Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Nature's Path [5.9]

Quantum Fire

Warren said to Cora, "I am and good idea."

Warren said, "Hey Pip, wait up!" and then dropped to the ground and bolted after her.

Warren twisted time just a little to catch up, then he tried to get to the bistro first to hold the door for her; Unfortunately a baseline beat him to it.

Warren said, "Is..."

Realizing they were a little public, he sent mentally, Pip, is something bothering you?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epiphany, being somewhat lost in her own little world, doesn't even notice the baseline. Turning to Warren, 'Something? I only get to have one thing bothering me? There's alot bothering me. Not the least of which is your desire to throw yourself into the past where none of us can help you if you get in trouble! I am having a very hard time coming to grips with my part in a murder, and with assimilating the mind of the dead guy. On top of that you go shattering the network jaunting into the past to do who knows what who knows when in an effort to . . . what? I'm hoping you arn't trying to get yourself killed, because I couldn't handle that. I'm just starting to get to the point where I really want to spend time with you and you keep throwing yourself at death like it's a challenge. We're all so very vulnerable and every time you do take one of those trips you're increasing the likelihood that someone out there knows about you and will be ready for you the next time. And here I am caring about you and worried and not able to do anything to help you or stop you. I can't do this. I'm frayed and worried and trying to figure out how to make thing better for everyone but while I might have these stupid powers they arn't enough! I can't fix things, I can't make it better or make it right and I can't lose you!' Her eyes never leaving his face, Pip doesn't notice the crowd around them, many seeing her apparently angry at Warren and starting to work themselves up into doing something about it.

"Excuse me," Shaman said then he slams the palm of his hand to his forehead.

"Well, now that we've got that out of the way ... ah ... why don't you show me around ... starting with that bathroom."

Coraline chuckled, "You can call what I'm doing now... Hmm, me *with* make up so I don't attract quite so much attention from Baselines and other Novas in public when I don't want to. But yeah, let's go. You can fly, right? I know a place between us and the palace so my siblings can have their fight in a much privacy as they remember to maintain."

She lifted a little off the ground, smile far less entrancing than normal but still sincere and recognizably hers.

'Fight?'

'Best not get involved in this one. Sounds like mating season and only one of them got the invitation.'

'OH!'

Shaman felt the winds all around him. He tapped into their mischief and whimsy, cajoling them to his side. The wind picked up and with a serene look that he rarely got unless the quantum was flowing through him, Shaman rose up into the air. The breeze plucked at him, but in a playful manner.

'Time to rise like the eagle.'

'In these streets, a hummingbird would be more appropriate.'

'Point taken.'

Shaman wasn't anywhere as fast, or controlled, in the air as Coraline, but he seemed to be having as much fun, if not more. It was as if the Earth bore his feet and the Wind bore his body, both in the same pattern. This was Shaman in his first, uncensored, happy moment around Coraline, were he shed his ignorance, and confusion for the world he had been thrust into. With the plain, simple act of flying, Coraline could see the boy take strength. For all her worries, had she ever felt such a sensation. If so, had that feeling faded under the weight of her powers and responsibilities? Were had it gone?

Ignoring the baselines, Warren sent back calmly, he hoped reassuringly, You're not going to lose me. I attack between ticks of the clock and don't leave witnesses to learn from the experience. They've never touched a red shirt, and if they did then it wouldn't matter. If they get the real me then I'll retroactively edit time so they didn't. This isn't about ego, I'm willing to rabbit and take the loss. If it looks like a fair fight I'll run away, promise.

But a few moments ago we were saying someone needs to do something about the second gens being murdered. If not us, then who? If not now, then when? Now that I have the power to make a difference... Pip, I can't stand back and look away while they murder our children. Pip caught an undercurrent to that last thought. How could he call himself worthy of her if he didn't step in?

'How can you step in if you don't know, because as much as you can see, you don't always know. If you did step in, then you have to step in, but you don't know that you did until you do. So for all you know, you're changing things, taking the chance to act from someone else with just as much right, and maybe more need. Maybe when you step in someone else doesn't see what's happening and have the change of heart needed to make them stand up and fight. Maybe one of the bad guys doesn't see the pain his actions are causing and step back and choose to take another side. Maybe a baseline doesn't erupt or a second gen doesn't go through apotheosis. You don't know what you're changing when you do this, what paths arn't taken or are aborted. You decide you must have done something so you do it. Even if, like you say, you can change things so you don't die, what kind of toll does that take on you, even if you're right? And I can't see that you tempting fate like that is a good idea. Besides, no matter how good you are, there is always the possibility of someone better. I'm not saying you can never do or help, just . . . don't take stupid risks. Especially the kind that leave me worrying or terrified. Granted, most risk would leave me worrying or terrified, but try!' Epiphany's expression turned pleading as she silently communicated with him and the baselines around her became confused, not sure what they should do to help her, but all waiting to give her whatever aid she might need.

Warren reached over, took one of Pip's hands, and pressed it flat over his heart. He sent reassuringly, Cross my heart. No stupid risks. And that includes changing history. There are no maybes, it already happened. Either I stepped in, or I didn't, I don't know which so I'll check from far, far away and if I did I'll send in the clones.

Love, I don't want to worry you... but... our history... no one should be made to live like that. Unless you or Alex or Uncle figure out a different way, someone needs to do this.

Deep communication flowed between the two and the baselines grew even more confused. This was an intimate conversation with hearts laid bare, but on levels they couldn't imagine.

Her eyes brimming with tears she couldn't even place a meaning on, Pip stepped closer to Warren, her other hand caressing the side of his face. 'I'm working on figuring out a different way. And it would tear me up to lose you before I had a chance to find it. If it is history, then it will be history tomorrow or next year as well. Please, wait, just a little longer. I think I need you. Terrifying as the thought is, I've gone so long not needing anyone, being willing to lose anyone to protect them. But I that isn't true anymore. I . . . I just want to live in a world where everyone is safe and it doesn't take the people I love risking themselves to save innocents. Maybe it's just a dream and can never be reality, but right now, right now I need that dream I . . .' Epiphany's voice trails off and she goes a bit pale.

Shuddering, she steps closer to Warren, her face pressed into his chest. Her eyes close she fights a battle in her mind, brief but furious. A long moment passes before her voice comes through the link again, its timber weaker and less assured. 'I'm fighting as hard as I can. I will hold it together long enough . . . No, I will beat him, I have to. But I can't do it with my focus split. It's all I can do not to give into the guilt and despair and he plays on that, trying to twist it into something that will give him leverage. I didn't know how strong he was, how much of his mind I was going to have in mine. . . " She trailed off, realizing she might have said too much. She might have given him reason for the same worry she had just berated him for causing her.

Shaman wasn't anywhere as fast, or controlled, in the air as Coraline, but he seemed to be having as much fun, if not more. It was as if the Earth bore his feet and the Wind bore his body, both in the same pattern. This was Shaman in his first, uncensored, happy moment around Coraline, were he shed his ignorance, and confusion for the world he had been thrust into. With the plain, simple act of flying, Coraline could see the boy take strength. For all her worries, had she ever felt such a sensation. If so, had that feeling faded under the weight of her powers and responsibilities? Were had it gone?

First Flight. The confusion and then joy of defying gravity in a three year old's mind. "Mama! Mama! Look at me!"

A pause and a weary chuckle from her mother. "Be careful, Coraline. I don't want you to get..."

Childish feelings of invulnerability. "I won't get hurt! I've seen Papa do this, it's ea..." Thunk. Pain as face met tree in her distraction. "Mama!"

A chuckle from below, followed by loving admonishment. "No tears, Coraline. You're a Boehm. Let me get your Father and tell him what you can do..."

There was a smile in Coraline's eyes, a memory stirred by Shaman's eager, less adept flight. "I've only felt safe doing this above ground for the last few weeks actually, spent years trapped flying in a metal cube of a room only a few hundred feet wide," she called to the younger nova, spiraling through a loop-de-loop for the sheer 'because she could' factor before falling back into paralel with Allen, "And never dreamed of doing it above a city. But this country is safe. King Einherjar keeps them out and away, and I like to think I can be a little more myself."

"There it is," the young metamorph pointed out a restaurant ahead and below, "'The Sleeping Lion'. Simple fare, but lots of it for a good price."

Shaman nodded then blushed slightly.

"I ... I just went up to the mountains, deep into the valleys were no one else went, and I flew around ..."

'Don't say it!'

"... naked."

'Congratulations, you are no longer a perv ... now you're a freak.'

"It was ..." he began blathering, stumbling over his own word, " ... seemed right/felt good/what felt best (gag), ... Do you know what I mean?"

"Great ... now you are imagining her naked again. Keep this up and I'm going to have to go out and ruin a bunch of leaves. Hell, if what I've seen so far is just scratching the surface, I'm going to need a forest.'

'Do you ever listen to what you think?'

'Sorry ... hormones raging ... talk to me in three years.'

'Aaaahhhh ...'

'Do you ever plan to have a girlfriend? Go on a date?'

'NO! - (visualize Pip walking away) (Pip walking away) '

'I give up!'

'You can't!'

'Why?'

'Because you're me, dummy.'

'I want to secede.'

Shaman landed and walked up to the attendant at the desk, "Can I use your bathroom?"

Usually, the answer would have been 'No', because of Shaman's dress and apparent wealth (dirt poor), bu the young man was so obviously a nova.

Only after the words escaped his mouth did it occur to Shaman that she might not speak English. Fortunately, he was proven wrong as he answered in heavily accented English, "Down along this wall til the double doors. Right before them turn left. There are the bathrooms."

"Whoo, you're a life saver." He all but bolted down the hall, "shouting over his shoulder, "Table for two."

Inside the bathroom, Shaman could see that his embarrassing episode had been masked by the jeans blue denim. He quickly wet some towels and 'cleaned' himself up. He examined his handiwork.

'Great. Now I look like I peed on myself.'

'Sigh'

'Wait, I got an idea!'

Shaman splashed some water on his shirt and pants, hopefully making like he had a bad encounter with a wash basin.

'Face the music. I doubt they will feed me in here.'

Putting on his best game face, Shaman exited and went looking for Coraline.

He found Coraline at a table for two with a window view of the palace peek over the skyline like the triumphal tribal citadel it was, still masking the lion's share of her preternatural good looks and reading a menu. Another sat at the place across from her. She looked up and smiled, clearly amused by what he managed to do to himself, "I ordered us glasses of water to start us off if you haven't drank your fill in the bathroom, but someone will be back for our order soon enough. Ask for anything you want then. My treat."

The young metamorph looked down at her menu, commenting further, "They have a nice 'nova-sized' section on the third page. Look there first if you want."

Shaman was more than happy to sit down and 'cover up'. The place looked nice ... much nicer than the few places his parents had taken him to. Things were turning around for Shaman. He could just tell. Smiling over to Cora, he opened the menu and ...

'... what the hey? The letters ... I know the letters, but their all screwed up!'

'It's French, you idiot.'

'Waha?'

'Former Belgian colony ... Belgies speak French ... they taught French to the various peoples that now make up Congo ... and does any of the SHIT you've ever read make sense to you now?'

'Girl - hormones - horny beyond capacity for higher brain functions.'

'Seriously?'

'Damn it! Gut check time!'

'sigh'

'Come on. Just point at something on the menu, ask the waitress if its good, then order. Simple! I got a plan.'

'And if they bring you ... oh, boiled lambs eyes in mustard sauce?'

'Is that even a dish?'

'I don't know. I don't read French, remember?'

'New plan: Let the Girl decide.'

'...'

"Ah, Coraline. I don't know French. Can you order for the both of us? Don't worry, I've eaten grubs and chewed moss off tree bark. My stomach's pretty tough."

Coraline rolled her eyes inside at her mistake. Not everyone had been raised in a half-dozen ends of the earth and made to learn almost a half-dozen languages in the process. And even her French had been a little rusty before she started getting some practise in it over this past week.

"Sorry," she offered with a grin, unmindful of the subtle attention of the baseline patrons on Allen and her, "A lot on my mind. I'm supposed to focus on the flow of the now, really, but you're my first rescue when I wasn't told where to find someone. It's kind of exciting. Hmmm, breakfast is good whenever. One of those suit you, Shaman? Should help fill you up. Might be waiting awhile doing whatever business you have even if going directly to the palace public entrance probably isn't the best way to find whoever you're looking for. You're going to need some new clothes at least."

"Thank you for the rescue too. I appreciate it. Really. Whatever you think is good is fine by me."

'Wow ... libido, are you out there?'

"New close could be nice, but I have this wad of bills, Canadian currency, but its something. I can pay for things - some things." Shaman grinned and looked down at the table, still somewhat shy and awkward.

'...'

'Its the whole damsel thing, isn't it?'

'No, this is different. I feel something for her ... but not in that way. We ... shouldn't let each other down.'

'That's my line. I'm so proud of you.'

'Shove it.'

"You said the 'Now'? What's your problem?"

He stared into her eyes, so totally not in her league, but there was something in him that maybe she in all her culture and power had missed. Perhaps something from the "oldest" book in the world - the Earth itself."

"You don't need to tell me what's going on. It has to do with you and the others, which is not great leap of logic, but I suspect the others are pretty much like you - in power and experience. I don't know if this will help, but sometimes I see things in Nature that open up the doors to understand more about who I am. It is the simple things all around you that we too often miss."

'Oh, you are so NOT going to lecture her!'

"The grizzly eats berries and grubs most of the spring and summer. It does this to get by. Why does it do this? Because in the fall, the Salmon run begins. The bears feast, because he needs to feat. He needs the salmon to put on his winter fat, so he can survive the long, cold winters of hibernation and the occasional hunt. He eats in the Fall so he can live to see the spring."

"The bear lives in the here and now. No one can really dispute that. He's not logical enough to 'plan' for the future like we can ... but he does. We all do in our own way. This 'Here and Now' is, in fact, an illusion. Nothing exist solely in the moment. Things lead up to that moment and things will flow from the moment, so the moment is never really alone."

'Whoa ... I didn't know you had it in you.'

"That's one of the lessons I learned from the bears, anyway. I hope it helps."

"Uncle Shen should like you, Shaman, and if he does, you'll get the full story. You're going to love it, I know it," Coraline promised with a mysterious grin, fighting a chuckle at how small the 'gulf' of their experince probably way. After all, he'd had the sky up till now.

One meal and a quick shopping trip later...

"Okay, tell the people in there that I invited you and ask for Esperance by the time you're ready to explain what you're after," Coraline called down at the younger Nova, gesturing at the Palace Public Entrance and the line outside it, "Should things go wrong, try and be outside the Sleeping lion tonight at nine. I'll be there."

And with that, the young metamorph flitted off and over the palace grounds, unveiling her pretenatural apperance again as she crossed into what she saw as safe ground, hoping to get a few minutes of meditation in before Uncle Shen arrived to take her for training.

'You can stop looking up her skirt now.'

'...'

'I said ..'

'She doesn't have a skirt on, dummy.'

'Whoops, guard coming.'

"Hello, could you direct me to ..." Shaman began but the guard interrupted.

"Je ne parle ... englese?"

'Great, it's your accent. Step two.'

"Umm ... Esperance ... parle ... oui?"

'Now what did I just say to him. Maybe I can ask the canopy were this Esperance is.'

'There's a plan. I'm sure all these heavily armed guards won't mind me playing Tarzan through the trees. Nope. They'll be laughing ... then they'll fire.'

The guard though seemed to understand him. Some rapid fire French followed along with a motioning him along with a wave of his gun. He began to talk to both Shaman and someone Shaman couldn't see. Since it was in French, Shaman couldn't understand, but nothing sounded (too much) like "Kill Him" so far.

"Nova?" the guard asked him as the walked into the actual compound ... not he palace, that was a ways off, but on the Royal Grounds.

"Oui," Shaman responded in his best French accent.

'Great. Their going to kill me for murdering their language.'

"I ... Shaman?" the nova asked/said pointing a thumb to his chest.

"Claude," the guard responded, sadly not too impressed.

'I guess you aren't famous around these parts ... or anywhere.'

Soon enough Shaman could see someone who was clearly a nova walking toward him. He looked ... like a really pissed off badger and badgers were naturally pissed off to begin with. Strangely, Shaman had to strangle the urge to chuckle at the imagery.

Once they met, the nova seemed to assess him.

'Well, he's not stumbling back in awe, so ...'

'What did you expect?'

'Whose plan was this?'

'...'

'That's it!!! Auto-erotic asphyxiation all around!'

He couldn't help himself. Shaman smiled. That got the Royal Guard Nova even angrier, if that was possible. He spouted off some rapid-fire French that even the normal guard seemed to have trouble following. His next words he said were said much slower and authoritative. Shaman kept eye contact. Nothing happened.

"I don't .."

"You find something funny, Shaman!" the nova all but screamed. A lesser man would have fired back with a "Sir! No sir!". A younger man would have messed his pants, or cried. There was a silence between them.

'Don't do it!'

"Actually, I was smiling because you look like a badger from my homeland. A very, very angry badger."

Shaman was pretty sure this other novas gaze was beginning to make his face melt. He surprised Shaman by snorting, "This badger? It is a very dangerous animal ... in your homeland."

Shaman's head nodded enthusiastically, "A very dangerous animal. It is quite small," (the man's glared returned), "but so fierce it can take on creatures many times it's size and win. If you live in a house and a badger moves in, you move out. They are that ferocious and territorial."

Now the snort became a laugh.

"Good. I like that. Come with me."

The two novas continued up to one of the palaces wings.

"So, what does this badger eat?" he went on.

"Anything it can catch," was his immediately responded.

That brought forth a rich, deep laugh. "I like you. You have 'cran' - guts. I hope you and Esperance get along. I'd hate to kill you."

"Aahh ... thanks. I'll aim to please."

Shaman and the nova he'd mentally christened 'Badger' entered the building, one of the wings that extended from the main palace. It was plain that this was the administrative heart of the palace, where menus were decided, linens were ordered, and the hiring and firing was done. The perceptive young nova also realised that more than simple domestic affairs were arranged here when Badger entered a large open office, sunlight streaming through a window illuminating several desks, each with someone sitting beside it. All three people, two men and a woman, were on phones that had sleek black encryption boxes attached to them.

"No, the king would be happy to meet you, Senator. Shall we say a month from now, on... Thursday the 12th? 2pm."

"Applying for the Royal Guard requires at least two terms in the Army and exemplary service even for novas, sir. King Einherjar is fond of saying that a node doesn't make a warrior. Yes, I understand, but the Congolese Army does have a nova fast-track for willing and able recruits..."

"I'm very sorry, but tell Miss DeVine the King won't be able to attend. He does, however, send his best wishes on her engagement..."

Badger led his young escortee across the room to an inner office, knocking on the door and waiting for an invitation before entering. The woman behind the desk was tall and graceful, dressed in colourful local garb and with her hair in tight braids, tipped in beads that clacked softly as she rose with polite curiousity in her bright, intelligent eyes. Though a baseline, at least at first glance, she was lovely in a poised, dignified way, and the graceful way she came around the desk to greet her guests would have shamed a duchess. The guard and her spoke in quickfire French for a moment, then she smiled and nodded. Badger stepped back against the door, and Shaman found himself the sole recipient of Esperanza's calm gaze.

"Renois tells me you wish to speak with me." the woman said with an elegant hand gesture that invited the young man to sit as she perched on the edge of the desk. She spoke perfect English, a hint of accent making her alto voice intriguing. "What is it I can do for you, young sir?"

'Do they make ugly women in this country, or do they hide the plain ones under stumps.'

'At least you've activated Drool Control.'

"I ... well, I imagine you hear this a lot,"

'... and regularly deny or delay any meetings with SENATORS,

"but I would like to see the King."

'Yeah ... that did the trick. Is that eyebrow tick a code to have me drug from this place?'

"I have this photo," Shaman said. He pulled it out and handed it to her. "The one on the left was my biological Mother. The two on the right are ... were my parents. They were murdered a week ago. I don't know who did it. The man in the middle ... well, you know who it is."

Esperance took the damaged photo and turned it over. "Best night of my life" read the hand written message on the back. It felt authentic, but she wanted to have it checked. She turned the picture back over and studied the picture for any other clues. It was her King, but almost twenty years past. She looked at it carefully. The background was a "R&R" facility that DeVries once used. From records, she knew the place. She studied her King again then looked up to the boy. She did a quick double take. She knew her King like few other people. She had stood close to him in conversation and council. The boy ...

Esperance activated her comm-array.

"Philippe, I have a project for you. Right away. Most urgent. This may involve an attack against the sovereign."

The boy's head remained facing her, but his eyes were roaming around. That might be an act. An assassin would be trained to do just this - to act totally innocent.

But, what if the boy was telling the truth, was it a truth her Majesty needed to hear? Esperance shook her head. Good news or bad, he would want to know.

"The woman?" she asked, "Your biological Mother, she is dead, non?"

"I never knew her," admitted Shaman.

A technician showed up and Esperance gave him the photo. The boy looked distressed.

"You'll get it back if you are who you say you are," she promised. Now, how did you happen upon Coraline?"

"She found me actually. I was in the Pacific riding with a pod of Orcas coming this way. She was kind enough to give me a lift."

"Don't you fly?" She was well informed after all.

"Yes. Yes I do."

"Why didn't you fly here?"

"Aaahha ... because it is like upteen thousand miles? Come on now, I'm good but not that good."

She smiled. Not so powerful that she couldn't over come him with available defenses. A few more questions followed. His home (Alberta, Canada), his parents (former Elites, names unknown, deceased), his near-death encounter near Calgary, ect.

As she finished, the tech came back with the photo. The analysis had already been uploaded to her display.

'Damn it,' was all she could say. The photo was, for all intent and purpose, real. A genetic test of the boy was a logical next step, but she didn't need one. She believed. Now the question was what would her King believe.

"Come with me," she commanded. Shaman leaped to obey. They move down some back hallways. There was plenty of time for the King to be made aware. This wasn't the 20th Century after all. Einharjar was alerted that a boy that appeared to be his son was coming. The King of Kings could spare a few moments to deal with this. Esperance stepped in first and bowed slightly and from the hip, a sign of her status in the Country. The boy either failed to bow or was simply too stubborn.

Spending 1 WP to stand up unbowed in his Father's (?) presence.

For the King, it was like looking into a mirror going back over thirty years ago. That hair, those eyes, that ... sense of self. Had he ever been that young? Sure, the resemblance wasn't perfect. The hair was just a shade darker. His features were more angular, but the boy was still a boy after all. He would fill out further in time. More to the point, the boy refused to boy, though that was surely the easier (and safer) choice. He eyed the boy. It wasn't defiance, or anger. He simple didn't want to bow, no matter who he faced.

The boy handed the King a damaged photograph. In it were Infinite Codex, himself, Cocksure, and Red Haze. According to Esperance's initial assessment, they were all dead now. He recalled how they had more or less vanished from the Elite scene shortly after his own break with Anna. He had too much on his plate back then to worry about them. And now he had ... this ... problem.

Ein thought for a long, long moment. A son. First a daughter, and now a son. He briefly wondered how many children he might have sired after all. He leaned back in his chair and regarded Shaman, the office around him spacious and well-decorated with knick-knacks from around the world. It was his den, complete with pool table and minibar in one corner.

"What's your name?" he asked in a deep voice.

"Allen, sir." Shaman replied, managing to meet that daunting glare without flinching. Of course, Einherjar wasn't actually being daunting, but... "Allen Reeves."

Einherjar looked at the photograph again. "Infinite Codex." he murmured, his eyes on the past for a moment, then he looked up at Esperance. "That will be all for now, Esperance. Please ensure this is kept secret for the time being." The seneschal bowed and left the room.

"Yes, I knew your mother." Einherjar stood and moved from behind the desk to stand before Shaman, who found himself looking up a good seven inches or so at the large-framed warrior, those glowing blue eyes met his gaze, the ruggedly handsome features calm. "You understand that I had no idea that you existed?"

"Of course, sir." Shaman replied. Einherjar smiled then and offered him a hand.

"Then I guess I should make it formal. Hello, Allen." he said gently. "I'm your father, and I'm glad to meet you at last."

Shaman stepped forward and shook the King/His Father's (his real father).

'Damn, he's even bigger in person.'

"I must admit that I've know about you," he started out, "not you exactly, but I knew that my parents weren't really my parents. I never thought about seeing you, or even seeking you out until they were murdered. Then, I just had to know. I had to see you at least once," Shaman said with a calm earnestness, "before I could move on with my life."

'Not quite what we were expecting, was it?'

'Damn, is that an arm? Man-o-man, am I going to grow that big?'

'Eyes up, asshole.'

'Okay Team, back on task.'

'So, he hasn't denied us ... but what does he expect from us?'

'Think about it. He rules a country. He probably doesn't want anything to do with us.'

"When I saw that photo, I had to know. A part of me wondered was there a bit of you in me. You are the Wolf - the Lone Wolf."

'Man, were are we going with this?'

"I've never loved, so I don't know if I'll ever understand you. I mean, ... Father, are you at peace here? I ask because it matters to me. For the first time, it matters."

'Now you're blathering.'

Shaman was clearly struggling with his ideas. " I'm more of a Bear. I endure. I am a creature of seasons. In my eyes, you are the wolf, but alone. It must be She that keeps you the way you are. When a Alpha loses its mate, it leaves the pack. It doesn't seek out others of its kind anymore. Some may seek out the Wolf out, for protection, or to learn, but the wolf is still alone. It knows that eventually it will stumble, fall, and die ... and it doesn't care."

' ...'

"I guess the only thing I want from you is to know if you're okay."

'Like he's going to tell us.'

'Like we are about to become airborne, and not in a good way.'

"If you don't answer, I'll move on with my life. I'll shed this last tie to Allen Reeves and be only Shaman. If you are happy, I can do the same. If you aren't, then do you think I can help? I have time enough to learn who I am later."

'Man, you are so totally gay.'

'If you hug him, he's going to make us into a Clone. You know, a clone of the right side, and an a clone of the left.'

'And if he says "Yes"? What then? What can we offer him?'

'I'm his Son. I'll think of something.'

"Why not learn who you are here?" Einherjar suggested, his eyes on his son's face. "You might realise you're not as alone as you think." Allen stared at him, and the giant king shrugged shoulders that could sunder a mountain and grinned. "Look, I've got some people I want you to meet. You can meet them, and then decide, but I'm telling you, here and now, that you are not unwelcome here."

"I'm not going to push the issue." Einherjar said, stepping back and perching on the edge of his desk. "But I am your father, and despite the fact I haven't known I was a father to you I'm not absolved of the responsibility of helping give you life. If you need help, or want it, it's yours. If you want to be part of my family, small as it is, then you are more than welcome. I've had some experience being a father to one of the most wonderful and volatile children of the 21st century, so I'm pretty sure I'm up to the challenge." he added with a chuckle, then gave Allen a questioning look. "Let me call those people I mentioned?"

Shaman nodded, a little taken aback by Einherjar's forthrightness, and moved to a comfy chair as the king (Does that make me a prince?) lifted an OpPhone.

"Esperance? Could you find Maia and ask her to come to my study, please." A push of another button and a pause. "Morri. I'd like you to meet with me and a couple of people in my study in private. It's time to start getting things straightened out. No, everything's okay. It's very okay, actually. See you soon." He hung up the phone and moved to the minibar.

"The others should be here soon. You want a drink?"

"Here would be fine ... "

'If he says something like 'High and Mighty Potentate of the Ten Rivers' we are soooo outta here.'

'Calm down. It's just a question.'

'I wonder what it's like when he turns it on?'

'You mean he's not on now :bananahump: !'

'Not - going - there.'

"Call he Einherjar, Ein, or Dad, as it suits you," his Father said in a deep, melodious voice.

"Fine, "

'Multiple choice? Did anyone here expect multiple choice!'

"Dad will do fine. It has a good ring to it, and in my eyes you stand in good company with the man who raised me."

'People are coming. Well, its good to meet people, considering a week ago I lived in a community of three.'

"Ummm, there is a girl I just met. Her name is Cora ...line. Could she come along as well? I sort of owe her for plucking me out of the Pacific."

'Face it. This has nothing to do with you "owing her" and everything to do with seeing her again.'

'...'

'Coward.'

"And Dad, she's kind hot."

A moment and Shen was standing there next to the king, just a few feet away from him, and he gave the kid a wiry smile, then look at Einherjar a moment and raised an eyebrow slightly. "I thought that I should be present when you explain things to Maia at least.. you might need me to back up your words and to explain things to her.." He looked back at Shaman for a moment, then back at the nova king.

"He's got your powers over the weather, but the power over nature he draws more from his mother, he's very tough, which is undoubtedly why he has managed to survive in such difficult circumstances, besides being mostly hidden. If you decide to acknowledge him publicly, I suggest you enroll him in your personal guard, a years service there, under your training and he'll be extra-ordinary."

"You noticed that, hmm?" Einherjar said, amusement quirking one corner of his mouth upwards. Being called 'Dad' was strange, but he told himself he'd get used to it. He'd better, at any rate. Besides, the boy was obviously a chip of the old block... "You have excellent taste." Allen stared at him, his face practically screaming his inner thoughts. Oh, please! Don't tell me she's a royal concubine or something! I'd die of embarrassment. I mean, she's MY age. Sorta. Einherjar started laughing.

"Relax!" he told the young man. "It's not what you're thinking. She's a guest here. Albeit a very lovely one." he added with a teasing grin as he handed Allen a glass of rum, taking one for himself and lounging on another chair as his expression sobered. "You will certainly see her again, but right now I want this meeting to be a family thing only. The Morrigan... well, for want of a better description she's my daughter, as is Maia. Maia doesn't know it yet, though. So you'll be meeting your sisters, and Morri deals better with emotional shocks in small meetings." He looked his son in the eye. "She has a reputation around the world, so you've likely heard of her. She's every bit as dangerous as her reputation suggests, though not quite as irrational as some people say. Be very careful, and absolutely do not touch her unless she initiates contact. I don't want you to be scared of her, but I do want you to be careful. Otherwise I'm going to have to try and throw myself in between my daughter and my son, and getting in Morri's way hurts."

Then Shen popped in, and Einherjar shot the Traveller a partial glower, though he didn't seem ruffled or surprised by the man's sudden appearance. He sighed, then raised an eyebrow at Allen, a 'see what I have to deal with?' expression, before looking at Shen once more.

"Old friend, I really would like this to be a family affair. Firstly, I appreciate you raised Maia, and she trusts you, but if she's to be my daughter she has to learn to trust me too. Secondly, as I told Allen here, I'm not giving Morri any more social pressure than is absolutely necessary. She knows you, but the list of men she trusts is an excessively short one." he sighed and took a sip of his rum, then smiled at the Traveller. "Thirdly, Allen will have to choose for himself whether he wants to be a soldier. He has a place to stay and my training if he but asks it, regardless. He doesn't need to enlist for that. And fourth," Ein ticked off the last point on a pinky. "How publicly known my children become is also their choice. If they want to be, they can be known as my son and daughter. Or we can keep it between us and our closest friends. Either way, we need to sort that out here and now, before things get out of control." He gave Shen a friendly grin. "I really do appreciate the offer of help, believe me. By all means, hang out in the gardens and wait. If Maia has problems accepting this, then I'll bellow for you. But I'm asking you, as a friend, to give her a chance to deal with it without you being her safety net."

Shen smiled slightly, then nodded. "Technically, I'm her guardian, sort of.. which makes me partly family, but you are correct, and have the right to privacy as you explain things.. I'll be outside, within shouting distance, if you need me to back up your words, just call me." He paused and looked over Allen for a long moment, then laughed. "Enjoy meeting your sisters." With that he walked out of the room, leaving Einherjar alone with Shaman for long enough to wonder just why Shen found those words funny.

'blink'

'Who'da, whadda ... I hope someone knows this guy.'

(moments later)

'Sisters!!!!! Please, please, please, please dont' let Cora ... or Epiphany too! be a sister. Let's hope this Maia needs a bag over her head or something, because this is getting ridiculous.'

[scrubbing mind with steel wool]

'Okay, what part of novas all gathering together don't you get?'

For a long moment Allen stares after the vanished Traveller. He looks to Ein, then back to were he had walked out.

"Spooky-Ninja-Shoalin Monk-Guy come around often?"

'Old Friend you idiot!'

"I mean, appearing like that."

(momentary pause which Ein enjoys far too much)

"So ... what is my sister like? Morrigan is like a sister too, right? I already know the no-touching rule. When I touch people they get ... um ... excited. I have a perfect understanding of the."

'All the girls/women = Ugly ... Bags on Heads.'

'Drink the rum. It will stop me from talking.'

[cough, sputter, gasp]

'What do they say in the movies?'

"Smooth," Allen croaks out.

Maia landed on the small balcony outside the room she shared with Justin, her wings vanishing as her feet touched the ground. Thankfully the shirt she'd chosen today was a tan backless halter-top affair that clung to her figure, along with a pair of dark brown shorts, showing off her long legs and to her chagrin, her relatively pale complexion. "I worked ten years on that tan."

She was heading for the bathroom when there was a knock upon the door.

Esperance was there, looking somewhat excited. Maia smiled. "Something I can help you with?"

"The King requests you presence immediately in his study. he's got something to speak to you about."

"Nothing bad I hope."

esperance said nothing else. At this Maia decided things could wait, she didn't need a shower, it was more for her own comfort than anything else. Without any delay, she nodded, closed the door and followed. Esperance traveled swiftly, and Maia kept pace with no effort. heads turned as she passed, It was simply the nature of how things worked when one of the world's most beautiful novas walked by in a form-fitting outfit.

Maia's long platinum blonde, almost white hair was puled back into a long braided pony tail, though if one looked there was nothing holding it as such, simply Maia's will for it to be so. Esperance stopped at the door, and allowed Maia to pass, then closed it behind her. Einherjar was there, with a young male nova Maia didn't recognize. Almost immediately Maia began noting similarities. While the younger nova wasn't nearly as physically imposing and statuesque as Einherjar, suble hints abound. evidently the king had a son, one he'd not mentioned to them.

She bowed respectfully, a matter of good manners and courtesy, and smiled. "I was told you wished to see me for an important matter." She nodded. "How can I repay the kindness you've shown my family and I?"

For Allen, things were more interesting. Maia at nearly two meters in height, pale complexioned, and dressed casually in an outfit the while casual, fit her perfectly, was among the most beautiful women he'd laid eyes on. And though she didn't know it yet, they shared a father.

She smiled to him and nodded, not introduced yet, and still waiting for the King to reply. this would likely prove interesting to say the least.

Meanwhile, Traveler would find Coraline descending from above to land a few meters away from him, the young metamorph having spotted him on a lucky fluke and grinning at him in a way she hadn't since his cruel lesson. "Uncle Shen! Can I talk to you about something?" she inquired, chorus delighted by her find, skipping right past his permission and starting in anyway, "I rescued another of us today. Just by accident. And he wants to help us fix the world."

'Footsteps. Steel yourself. Hows baaaaa......'

(knock ... knock,knock)

'Is anyone at the controls? Anybody? Echooooo .... echo ...'

'Dude ... she's your sister.'

'Waha ... (man, I'm doing this a lot recently) ... nice ti ... think clean thought, think clean thoughts.'

'Okay, are we all together now? Let's make a good first impression. WE - CAN - DO - THIS!'

Allen leans in toward his Father, never taking his eyes off the ... vision before him.

'Don't blow it.'

"Dad," Shaman said quietly, "Were do you keep the ugly ones?"

(Palm ... Face ...Whap!)

Maia laughed. "Well that confirms that theory at least."

She smiled to Allen, and extended a hand, the formality of moments before shattered by Allen's remark. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Maia St. Croix."

Giving him a smile that could outshine the sun, or incite or calm riots, she addressed is question. "I don't think there are any, not among my family at any rate." Even the intellectual Alex was still ravishingly beautiful, moreso than any baseline could be.

Meanwhile, Traveler would find Coraline descending from above to land a few meters away from him, the young metamorph having spotted him on a lucky fluke and grinning at him in a way she hadn't since his cruel lesson. "Uncle Shen! Can I talk to you about something?" she inquired, chorus delighted by her find, skipping right past his permission and starting in anyway, "I rescued another of us today. Just by accident. And he wants to help us fix the world."

"Cora.. darling... " Suddenly he paused a moment. "Oh, for heaven's sake, that's why I didn't see the boy's arrival, you were involved." He looked at her and shook his head in an almost admiring manner. "Cora, your almost invisible to the future now, anything you become involved in becomes difficult to see, it's almost as bad as trying to look into Warren's future, maybe even worse... also, congratulations, the fellow you brought is one of Einherjar's prodigy.. as in his son."

OOC: On a side note.. you made me laugh hard with that response, Adrian, and sense really, everyone in this thread deserves it, for wonderful role-playing, + 1 Standard XP to everyone participating in this thread.

"Dad," Shaman said quietly, "Were do you keep the ugly ones?"

Maia laughed. "Well that confirms that theory at least."

She smiled to Allen, and extended a hand, the formality of moments before shattered by Allen's remark. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Maia St. Croix."

The ‘ugly’ member of Maia’s new family walked into the room. Einherjar took one look at her face and knew that she knew. His Morri wasn’t dumb; she had probably heard Shaman call him ‘Dad’ and knew what Maia was. “No!” Morri snapped, instantly bristling.

“Morri-” Ein started, feeling a bit of weariness as he realized that this wasn’t going to go as smoothly as he’d hoped. His wild ward had shoved herself right to the emotional brink and he had to stop her. She flickered in and out of sight, between the beats of time itself-

Morri wanted nothing more than to gut both of the interlopers. She reached out with her quantum, taking control of Time. The world moved in and out of movement as she readied herself, her mind roiling with rage. They had been fine before these children had to come popping out of everywhere! They were stealing Einherjar from her! They had other people, their mothers, their families, that idiot Shen! All she had was Ein! All she had!

-and Ein tried to move faster than her. It’d been a long time since he’d had to try and his targets, while close together, weren’t close enough. Which one? He thought, his prodigious mind working. Which does she see as the greater threat? Surely she’d go for-

Time slowed and dilated, and she readied herself to attack, her eyes darting to each person in the room. When they came to Ein, she saw the look on her alpha’s face. He didn’t want her to do this and that was enough to stop her. She walked between the beats of time to stand in front of him.

- Allen first, Einherjar thought, only to stumble to a sudden stop as he realized she was in front of Ein. Half of him winced, ready for the cut of the blade; the other half instantly assessed her expression as sad, not murderous. She’d pulled herself back from the brink of her rage and now stood on another. “No,” she whispered to him and instantly vanished. There was no gust of wind – just a displacement of air. The Morrigan was just completely gone.

Tahir peeked into the room, blue eyes shifting from curious to annoyed when he saw Morri wasn't there. With an irritated huff, he turned and padded back to her room, grumbling under his breath.

'What the hell ...'

'I'm going to be saying that for some time.'

'By the way, in case I missed it ... I ALMOST DIED.'

'Yeah, that.'

'Did you see the way she moved?'

'Not really.'

'She was HAWT!'

(bangs head) 'Rewind - Almost Died.'

'What do I do now? What do I say?'

"Dad, I need to give her a gift. I should have seen this before it happened. She is the oldest of us, your children, and she deserves my respect. What can I do to show her that?"

"What?"

She looked at Allen, and her eyes narrowed. he could feel the full weight of her gaze, and she shook her head. "Well She's your older sister, but us, that's not something used to refer to someone in the singular sense."

She looked at Einherjar, the question obvious in her eyes. "I watched my father die before my eyes, same as my mother. I watched Team tomorrow kill him."

"So what exactly did you mean just then?"

"Cora.. darling... " Suddenly he paused a moment. "Oh, for heaven's sake, that's why I didn't see the boy's arrival, you were involved." He looked at her and shook his head in an almost admiring manner. "Cora, your almost invisible to the future now, anything you become involved in becomes difficult to see, it's almost as bad as trying to look into Warren's future, maybe even worse... also, congratulations, the fellow you brought is one of Einherjar's progeny.. as in his son."

"I am? He is?" questioned the young metamorph after a pause for thought of the useful seriousness of that ability. If she could keep off of Uncle's causal radar... Heh.

She waited till she got a nod of confirmation back from her Mentor, "So does this mean it'd be good for us to include him in our plans for the future, show him the Primus and our other recuees? I promised him I would if you approved."

"God-DAMMIT!" Ein shouted, frustration causing his voice to boom and rattle the windows as he resisted the urge to swear like a pirate. "Morri!" he called for her futilely, his expression saying louder than words that he knew she was beyond hearing him. She'd gone elsewhere, and he was pretty certain where that was: a place beyond his immediate reach. In a few short seconds, this situation had gone from being merely awkward to a royal pain in the royal arse. The Storm King clenched his teeth in an effort to control his temper, but over Kinshasa the blue skies started to turn ugly with dark, charcoal tinted clouds, thunder rumbling in their depths.

"Maia, your 'true' father raised you, but I'm your biological father." Einherjar told the tall, lovely girl after taking a deep breath, thunder still rumbling outside as the wind picked up. "I didn't know until right before you came here, when Shen saw fit to tell me. Apparently your mother... well, she knew I was fertile before I did. And decided to make use of that." He paced on the carpetted floor, the blue glow of his eyes crackling, obviously containing a foul mood rather than unleashing it on his two children. "Allen here's mother knew me for a while - we were DeVries together and spent one night after a mission celebrating. So yes, you're half-siblings. And Morri is not at all happy, despite me telling her that she's still my daughter when I told her about you, Maia." He sighed and flopped into a comfy chair, fingers massaging the bridge of his nose as he attempted to calm down. The wind rattling the shutters outside indicated that calm was a long way off.

"She's angry and afraid... of what I'm not sure. Probably of losing me somehow. Seems there's no easy way for her to adjust to having to share me, but for now I'm just glad she didn't hurt either of you." Einherjar rose again and paced some more, casting a glance at Maia. "Look, I'll tell you what I told Allen. I'm willing to be a father to you. I'd like to be. But it's your choice - you had a dad, and he was a good one by all accounts. I'll understand totally if you don't want to call me father. But you have a place here, as much a place as you want to have, whether as a daughter or a friend."

Maia looked at him, her red eyes narrowing. Her brain went into overdrive, and they could almost see everything flash through her eyes in the few moments she thought.

"Well I admit this is unexpected."

Did he allow them to stay because of her? Why did Shen lie all this time, letting her believe her father was killed by Utopia. She had a real Father still, and a flesh and blood younger brother.

"Finding out she's got two others who are actually related to you, who could call you "Father" after all this time, that can be hard on someone."

She looked at him and then to Allen. "Finding out I have another sibling is something I'm more accustomed to, It's been happening for twelve years."

She favors Allen with a smile. "Though this is the first time my new sibling is actually related to me by blood."

She looked back to Einherjar. "This will take some time for me to become accustomed to it, having the two of you, my blood family and Morrigan of course, and my siblings, the family I've grown up with."

"I'd like to do so."

She smiled. "When Morrigan returns, perhaps it's best that you speak with her first. I'm sure Allen and I would both like to talk to her as well. It might be a better idea though to send her my way first."

In the end she accepted this as truth, smiling. "I'm willing to bet some of my siblings won't believe this."

'Okay, let's take a vote: Who's for saying something?'

'...'

'How about moving?'

'Can I move? I mean, I'm breathing (for now), but what the ... do I do?'

(blink)

'Wait! I got an idea!'

(Groan)

Shaman steps forward to Maia and bows slightly, hands at his side. Standing back up and looking her in the eyes (honest), "Hello, I'm Shaman ... ah ... also known as Allen. Nice to meet you."

'Wow. See how much finding out someone is a blood relation makes facing her so easy? I can do this.'

'Wouldn't it be better if she was wearing clothes?'

'Dude, she is wearing clothes.'

'...'

'Really?'

Maia nodded to him. "Nice to meet you Allen, I'm Maia."

"No need to bow, little brother. We're family after all." She reached out and gave his shoulder a tender squeeze.

She looked up to Einherjar. "Things will work out. I may not know Morrigan well, but i'd like to. I'm willing to be patient though."

Then she noticed it, a wave of something roiling off from Allen, towards her, and she began to feel an odd tingle all over her body.

"I see you have some interesting little quirks Allen." Her impressive will and defense against such things kept the more base parts of her brain from going full out, and she withdrew her hand, Still her thoughts drifted to Justin.

She blushed slightly. "That was probably something I should have asked about first though."

Her eyes brimming with tears she couldn't even place a meaning on, Pip stepped closer to Warren, her other hand caressing the side of his face. 'I'm working on figuring out a different way. And it would tear me up to lose you before I had a chance to find it. If it is history, then it will be history tomorrow or next year as well. Please, wait, just a little longer. I think I need you. Terrifying as the thought is, I've gone so long not needing anyone, being willing to lose anyone to protect them. But I that isn't true anymore. I . . . I just want to live in a world where everyone is safe and it doesn't take the people I love risking themselves to save innocents. Maybe it's just a dream and can never be reality, but right now, right now I need that dream I . . .' Epiphany's voice trails off and she goes a bit pale.

Shuddering, she steps closer to Warren, her face pressed into his chest. Her eyes close she fights a battle in her mind, brief but furious. A long moment passes before her voice comes through the link again, its timber weaker and less assured. 'I'm fighting as hard as I can. I will hold it together long enough . . . No, I will beat him, I have to. But I can't do it with my focus split. It's all I can do not to give into the guilt and despair and he plays on that, trying to twist it into something that will give him leverage. I didn't know how strong he was, how much of his mind I was going to have in mine. . . " She trailed off, realizing she might have said too much. She might have given him reason for the same worry she had just berated him for causing her.

Warren wrapped his arms around Pip and wordlessly, held her.

He'd from 'concerned' passed 'worried' to 'wished he had some way to panic productively'. She'd absorbed another telepath who was an expert in reprogramming people. All of Warren's 'I can get anywhere and deal with anything' powers were totally useless here, all he could do was hold his love and hope she was strong enough to deal with the Demon inside her head.

A few days ago he'd thought having Pip read mother hunters had been a good idea. He'd even suggested porting her around in Time to do it more often. Really, really stupid. Was there anything he could do?

One. He could be there for her. Not make it worse, that was what she was asking for, it wasn't just the least he could do, it was the only thing.

Warren sent, Of course. History will wait. Hours, days, years, even decades. I'll just be here for you. Is... is there anyone or anything I can bring here who could help?

Archived