Heritage Posted October 8, 2011 Share Posted October 8, 2011 October 7th, 2011 5:00 pm The corner of 27th and Blackwell is pretty famous in Lake City, since it's been associated with the Ramblers Baseball Club since 1933; Calumet Park's favorite sons first went to bat against the Chicago White Stockings on a rainy April afternoon in old Springer Field, losing to Chicago 14-6, setting a trend that would last for decades. The American League's 'lovable losers' would struggle for years to achieve some sort of respectability, and things stayed pretty much the same once they switched to the National League in '96. Across 27th stands the former Augustus Steinmetz Piano Company, a solid five story building with thick oak floors and heavy masonry construction dating back to 1889; Kolansky Development Partners, the current owners of the block, did extensive remodeling when they purchased the building in 2004, the same year ground was broken for the new stadium. Four remarkable individuals have been invited to head to the third floor this day; they find the remodeled lobby to feature dark wood paneling and antique brass lighting fixtures. There's a single metal reinforced door with a peephole and security buzzer, and an old fashioned elevator, complete with the wrought iron grate. On the wall is a sign: DIRECTORY FIRST FLOOR - MARSH ELECTRONICS SECOND FLOOR - KOLANSKY DEVELOPMENT PARTNERS THIRD FLOOR - KDP INTERNATIONAL FOURTH FLOOR - KDP INTERNATIONAL FIFTH FLOOR - SUNDANCER YOGA STUDIO ALL DELIVERIES GO TO REAR DOCK There is a slightly musty smell in the air, laced with hints of furniture polish and hot solder. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.