Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - New game in semi-gritty universe - Recruitment

Heritage

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I love my aliens in a genuinely unhealthy way; I think they feel fairly fresh while still touching on some beloved sci-fi tropes. I mostly wanted to avoid the bumpy forehead aliens of both Star Trek and the two major comic book universes.

Hellhound> Grimalkin is believed to have gone rogue and Stalwart has 'hung up the cowl', as it were, at the start of the story.

I will say that few things are as they seem in my games, so it's best never to assume anything. Most of what I put in general info represents public knowledge, so it's usually incomplete or at least partly inaccurate. The other major stuff I want to get up there is a brief 'Who's Who' of well-known heroes and villains, a blurb on the Alliance and specifically the Spindle, aka Orbital Station One and a list of commonly used slang of the LCU, which won't be too long but I like to have all that sort of stuff up so folks can pepper their dialogue with it.

RushingMountian> I saved your sheet for later perusal, and will let you know what i think of it after I've had a chance to look it over.

Sorry to be so sporadic, but I'm working on getting internet at home, so hopefully this will only be temporary.

I'm working on my character, but part of what is taking so long is that the nature of my character means I have to actually make up several character sheets, one for each summons. I plan on adding a fic for every summons I add in game, showing the effort I have to go through to get them, and might write in all of the starting ones in fics as well. With one exception, she will only be able to summon one at once, so choosing which fits the current situation will be important, with two rounds required to switch(one for banishing the current summons, one for summoning the new one).

Honestly, my initial idea didn't lean either way at all on gender, so I wound up rolling. Once I had rolled female, I decided to incorporate some of my favorite comic book tropes for super-heroines, such as very bright but not getting much respect for her intelligence, and being very attractive but believing that she is actually plain or even ugly--in her case a combination of physically developing much later than her classmates, with the accompanying hazing that goes with being different, and a bad case of 'out-of-my-league' syndrome since then, i.e. very few people even try to ask her out. I'll probably play her as heterosexual, though since that isn't important to my backstory, that isn't something I have decided on yet. Knowing this site, though, it will come up, even if it never goes further than flirting for her. I prefer to avoid sex scenes actually in games that I am in, though a 'fade to black' with implied sex is fine with me--as long as consent is established ahead of time, of course.

Heritage, the alien races make me lol. Especially the re-written pop culture stuff.

I prefer to avoid sex scenes actually in games that I am in, though a 'fade to black' with implied sex is fine with me--as long as consent is established ahead of time, of course.

I'll just come out and say that I'm gonna make Hellhound straight as an Arrow. I only recently popped my 'gender bending cherry' by playing a female character for the first time a few months ago. I don't think I'm ready to entertain the idea of playing an LGB character just yet.

That said, I have to wholly agree with Wyrd on this one. The implication of relations between characters I'm fine with. I find anything past a fade to black to be oh so uncomfortable (same reason I stay away from reading fan and slash fics, even if it's fear of the unknown). So I'd like to make a request as a personal favor to a new player here: Can we keep it to a fade to black all around? The last thing I want to read / write about is 'my character and your character' in the throes of passion. Just... Just please no.

That said, I have to wholly agree with Wyrd on this one. The implication of relations between characters I'm fine with. I find anything past a fade to black to be oh so uncomfortable (same reason I stay away from reading fan and slash fics, even if it's fear of the unknown). So I'd like to make a request as a personal favor to a new player here: Can we keep it to a fade to black all around? The last thing I want to read / write about is 'my character and your character' in the throes of passion. Just... Just please no.

Just to be clear - I like writing smut scenes. They're fun. But I always leave the decision to do a blow-by-blow (heheh) or a fade to black to my writing partner because I'm very aware that not everyone enjoys writing them. No one currently on the boards has forced the sex issue on their writing partners (though we have had some unfortunate issues in the past - notice those people aren't active around here) and I think we're all mature enough to handle each other's wishes.

So just to clarify - are you asking for FTB only in regards to your PCs? Or are you asking us to keep the game to a non-mature rating? If so, I'm going to ask that we cut back on extreme violence, too. Keep the game PG-13 in regards to sex and violence, as it were.

I agree with Jameson, but if this is supposed to have some grit between the digits it can't be G. If this can hover at the PG-13(TV-14) levels at minimum I'm cool. I'm a grown supergenius (despite conversation to the contrary) and can handle myself. Now I am also fully agreeable to FTBs. After all, well, if we get to the point of having nookie I don't want awkward Watchmen moments.

*happily bounces off the ceiling, hovering* Also, Ceiling Genius is watching you poast.

'll just come out and say that I'm gonna make Hellhound straight as an Arrow. I only recently popped my 'gender bending cherry' by playing a female character for the first time a few months ago. I don't think I'm ready to entertain the idea of playing an LGB character just yet.

The first time you play an alternate gender is a bit of an experience. Some of how well it goes depends on the group--if they tease you constantly because of it, you're going to come away with a bad experience. I've played both genders, with a variety of sexual orientations, but because of my preference for not rp'ing actual sex(except with a sexual partner--that is a totally different matter), it really has little influence on my character. That influence is there, but I don't have any discomfort with scenes that don't go beyond flirting and/or fade to black, regardless of the characters involved. It takes time and practice to reach that level of comfort, though, and some players decide they don't want to ever play alternate gender characters--which is perfectly fine as well--or, in a few cases, always play opposite gender characters.

Heritage, I have a few questions regarding my character. Your sporadic connection makes asking them a little difficult. I'll try to put together a coherent pm for you.

So just to clarify - are you asking for FTB only in regards to your PCs? Or are you asking us to keep the game to a non-mature rating? If so, I'm going to ask that we cut back on extreme violence, too. Keep the game PG-13 in regards to sex and violence, as it were.

Good question! I'm not looking to press anything on anyone else. With that in mind, I'm asking for similar treatment.

I'll establish right now, that my preference is the FTB. So with relation to Hellhound, it's going to stay at that. If a second and third party decide to go past that, that's none of my concern and it's not my place to tell you not to, I just respectfully ask for a warning or a spoiler block or something so I don't have to read it if I don't want to ;)

I'm not suggesting we downgrade the rating of the entire game either. The 'smut scene' thing is just something that grinds my gears a little. It toes the line between role play and cybering too closely, I feel, and I don't want to get involved. That's just one man's opinion. I'll leave it at that. Gratuitous violence on the other hand, I'm totally fine with XD (Just no women or children :P)

And for my own opinion, my gears are ground when an act of positive physical union is considered worse than a negative act of disunion. ;) I get that people don't feel that way; I just don't understand why our society won't show a woman's bare breasts when she's in bed with her boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/lover on prime time shows but will show a sniper shooting her in the head, and this is somehow okay with most people. Just find it confusing. :)

It's religious. Christians avoid the sins of the flesh, but the Bible never said we couldn't kill people.

...um...wait.

At the risk of starting a religious debate... Christians aren't the only religion that states that, though they are the predominant influence on the 'Western' world. So i'll leave it at that.

30867_watermelon.jpg

You were just asking for that. You know this, right?

I've found that small religious discussions between individuals can be quite entertaining and enjoyable for all parties. Put the same discussion on a message board and it gets... messy. Really messy. Gallagher in a watermelon patch messy.

gallagher2.jpg

Guys, are we seriously voting on this? So far, everyone has said that they can deal with letting others decide what to do IF this situation comes up.

Also, I blame Wyrd, for bringing this up in the first place. *points at Wyrd like the Angry Monkey*

Okay, first of all, I am strongly pro-watermellon, so I hope that won't be an issue between us, Jameson :P

I agree that basically PG-13 is the best way to go; the only issue I ever run into is swearing, which as a native Chicagoan I do all the frickin' time. Where do people fall on that issue? FTB in the game is an elegant solution that I think works well; if someone wants to go off and write fanfic and post it elsewhere, I'm actually fine with that.

Prince, I'd love to have you (not like that, you pervs!) and I think we have at least one open slot left in the space game; we might need to adjust a bit because cent/Kazou is possibly playing a classic sort of Superman/Paragon type, but I'm sure we can work it all out.

On the whole gender thing, I must admit to being an oddity, a straight male who's most comfortable RPing straight females; I'm sure there are some deeply rooted issues at play here, but I don't have the money for therapy right now and appear to be happy and healthy, so I will continue to crossplay for the time being. I *can* play guys, but they often come out as immature doofuses; not sure if that's more a critique of me or my biological gender ;)

Yes, the US is a nation of violent prudes, which has deeply scarred us for centuries; I plan to keep graphic violence and sex out of this game, but people may get shot, just not big explodey head shots. Some worse offscreen violence may be described, but I'm going to do my best to keep it short, clinical and non-exploitative, like on the better cop shows. As the child of a single feminist parent, I'm pretty aware of how exploitive the superhero genre can be, though I'm sure I've got my blind spots. Feel free to call me out if I cross the line.

On the subject of violence, i've been toying with the idea of making guns, explosives and some other types of damage automatically lethal, not because I think it's cool but because these weapons, especially in an urban environment, are pretty darn scary, and I want them to be so in my game. How do people feel about this? I don't want to needlessly gum up combat or get all preachy about gun control, but somewhat like Dawn it bothers me sometimes how cavalierly these sort of weapons are handled in our pop culture. Unless you're bulletproof like Superman, I think being shot at should be scary, but I leave it up to you, the players.

I play females too. It's fun. These are characters, not projections of our own self-images. If I can write a story with a female main character, why not play a game with a female PC?

Anyway.

I don't offend easily. If I find something I'm reading objectionable, I grimace and hit Back. Or skip past it. So I haven't got a horse in this race.

I do fully support making lethal weapons Lethal.

Agreed. A .50 Caliber weapon should really end you. No doubt. Well unless you can shrug it off.

I'm open to all walks of life that a person can RP. I'm just the type that prefers FTB I've grown out of the... more free spirited days of my past here.

Also getting shot should scare Superball... even if she herself doesn't get shot she can get popped or punctured (Devices, ain't they wonderful? ^_^)... So... if she's hovering about at 300 feet and someone hits the suit directly popping it (and effectively breaking it) well... road pizza unless a teammate can take care of this little disaster.

So yeah... I WANNA be afraid of the sniper on the roof. I'm a support character. I stay out of the way in combat. Unless needed.

I plan on being out of the line of fire whenever I have the chance, even if wearing body armor. I'm a lot more squishy than my summons.

However, automatically lethal as in anyone who gets hit by a bullet dies is a bit extreme. There are a lot of places you can be hit where the damage isn't even debilitating. It should be scary to anyone not resistant to bullets. It just depends on how far you want to take this.

I guess I should rephrase slightly; not every bullet hit is going to kill you, but they can only do Lethal damage. There may still be a chance to save them, but it will be hard; I'm going to carefully reread the rules a bit more so I can clarify this point later.

3E no long makes a demarcation between lethal and non-lethal damage, everything gets saved, applied, and tracked the same way. Lethal damage and/or lasting injuries are a matter of the dying condition (after incapacitated, before dead) and GM fiat for lasting penalties which grants a Hero Point (e.g. the character gets shot and acquires a limp for the rest of the chapter that imposes a continuous Hinderance that stacks with other Hindered conditions). This all is basically what the DCA book lays out.

Guns are fine as "lethal", and so long as we all are aware of the potential for getting knocked down to dying via a bad roll, or via the GM applying fiat and common sense after a number of lesser "lethal" wounds and blood loss. I'm not sure if people took Impervious toughness but Lethal attacks may want to be considered always penetrating as well such that you will always need to roll to save even if you took high ranks of Impervious.

That's my advice and opinion.

...and watermellons still suck ...

1) I was going to say FTB, until Dawn pointed out the hypocrisy of that, and I have to admit that made me rethink that. I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with it, and I'm not sure how much of that is me having had uncomfortable sex scenes foisted on me at a young age by other immature guys (a la "Are there any girls there? I want to doooooo them!"), fear of how my partner would react to it, and how much is my own blind prudishness. So, first, I will talk to the partner, then I will be game, but reserve the right to FTB if I feel uncomfortable.

2) As the player of the resident gun-toting toon, I accept that headshots should be precluded by the word "BOOM", but I also accept that head shots only work on those not keeping their heads down. Guns can be lethal, but they can take a while to do that.

3) I am against watermelons rotting, and in favour of them being digested. Where does that place me?

4) What my character may talk about or do with violence/death/sex/religion/taxes/watermelons/Barbara Poppas are the views of my character, and not necessarily mine. If my character steps on your character's toes, well, that's part of what this is about. If my character steps on your toes, let me know. I'm willing to work things out to prevent re-occurances

Okay so to sum up that last page or so... Let's keep it dinner table conversation style. I.E. anything you 'can't talk about while eating' should probably be left out of posts, yes? By that same token, let's agree to keep politics and religion out of respective OOC posts, yes?

Guns being lethal? Hell yea. One big problem with other super games is that everything is non-lethal by default even if it contains bullets. :/

3E makes less of a distinction on damage tracking, but I think that's okay. I'm sure with Jameson's expertise, we can think of a way to model it properly such that everyone's agreeable. But it at least sounds like we're communally open to the idea of guns being as lethal as is appropriate for being shot at. Granted you might be super tough, but that @#$%'s still gonna hurt! :P

'can't talk about while eating'

But... I believe you shouldn't talk at all while eating, especially not when your mouth is full. Dinner time is time for the proper appreciation of the food set before you. Does this mean I can't post at all?

:D

Archived