Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 11.5 Blood and Flowers

Justin OOC

Sakura had been summoned to the Macross' primary training room, ostensibly to meet with Kai. Why the leader of the Satoshi Military wanted to see her was a mystery, especially with so much else going on.

When she arrived, she found not one, but two Captains. Captain Hoshino, perhaps the busiest officer in the CRT's stood there waiting for her.

"Ahh Sakura I hoped you'd take me up on my invitation."

Kai smiled. "Captain Hoshino and I have a request to make of you, and then I have another to make for myself."

She looked between the two folks present, her manner curious and yet also restrained. "I would be pleased to hear your requests, though I have been busy helping the folks on the planet below recover, using my strength and abilities to help rebuilding projects.. what is it that you desire of me?"

Ruri nodded to her. "A sample of your blood is my request. There are some things I believe it would clear up, and it has bearing on what Captain Morisato would like as well."

Kai smiled. "It does, yes."

"Hizashi thought you were close to achieving bankai, close enough that stress might actually allow you access. I was wondering if you'd given thought to training the right way for it?"

Sakura blinked at Ruri at the moment rather suprised. "You want a sample of my blood? Why? What on.. " Then she stopped herself from saying anything further as she thought about the request a moment, then made up her mind rather quickly. "Fine, but I want to know whatever it is that your looking for, just a warning, but my skin is tougher then it appeares." She offered the captain her arm, so that Ruri could take the blood however she might choose to.

Meanwhile, to distract herself from the needle, or whatever device Ruri was going to use, she turned her head to look at Kai. "I've thought about it, but I have no idea how to go about the matter."

"I am looking to see if there is yet another living member of the Amaha clan, one that has remained hidden for seven centuries." She nodded and produced a simple syringe, finding a vein simply and peircing the skin filling the attached vial quickly, then staunching the wound.

"I will let you both know the results of my findings." With that she let herself out.

Kai looked to her. "Now I understand a bit better I think."

"Your not.. " Her eyes widened in shock at the very idea, and suddenly she seemed very uncertain of herself, an emotion that she hadn't really displayed before, as Ruri departed. "Your serious.. " She then looked over at Kai a moment and she almost looked a touch scared. "That would make us distant cousins?" It wasn't that she was scared so to speak, but if it was true, then Kai was her last fully human relative, and that was making her somewhat nervous, causing her to tremble a bit as she looked at her hands. Not because the thought was unwelcome, but more because it reached down to her heart, which was still hurting from discovering her mother's death.

"Yes. we would be kin in blood, as well as in battle." He smiled at the thought.

"As it stands, i am the last of the family, With Masane's death at Takashi's hands, and his at mine."

He smiled. "Ruri never jokes. She is likely 80% certain as it stands, but the bloodtest will prove it."

"Would it be so bad, to be cousins, Sakura?" In his tone of voice she could see that he too had been scarred by the Rain, and the loss of Masane. That he killed Takashi with his own hands, virtually damning the clan to death had affected him as well. Yet still here was hope. There could yet be another.

Sakura was shaking, emotion wounds were on the verge of breaking open, the grief she had put aside for the sake of nessecity was threatening to surface, the lose of her earth family, and the inability to return to aradia and seek comfort from her family there was taking a toll. "I... I.. no.. it wouldn't.. " Tears were starting to drip down her cheeks as the grief for her lost family and friends was starting to surface and she struggled to push it back even as her voice became more strained. She had already wept once for her mother, when she first heard it, she shouldn't.. she couldn't... but then, others were dead too.. she had liked Masene.. and.. that did it, she couldn't hold it back anymore, she'd taken the warrior's path, putting grief aside.. and she hadn't really given herself time to really grieve...

She threw her arms around Kai's neck and began to bawl, not simply cry, but weep her heart out, not a restrained expression of grief, as before, but more sorrow for the lost, for not having them around anymore.. she believed they were in the light.. but oh how she missed them, all of them.. friends, family, everyone she had known.

Kai said nothing, allowing her to weep openly, no words were needed. he simply wrapped his arms around her, and quietly stroked her hair while she cried. He'd known for some time the pain she'd hidden away. She'd needed to be an unparalleled warrior, and she was. Beneath it all, she was still a seventeen year old human girl, bereft of family, and thrown into situations beyond all ken.

It took her a good number of minutes, somewhere between 5-10 minutes before she managed to cry herself out and slowly her tears stopped, though she was still shaking a bit, trying to get herself under control once more. She closed her eyes, trying to clear blurry vision and as her memories went back, she started to cry again, not quite as hard, but still grieving for several more moments, before she managed to get herself under control once more. "I'm sorry." She sniffled as she tryed to wipe her nose.. "I don't mean to break down on you, you don't need my burdens on top of yours.. " she paused. "cousin?" she tried it out, tentatively, still not sure if was true, but somehow hoping it was, it would mean she had family here.. and that was important to her.

He smiled. "No one should have to carry their burdens alone. I certainly don't."

He smiled, training was largely forgotten as they sat there. Roughly an hour later Ruri came back.

She looked to Sakura, and then to Kai and nodded. She then dropped to a knee and bowed her head. "Welcome Lady Sakura, of Clan Amaha, to Satoshi. Welcome to the legacy of your ancestors."

Kai looked to her and smiled. "Welcome home, cousin."

Her tears dried, and feeling a bit better, she blinked as Ruri came into the room and told her that what they suspected was true, and then she moved quickly, going to the Captain's side. "Oh.. Light have mercy.. don't do that." She reached down and pulled Ruri to her feet. "Don't kneel to me, I don't care if you discover I'm the rightful queen of the multi-verse, or the daughter of the Weaver himself, I don't need you to kneel or bow your head."

Once Ruri was on her feet, she looked over at Kai and smiled a somewhat teary eyed smile. "Hello, cousin.."

Kai smiled and looked at Ruri. "Is the bowing really necessary?"

"Akina would and will insist, at least the first time, Kai. You know that."

He shrugged. "At least you call me Kai now."

He looked to Sakura and smiled. "You'll get used to it in time Sakura."

He laid a hand on her shoulder and looked at Ruri. "I trust you've informed all the other captains already."

"I have."

"They're all in the bay aren't they?"

"Yes. All the Lieutenants, except for Rebecca, who is on leave at the moment, are there as well."

She looked down. "My Lieutenant and I had a discussion, and she is finding answers she needs. I apologize for not telling you."

He waved his hand. "I trust your judgement, and hers."

Kai looked to Sakura. "Would you like to get this out of the way now, since they're waiting for us?"

"Oh no.. not some public ceremony.. " She looked panicked at the thought, and she looked at Kai and Ruri with bit of pleading. "I don't have to go through a public ceremony, do I, really?" A the nod from them, she sighed slightly. "fine..." She clearly wasn't happy about the thought, but she'd go though with it if Kai seemed to want her too.

Kai nodded once. "Not really public, just something for Satoshi officers. It won't be before the entire force assembled, just those in command."

He smiled. "I'll be there with you as well. This is a time for Celebration Sakura, more than most."

Ruri looked to them. "Honestly Kai what do you expect. When i communicate this to Akina, The entirety of Satoshi will rejoice. Celebration doesn't begin to describe what will happen with this revelation coupled with our victory here."

Kai smiled as Lily lead them through the ship into the primary mecha hangar. Inside, The remaining officers awaited. Eiji, Ryoma, Klan, and Even the Gaogaigar kneeled and bowed, then rose. as Kai waved them all off. "Sakura is like me, all of you, she doesn't stand on the pomp and formality Akina insists. Please treat her as you would me."

It was funny to see the massive mech kneel, as it dwarked even the Macronized Klan, standing Fifty five feet over the deck.

(TBC)

• 4 weeks later...

"Oh, please, don't kneel or bow, I don't need that, whatever might be, please don't kneel all the time, in fact, don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary." She looked at Kai a moment, and there was outright fright in her eyes.. which was ironic considering the girl faced down demons, monsters and tyrants without a hint of fear, but she was frightened by the pomp and ceremony, but most of all, the responsibility. "Please, Kai.. cousin... what do I do now?"

"Be yourself." He laid a hand on her shoulder and gave a reassuring squeeze. Everyone rose and smiled. They knew how important it was for Satoshi to have another member of the Amaha, even though only a few were natives. Klan was the first to speak. "So Sakura, how does it feel to know you'll never be alone again?"

She calmed a bit at Kai's words, but she grasped his shoulder and held onto it, only just barely remembered he wasn't as strong as she was to keep from tightening her grasp to hard, and she had a wild almost frightened look about her as they folks came up to say their greetings, and Klan's words were gentle and normal enough that she relaxed slightly. "It's good to have family here again.. " She closed her eyes a moment, she missed her mother, and then she opened them again. Mom would have told her to get out there and enjoy herself, so she took a deep breath. "So, is there something like dancing or refreshments to go with this formality to make it more bearable?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Just us is fine, I think it will work better." She responded to his question, then moving though the ship, noting the slightly changed reactions to her presence now that everyone was aware of the human side of her heritage.. it was somewhat embarrassing still to her.

Archived