Aberrant: StarGate Atlantis - Dr. Weir's Journal

Dawn OOC

Earth date: November 12, 2004

Atlantis date: unknown yet

Days since arrival: five months, two weeks and three days

Dr. Beckett brought me more data, just as disturbing as the first set of facts. He’s convinced now, and so am I, that my people here on Atlantis are undergoing a strange mutation. The alterations are still slight enough that few have noticed but that will change. I have some of the smartest people in the world here and they will be asking tough questions. They are questions which I don’t have the answer to.

As before, there seem to be three groups that people fall into: those that are getting sick, those that are unaffected and those that are getting better. Personally, it’s the last group that bothers me more. The first group have been falling ill more and more; I have already had to pull men off of field duty due to nagging illnesses that don’t respond to medicine. Carson tells me they’re reacting as if they were suffering from an immunosuppressant like AIDS. This was my worst and unspoken fear when coming here; Atlantis, killing us with some unknown pathogen. I’ve had nightmares about it and it seems to be coming true.

But some people aren’t affected. They show no adverse affects and no lingering illness. They have no problems, or at least they haven’t reported issues in themselves or their coworkers.

By far is the smallest group; they are getting healthier. Old injuries are healing further, a feat that leaves Dr. Beckett unable to explain. We have reports of cavity healing and eyesight improving. There have been only a few cases, but they are getting more noticeable. Today, it was reported to me that our most injured crewmember, our stowaway Dr. Jenings-Izumi, has started to heal. Her twisted knee is starting to straighten.

What scares me the most is that Dr. Beckett has finally found a link between all three groups: the ATA genome, or lack of it. Those without are getting sick. Those few who have it naturally are becoming healthier. Oddly, those who have received the gene therapy treatment have been unaffected: they don’t get sick or find their inherent weaknesses receding.

The question is what to do now. We don’t know the source of these mutations and that is the next step. I have given Dr. Beckett orders to take those who are the sickest off Atlantis. The Athosians, despite the ill relations between them and us, have agreed to take them and care for them. If they get better, then it is Atlantis making them ill. I have also ordered that Dr. Beckett does whatever is necessary to give everyone the ATA gene therapy. While I am loathe to force people to take any medical treatment, I cannot afford to lose any more personnel. Unfortunately, it is only successful in forty percent of the cases.

Unless Dr. Beckett can find a cure, we will lose sixty percent of my people, either to illness or, in the worst case, death.

Earth date: November 15, 2004

Atlantis date: Still unknown

Days since arrival: five months, two weeks and six days

We had three more crewmembers removed from active duty and transported to the Athosians. Fortunately, my gene therapy was successful; my own aches and pains have started to recede and I feel much better. It seems that I will be able to continue as administrator of Atlantis.

As the crisis continues to develop, I’ve decided to lay out my thoughts on some of those crewmembers with the ATA Gene. It is looking more and more like they will be the ones who will shoulder the burdens of running Atlantis.

Sadly, one set of those shoulders is not up to the task. Inoae Amara, our resident Lantan, is still in therapy. She’s made some minor progress, and Dr. Heightmeyer has started to call in Dr. Keller as a consultant. The young woman is quite smart; her ability to problem solve is impressive. Her skills are varied; Sgt. Moreau has reported that Inoae seems to have a basic knowledge of most fields of expertise. Most interesting is her ability to remember things about the station, such as when she found that Sgt. Moreau’s quarters were larger than we had thought. It is those insights that make her valuable, yet frustrating. Were she able to remember more about Atlantis, its secrets might be unlocked for us already.

Sgt. Yseult Moreau is Canadian military and a talented soldier. Major Sheppard tells me that her marksmanship, hand to hand and combat fighting are all above average. Her loyalty and courage are beyond reproach. Additionally, Moreau’s record indicates that she was a gymnast in her youth. Sometimes I think we’re wasting her by having her mind Inoae, but the young Lantan seems more manageable with Sgt. Moreau tending to her.

Private Rivets, Army, is often overlooked, but his genetics guaranteed him a spot on the mission. From his jacket, it seems that while he’s not as intelligent as many, he’s quick and compliant. Another good soldier, though his skills reflect his previous duties. He is less focused but more versatile than Sgt. Moreau, able to flourish in survival situation as well as perform basic piloting with the puddle jumpers. We’ve set him to watching Inoae for the second shift, when he doesn’t have other duties.

Staff Sgt. Curtis Shane was with the Air Force and saw action in Afghanistan. His jacket clearly indicates that he has severe trouble dealing with post-combat stress, though he is able to survive in combat. He is another bright mind, a materials engineer who has been a great aid while in Atlantis. His talents with computers and electronics are unparalleled – he has created the hookups for the laptops that allowed us to interface limitedly with the Lantan computers.

Meanwhile, Dr. Max Keller is not military at all. His fields are anthropology and psychology, and he is a renowned scholar back on Earth. I wonder what home makes of Atlantis's brain drain - there is no question that some of the best and brightest came with us to the Pegasus Galaxy. His knowledge in his fields are world-class; he's also quite aware of the subtle shifts of human emotion. I've had a session or two with him, dealing with my own feelings of isolation, and have found him knowledgeable and very insightful. He's working very hard on keeping us sane.

Another world-class scholar is Dr. Jason Bannon. This eminent botanist and doctor has been instrumental in locating new food. They are not always the best-tasting foods, but they are nutritious. Dr. Bannon is one of my 'trouble children'; I frequently receive complaints from other staff regarding his abrasive nature. Thankfully, his work makes him worth the hassle of soothing angry scientists.

Captain Simon Tanner came to us through the Rangers. He's a decorated soldier who served the SGC as both a team member of SG-14 and team leader of the SG-17. He's skilled with marksmenship and hand to hand combat. His survival skills are also strong, making him a good candidate for further off-world exploration. To date, he's been leading one of our teams and has been able to find more food sources.

Dr. Moira Fitzgerald is a world-class anthropologist. She has a strong backing in sociology and psychology, making her a great aid for Dr. Keller and Dr. Heightmeyer. Her studies of the alien cultures we have encountered have been very insightful, making dealing with the various cultures we've met go more smoothly. Her combat ability is minimal, something to remember if she has to operate in the field.

I'm being called away by Dr. McKay - I'll finish my list later.

Archived