Aberrant: Dead Rising - Man of Steel, Woman of Steel (Mature) (Fin)

Karren Gaunt

Sarah lifted up a beer can, a budwieser by it's label, and stared at it as if it was doing something to personally wrong her. She could hear the chaotic bustle of the Refuge being stripped of valuables outside in the middle of the day, knew she could be helping with that work, but... It didn't seem nearly as important as the performance, or rather lack of performance, of the fluid formerly contained in the can she was examining.

"'You have failed me for the last time'," she quoted gravely, soberly, "'Perhaps your replacement will not be so incompetant.'"

The container was set down next to a half dozen equally empty others before the blonde megamorph even as an eighth was removed from a twelve pack box. She sighed and opened the new container, noting the flatness of the warm beer even as she began consuming it. Eighth time the charm, right? Of course, the fifth, sixth, and seventh times were supposed to be the charm, too. She had traded a whole box of shotgun shells for these drinks from that merchant, 'the best he had' she said, and... "God damn it," she intoned after a gulp of beer, only half the can left now, and still nothing.

Dan was in a largely foul mood. The Relocation was something he understood, and condoned on a certain level, but it seemed almost cruel after all the work that had gone into making the place more secure, and a more permanent home for the occupants. Though he seldom needed sleep, he was heading home to the small apartment he shared with Lorraine and Alicia. Both of them were out, having already relocated, and in truth he'd actually found himself feeling lonely without them around. They'd become real fixtures in his life since settling in the Refuge, and served to keep him firmly grounded there.

Of course the sight waiting for him when he got there did halfway make him smile. Sarah had been his companion ever since they'd met. They were somewhat kindred spirits, and he tended to feel abit better when she was near. "You know that stuff doesn't work on us Sarah." He moved in passed her towards the fridge, and the food.

"I told you not to bother with that stuff. It ain't worth the trade goods, not for us."

"What's wrong this time?"

"I know," Sarah all but growled, not even bothering to finish the current can before she slammed it down, "I know, I know... I just used to be such a lightweight before Z-day. Two of these would have had me pleasantly befuddled, four on the way to unconsiousness and a hang over. Sometimes I forget how different everything is now when I want to forget sometimes, that's all."

She planted her head in her hands, staring at the beer, "And I really want to forget some things right now. Really really. I am not in the mood to be helpful Sarah right now... Ya know, I was really hoping our visit to Christmas City Enclave would help. And it did in a lot of ways, but in some ways it makes it so much worse."

"I know."

He set to work cooking lunch for the two of them. "I could handle most of a twelvepack back before, and that was for a buzz."

Soon the kitchen smelled of well cooked food, and while not gourmet like that of others, it was infinitely better than MRE's.

"I donlt like leaving but I understand why we need to. I hate wasting all the effort we've put into this though."

He looks over to her. "Have you decided where you'll end up when it's all said and done?"

"When what's said and done? The move? Wherever you end up probably. Mr. Morgan said they could get by without me on hand and we work well together, so if you want to... We could do a lot of good," she volunteered, "After that? I'm a little too worried about the veins of black running through my 'aura' that Doctor Myf says she's sees, the black that supposedly turned Jon into the super zed we fought who dragged down his enclave with him."

"THAT's why the beer today," she finished, looking away, pushing the half-filled can with one hand, "I wanted to be able to stop thinking about it for once."

He nodded. "I'd like that myself. Having you around is..." he seemed to search for the word. "Comforting."

"There's not much we can do regarding the black, we don't know what causes it, and how to fight it. That's some of what Myfwany is trying to figure out, and why I've devoted time to making sure her lab is fully operational. We just have to maintain a strong sense of ourselves, and not push things unless we truly need to."

He smiles as he sets the chicken strips on the table. "I have to watch it myself. thankfully, we tend to do things together, so we can watch each other's back that way too I'd hope."

He started to eat and nodded. "Things will work out, I'm sure, but that said I'm glad you're planning to stick around."

Sarah mustered the smallest of fleeting smiles at Dan's words before heading into the meal, clearly enjoying the food despite her lingering preoccupation. "That'd be nice. I don't want to end my good works as some kind of wandering Goliath needing to be put down by the next brave, doomed David. I really don't," she exhaled between bites, "And where else would I go? I like the company just fine."

That mustered a little stronger smile from the blonde megamorph, buoyed up by a happiness she wasn't quite sure where it came from despite, well, everything.

"Not getting drunk off of flat beer, aparently," Sarah quibed back with an annoyed wave at the mostly empty box of budweiser before her brain caught up with some of the potential meanings to his words and coloring a little, "Um, Nothing really. Nothing planned anyway. I'm not on Fox's duty rooster, so I'm basically free. Why, do you want to do something to unwind? You've been working just as hard as I have and I must have emptied out half the storehouses in the Refuge for the big move. Or it feels like it anyway."

She looked a little more certain the further the conversation moved from the previous topic and into the new one, that much more more alive.

"I'm off duty too. I didn't have plans, I'd definitely prefer to have company with whatever happens."

"I could take you flying, We could go try to find somewhere that's actually peaceful and quiet. We certainly aren't gonna get that around here." Indeed, the sounds of deconstruction and relocation abound outside.

Sarah laughed agreement, tension broken again, "Okay. Sounds nice. I'll put together something for us to eat if we want to eat. I'm good at sandwiches when I can find the fixings these days."

Inwardly, part of her was wondering at the 180 this conversation had pulled in a few short sentences but the rest of her told herself to stop thinking and just go with it. Being human meant accepting the good and the bad, not one or the other.

Later that evening, Sarah found herself in one of the more interesting positions she'd been in since Z-day, roughly a hundred feet in the air, her feet on Dan's, his arms around her middle, and facing the ground as he literally saw where they were going over her shoulder. Her blond hair whipped behind her and while the sensation, both physical childhood fantasy of flying without a machine like a bird and emotional of a man she trusted and admired taking her on what very many people would interpet as a date to a romantic getaway, were very distracting, she did have one large concern.

"Are you sure you can see where we're going, Dan? Because I'm under the impression you developed this carry method with someone shorter than I am."

"Well you could always ride on top of me if you like."

If that statement wasn't a double entendre he didn't know what was. He'd said it and now they'd both have to deal with it. Inwardly he cursed at his lapse. he seemed to have more gaffes like that around Sarah, and she'd always laughed and not slapped him. That at least indicated she was tolerant of his faux pas.

Sarah turned her head to grin at him sidelong, a happy energy dancing in her eye, "Maybe we could walk back when we're done and I could carry you in my arms, Dan. Return the favor."

She left the rest of that mental image to him and added, "Just tell me when we're close and I'll tell you if we're about to land on something coming down."

He nodded. "Nahh, I do have my pride on that one. Marines always come home under their own power."

In the end he'd decided on going to the River, it was a full moon, and nobody else was anywhere near them.

He located a nice sandy beach with a clearing by the treeline and smiled. "We're setting down there." With practiced ease, he lowered them onto the beach, his feet touching down softly in the sand first, and only after he was stable, did he release her.

"Welcome to a quiet night away from all the other problems we face in our daily lives. Here it's just us, able to relax, and not worry about anything else."

The blonde megamorph imediately took the chance to plunk down on a patch of grass and remove her boots and socks, wriggling her toes in the simple delight of doing so for a moment before she turned her gaze skyward up at and past Dan to the stars just peeking out of the fading sunset glow. "I wasn't able to get much in the way of sandwich fixings, but I was able to scavenge some bread and canned tuna that was still good," she confessed with a mock-rueful smile, "I had no idea how much I'd miss mayo once I could no longer find it."

"But that's dangerously close to serious business. Get down here so I don't have to crane my neck up at you, much you probably apreciate the turnabout."

he nodded, setting down the pack, and unfurling the blanket he'd brought. He used her boots to hold down two corners, and took off his own to hold the other two down. He sat down beside her, his toes in the sand, stretching and what not much as hers had. "The fact that you're taller than me never bothered me Sarah. You're a good, kind woman, something I have always appreciated."

He chuckled. "Well, I did move most of the pantry over already for the others, since you and I can forage and scout well enough for our own food."

There was something in his eyes, not the look of lust, but just an easy comfort as he sat back next to her, close in proximity, but he wasn't touching her.

Sarah turned her head to consider him and his statement, thinking. Yeah, he probably did mean that. And her height was the thing that caught, for good and for ill, the attention of most survivors these days, her first impression even before the fact she was a metahuman came to light. Another unusual thing about him, much as she suspected the fact she had been 13 feet tall when she met him had changed the impact of her 'normal' height.

She chuckled at her own thoughts. God. Okay, change the topic.

"When we need to eat anymore that is. I swear, I used to spend most of my barter supplies on food, eating far more than even other people who are my size do. It's a good thing we can pull our weight and more, because otherwise *I* wouldn't let someone like me in an enclave. Just another part of the mystery of what we are, I guess."

He nodded. "I don't have to eat, but I do anyway. it makes me feel human. It isn't a total waste of resources, because I imagine the backlash against a super who didn't do the normal human things would be bad. It's the reason I still breathe as well."

He smiled. "I can think of other reasons to let you in, You can take care of yourself, and from what I've witnessed, you're a great protector for those who can't do so themselves."

Dan wasn't the like most men she'd known.

Sarah blushed but didn't look away, "Yeah, well. I have too many good examples around me to want to do anything less with the gifts I've been given. It helps hold me up when things start getting to be too much."

It was clear by the tone of her voice that she wasn't talking just about Christmas City or the Refuge but about a certain mechanically-talented former Marine she happened to be looking at. She took a deep breath and rolled onto her side facing him, a strand or two of blond hair dangling across her face, laying a hand on his chest.

"Dan, I... I like you, and I'm really glad I met you. In more than a comrade in arms kind of way, I mean. I don't know if you feel the same way, but I wanted you to know because you deserved to," she confessed softly, her heart on her tongue, right down to a 'oh god, I sound like a lovesick teenager' look of mortification that flashed across her face as she waited with held breath for an answer, hoping she hadn't just ruined everything by saying aloud what had been building these past few months in her head.

Dan actually smiled, and put a hand over hers. "I feel the same way about you Sarah." He leaned in without further preamble, and kissed her, still holding her hand. She'd been there for him since Violet cast him aside, never far from him, always supportive, always so willing to give of herself, and share his burdens. He'd been holding back these feelings for awhile.

When he finally drew back, he looked into her eyes. "I've wanted to do that for awhile now."

There was such a look of relief and joy and sheer genuine human happiness on the blonde megamorph's face that the smile she gave could have been an unscheduled sunrise if she had the power to glow in the dark. There were no words adequite so she decided save time by getting right back to the kissing, a floodgate of happy affection bursting in her mind. Sarah drank hungrily of him through her kiss, through her nostrils, her hand squeezing his firmly in affirmation of her happy body language at this hope confirmed, her doubt destroyed.

Night insects sang their songs into the night in uncaring ignorance of clumsy mammals and their apocalypse, but to Sarah it seemed for one moment that they sang for her.

The look Sarah gave him simmered with emotion, a portal stright into her thoughts that hid even less than her normal honest demeanor. "Yes," she exhaled, "I haven't trusted myself to feel this way about anyone since Z-day at first too burned out to feel this way and then afraid to hurt them without meaning to, Dan, but you... You, I trust you, and beyond that... When have you known me to be much of a liar, even to myself, especially about something this important?"

"Wasn't callin you a liar Sarah, I just wanted you to be as sure of this as i am." His southern accent bled through. He smiled and kissed her again, his hand moving to her stomach and his other releasing hers, moving to her shoulder. "No past, just the present, which consists simply of you and I."

Sarah smiled emphatic agreement and lunged into another kiss after the Marine stopped talking, pushing Dan to the ground, taking full advantage of the fact they didn't have to breath to hold the kiss as she started exploring his body with her hands. She was no deft touch, relatively inexperienced in these matters, but was eager and honest and happily in the moment for all that.

Dan gave in as well, his hands quickly moving, one to unbutton the blouse she wore, the second dropping behind to squeeze her rump. She wasn't proportioned like Violet, thankfully few women were. Sarah was beautiful but still in a human way. That suited him just fine. "We have all the time we want... no need to rush.."

"Sorry, sorry," Sarah apoligized breathlessly with a rueful grin to her features, helping to undo her clothing and start in on his, "It's just been *so long*, and this is... I'm just so glad you feel the same way. I was afraid you might not be able to after... Well, let's just say I'm happy to be proven wrong."

A bra was unhooked and discarded with chuckle, blue eyes happy and with just a soap bubble hint of lingering fear over the surging desire as she waited for his reaction to her half-naked body, no Violet, no Kristen, just a fit young woman on the very tall side of tall and human enough to need a touch, a compliment, a look to pop the bubble like the passing thing Dan could probably read it was by her body language.

Dan smiled as she revealed more of herself to him, and began working on removing his own clothing. She soon found his lips against her neck, moving down her shoulder, slowly teasing lower and lower as his hands moved in unison. One reached up first idly caressing her breasts, then his fingers closed around one, squeezing gently.

His other hand began massaging her inner thigh, still hidden by her jeans, but under his touch, it was almost as though there was nothing there. He withdrew from her shoulder, offering her a playful wink, and began kissing down the other side of her neck. The difference in experience was wide, but he was taking it slow, teasing her almost.

Ooooh. Oooooh. That was *nice*. Sarah exhaled softly in pleasure as Dan worked her over. No half-drunken tumble during a college party this, only vaguely remembered the next morning as her roomate held her hair out of the toilet. This was something else entirely, and the look she gave him between slow rolls from side to side as they adjusted to allow acess to more sensitive spots comunicated clearly just how much she was enjoying this. She attempted to return the many, many favors he was doing her, using her greater reach to get to those spots that had made her previous partners respond well before.

He continued on, She was trying to match him and it did feel good, but nonetheless, he figured he might need to step things up abit. He kissed downward, one hand squeezing a breast, while his lips teased the nipple of the other. His other hand she felt the beginnings of a tingling sensation at the back of her spine. he drew his finger up, and all along her spine the sensation traveled, teasing and triggering each pleasure center of nerves along the way.

It had to be one of the most intense feelings, her muscles contracting then relaxing all at once, even as he continued, kissing and squuezing, seemingly hellbent on driving her mad with desire.

Final regrets brushed aside, passions stoked to blinding by Dan's fingertips, the blonde megamorph grabbed dan's shoulders and levered him under her in a roll aided by her superhuman strength and months of live melee training against the undead. The look her moon-silouetted features gave the marine was pure lust unfiltered by any artifice or goal or strategy beyond the imediate obvious, blunt as her gasped words.

"Dan. Get. To. The. Point. Right now."

"At least let's get the pants off, neither of us brought spares."

He smiled up to her, as in some weird dance, they each removed the others' pants, and everything beneath. He chuckled, "Now, where were we?'

What followed was a sexual encounter that Sarah would never, could never forget. Dan largely let her have her way at first, letting her warm up as she would, and when she finally came to rest against him and spoke "I haven't had something that wasn't powered by electricity there in so long.." , he gave her a sly smile. "Is that so? My turn."

The massage was a warm up, but the main part was the way he teased her endlessly, his control over electricity enough to properly stimulate pleasure centers at will, Firing off one after another, and several at once, leaving her begging for more and more with each deft touch. Now with him atop her, he tried something he hadn't before, made love to her again. Every touch sent shivers through her, every even stroke a lightningbolt straight to her brain.

Whatever else she took away from this, she could never doubt the somewhat unassuming looking marine's performance in this arena.

Finally many rounds later, the two of them lay spent, her beside and on top of him, as the sun began to rise. He smiled and stroked her hair, pleasantly suprised the evening had taken that turn, and in truth very glad it had. They'd stood beside each other on the battlefields, and now bonded in a far more intimate way.

He smiled as long as she stayed with him, things didn't look so bad.

"Wow."

Sarah rolled off of Dan and onto her back next to him on the rumpled and somewhat destroyed blanket, their boots and clothing... somewhere else. She didn't know and couldn't quite bring herself to care at the moment, looking up at the pinking sky in a semi-daze, her tone soft and reverent.

"That was... was..."

Her train of thought failed to hold together against the pleasant solvent of afterglow and memory, mild befuddlement the default setting for her thoughts. This was the man she had fought zombies with and rebuilt enclaves alongside and brought home to Mr. Morgan as an emissary.

"Wow."

He smiled, rubbing hers shoulder. "Indeed."

He kissed her nose and nodded. "That was Definitely the way I'd prefer to spend my nights."

He could still feel her in the afterglow of their tryst, and he smiled. He'd not felt content like this for some time. This could be a one-time event, and he knew that. Still a part of him decidedly wished that wouldn't be the case. He idly stroked her side, and relaxed.

He added. "Because I spent it with you."

"I'd certainly not complain about being able to do that again," Sarah confessed as she rolled onto her side and faced him, "Maybe even contribute a little more next time. God, I didn't even know you could do half of that and that was before you started cheating. Wonderfully, wonderfully cheating."

She grinned down at Dan, hair a mess, naked as the day she was born, and emotionally replete. The black didn't seem like such a big problem right now as her thoughts began to clear, not with this man to watch her and her to watch this man. It'd all work out.

"I never cheat, I just apply creative means seldom occurring or possible to and by others." He smiled and traced a finger down her lower back, teasing her again, with the lightest of electrical stimuli.

"I still have quite a few tricks you didn't get to experience yet as well. Things every bit as marvelous."

"Don't denigrate your contributions. For someone who's confessedly out of practice, as the subject of your ministrations, I definitely enjoyed myself." He leaned up and kissed her lightly. "I'm sure you'll find your own little Inspired ideas with time, and practice."

"I'm more than willing to help on that one, and anything else you'd like my company for."

"You can depend on that. Wouldn't miss it for the world," Sarah promised with a happy nod and a roll back onto her back, gazing up at the sky as she let the moment be what it was, reaching over with one hand to trace the lines of his body.

"I'm signed up for noon to six patrol duty. You have any reason to hurry back any sooner than we need to to be on time for that?"

Archived