Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Fiction - A New Deal

Hotstreak

A Year and a half ago, Sonja and Daniel had been a happy couple. Though geography would soon separate them, Sonja and Daniel remained a couple. He was easily among the most handsome men on planet, something her team mates let her know at every opportunity. Still time has a nasty habit of changing things. They were immensely popular, barely escaping the cameras when they were in public together. His stint as a male model, and as an unparalleled firefighter made him widely popular, and with her meteoric rise to lead Teen Tomorrow Europe, he’d made a point of getting her action figure signed. She also had several of his better shots as well.

Still, things came to an end after about eight months. It wasn’t some public spectacle, or even public at all. The end came after a nice romantic dinner, then the two retired to her apartment, and as he began to massage her shoulders, she came out. “Daniel, I’m gay.”

This took him by surprise, but he didn’t explode like she’d expected. “I guess that explains why you and I have been drifting apart lately pretty well doesn’t it?”

“Yeah… It’s not you, Daniel. It’s me.. I’ve been trying to tell you….”

“Sonja it’s ok.” He looked at her and nodded. “I told you once that if you were happy, I’d be okay. I meant it then, and mean it now.”

“I’m a little disappointed.” She looked at him. “Okay, a lot disappointed, but that’s because I’m losing one of the most beautiful women on the planet as a girlfriend, and reverting back to friends.”

“I might be a little mad, but never forget how we came here, together. No matter what, I will always be there for you Sonja. “

There was so much she wished to say, but all she could do was nod. “I think it best if I leave now Sonja. I’ll come around again if you like, but just as a friend.”

“Alright Daniel.”

He turned and left as a streak of fire out the window, not letting Sonja see the tears in his eyes, or wanting to see those in hers. He largely stopped coming to call as often as he had been, and had become increasingly busier with work. She threw herself into the team.

Another eight months passed, Sonja having come out publicly, and in the process forced Teen tomorrow to deal with having an openly gay team leader. She’d observed a strict code against dating teammates, that was too easy of a path to cause problems she simply didn’t want. Many couldn’t believe she’d chosen the other team over Daniel, as he was so breathtakingly attractive.

Daniel waved it off nonchalantly when questioned. “We parted amicably, as friends. “

It was very late one evening, he’d taken up meditation, going back to what he’d done before mixing martial arts and meditation to control his anger and other urges. He was quite skilled at the former, and not so much at the latter. He was on the verge of a breakthrough he felt, he was so close.

He had returned home to his parents, the last place he felt truly comfortable. They gave him a wide berth, it was hard to look at him, his transcendental handsomeness hard to resist, especially since he wasn’t related to them in any actual way. He’d ask for time alone, and they gave it to him, knowing he’d have a good reason for it.

Archived