbed minds were like a stain in his mind. His doctor, the one who'd helped him with his powers, had suggested that an eidetic memory was easily within his ability, but Gary was unwilling, he didn't always want to remember what he'd seen and done. "It's even worse if I try to hurt somebody. Being inside them as you tear their mind apart. Feeling somebody die, from the inside ..." Gary stared at the floor with haunted eyes.

Val smiled at Russell's words as she thought, And what I see I like! Remembering where she was and what her boss had said, Blitz pulled her eyes back to Mike before giving her attention to her legos. She listened to Gary talk and was struck by just how good these people were. They were all so different from her last team and it scared her a little. How would she ever belong here?

I could go back. I could make something up. I could get back into the Razers. The comfort in that thought came only from the appeal of the familiar because honestly, she mostly hadn't liked the Razers. There had been fun people there, but not too many. And even they weren't as good as these people.

The import and sheer change of what she was trying to do hit her suddenly, and it was terrifying.

With effort, she swallowed her fear. Try it. Give it a chance. You can be good, too. "So what do you do in a fight to keep the bad guys from winning?" she asked Gary, curious.

"I didn't say I wouldn't do it. I said I don't like to. If it's an us versus them, or a me versus somebody situation I do what everybody does; I do everything I can to survive." He stopped to consider for a moment. "The stuff I do, its psychological, its as invasive as... as rape in some ways I suppose. Violation of a persons most basic self." That was said with an edge of distaste. "It's not pleasant for them, or for me."

"Well, here's the way I see it," Blitz said, stopping her mad building to show them that she was being utterly serious. "The bad guys aren't going to hold back in a fight. They aren't going to care that they're violating us. So... we need to experience that so in a fight, we know how to bear it. The first time you get hit in the face is the worst, because in time, you learn to get through the pain. Or you die," she added with a bit of a smirk to attempt levity. "But let's remove that option from the table, m'kay? I'm startin' to like you people!"

Naomi closes the helmet on her suit. "Well... at least I can protect the most important hardware on me." She says with a giggle, leaning forward on to her desk. "Nice thing is you guys get hurt and I can patch you up. Why you think I picked high visibility colors for the suit? It's not for looks. It's designed for search and rescue."

"Blitz, you have a point... I guess one shouldn't look forward to combat, so I guess I'm in the right frame of mind."

She's not ignoring Gary... hardly... it's just that the concept of mental attack is a bit disconcerting.

Mike had gotten a phone call (he looked like he spent half his waking life on the phone) and was doing his best to keep up with the conversation; for her part, Kiki remained silent as she watched this new team interact with some amusement as she cut and dished up coffee cake and refilled drinks. Finally the 'boss man' managed to end the call and slip his phone back into his pocket.

"Please forgive my rudeness, people; I'm juggling a lot of bowling pins at any given moment, and sometimes my social graces lapse." He scratched his beard in thought. "I'm all for team names as a way of forging a sense of identity and shared purpose. And yes, I do think a public team is a good idea-" Then he gave Gary a wink. "Though not every member needs to have a public face. I leave that up to the individual team members."

He got up and started to pace about the room, something else it looked like he did a lot. "As far as space to tussle and test our your powers, I have good news and bad news on that front; yes, we have an area we've used for these sort of training missions, but no, it is not on-site. It's a secluded outdoor location about a half-hour outside of town; we like to call it-"

"Rusty's Ranch!" Suddenly there was a newcomer in their midst, a devilishly handsome young man with short cropped blond hair and a twinkle in his blue eyes who spoke with a Texas twang. His dress was pure cowboy; jeans, white T-shirt and a pair of well-worn work boots. As he came in through the door, he walked with an odd rolling sort of gait, the mixture of stiffness and swagger you might expect to see in a professional stuntman or rodeo rider. "My ears were burnin' earlier; were you tellin' them all how awesome I am at buildin' stuff?"

Mike grinned and shook his head. "No, Bo, but this young lady-" He indicated Superball with a nod. "Was looking forward to meeting you. Glad you could make it, man." The two men embrace warmly like brothers, then Bo playfully grabs Mike's ass, which makes the boss sputter, laugh and go red in the face. "Hey now, none of that; we have impressionable young people here!"

Bo nodded his head and grinned as he hiked himself onto the back of a chair. "Fair 'nough, fair 'nough, no worries. How is everybody this fine October day? Y'all ready to go out there and get yer asses whupped and like it?" He slapped his thigh. "Then hot damn, you signed up with the right outfit! My name is LeBeau Justinian Chambers, but most folks call me 'Bo' or 'Super Genius' or 'that annoying redneck who blows stuff up', all of which I answer to." He spotted Kiki and gave her a wink. "Hey there, hot stuff! Can you make me a coffee jus' like I like it? If you do, I'll be your friend forever!"

The redhead rolled her eyes and she started to fix him a cup. "Yes, Bo, anything for you..."

"Thank you ever-so-much, darlin', you're a peach. So, Rusty's Ranch is a piece of property owned by a good friend of mine named Rusty, as you might have guessed; he's a Wisconsin redneck and a true soul brother who's daddy invented a valve of some sort that made him rich and crazy, and when he died, he left his money and craziness to Rusty, which worked out well for us. It's fifty acres of wooded property covered in junked cars, trucks and whatnot, and Rusty lives there in a big ol' trailer with his satellite dish and three nasty dogs. Me and Rusty go way back, and he lets us run 'round out there and play paintball, test dangerous equipment and the like, and he just watches and drinks PBR the whole time. So everyone benefits, really."

He pointed out the oversized windows to the three Stalwart suits on display in the gallery. "Yep, I made those suits over there, and wore the second one for what, five, six years?" He shook his head in disbelief. "Crazy just to think about it, aint it?" He rolled up his pant leg to unveil some truly wicked scars. "This one finally put me out to pasture; I don't regenerate the way John does, so I'm too slow to fight them bad guys now." He shrugged as he hid the scar once more. "S'alright, figure I had a good run..."

Naomi opens the helmet again, this time making sure Bo sees it. "Ah... I can see you have the talent and skill, Bo. I'm Naomi Cartwright... my friends also call me Superball. I'm sure I'll get the chance to demonstrate why I got that name soon enough. And thank you for appearing today. I would love to go over the schematics of the suits at some point to get some ideas how I can upgrade my suit as time progresses."

It is obvious to Bo what Naomi has is advanced... higher tech than what he was working with in the Stalwart suits. But where did she hide the body armor sections and why is it so brightly colored?

Bo nodded his head and grinned as he hiked himself onto the back of a chair. "Fair 'nough, fair 'nough, no worries. How is everybody this fine October day? Y'all ready to go out there and get yer asses whupped and like it?" He slapped his thigh. "Then hot damn, you signed up with the right outfit! My name is LaBeau Justinian Chambers, but most folks call me 'Bo' or 'Super Genius' or 'that annoying redneck who blows stuff up', all of which I answer to."

"Well, I can already tell which of those names I'll be using to refer to you." Russell said with a smile, "Oh right, manners. Russell Buchanan, or Hellhound for short." Russell stood and offered his hand for shaking, sans fire this time, of course.

"And it does sound like a good run. Provided you can still run, of course," Russell joked.

Val inhaled sharply at Russell's full name. Unfortunately, she'd paused in her building to accept some coffee cake and that inhale meant that she shot cake down the wrong pipe. The girl succumbed to a coughing fit that was machine gun fast in its intensity. As every eye in the room focused on her, Blitz managed to wrangle the bit of food down her throat - as opposed to her windpipe. "Hi, Bo," she rasped, taking the soda that a concerned Kiki was offering. "Blitz."

Dear god... I have to get out of here, Blitz thought, drinking soda to clear her throat and trying to think. Just whatever you do... don't. Panic.

I'd forgotten how cute he was.

Focus! Not on the cute boy whose going to get you caught!

"So... tour?" Blitz asked nervously. "Before I find something else to choke on? I'm pretty good at that, you know. Finding stuff I shouldn't be messing with and... you know. Getting into trouble with it." I am blushing. I look and sound like a moron. Can I please sink into the earth and never be seen again? Please? No? And people wonder why I don't believe in God...

Gary nodded to the newcomer and introduced himself, but was otherwise quiet. He watched, he observed, and when he had something to say he said it, but at the moment there were more questions on the table than answers and there was little point in asking more he felt. The others greeted Bo as well, and Blitz seemed to take his appearance with a little shock; he'd noted her sudden gasp, brief though it was, when he came in an introduced himself. Unfortunately he didn't know anything about either of these men, and while Russ' full name tickled his memory he couldn't quite grasp it and recall why.

Naomi opens the helmet again, this time making sure Bo sees it. "Ah... I can see you have the talent and skill, Bo. I'm Naomi Cartwright... my friends also call me Superball. I'm sure I'll get the chance to demonstrate why I got that name soon enough. And thank you for appearing today. I would love to go over the schematics of the suits at some point to get some ideas how I can upgrade my suit as time progresses."

Bo got a little pink in the cheeks and rubbed the back of his neck. "Well to be honest, I'm more of a tinkerer than a designer; give me a few scrap parts and an O-Cell and I can whip up something halfway decent in a day or two. My real expertise is gravitational engineering, and finding ways to solve problems with a few well-placed gravmags."He vaguely indicated the uncompleted suit at the end. "One of these days I'll have to show you what I was workin' on with the Gamma suit; pinnin' a perp to the ground at long range, or if you prefer, makin' him bounce off the ceiling to knock 'em silly." He grinned and gave her a wink. "Fun stuff!"

"Well, I can already tell which of those names I'll be using to refer to you." Russell said with a smile, "Oh right, manners. Russell Buchanan, or Hellhound for short." Russell stood and offered his hand for shaking, sans fire this time, of course.

"And it does sound like a good run. Provided you can still run, of course," Russell joked.

Bo returned the handshake firmly. "Nice ta meet ya, Russ, and welcome to th' team!" He slapped his injured leg. "Well I'm not gonna be signin' up for any marathons anytime soon, but I get by."

"So... tour?" Blitz asked nervously. "Before I find something else to choke on? I'm pretty good at that, you know. Finding stuff I shouldn't be messing with and... you know. Getting into trouble with it." I am blushing. I look and sound like a moron. Can I please sink into the earth and never be seen again? Please? No? And people wonder why I don't believe in God...

The handsome good ol' boy grinned and shook his head, assuming Blitz was reacting to his chiselled good looks; from the look on his face, he was used to and fully enjoyed the 'attention'.

"Well there, Miss Blitz, I'm 'fraid I got some bad news for your young self." He hooked his thumbs into his belt loops and drew himself up to his full height. "Y'see, I am a gentleman of the homosexual persuasion, and though your youthful charms are not entirely wasted on me, I must inform you that I am in a committed, stable relationship with a two hunnerd fifty pound former bouncer named Raoul." He spread his hands and shook his head ruefully. "I know this must come as a blow, but there ya go, so..."

Mike did his best to hide a smile behind his hand. "Yes, a tragedy, to be sure. So, let's do a quick tour, and then I'm going to have you meet a few members of local law enforcement. Follow me, and bring your drinks."

With a little wave, Kiki left to go back to the front desk and Bo excused himself with a gentlemanly bow. I work down on the first floor most days, least when I'm not up here in the command center on the horn with you folks. I'll see you soon!"

Now free to play host by himself, Mike brought the group out into the library, which they hadn't gotten a very good chance to see before. The black bookshelves looked to be straight out of Ikea (bookcase Billy, to be exact), but the were crammed full of books and well-organized. Two long dark table were also present, with old-fashioned library lamps with green glass shades. Two computer stations were in opposite corners, and the carpeting was thick and soft.

"So, this is obviously the library; I forget how many books we have, but it's several thousand. Fiction, non-fiction and reference." He pointed at the two terminals. "You can use those or the Clubhouse secured wifi connection."

The boss led the group out the back door into a short hallway. "We're now heading for the gym; it's not huge, but it's pretty good, I think. Showers are over here, and-" He opened the next door, and a large room opened to the right. "Sauna, whirlpool and closet for towels...back fire stairs there." The gym proper was bright and well-lit, with hardwood floors and two large windows opening into the central atrium. There were two full weight sets, as well as various rowing machines, fixed cycles and wrestling mats. Mike stamped on the floor loudly. "These floors were designed to hold pianos, so the weight sets are extra-big for super-strong folk. Here's the back elevator - I'll give you all security passes and entry codes, so you don't have to use the front door. We've got access via sewer tunnels to several nearby buildings and alleyways."

He stopped by the next door, and gave Superball a significant look. "And this is the last stop for the tour, at least on this floor: your lab." He swung the door open dramatically to reveal a well-stocked labspace, with up-to-date safety equipment and testing gear. "I'm not very scientific, but I basically let Bo go nuts with a supply catalog. And of course safety is very important to me." He looked expectantly to the rest of the group. "Any questions before we head upstairs and see your quarters?"

"Finally someone else working on gravitics like me... I'd have to look at his notes now more than ever!" Naomi thinks.

She was about to ask Bo more when she sees... Heaven.

"Oh my... By Einstein's hair this..." She sees every piece of equipment and gear set nicely in position and properly stowed where necessary. "...is beautiful."

People paying attention to her would see a tear in her eye. She pauses for a minute to look around, and for everyone else to speak before saying; "Oh... sorry you were saying something about our quarters?"

Archived