Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 11.5.021 - Eyes of the Osprey.

Rebecca Baines

...0430 Hours

She had been resting, sleeping and taking care of personal matter all day yesterday. In the simulator, she was more than ready. While her instructors haven't arrived yet, Rebecca practiced field-stripping and cleaning her SCRT pattern BR and Pistol form about the top of the hour. As she completes her last reassembly, she hears the sound of the simulator door open. She stands at attention upon seeing her instructors.

"Lieutenant Rebecca Rathbone reporting as ordered." She says firmly, her weapons properly slung or holstered with her SCRT-4 uniform properly cleaned with only a little cleaning solution from her work. "Are the Model A-34 BR and Model S-14 Pistols adequate for the training?"

Standing there before her were two of the few CRT-13 troopers, Grace, a heavy munitions expert, and Kelly, one of the squad leaders. They had an assortment of weapons ready, and looked to the Lieutenant. Both of them wore only a white tank top, and green training shorts. Solid sculpted muscle greeted her, both women possessed flawless pale complexions, though Grace was a rehead, and Kelly a blonde. Kelly nodded. "We have those, we also have over one hundred other firearms, trying to fid the one that best fits your physical make up, and ability."

She pulled those out, they were on the larger size of the avaliable weapons, but not the biggest.

"I see. Although I trust this model The design specs and performance statistics fit what I should have if needed. I should get used to the standard issue weaponry first, before moving up."

She looks over what the troopers carry with them. "So... when do you wish to start? I'm sure you have duties elsewhere, and I shouldn't hold you back from them."

"We have no duty but to train you Lieutenant."

Kelly nodded. "You have no duty but to be trained."

Kelly hefted one of the larger pistols, and nodded. "Computer, humanoid target, standard, 25 meters away. Generate."

The black and white target came into being, and in an instant, Kelly drew the pistol, slamming six rounds through the entire center of the bullseye. The barrel was still smoking, and she looked to Rebecca. "Take your gun, and lets see where you stand."

"Computer generate the target."

The target appeared, and kelly Waited for Rebecca to shoot.

Rebecca takes her stance and unloads. The first three don't hit at all but the last three find their mark center of mass right where it should be in a tight cluster. The 50 meter target appears, and Rebecca goes for extra credit. When she levels on the 50 meter target for a second after she misses the first three she sees Francis where the target was, and she unloads the clip, landing two in the chest, then one in the head, using the recoil of the pistol to raise the barrel into position.

"Gotcha... So far, so good." She takes out the energy clip and places it on the table in front of her and clears the barrel. "Clear." She says, as one should on the firing range. "So far, so good."

Kelly nods. "What if you only got the first 3, then you fail."

"Still that was a fair performance for someone not a member of a combat CRT."

Not even looking at the target she stood facing Rebecca, another target appeared and in the time it took to blink, there were three short reports from the pistol, a neat triangle of holes in the center of the target, and Kelly was facing her, the gun already holstered.

"Think you can match that?"

Her tone suggested Sincerity, not that this was a competition. It all seemed to be a test of what Rebecca's limits were.

Rebecca moved some hair from her face, and puts it back in the ponytail with a twist-tie. "Okay... no pressure, right?" She says with a serious, but light-hearted tone.

She fires the first snap shot and was off to the left. When she tries firing the shot to make the lower limb of the triangle, she almost loses her grip on the pistol from the sudden violence of the first shot's recoil, but in a moment of a pilot's reflex she recovers, missing the second shot but using the momentum to get back into line, but missed to the right.

"Damn... A little too froggy there. I guess quick drawing isn't my strong suit."

Archived