Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 12: Echoes of Eternity

Justin OOC

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Not Angelus, at least, your technology seems simple, though I'd rather something that complimented my own physical traits and instincts, not some over sized puppet to compensate for inadequacies." She probably meant Gai. "I apologize for the inconvenience of my physiology."

Kai nodded. "Then you'll have yours."

"Captain Nagare, you will be taking Francis and Lance with you. Lily, Sakura, you'll ride with me. Skye, You and Hideko will ride in the dropship. Rebecca, the Seatalon is the smallest of our mecha, we'll load it in the assaultship, and you can pilot it for now, that way we have some way to bring Kazuo back through the gate as well."

"Go ahead and get resized, and meet us in the bay, We'll be ready to go."

As She left Kai and the other pilots readied their machines. The Seatalon was loaded, and everything was ready when Shiyukumei emerged into the bay heading for her Mecha.

Once suited up, she led them out of the ship, Georgi in the Dynames, and Gai on hand to see them off.

The Three mecha and one small dropship maneuvered before the gate, and The Meteor looked to the Angelus. "If you would please open the gate."

Shiyukumei keyed a sequence into the gate, and the massive structure began to glow. A million points of light converged in the center forming an explosion, then a single blueish-white window opened. "It is set for the last dimensional coordinates, the Gate is open. You may pass."

The Meteor and Assault ship went first, followed by Shiyukumei, with Ryoma bringing up the rear. They emerged not in a gate, but over the ocean, with the main landmass to the west of them. This was not the Shards, this had to be the land of the Seven Stars. A dozen vessels were below them, fishing vessels by the look of most of them. Two though looked more like warships, fast frigates if any cared to classify them.

"Two minor fast frigate class warships, civilians, no threat, proceeding with area scan for tar...erm, Kazuo." She aligned her sensors and began a sweep, simultaneously she brought her weapons online, while the ships below were of no real threat, they could be a pain if a ships weapon hit her.

Kai, acknowledged the ID and began his own scans. A few moments later, there was not trace of Kazuo according to the scanners, not within five hundred miles.

"I've got nothing, aside from the proof that he did emerge here from the gate."

For Shiyukumei, even with more advanced sensors, she too couldn't find anything more than Kai's comment. "Ryoma?"

"Nothing Kai, he came over here, but he's nowhere close by. I reccomend we head to the mainland, and to run detailed scans there."

"Roger that."

With that Kai led them towards the mainland. They found a clearing, at least a hundred miles from the nearest town, and set down. "Allright, everyone out, and run a complete check of what you can do, make sure your weapons work. I don't want any surprises like last time. And if any of you see any weird marks on yourself or each other inform Ryoma or I immediately."

"Pilots, check your mecha, run a full diagnostic."

To that end he began doing so himself, tapping his fingers on the controls.

"We've already got a surprise, Kai." Francis pronounced gravely. "I don't think anyone else checked the warships out, but I did." He tapped the sensor glasses before explaining the source of his concern. "They're sporting 21st century weapons, namely Satoshi-style laser cannons and railguns. Don't think we'll be seeing swords, shields and spears so much now."

Then, suddenly an intuitive sort of hammer hit him in the mind, and his eyes grew utterly shocked. "I can feel the time flux here. Ikaris has always been in line with the timestream. Now its a hundred years ahead of us now. Damn if I know how." He returned to normal focus, bewildered for a moment, then sighed. "Basically, too late for avoiding surprises."

Lance unbuckled his safety restraints. Rising to his feet, he pulled down his helmet's visor and thumbed a switch to turn it on. His face was suffused with a slight, green glow as numerous lines of data flashed rapidly through the visor's head-up display. He paused for a moment to check these readouts before reaching over to grab his rifle from a nearby rack. He spent a few more seconds double checking his weapon before giving a satisfied nod to Captain Nagare. "I'm good to go," he said. The commander paused, closing his eyes for a moment and taking a deep breath before adding, "No one's here. Or at least the immediate area seems clear."

If Lance was any bit perturbed by Francis' revelation, he wasn't showing it. "Laser cannons and railguns huh?" he muttered to himself. "This should be interesting."

He stood quietly in place, awaiting further orders.

"I apologize, they read as no threat to Angelus, I'll make sure to give detailed specs in my next findings." She mentally clicked through her readouts, and diagnostics, "weapons are ready and adjusted to compensate for the gravity of this planet, I suggest we keep a low profile as best we can, while those two frigates were no threat alone, an entire detachment of their defense forces could prove troublesome in a drawn out fight considering limited numbers."

With that, her wings unfurled and four feathers shot off and flew off in different directions floating and patrolling the area around them.

"A hundred years isn't long enough to go from Iron Age armaments to space-age," Lily said. "Not even with magic to help them. Someone else must have access to Ikaris, and is introducing foreign technology."

She trotted down to get a closer look at the screen. "Though it's a curious tactic...giving them advanced weapons, but leaving them with wind-powered wooden ships. I wonder if this might not be intentional after all. Maybe there was a crash, and only the weapons were salvageable, or something."

Francis grinned sardonically. "Let me let you all in on something. For as long I remember, I've been able to sense time. Basically, know the exact time and date... but now it matters. I've been to Ikaris before... but this time: I got the date in my head and it's jumped forward by one hundred years. I'm certain. We'll see what influence caused that, I'm sure."

Rebecca disembarks from the dropship. "Okay... enough talk. We got someone stranded out here and we gotta find him."

She keeps her sensors on the SeaTalon on passive search. "SeaTalon, notify me if you pick up on vital signs matching the last known medical disposition of Kazuo, understood?"

"Clearly, Rebecca."

"True. Let me unload my gear first then... at least the stuff pertinent to the mission and let SeaTalon take some time off..."

Rebecca starts moving SeaTalon back into the dropship as she grabs a extra backpack carrying extra medical supplies, wilderness gear, and then grabbing her sidearm.

"Kai... you were thinking just what I was." Rebecca muses as she hops out and heads back outside with a full kit on her back.

SeaTalon moans in dissapointment. "Aww... I am sure we can call you out if we need you. Stay primed, SeaTalon."

"Ikaris has also always been magic focused, there are plenty of magic weapons that may still be used in a world that is now intermixed with advanced technology, and for that matter, they may have weapons that would actually be considered magitech at this point, it would be wise to make no assumptions." She got outside of the ships as they landed, looking around a moment, taking in what she could with her senses, and preparing to offer whatever help she could in tracking down their missing companion.

Hideko has already transformed into her suit. She looks at Seatalon as it's being loaded and then approaches it's pilot. There's a clear gleam in the girls eyes.

"Hey. You're Osprey, the pilot of that machine, the Seatalon, right?"

Based on her tone, and the way she's gushing over SeaTalon, it's clear Hideko is a bit of a mecha otaku.

"How does it work? What does it run on? What kind of weapons does it use?"

Rebecca smiles. Even under the weight of her gear. "SeaTalon is one of a kind. She's a prototype... using the latest in muscle myomer and nanomachine technology. It runs on the MK-X1 Zero-Point Reactor. Capable of powering the needs of a metropolis like New York, London, or Tokyo indefinitely. She uses the tachyon radiation generated by the harmonic singularity at it's core to fire off tachyon pulses from her main rifle, or power her other weaponry such as her rail-gun, repulsor missiles, or even her last ditch, the Tachyon Cannon. It's not the Macross Quarter's main gun but it lets herself be known in a pinch."

She sets her pack down and notices a powered armor nearby.

"Hideko was it? I'm Rebecca... Rebecca Shirasu Rathbone." She says with a smile as she starts putting the gear that was straining her back onto the hardsuit-like frame.

"Unless you need this armor, you mind if I borrow this suit? I got our support gear out of the SeaTalon and I want to make sure if there's any medical emergencies or any rescues of the team I can be up to the task."

Hideko actually manages to get most of that. This makes her practically, okay, actually squeal with delight.

"Holy shit. So this things cutting edge. Must be murder to maintain it..."

She pauses

"Oh. Name's Ozu Hideko. Nice to meet you, Rebecca."

She shakes her head.

"Nah. I can probably lift more than it anyways. And move faster than it too. Go on ahead."

"I see... what grants you that power? I've seen a avatar of a goddess, some sort of sorceress, some guy who can teleport and shoot things, hell Kai's a living Dimension-Drive... What makes you tick?"

Rebecca hooks up the interface cords to her flight suit and connects the life support cables. She's forgotten how much harder it is to prep a smaller powered frame.

"Sort of odd though... I'm the pilot. I think I have more fun... well sans getting an eye poked out on a training mission and nearly losing my commission over a misunderstanding... that's water under the bridge."

Spoilers!
It's a bold faced lie, and Osprey's not a good liar. Rebecca's still quite smarting over this and swallowed her pride on a lot of things.

Shiyu watched on with her preparations, the fact that everyone was so small in this time was getting to her slightly. Brow furrowed she patched into a private line with Kai, "I will continue to search for the target, the range on their weapons with their limited platforms should not bother me much, I will keep an eye on your team to ensure you will not be taken hostage by these primitives."

Angelus' wings flew open and the feathers she deployed earlier returned, landing with precision, her wings stayed ready for flight, pausing as if being courteous to the suggestion of the team she brought here.

Skye followed everyone in a state of shock. Too much was happening; there was too much information to process here. All she could focus on was Kazuo; he was here somewhere. He was learning her secret and he'd laugh at her. She didn't care about that. She just wanted to see him again and know he was alright. She wanted... she didn't even know what she wanted anymore, especially when it came to Kazuo.

And what about Lawrence? Was he even alive anymore? It was too much to process and she was silent as she remained close to Lily.

Lily put an arm around Skye's waist and reached out to Kai as well. "Come on, I'll get us down."

A moment later they were disembarked and standing on the ground outside of Kai's looming combat robot. After so long walking on metal bulkheads and polished stone floors, the dirt and grass felt strange. Strange but good.

"Okay, we've got a missing person to find. Skye, you know him best. What do you think he'd do on getting to this world? Where would he go?"

With everyone who would be getting out out, Kai raised his hands, and the sigil began to glow, and for an instant they could hear the sounds of a massive factory and hangar, then nothing, as the mecha were gone, sent to Kai's private dimension. He looked to the others and nodded. "I can call them back should we need them."

"Not a problem." Rebecca says, walking out wearing her new-found powered armor. "Luckily one of these was in the cargobay... So... where do we begin?"

Seeing Rebecca in a Gray Mjolnir armor was... quite shocking to those normally seeing her just in her flight suit. Appearances aside, Rebecca wouldn't know square one on how to search for this individual. In fact she was never briefed on the situation at all... everything's been a whirlwind since she's gotten back and it's only getting worse.

"Quite honestly... I don't know where."

"Well first, we'll be going to the nearest town."

"Very well, lead on." Rebecca says, checking her sidearm. As a pilot she was used to it. It was drummed into her head a pilot should always have a hold out for ditches in hostile territory. This was a different beast altogether. Although the HUD was a nice touch, and she never felt safer... she almost feels guilty leaving SeaTalon stored though. The girl seemed genuinely upset. Rebecca sighs a little bit before getting ready to move along with the group.

"There is a large gathering of lifeforms 201 miles west of here, you should start there, I'll be in touch."

Angelus began floating upwards, surprisingly enough, no wind was produced by it's thrust, the advanced drive was beyond physics even, proof of her genius. At least the tip of the ice burg, once she was settled in the upper stratosphere she sent out her bits, as relays, scattering around Angelus to their maximum range. She began her scans for technology on the planet and turned on her mp50000 player.

Kai looked to Francis and Lily. "If you would, transport us there. We're conspicuous enough, we'll draw attention of whoever's in charge, and we can get information that way."

-------------

For Shiyu, The first pings generally returned an Industrial revolution age level of tech, with some greater magical tech here and there, and as the scan probed further west, the tech level increased. Clearly the west was the source of the high tech.

Lily looked taken aback. "Shift everyone there all at once?"

Her eyes roved over the assembled team, and her resolve visibly firmed.

"Okay...I'll try it. Everyone get in a little closer."

(Exp spending updated... :))

The Dalaraan Heir gleamed with blue light as she concentrated, and the light spread out over the group. It felt like a gentle breeze, tousling hair and tugging at clothes...or with its slight to-and-fro movement, perhaps it was a little like being immersed in water that could be breathed. There was an electric feeling in the air, a tension that smelled like ozone. The barrier of dimensions was pulling thin....

Then with a loud SNAP, the bubble of light contracted to a point, leaving the field they arrived in completely empty.

There was a sensation of falling while being pressed between panes of something like glass...invisible, but perfectly smooth and infinitely hard. It didn't last long. Just as the brain had time to realize what it felt like, it was over. Sunlight flooded in, air all around and stones under the feet. They were back in the world.

Lily grimaced and put a hand to her head.

"I think I need a bit more practice before I try that again."

Rebecca walks over and puts her hand on Lily's shoulder. "Think you can pull through?" She says.

She's not a complete medical expert but that was a real grind on her brain.

"At the very least I can help you out with some pain relievers."

(OOC: Just took Medicine (Emergency Response) 3... seems useful.)

Lily shakes her head with a smile. "I'm okay. It was just more work than I expected. I'm used to shifting so fast I barely know I'm doing it. Pulling a load like that...it's like suddenly trying to lift weights when you've been training for nothing but speed for a long time. Different 'muscles.' But I'm okay."

She clears her throat and adds, "I, uh...is everyone else all right?"

Kai shook his head, as though he were clearing a fog from his mind, and nodded. "I'm fine." Ryoma looked to her and nodded. "Not too shabby Princess."

They were on the outskirts of town, about twenty yards from the road in. "Everyone make sure you're ok, and then we'll head in."

Once everyone was accounted for, Kai led them onto the path, and to the massive gate that was there. The city was surrounded with a wooden palisades, and two guards awaited them outside.

"Halt, what business do you have here in Atasia?"

Ryoma was looking up, noting where barrels from several weapons had been trained on them from slits in the wooden fortress, and said nothing.

Kai spoke. "We come seeking information on the whereabouts of a unique individual..."

They all heard the clicking of safeties, and the guards faces seemed to harden. "We don't deal with bounty hunters."

"We aren't after a bounty, the man in question is an ally, and he went missing, that's all."

There was a rumble from within the gate, and then the door opened, revealing a young man, one who looked very much like Kai. "A scion of house Amaha is always welcome here, please accept our apologies, we have been beset by bandits many times, and must be careful."

Kai thanked Akina silently for making sure all his garments had that sigil upon it. It had opened many doors before, the first time they were here.

Sakura watched and waited, there was a lot going on here, this world was a world of magic and mystery by nature, it would take time to be sure of what was going on here, so to speak, and in her opinion, in that case, the best way to work was the method of waiting and watching, being prepared to act if she must, but generally simply waiting to know more.

Rebecca studies the tactics of the guards and the postures of Akina and his men at the gate proper. Simply put, Kai may have opened the doors, but what happens if they slam shut again... with everyone on the other side of the walls?

"Well, that's another thing I never knew of Kai until today." Rebecca whispers with her vocalizer switched off so no one hears until she mentally switches it back on with the suit's bio-feedback interface. "I would assume then that we are allowed in as well? Whatever seal Kai bears we do not carry and while we are his companions we know not of this place. At the very least I am very new here."

Rebecca takes as least a threatening posture as possible in powered armor. If she could change the paint job pink she would. Just to disarm them with laughter.

Archived