Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - 4.2d What Lurks

Justin OOC

Another hulking branch slammed down on Gintaro from the deadly tree above, aimed to try and repin the monster with an acute thud. Yuuki was sweating now despite the calm of her social mask, movements precise and direct as she directed the assault and praying inside her efforts would be enough to permit the Headmaster and Aoi-Sama their victory over this abomination.

[envoy] 11:36 pm: Yuuki drops a hefty branch on Gintaro to prevent him from getting unpinned.

envoy *rolls* 2d6: 3+6+13: 22

Soak:40+Kyra's buff, HP:125, EP:65

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Arctic cold was enough to freeze the water vapor in the air around the Shinigami, trapping him in a large block of black ice.

"Everyone Stand BACK!"

The headmaster's order was immediately obeyed. The Seal forming between him and Aoi flashed into being, and great golden chains reached up to wrap around the ice.

"By all that, was, all that is, and all that shall be, I, Shigeru Yammamoto Seal you away into Eternity, never to touch the real world again."

By all that was, all that is, and all that Shall be, I, Aoi Sokatsu, Seal you away into Eternity, never to touch the real world again."

The two of them each extended what hands they had as they spoke together, rotating them, almost as if they were locking a door. The chained block of ice began descending into the seal, and vanished, and t hey all saw the seal close up like a door, lock, and then vanish.

The Headmaster fell backwards, much as Aoi did, and was Caught by Shizuka. The shinigami's scythe remained in the tree, the blade perilously close to touching the great tree.

The dryad darted forward, form ablaze with light and caught the equally-blazing form of the Angel Lord. Energies sparked and blazed between them, but no harm was done. "I have you, Aoi-Sama," Yuuki called softly, helping her gently to the ground and unaware of the small but important change in honorific she employed with this no longer eniemy, "You got him."

Another part of her mind willed the tree to gently extrude and deposit the poisonous scythe on the ground with a soft clink, well away from anyone.

With that matter dealt with, the somewhat embarrassed (from her slip) dragon let the shielding fire's go, the burning shield vanishing in an instant, though she did pause a moment to consider the scythe. "Don't anyone touch that, it could kill you." She paused and looked at the ice elemental, considering the sudden cold that had filled the air. "If we seal that away somewhere else, wouldn't it make it harder for the creature you just sealed away to return.. sir, ma'am?"

"None of you will touch it." Miss Nekomone's voice was harder and carried far more authority than they'd ever heard.

"That weapon will go into the vault, once the headmaster recovers." The light crisping she'd recieved from the fire was healing before their eyes, though her clothes weren't. "You all got really really lucky."

Yuuki nodded acknowledgement of that even as she released her control over the green and growing things spared by the frost, defensive cherry blossom storm vanishing with a final whisper of wind. Three things occupied her thoughts. One, Aoi's condition, draining as sealing the monster Gintaro aparently was. Two, whether or not the awe-inspiring apple tree she had shoved so much of her energy into would remain as it was or shrink back into the seed it had come from. Three, and increasingly important as she came down from her emotional high, who *was* the ice-using student who had arrived with Nekomone?

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I know you," Yuuki asked Erilynn, having spent a lot of time getting to know as many people on campus as possible, "I am Hina Yuuki, and thank you for your help. What's your name?"

The young ice maiden nodded at her mentor, "I understand, the offer of transport still stands.." She held the remains of her shirt to her chest and turned to the young girl who spoke, "Erilynn Kisaragi, nice to meet you, though under odd circumstances."

She didn't know the name. The girl used ice magic and aparently was a student. So Yuuki decided to attempt a leap in logic. Her oaths demanded as much.

"A pleasure to meet you, Erilynn-San, circumstances barring. You wouldn't happen to be the one who brought such a sudden winter to the campus, would you? The Gardening Club and I have put a lot of effort into it," the young dryad asked, social mask holding just enough to keep an edge of anger from her voice and the glint of inquisitorial interest from her glowing green eyes.

Shizuka laid down the headmaster, and put a hand on Yuuki's shoulder. "It will be alright Yuuki, trust me. You'll see."

The death of the plants was something she knew greatly annoyed the young Dryad. She couldn't reveal what she knew, but obviously something would happen to rectify this.

She picked up the scythe, and a portal opened before her hand. "I hope you wake up soon headmaster, I don't know if It can be contained like this." With that she shoved the ultra deadly weapon within, and outside of reality as it were.

Rudeness greatly annoyed Yuuki. An assault on her person would greatly annoy Yuuki. The mass murder of thousands of plants and a blaise 'apoligy' over it as if it was no important matter? *That* was cause for rage, vendetta against the offender's kin and, imprisonment for ten generations worth of Sakura Trees before the execution of the offender. If things remained as they were, Erilynn would die by her hand. Eventually.

The teacher could feel the righteous wrath barely held in check by the young dryad's training, the tension of her muscles and brittleness of the social mask pushed one too many times this evening. "I will wait to see your miracle," she promised the teacher, "Where do we go now?"

"We bring them to the headmaster's apartment, So they can recuperate. It will be at least six hours before they can do anything again. If there is another Shinigami, we will have to kill it some how, because sealing is no longer a viable option, I don't have the Mana, or know the entire ritual, and Ruby can't do it alone."

With that the small yet surprisingly strong teacher too Aoi from Yuuki and hefted one each over her shoulders. "Come on it's after one. Once we get them situated, I'll bring you all back to your dorms, where you can sleep tonight. Or you can stay with me at myplace. It will be crowded, but safety and numbers in all."

the Vampires, rica and Krag all begged off wanting to return to their rooms now. exasperated, Shizuka nodded. "Go ahead then."

Once they left, she looked to Eri, yuuki and Sakura. You girls with me, or do you want to go it alone?"

"I'll stick with you, I could probably freeze something that tough again, in theory...I don't want to leave you unguarded since I can do that indefinitely." She paused and looked at Yuuki, her gaze turning back to her new adviser, "Will that be adequate?"

The young dragon looked at Yuuki a moment then back to the ice student who had introduced herself as Erilynn.. Yuuki had fought at her side so she felt a measure of responsibility to take her side. "Your actions by bringing winter and then killing many of the plants that Lady Yuuki has spent much of her time upon, such that I believe she count's each plant as a dragon does it's horde, then dismissing it as a minor apology would get you challenged in the dragon lands, I suggest that the maiden of ice makes a greater amends to the dryad who fought at my side, or as is my right as a daughter of the dragon king, I will challenge you to a duel myself."

*That* caught Yuuki by suprise, very pleasant surprise that shouldn't, in retrospect, have been a surprise based on what she knew of dragons in general and Krya in particular. She smiled sidelong at the taller girl, a grateful smile after an evening of being emotionally battered around by secrets uncovered and attacks by apocalyptic figures from legend and mass murdering ice maidens. She was able to take a deep breath then and reMask with an effort, feeling very tired in that relief.

"I would... apreciate something more substancial, yes. The mass slaughter of my allies by your... reckless magic is something I find very upsetting," Yuuki confessed, leaving out the 'and has earned you a sentence of death under Hina Law to be carried out at the earliest, best oppurtunity I can arrange' before finishing, "But if Shinzuka-Sensei can save them from your unatural flash freeze I do not have the lore to counter yet, I can leave it at that, Erilynn-San. At least long enough to spend the night in safety with you to cope with the current problem."

She took a deep breath and looked up at her giant apple tree, drawing spiritual reassuring from the glorious giant she had made, melancholy tinging her features at the knowledge even it wouldn't survive the cold unaided before looking back at Erilynn.

Shizuka sighed, exasperated. "I can't believe this."

She looked at the trio. "She's sorry, and it wasn't magic, just natural power amplified by being caught unaware by an enemy attack. Were this some other locale then yes, it would be bad, and a major issue but here at school, it is something that barely merits mentioning."

She looked at Yuuki. "The groundskeeper keeps a detailed log of everything that grows here, every blade of grass. Come tomorrow, you will see that your concerns are unfounded."

She shook her head. "Sadly, the tree probably won't be here though."

"You put a good deal of yourself into it, so maybe it might."

"Now look, there's potentially another shinigami out there, plus the other students. My job is to keep you all safe. Any and ALL challenges will require my signature, which I'm not inclined to give. If you continue on that path without it, then You will answer to me."

Her feline eyes gleamed with annoyance, and they could see her ears poking out through her hair.

"If at dawn you're not happy, then I will sign off on a non-lethal no powers challenge."

"Besides, right now Eri is not really a student yet. She's yet to be assigned lodging, and isn't officially listed on the roster. That would happen in the morning."

Eri frowned, she did not think that was what she meant, after all, winter was all year round where she was from, and yet, there were still plants that flourished. "I won't deny your attempts at vengeance, but I will defend myself, my values do not include flora, but, seeing now that is what you meant..." she paused turning directly towards Yuuki and gave a small bow of her head, one that does not leave her open, but still respectful, "I apologize, I'll, think of something if it would help...but for now, have faith in your allies....flower, trees, grass, bushes, all flora have seen winter time and again throughout the ages, it has never been their end, have more faith in your allies."

She turned and walked to her teacher, "It is not my intention to cause trouble here, merely to study as my mother intended."

Yuuki frowned at Erilynn's back, a slow, tired anger in her gaze. Part of being a member of the Hina Clan was stewardship over an entire kingdom of life, and that meant priveleges and responsibilities. Yes, the green and growing things of the world knew winter as part of their yearly cycle and thrived on it, but only as part of that cycle and rarely so quickly and harshly as Erilynn's flashfreeze. The anger was displaced by a measure of hope and interest though as she pondered her teacher's words. The groundskeeper was the advisor to the Gardening Club and the young dryad easily believed that such a miracle might be possible under his power and experience now that she had a chance to think past the trama of all those deaths.

"I shall abide by your ruling, Shinsuka-Sensi, and hope that it is every bit the miracle you promise," she returned softly before addressing the ice maiden, "And I accept your apoligy, pending the dawn's discovery, Erilynn-San. Please accept my apoligy for my over-emotionality. Such a thing is unfit for one of my line."

With that, Shizuka herded the three younger Yokai into her apartment in the Staff building. It was larger slightly than the standard double occupancy rooms, and there was no sign of anyone else. Looking at her, as she laid the Headmaster in her bed, and then Aoi in the other bed, it was easier to see she was so much more than a teacher.

She closed the doors, and nodded to the girls. "Make yourselves at home, in the closet is an airbed, and a couple futons. If you're hungry, I've got food in the kitchen and can make something. "There's a bathroom in the center between the rooms if you need a shower."

Her calm almost big sisterly demeanor firmly in place, now it was harder again to see her as a teacher.

Eri finally allowed herself to return to a human guise as they left, she was quietly thinking along the way, not much to initiate conversation.

Upon arrival she nodded, "Thank you," she said to the point, easily finding a bathroom for her to fix her shirt for the night. Once finished she sat down quietly on a couch, hands folded in her lap.

Yuuki, tired as she was, was too well trained to simply pull out a futon and flop down onto it in the hopes tommorow would be better than today. "Shizuka-Sensi, do you have the makings of a tea service? I will brew and pour some for everyone. It's the least I can do for your hospitality."

The young dryad's social mask held, a gentle almost smile of expectation on her lips. She managed to supress the slight tremor of realization that her evening's trials had *begun* with a tea service, too. And that there might be another Shinigami out there waiting for them. Oh, Tree help them.

"Yes I do, but..." The part of her that wanted to be a good hostess wanted to make the tea. The other part realized Yuuki, as a Hina, was infinitely better at this than she was. "It's in the top cabinet, left shelf. There should be a pot, and enough ceramic glasses for everyone."

The dragoness was pleased when her words brought a greater measure of the potential conflict to light and she looked over at Yuuki considering for a long moment, she had been a formidable companion in battle, more then the young dragon had expected, which meant she was worthy of consideration, she was beautiful and capable it would be good to add another friend to her horde, and so as they took a seat.. she held out a hand to her. "May I help, I could at least heat the pot." It was the girls beginning of an offer of friendship to the other girl. Not that she didn't consider the possiblities of the ice elemental as well, but she didn't know her yet.

"Of course, Kyra-San. Fill the container three-fourths full of water and begin heating on a medium flame," answered the young dryad over one shoulder as she fetched down the pot and the cups, finding by excelent good fortune the tea leaves and a container of tea crackers that looked to go well with the tea avialiable. Not the full tradtional elements of a Hina Tea Service, but a good servant made do with what was avialiable. She artfully arranged the elements on a tray with the assured grace of one who had done so many times before, serene and focused on nothing but the making of tea for her companions, no shinigami, no unatural winter, no duty to anything other than this crossing her mind.

"Please inform me when the pot starts to steam, Kyra-San. I'll start adding the leaves then to begin steeping in the flavor."

Kyra took the pot that was offered and did indeed fill it with water, but rather then putting it over a flame, the young red dragon held it in her hands and it began to heat, as she called heat to the pot and the water within, until it was steaming just as Yuuki asked, it was clear from the way the dragon was holding the pot that the heat didn't bother her at all, and she set the steaming pot down beside the other girls preparations. "I think it is hot enough now."

"To start with, yes," Yuuki allowed with a smile to the dragoness, measuring a precise ammount of tea leaves into the container of steaming water and stirring it in with every bit the same care as an alchemist brewing his elixirs, "But it will require two more minutes heating at that same flame to keep the water at the proper temperature as it steeps. If you would be so kind, Kyra-San..? Shizuka-Sensi, do you have any honey and lemons you mind if I use? They go well with the kind of tea leaves you have."

There was no condensation in her tone, merely the advise of an expert who knew her tea and would apreciate the help after a long night, the question equally respectful.

"Of course, lady Yuuki." She reached out and picked up the tea pot once more, allowing the same heat to fill it, holding the pot as Yuuki added whatever other ingredients that she might chose, and keeping the pot at the right heat while it simmered, technically she didn't need to hold the pot to do this, but it was easier when she did, and it didn't hurt her. Besides, Yuuki was so polite about it, she felt quite willing to be helpful in any way that Yuuki needed to finish making this pot of tea.

And then at long last, the tea service was ready, Yuuki bringing the tray over to the table in the center of the room and setting it down with a silent grace as if her much-worn gardening outfit was a formal servant's kimono, kneeling smothly to the teacher's left. The pot of tea steamed delectably at the center of a perfectly arrayed constelation of instruments and sides. Four cups awaited pouring. Small bowls respectively filled with honey, sliced lemons, and tea biscuits were ready for addition at a request. Spoons sat ready for stirring and scooping in a perfect stack.

"What would you like with your tea? Please allow me to serve you all," the young dryad commented genially, even any shadow of a grudge against Erilynn hidden under the emotional mask of the humble Hina scion in another's place of power.

Eri continued sketching, as if she didn't hear, her expression would give away that she was concentrating were there not a big pad of paper covering it up. After a long pause from Yuuki she looked up and saw that Yuuki and Kyra were a lot closer than her last peek, she only saw Yuuki staring at her, a confused "yes?" escapes her perfect lips.

Having finished her bath Shizuka had taken a place next to Yuuki. She looked to Eri and held back a sigh. "Yuuki and Kyra made some tea for all of us. She's asking if you'd like anything in yours."

The tone of her voice indicated They would all drink Tea unless there was an allergy involved.

"Yes, please, thank you, no, just regular is fine." She never really drank anything more than water before, she stared at the steaming cup slightly vexed. She politely set down her drawing pad, covered so no one could see and awaited some sort of cue.

Yuuki poured Eri's tea, a smooth silent gesture filling the cup with fragrant beverage. Onto a saucer it went and across to the ice-wielding girl it was passed.

"You're welcome, Erilynn-San," the young dryad answered, pouring two more cups in antisipation of at least the teacher's desire and her own, "Shizuka-Sensi, Kyra-San? I really do reccomend the honey. It is very good quality for tea."

"So what happens tommorow? Do we still do the play with Gintaro's ally potentially still running around?" Her even tone held inspite of the shimmer of fear that her attacker was seemingly still at large, asking the question as a curiousity rather than grave concern.

"Honey is good."

She looked to the rooms where the elder monsters were resting. "I'd say yes. To not do so would cause a panic. As it stands, we will have succeeded in removing the sector seals, weakening the power dramattically. If the ally triggers the master seal, there's a delay, enough of one that we should be able to break it down quickly."

"If it is another shinigami, I will protect you all from it, I want you all to focus on the play, and If called to it, to destroy the seal and save everyone else." There was a certain finality in her voice. If it came to that, she didn't expect to live.

"Honey is good for me also." She had taken a seat as requested by Yuuki and taken the tea offered as she listened to what was explained with regards to future plans and threats in this situation. She didn't see the need to say or ask much, as Lady Yuuki seemed to be asking all of the most important questions, instead she waited and she watched.

Archived