The Monday Knights

Forge

A funny webseries with a fresh social media twist, The Monday Knights follows a group of young gamers who escape the drudgery of daily life through their imaginary Dungeons & Dragons-inspired world. Our Napoleon Dynamite-meets-Lord of the Rings adventure comedy is set both in the characters' real world and within their game world (using vibrant computer-generated environments). With our backers' help, we’ll be able to realize the groundbreaking social media idea that we're really excited about: A website design that gives viewers the ability to directly influence the show’s story as it unfolds. You can read more about it on their Kickstarter.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My brother, the director, does all of the CG in Cinema 4D. Editing is done in Adobe Premier, mostly. I've been doing all the sound in Adobe Audition with a little help from Audacity. For episode 1, we set up a bunch of orange dots on the green screen so that the camera could be moving during shooting and still match the 3D background, but as you can probably see, actors crossed the dots many times and they are visible in the final product. Now my brother is doing nearly every (green-screen) camera movement in post. Also, starting with episode 7, he got a lot of backgrounds from Worldworks Games, so a lot of the backgrounds are actual images from awesome boardgame pieces, which adds a lot. Post is a ton of work, but it is so cool to see an episode transform to its final stage. Everytime I get the rough cut, I think we really messed up and it's going to suck, but once everything is added it seems to come together. I just talked to my brother, and it sounds like the next project will not involve a CG world. Way too much time.

If you've stuck with us this far, I don't think you'll be dissappointed with the ending. In fact, the final two episodes are probably the strongest. We poured a lot of resources into 11 especially. Thanks for your support, guys, and for giving us a space to share our work!

Very cool. I own a video production company so I always enjoy hearing what others are doing. I think it has looked pretty good so far.

If you do it again I recommend using green Xs instead of orange circles. As long as there is contract between the colors it has worked a lot better for us when tracking green screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived