Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - New game in semi-gritty universe - Recruitment

Heritage

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good try, QMN. I could see him looking like that with the powers on.

Also edited my background post a little to be a little creative in stating some of her complications and motivation.

Also: Naomi Cartwright... They call me Superball. You called for a genius?

That's a good try, QMN. I could see him looking like that with the powers on.

Also edited my background post a little to be a little creative in stating some of her complications and motivation.

Also: Naomi Cartwright... They call me Superball. You called for a genius?

Haha, yea, my Hero Factory work is pretty notoriously terrible. I just can't seem to get my head around squeezing all my characters into JLU style bodies. Also, it's not in English :P

EDIT: And as you can see, I've changed my display name. Should be easier to tell what character I'm playing now.

Hellhound easily qualifies as our front line combatant. He's got one of the higher toughness scores in the group so far (IIRC @ +10). However, he's got a good array of skills (Acrobatics, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Stealth all at +10) He can mix and match social combat via intimidation/insight and scouting via stealth/perception.

You guys have the premier support roles covered easily enough. Hellhound is the 'hammer'. Just point him at the nails. ;)

EDIT: It should be pretty clear that Hellhound falls easily into the role of 'bad cop' if only if he's pretending.

For any power level, peeling off your worst damage condition every single round without having to do anything is quite potent (by which I of course mean stupid broken). *cough* wolverine *cough*

EDIT: Just looked up the 3E version of the power. Glad to see it's not QUITE as stupid broken as the 2E version :P

For any power level, peeling off your worst damage condition every single round without having to do anything is quite potent (by which I of course mean stupid broken). *cough* wolverine *cough*

EDIT: Just looked up the 3E version of the power. Glad to see it's not QUITE as stupid broken as the 2E version :P

2 things here:

1) you actually "peel off" the -1 conditions FIRST and then the worse stuff (like Staggered and incap.)

2) Given the cheap cost in 3e compared to 2e in order to be able to regen 1 condition per turn (10 pp vs something like 40 or 50) I find that regen is, in practice, more broken now than before. That's my experience with it anyways.

Hey gang! My internet is limited right now (using my laptop at the local library), but I'm gonna try and post as much as possible. Optimally I see the two six man teams in both games breaking into teams of three at first as I get more used to the system, and then as bigger threats present themselves, we'll go for bigger teams. I'd also like to do at least one crossover storyline as well.

My battery is running low, so I haven;'t had a chance to read over everything you guys have posted, but I did wnat to tell the space gamers there are two thiongs each character needs to have.

Benefit: Diplomatic Immunity

At least one rank of Expertise: Space Travel

The first represents your status as part of the Alliance ("Yippee, we can shoot people in the street!"), and the second represents basic training in pressure suits, starship safety and the like; Legal insisted for liability issues ;)

I hope to be on for longer tomorrow and respond to all your questions and PMs and such!

I think regen was more broken in 2E. It was 3pp for the ability to peel off a bruise at "no action" every round. From there you could mix and match what you wanted of the harsher damage conditions. Also, as per the healing effect, you always healed your worst damage condition first. 3E regen works in reverse. You heal your slightest damage conditions first.

If anything, I think they simply messed with the curve. In 2E, it was cheaper to get the minor effects faster (3pp vs 10pp in 3E). In 3E, the cost levels out faster essentially allowing you to achieve just about the same effect with 10-20pp invested as you would be able to achieve with 30-40pp invested in 2E.

Okay, I've had a chance to read over the submitted characters, and I like them so far. We need a specific Motivation for Hellhound, I think, as to why he fights crime. All chracters in the 'street game', except the Fed, are offically refered to as Baker County Special Deputies or Assistant Special Deputies (the two teenagers). The offical name of the game will be "LCU: The Home of Heroes", or HoH for short. The 'space' game will be called "LCU: Alliance OS1" or just OS1 for short.

RM, I really like Wyrd's backstory, so I'm approving her as a teleporter; do you have any other ideas?

Hoh team so far:

Blitz (Dawn)

Superball (Prof)

Hellhound (Quote)

Special Agent Samson (jameson)

Gakusha (Jeremy)

OS1 team so far:

Kat Scalia (Wyrd)

(RushingMountain)

(SalmonMax)

Other players who mentioned interest but have yet to submit characters:

Justin

Kazuo/Cent

Okay, I've had a chance to read over the submitted characters, and I like them so far. We need a specific Motivation for Hellhound, I think, as to why he fights crime.

Hmmm, I can do that. I'll think about it. Though it may help to know more specifics about the setting. Perhaps there's a specific type of crime he can like fighting and he lives for that?

I have a better, more general idea:

Russell's father is a powerful Lawyer. Russell was the child they were breeding to go into law and follow his father (he was the only boy). Russell has a law degree from college (Columbia, maybe?) But never bothered to take the Bar. His experiences with his sister's kidnapping and gaining his powers interrupted his life just a few short months before he was scheduled to take the test. Now that he's been arrested, and sentenced, his father isn't sure he wants Russell inheriting his practice. That's all well and good with Russell, though. He prefers a more 'active' form of justice anyhow. To this day, Russell still has not even attempted the Bar. Why bother? Especially when you've been given such a wonderful opportunity to be a Baker County Special Deputy. Russell would rather be a detective than a lawyer anyway.

To justify this addition to his background, I'd likely be putting some points into Knowledge (Civics/Law) with my first few points. I don't think I can really afford it at character creation (though I'll try juggling some points here and there, maybe I can trim the fat a little).

Hey, Cent/Kazuo here. Heritage, just wanted to let you know that I'm still interested and will hopefully be getting you a character submission sometime before the weekend is out.

Sorry for the delay, but I've been dealing with a heapin' helpin' of RL for most of this week and didn't have time for much else.

Hey Superball, to answer your question to Finn (who is me, and I am him), I believe that H is holding a spot for me on the Space team. However, if Jer's serious about jumping over to that game, that opens up a slot in the city game, so I may instead submit a lower-powered character to H for that game. (I've already submitted my character to him for the space game - a Superman-esque paragon character - but he wouldn't really be suited for the PL8 city game, so I'd want to submit something new).

I'll wait to hear from Heritage and see what's what, though.

Cent! You're here!! And Heritage...OMG!!! how the heck are you? Yanno...way back when with War Journal was my first ever pbp and first ever Aberrant game/character as well...but you left just before I was to enter, so Esteban over in Bluninja's Trans-D became my first official... :)

Kazuo you have a PM whenever you have time. :)

Do any of you for the Baker County Special Deputies have theme songs for your characters? I feel that theme songs help me/others imagine my/their characters a little better. Perhaps you guys have a song that puts you 'in character' for the character you'll be running?

One of the songs I'm considering for Hellhound is Hammerfall's "Fury of the Wild".

Talked to Heritage, Gakusha is in the space game now, and Kazuo, your guy can stay there too. :)

--

Gakusha

PL 10 - 150 PP

Abilities- 58 pp

STR 3, STA 8/6, AGL 6, DEX 1, FGT 8, INT 1, AWE 6/4, PRE 0

Skills- 19 pp

Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 6 (+9), Expertise: Space Travel 1 (+2), Insight 4 (+10/8), Perception 6 (+12/10), Technology 6 (+7), Vehicles 5 (+6), Close Combat: Weapon Augmentations 4 (+12)

Advantages- 10 pp

Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Cipher), Defensive Attack, Languages 1 (Japanese [native], English), Power Attack, Precise Attack 1 (Close Concealment) Takedown, Benefit (Diplomatic Immunity)

Powers- 53 pp

Sensory Implants: Enhanced Awareness 2; Senses 6 (Accurate and Extended Hearing, Analytical and Extended Vision, Danger Sense, Detect Weakness- Ranged)

Mental Augmentations: Enhanced Advantages 2 (Jack of All Trades, Improved Initiative)

Weapon Augmentations: Strength-based Multiattack Damage 5

Protective Implants: Protection 2; Enhanced Stamina 2; Immunity 10 (Life Support); Regeneration 10

Defenses- 10 PP

Dodge 10 (+4), Fortitude 10/6 (+2), Parry 10 (+2), Toughness 10/8, Will 10 (+2)

Complications:

Motivation (Acceptance): Gakusha is looking for a way to find out who he is, but in the meantime, establish for himself a place in the world.

Responsibility: As a new Alliance member, Shinji can certainly be expected to be on call a lot.

The Blank Curtain: Aside from being a pain in the ass at times, Gakusha's unknown past could reveal itself at times, in likely less than wanted way. (GM discretion)

Quirk (Really Sarcastic): Though not outright cynical or angst-ridden, Shinji has a habit of very sarcastic... especially when

things are up the creek.

History:

As far as Shinji Marasaki knows, all he has to go by is his name, the whisper when he awoke imprisoned somewhere that 'Gakusha is awake' and the fact that he's Japanese. His memories of the past are gone, wiped clean as a whistle as any telepath who comes looking would testify. And of course, he awoke in a cell somewhere, finding that he is a cyborg in effect now, aware of implanted weapons and other technology that boosts his senses, strengthens his mind and allows him to shrug off damage with ease.

Clearing his way out of the underground place where he had been kept, Gakusha wandered about the US as a rover until he found his way to Lake City. There, Freddy Matthews, a local friendly beat cop, took pity on the apparent 'down on his luck' and gave him both cash and directions to a local shelter. Gakusha was in the convenience store getting fast food, when armed robbers broke in, and Matthews, who had been in the other side of the building, was shot trying to stop them.

Gakusha angrily beat down the robbers, healed instantly from the two shots that had winged him, and got medical attention for Officer Matthews immediately. Feeling indebted to the cop, he kept an eye on Freddy even into the hospital, and that was when the Alliance representative showed up. Apparently, Shinji was unregistered, and there were naturally going to be legal issues even for the good Samaritan.

The offer after some back and forth was simple. Join the Alliance's force and not let your talents go to waste. Gakusha would get fame, do good works and a host of tangible and intangible benefits. Plus... you know, no legal troubles involved and finding out your past. Gakusha agreeed.

Incidentally, there are no records that officials have found so far on Shinji Marasaki and his DNA has no known matches so far. This early lack of progress has not dissuaded the Alliance from upholding their pledge so far.

Okay, a few things. First up, I've started a topic for game information, starting with a timeline, which you can find here:

The two teams stand thusly right now:

HoH team:

Blitz (Dawn)

Superball (Prof)

Hellhound (Quote)

Special Agent Samson (jameson)

OS1 team:

Kat Scalia (Wyrd)

Gakusha (Jeremy)

Unnamed PC (RushingMountain) I *think* he wants in the space game, but I could be wrong.

Unnamed PC (SalmonMax)

Justin told me he's got nothing right now, though I told him he could join later if he ever got a cool idea. That leaves Kazuo/Cent and the terrifying creation known only in hushed whispers as 'Aurelius'. Dude, I'm gonna be honest, this sheet scares the living crap out of me; I love the backstory, but the build is too weird for me to get my feeble, rules-impaired brain around (remember, I was once dubbed a 'rules hippy'). If we can come up with a more traditional build, I'd love to have him, or you can dream up a PL8 for the HoH/street game, it's up to you.

And technically we don't need a full six members on each team for us to start; four or five works for me just fine.

Finally, howdy Sky! How goes it?

Do you really expect us to make the same character?

Personality: Inventor who keeps inventing things that are either completely unmarketable or which someone else has already invented. One day she invents something that would have been completely revolutionary if it had worked as intended instead of nearly killing her. She's a bit of a geek, a bit shy, has the power to summon very powerful beings from another reality which her invention accidentally sent her to.

Once I've got everything stated out and episode 2 and 3 of her origin story written up, I'll post them, and you can get a clearer view.

@Heritage: Sorry for the delay. I didn't even plug-in to the Internet, yesterday.

Yes, yes I do still want to play in the space game. I have a character concept/backstory/stat layout on my laptop, I just have to cut and paste it to send it to you (or would you prefer character sheets in some sort of spreadsheet layout?). When you get it, please take a look at it and make sure I didn't do anything crazy with the crunchy bits. I've never played M&M at all before, and while I think I understood what I was doing, it's been an exhausting week.

@SM: I've already pinged Wyrd to make sure we didn't make the same character, so you might just be hitting a now raw nerve. :-) Don't make a poor African military sniper teleporter please!

Do any of you for the Baker County Special Deputies have theme songs for your characters? I feel that theme songs help me/others imagine my/their characters a little better. Perhaps you guys have a song that puts you 'in character' for the character you'll be running?

One of the songs I'm considering for Hellhound is Hammerfall's "Fury of the Wild".

I don't usually go out of my way for a theme song for my characters. Some have them, some don't. Gary doesn't have one that I can really think of...

Archived