Alphas

jameson (ST)

Has anybody else been watching this show? I just watched the season 1 finale and found that after a bit of a slow start the show really got its feet under it and ended quite well. I was curious if anybody else watched with it and stuck with it past the first couple of eps.

For those that haven't seen it, the show is about a group of Alphas who are people with heightened brain chemistry that allows them to do exceptional things. Its basically a low level super human show that manages to be nothing like Heroes and similar to The 4400 in all the right ways.

I enjoyed the whole season, for the most part. There are elements I dislike, but it has enough 'newness' to it to hold my attention and the finale introduced some needed classic elements. I won't say what, even in a spoiler, to avoid ruining it for you, Fox.

The idea of every superpower coming with a drawback is a nice twist, though. You go messing with something as complicated as the brain, and other things go wrong.

So I found out that after the pilot the showrunners changed. One of the guys behind the scenes now is Ira Steven Behr who was showrunner on DS9 (a.k.a. the best of Trrek) and The 4400 (a.k.a. Supers on TV before it was "hip") I gotta say that makes me happy as both of those shows are among my favorite Sci-Fi series.

That is disappointing. Eureka lost its focus several seasons ago, and long since stopped pretending to have anything at all to do with science. Its end is not the crushing downward spiral experienced by shows such as Seaquest, but it is not as good of a show now as it was when it started.

I think you underestimate the stupidity of SyFy lately. They haven't been known for wise programming/staff changes lately.

Cancelling Eureka

Cancelling SGU

Keep moving shows off of 'sci-fi friday' (which hardly exists anymore) against network giants, then cancelling them when they can't compete. Even Sanctuary is dying because of this, and if they hadn't already been extended, would probably be cancelled as well.

/hits the like button for Damon's post.

I've been saying the same thing about SyFy. Seems like they make a habit of cancelling the best shows. Also, on Eureka, I think this last season has been pretty good. Granted, it's not all about the science anymore the way it used to be, but the plot has gotten better. It's not quite so random any more.

I just got done watching the first season and loved it. Well-paced, no episodes went without at least some character development and contribution to the overall plot - events and people in one episode can and do have a knock-on effect in later episodes. I hope the second season continues in that vein, because one thing that kills a show for me is filler. More than one or two episodes of fluffing and I lose my interest. ;)

/hits the like button for Damon's post.

You know we actually have "like" buttons now ;)

I really hope that the change in showrunners doesn't kill the show but nothing about Eureka makes me believe that the new guy has what it takes to continue Alphas with the same quality that Behr left it.

Archived