World of Darkness: Attrition - Those Who Hear The Call

SalmonMax

After Lucien had answered, Imriel said, "My half-sister is missing, too. She was a student at UCLA when she went missing. I can get one of her possessions from her mother, but it will take a few days - she's in San Fran. Or does sympathetic magic work on blood ties? If so, my person would be sympathetic enough, given that we share a father. I also have pictures with me, just for a more mundane way of searching, too. I'd appreciate it if you'd all take a look before we convene.

"I'd also, since we don't suggest starting a Consilium, I'd like to propose that we work together on the other issues brought up. We have three mages who have missing friends or family, Banisher activity and a mentor to assign. Icarus, could you take responsibility for mentoring Lucien since you share a path? That seems to go more smoothly, from what I've been told.

"As for the other issues, I propose we form two groups to focus on the issues. Astra has the news of the Banishers, so I'd suggest she head that up, and I'd like to be looking into the matter of disappearances."

"I'll help with Banishers," Whisker said quickly, ever eager to stop overt threats to her people.

'Why do I feel this is a waste of my time?'

"I'll help with the Banishers, as well."

It wouldn't be a reach for him, and he preferred to deal with direct threats to the Awakened. Of course, they might be disappointed in his methods of countering the problem. Too many Magi looked down on mundane solutions to magical situations.

Randy looked around to see who else would step up for the two tasks. He also figured it would be good to keep an eye on his new companions. Too many magi carried to much shit behind their backs, down their sleeves, or up their asses.

Why did people always have to make things so damn complicated? Establish mission, find mission, resolve mission. Next.

"I'll help with the missing persons thing too.. It probably makes sense to have those people missing someone working on that, rIght? And I'm not quite sure what I could do against a Banisher anyway."

Aradia picked up her purse, opening it up and digging around a bit.

"Pictures are a good idea, even for those not working on that, in case you run across something weird. I think I have something of Livy's that she gave me as a gift at home... is that a strong enough connection?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Most of the things belonging to my brother and sister are gone, but I have a few pictures, not sure it that will help you or not, but I hope it would be better then nothing." He responded, wondering, not for the first time, if the trail hadn't gone to cold to find them, it was doubtful that they were alive after all this time, but stranger things had happened, and sense his awakening, he knew that the world was filled with endless impossibilities.

"Okay, two possible groups", Randy said. "Are we at the point of exchanging some digits? That might help."

He looked around.

"I don't think its to anyone's surprise that I would like to form a group with a few here. Nothing 'Cabal-like', but just some people interesting in swapping some Rotes, maybe some magical theory. That's why I am here."

Now he waited to be slapped down, or told that he was too impatient, but those were the breaks. After all, he had a Comp. Religion paper due in two days and he had to shift through the knowledge arcane and what passed as history for the rest of the world.

"Woah, hey, come on." Lucien interjected finally, seeing as they were at the 'exchange numbers and hope the others called' point. "Seriously, I don't wanna sit through more lectures with Giles over here. If you guys are gonna go bust some Banisher heads then I want in. That sounds like where the party is. A lil fire n' lightning, Wrath of God kinda stuff is what I'm all about, teach me to do that stuff."

He thumbed to Thomas 'Giles' Morrison, "So yeah, he can head home, thumb through the family memories to see what he can find, and I'll go with you guys to blow these Banisher guys up." Excitetly he gave Adria a tap on the belly, his smile wide with the enjoyment of living his life like an action movie wizard. "This is gonna rock, girl, thanks again for inviting me."

Triessa grinned. "That's fine too, Lucien...just don't jump in before you're ready. Banishers are just as dangerous as we are...sometimes more so. I don't have much in the way of war magic, but I can patch you guys up if you need it."

"Lectures is it?" He paused a moment, then sighed. "Try to be helpful..." He thought about it a moment. "Though I suppose it was too much of the professor in my explanation, my apologies, in the future, perhaps I should just get some manuscripts and let folks read them at their own pace." He then shifted to the other matter at hand. "As to the matter of the Banishers, I know the Rend the Weave, Unweaving the Flaw and Bolt of Heaven Rotes, furthermore, I am able to see magic or across the gauntlet at will, so I can help there too."

• 3 months later...

"Yeah, cause we're all magical bookworms who know they name of each and every magical ability out there. So that's helpful. And you..."

She turned to Lucien, poking him in the chest with a finger.

"You wanna run off and try to play Harry Potter, go ahead. I don't recommend it, you're not ready. But I swear to the watchtowers, if you get yourself injured doing something you're not ready to do and being a dumbass, you had better not dare tell August - OR Oneca - that I had a thing to do with it. They'll never let me live it down.. for some reason, they're fond of that pretty-boy, underwear-modeling face of yours."

Then she stood up, grabbing her purse and keys.

"Listen, I've got class, so I'm gonna get going. But lemme give you guys my number, and we'll go from there, okay?"

She pulled out her phone and started punching in phone numbers from those who offered, as well as giving hers in return. Then she gave Lucien a friendly squeeze on the shoulder. She's gotten to know him a bit in her time at the mansion, and he was a cool guy who cared about her cousin and her friend, and that was good enough in Aradia's book - even if he was kind of a man-slut.

"I'll catch you later, Luce - and you guys, too. We'll get together and try to figure this missing person shit out, and soon. Screw anyone who thinks they're going to mess around with the people we care about, right?"

With that, she practically bounded out of the room, leaving the others to their goodbyes.

Archived