Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - 4.2d What Lurks

Justin OOC

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The young dryad nodded and became merely human in apperance again, the world relaxing as every plant in her range went back to the task of converting yesterday's glucose into tommorow's ATP. The tangle of vines began to relax, shrinking in fits and starts back to their corners and overhangs as the supernatural vitality leaked out of them. Yuuki looked hesitant, fighting against a lifetime of conditioning before managing to bring herself to speak, eyes firmly downcast, "Forgive me if I overstep the bounds of my station and politeness, Aoi-Donno, but... I do not understand why I was ordered to protect your sibling Kyohei-San. That his potential is important, yes. That there is more going on then I needed to know to perform my duties, yes. But... He is human angelkin and you are Lord of the Angels, and... I have always been taught that both humanity and the angels are foes of my Clan and... I apoligize, Aoi-Donno, but I do not wish to potentially face final death in such ignorance."

She had squeezed her knuckles white in her internal struggle between her subservience and her curiousity.

Aoi smiled. We were not always enemies, Yuuki. My family has a very long relationship with the Hina, one steeped in regret, but suffice it to say for now that of all the Yokai, your Hina Clan are those I would not allow harm to come to, unless I was left no choice. When this is over, It would simply be best to show you, so I will tell Kyohei to invite you home, and guarantee safe conduct."

She smiled. "He is the next head of the family after all."

Upon returning to the room, she growled softly at the headmaster, she knew he wasn't threatening her horde, it was more instinct then anything else, the room was filled with gold and treasures, gems, silk hangings sense she had been to earth, and all kinds of treasures, colorful seashells and pearls were even part of the gathered treasures. She went into the bathing room and turned the water up super hot, hotter then anyone human would have been comfortable with and began to shower in the scaling hot water, filling the air with thick steam, but she was also trying to be quick, she scrubbed until she was sure the rancid blood was completely clean from every part of her, even from under her fingernails and eyelashes.. she also washed the locket completely as possible, inside and out as part of the her bathing...

It was about 2 or 3 minutes when she came out of the shower with a towel wrapped around her as there was a knock at the door, and she glanced at the headmaster went to get it, the locket still hanging from her fingers.

The Headmaster found Yuuki and Aoi outside, the Angel Lord looking much better for mental wear than the young dryad. Yuuki kept seeing the wave of white death that had swept out from the direction of the Academy store, flash-freezing everything around her and Aoi, the sheer death toll on the lawns and the flowers and shrubs and small trees and even one or two of the ailing older trees the Gardening Club had been tending to... It was almost more than she could process atop of every else that had happened tonight.

She didn't know the magic that could save these allies of hers, not yet, and Aoi's understanding answer to her broken whisper of a question 'who did this?' only made it worse. The Shinigami hadn't done this. No, it had been someone else, a student, a teacher. She'd find them. And then they would die. Or as close to it as she could arrange. So she kept promising to each and every dying plant she passed.

Her eyes glanced up at the master of her school, mechanically intoning over the mental loop of horror and anger, "Headmaster-Sensi, may Aoi-Donno and I enter? We discovered something important."

The headmaster nodded, not waiting for Kyra to say yes. Looking out the window he shook his head. "How the hell did that happen?"

Aoi nodded. "Wasn't a Shinigami, my money's a student, though I'm not aware of any you have that could hit the entire school at once."

He seemed lost in thought. Aoi looked to Kyra. "Please go get dressed, so we can continue our business."

The young dragoness growled softly at the interlopers, driven a bit by instinct, three people in close vicinity to her territory, if she hadn't invited or allowed them entry, she would have a harder time keeping herself under control. As it was, a gentle warning growl was something she just couldn't keep from slipping out, but even as she did that, she followed the Headmaster's instructions and grabbed a silk kimono in colors of red and gold and slipped back into the bathroom for about a minute, returning an instant later, not willing to let them wander around her room unattended. "Ok, we can leave now."

"The World showed me there was something important in the theater, and Aoi-Donno said that our foe could have hidden the master sigil there with so many of us there to confuse things," Yuuki offered quietly, trying to ignore Kyra and her challenge. As if Yuuki would care about her baubles when she had just lost so many friends and allies to this student murderer. If she didn't have more important duties to do... Think about it another time.

"Whatever you desire of me, I shall attempt although this... impetious student," the young dryad managed to substitute for a much harsher word at the last second, the very pause in her even tone telling, "has robbed me of most allies save what I carry in my pockets."

Yuuki sternly supressed the rebuttal 'Yes, why don't we murder almost the entire student body without the proper healing magic on hand and see how much the next group of students are unaffected by the massacare?', *knowing* in her youthful wrath and certainty that the Headmaster wouldn't get it. Nor was it her place to lecture him. In any event, her social mask mostly held as the young dryad followed the Headmaster wherever they were going, her gardening outfit feeling like white funeral garb under the circumstances.

Yuuki frowned and unMasked without being asked to, flashing into a verdant-haired beacon of spring amidst the unatural winter landscape. It hurt as she extended her control over the living world around her, like pushing her hand through a pile of jagged ice chips with so, so many of the few plants in her range still alive too injured to answer her call if she had to rely on them. Not if she wanted them to have even a chance of surviving.

"Shall I ask the World again to help us, Headmaster?" she quietly commented, frowning inside behind a nuetral mask of duty.

Unmasking and triggering Plant Control

Kyra looked around a moment, and frowned. "This is strange, I don't like the cold either" She reached out and touched one of the plants and calling on her powers over fire, and by extension, heat, she called heat to herself,, not fire, but just enough to bring back the warmth of spring and let it spread out from her, radiating warmth outward from her, melting the chill around them, and sort of offering herself as a bit of a heater to the others. "What are we looking for now, sir?" She directed her question toward the headmaster.

they'd made it to the open courtyard, and As she spoke, the headmaster moved, drawing a chain from his sleeve, blocking the blade that had been about to slash at Kyra. "I wondered how long it would take." The clatter of the chain by her ear was enough to make Kyra duck, and startle Even Aoi.

The blade was attached to a long black handle, which arched back, revealing against the cold night sky a white masked, black shrouded figure.

"Gintaro."

There was a chuckle from the mask and the blade moved silently, only making a sound as it hit the blade, cutting through it, and more. "It is said that all things have a soul."

The Scythe returned to the ready. The gravelly voice coming from the mask continued. "Thus all things can know death." As the scythe drew back, they watched as the soul of the chain was drawn into it, and the chain crumbled to dust.

Death had come for them personally.

(Initiatives please)

Yuuki stiffened at the creature's arrival, but the monologue gave her a chance to place an eggshell of duty over the incipient terror even as she realized something important. This Gintaro didn't 'feel' the same as her earlier attacker. Either it could disguise what it felt like or there *were* two of them. Oh, merciful Tree.

"Aoi-Donno, Headmaster-Sensi, I don't think this is the creature that attacked me," she volunteered, thinking even in her numb self-control to draw out a response from the gloating horror or offer one final warning, features pale but composed as her cherry blossom storm rose up around her.

[envoy] 7:11 am: and what do we roll for inititve? 2d6+?

[Long6] 7:14 am: ACV + Attack combat mastery+3/rank in lightning reflexes

[Long6] 7:14 am: base ACV

envoy *rolls* 2d6: 6+2+6: 14

[envoy] 7:16 am: and raising defenses is still just a free at will action?

[Long6] 7:18 am: yes

[envoy] 7:20 am: Whee, forcefield.

So, soak: 40, HP: 125, EP: 145, Iniative: 14.

The heat rolling off Kyra seemed to shift in intensity slightly, as she manifested wings, armor and claws, then stepped back slightly, giving the headmaster a momentary glance of thanks, not entirely sure she could have dodged that blow, whatever it had been. The young dragoness began to softly growl, this time it wasn't instinct so much as it was a threat display as she spread her wings and prepared to attack.

Initiative

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 6+2+7: 15

The young dragoness took in a deep breath and let go with a breath of pure flame, directing her fierciest and most deadly weapon against the foe who had attacked them, the breath of the fire dragon. The blast of fire increased the warmth around her considerably, but it was also a rather dangerous blaze reached out to strike her enemy.

Fire Breath Attack

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 5+4+9: 18

Health Value 205

Energy Points 120 - 10 for Fire Breath = 110

'I'm sorry,' Yuuki whispered to a handful of her seeds even as she sent them at Gintaro in a writhing tangle of mixed foliage. There was nothing else she could do, not with the folliage of the campus flash frozen into death and near-death. Not that she would have felt any better about sending *those* plants into battle against a foe who could slay presumeably spiritual weapons in one strike.

The cheerful enthusiam of the energized seedlings and sprouting seeds for the chance of that service only made the feeling worse, Yuuki knowing that to sacrifice loyal plants was the gravest burden of her Clan.

envoy 9:28 am: rolling to hit mr. homicidal destroyer of worlds in MA.

envoy *rolls* 2d6: 3+6+11: 20

[Long6] 9:29 am: that will hit him

[envoy] 9:29 am: 40 damage and a bind with 15 hp then.

Soak: 40, HP: 125, Ep: 140

The plants entangled him, thorns jabbing into him, and then withered and died. Aoi took his momentary trapping to hit him hard with a Celestial spell. "Way of Destruction number Four, Byakurai!" The bolt of holy lighting struck him full on, and drew his ire. "Why are you fighting family, little one."

The look of shock on Aoi's face was evident, even as the scythe arced in at her, the headmaster's chain wrapping around the end before it could strike her.

"Focus Aoi! He will kill us all if you don't."

(Kyra's up.)

Her fires had done nothing, and she moved backward, she had been about to attack with claws, when she saw the effect it had on the plants, direct touch on this creature was also a bad idea. Kyradathea was confused now, she didn't know what to do next, and she moved further away from the center of the battle, her brow furrowed in uncertainty, she couldn't hit it it with her claws, and her fire breath had done nothing... so she wasn't sure what to do next.

The Headmaster pulled hard on the chain, trying to wrench it from Gintaro's hands, but he held it fast, instead pulling back and causing the headmaster to lose balance, and with a rapid strike, the blade amputated one of his arms at the elbow.

"Careful old man. You might be protected somewhat, but you're still alive, and under my jurisdiction."

"Arrogant as always." The hand that had been cut off and picked up surged with power, and exploded knocking the scythe away momentarily.

(Yuuki is up)

Yuuki's response was instant, eyes going wide as she saw the oppurtunity form. Maybe it'd work, maybe it wouldn't, but she had to try. She plucked out an apple seed from her remaining handful, tossed it near the weapon and *pushed* a slug of energy into the potential tree. It responded as if under the world's fastest time lapse film, breaking the cement and growing first strong and tall and then looming over the school like a primordial tree from a Earth that had never known the touch of man. It's wood wrapped around and around the handle of the unholy weapon and bore it up and away into the depths of it's heartwood, careful never to come in direct contact with the blade under it's mistess' warning.

[envoy] 7:40 am: rolling to dramatic edit, burning 50 EP.

envoy *rolls* 2d6: 2+6+8: 16

[envoy] 7:41 am: That might do the job of trapping the damn weapon.

Soak: 40, HP:125, EP: 95

"Clever girl." The Shinigami moved towards her, only to be met by Aoi, another blade fan in her hands, cutting into the outstretched hand meant to take the life of the young dryad.

'I swore to protect these children, You cannot have them."

"You'll do." With that he reached for her instead catching her robe, which began to disintegrate. She lashed out with a foot, kicking him away, and the shoe off, even as it too began to disintegrate. Before the decay could spread to her, she doffed the robe, revealing the form fitting black top and hakama she wore beneath them, looking less like a lord, and alot more like a monster hunter. Her arms bare now she was more vulnerable to be sure.

The young dragon had been thinking a moment, touching this enemy was not a good idea, but her soul was bound to the essence of fire.. and fire could both defend her and return that fury to the one who did her harm. Reaching out to the magicial forces bound up in her very blood, she touched the nature of flame, and called it to her, like a human might take a breath, and she drew it into herself, mixing it with her magic, then willed it to do as she pleased, causing the mix of magic and fire to do as she wished, spreading the defensive flames to protect and guard her allies as well, to prevent contact with the enemy as she could, as she moved to join the others in the battle once again.

As she did, blazing auras of protective flame surrounded everyone as the fire dragon threw up a defense that she thought could keep the enemy from direct contact with anyone close to the others in battle, and hopefully protect them from the damaging forces of contact with the enemy.

Power Flux Roll: Spirit 8 + 2d6, target 12

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 3+4+8: 15

Power Flux: Fire 4 gives 16 points to spend

Use Power Flux for Burning Aura of Fire (Forcefield 4 (12 points) w/Offensive (1 Point), Regenerating (1 Point), Area 2 (2) - 3 Meters or 9 yards)

The Force Field can be added to any allies within 9 meters as well.. it counts as a level 4 weapon due to offensive any time anyone is struck

Surrounded by flames that both reinforced her thrumming forcefield and kept her from lashing out with her remaining seeds if she wished, Yuuki exhaled and forced yet more energy from her body into the tree above them initating a cycle of growth and budding that sent a treelimb the mass of your average Cadillac plumeting for Gintaro's head, replaced even as it fell. She was going to pay for this push later if she survived, but she would not shirk in her duties to her Clan. No, she would not!

envoy] 9:34 am: Okay, rolling to hit Gintaro with a giant tree branch from above.

envoy *rolls* 2d6: 3+3+13: 19

[envoy] 9:35 am: Hopefully that does something for 30 more EP

Soak:40 + whatever the benefit of Kyra's field is, HP:125, EP:65

Having acheived what seemed like the advantage of high ground and disarming their foe, Yuuki looked reluctant to run away even as she waited for another branch to be ready to pummel the horror again. "What about the master sigil? What about sealing this one while we distract him, Headmaster-Sensi?" she exhaled quickly.

The World wouldn't have shown her this place if there was nothing here worth finding and fighting for, her glowing eyes conveyed.

"The Master sigil isn't here."

He looked at Aoi. "Sealing him would be a good idea though."

"If we do it now, we won't be able to later."

"I know. Ruby and Darrik might be able to do it."

The log cracked with rot, it wouldn't be long again.

They could hear the reaper's scythe coming free of the tree. "Alright. Kyra, Yuuki keep him down, we're going to seal him."

She thought about a moment, the decaying branch might actually help what she was about to do, and she took in a breath, then breathed out with the blaze of fire that she had earlier, a blast of heat coming from her as she essentially breathed fire directly onto the branch and the momentarily immobilized being trapped underneath it. Once she did that, she looked to Yuuki again. "Now, drop another branch on him."

Attack Role: Fire Breath

Weapon 8, Continuing 2, Range 2, Area 2, Muscle; Deplete -1

Energy: 100/120

The scythe was halfway out of the tree now and continuing to move. there was a grunt of pain as the fire washed over the pinned Shinigami. "When I get up, little dragon, I am going to show you that even your hoard can die... Just like all the plants and everything else here."

"You will not," intoned Yuuki simply, a beacon of life and fire with blazing green eyes, fury and fear under grace as she quite simply dropped a good sixth of the enormous tree canopy on him with a concusive thud that cracked the stone and sent chunks of hardwood into the seats and stage like chunky bullets. Another main branch pivoted to follow next chance she had to act.

envoy *rolls* 2d6: 6+1+13: 20

[envoy] 9:06 pm: hopefully that hits...

Soak:40 +Krya bonus, HP:125, EP:95

the two elders were moving one to each side of the shinigami now, a great magical sigil forming beneath gintaro, as chains began to spring forth. "Keep Pounding him dammit, and keep the scythe away!"

It was to this that Eri, Shizuka and the others arrived. "Eri don't let that thing or the blade touch you!"

Shizuka rared back with her hammer, and actually knocked the scythe back into the tree like a nail.

Using superhuman strength, she slammed a flame covered claw into the tree, even as she covered the falling tree branch in another shield of burning energy, holding it down to try and pin the strange being down for long enough for the others to do what they needed to, except that wasn't quite what she managed to do, sense it was something she hadn't done before, she screwed it up.

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 1+1+9: 11

Botch.. what happens here is up to our GM

She got far too close, and almost touched the pinned Shinigami, which would have been a bad way to go. Her stumble kept her safe, as he reached for her and grabbed only air. With momentum and the force of her attack though, she did shift the branch some, enough that the wounded shinigami was able to partially free himself, and soon would finish doing so, making this fight much more difficult.

(yuuki is up)

Archived