Shadowrun/L5R

Jager

I started this line in another section, but thought it was more appropriate here. I am going to start running Shadowrun using L5R rules. If anyone has any interesting ideas, or just once to give me a clue (or a campaign idea), just join in. More later.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
That's why I am doing it. I am not a glutton for punishment. In fact, I am a bit lazy.

Sorry to ask, but why do you want to convert the system? And are you using the first or second L5R edition rules?

AEON

>Gag< >choke< First Edition rules, primarily. Since both the L5R game that I am in and the one I am running are campaigns, we use first edition. Starting characters are too hopeless in 2nd Edition. I just 'loved' their response to that. "No one plays rank 1 characters. Everyone plays rank 3 or 4". Huh? Character development, anyone? Some of the rules concerning skill use I will experiment with, but I wasn't very pleased with the product. What was your opinion?

As for why I am seeking to convert the system, d6 systems don't have the variable range that I like. Shadowrun was originally to be a d10 system, but they changed it at the last minute. That is why the Smartgun Links -2 to targeting is so powerful. That is also why in 1st edition shadowrun, two street sams could shoot each other all day long, but could only hurt each other in hand to hand. 2nd edition repaired some of that and 3rd was even better, but I still like the feel of L5R and its combat lethality. In shadowrun, everyone just shoots. No one dives for cover, uses suppression fire, or any combat tactic what so ever. If the opposition doesn't have assault rifles, why bother. Do they have a skill of 6? Whimps only got a 4 (i.e. very competent in the skill)! He's a dead man. I can roll that down, no problem. Been down that road for years. Since I don't tend to have street gangs rolling around with AK-97s, cybered to the gills, and wearing military grade armor (I somehow feel this would be unrealistic) PC's treat them like punks. Sorry, I think I am ranting again. Does that answer your question? If you have any suggestions, they would be welcome.

Yeah, I had that problem with shadowrun too. I had a group of players surrounded by a gang who were well armed (uzi and no armour), the players just laughed, kicked in the reflex boosters and killed them all without the gang members getting a single action...silly. The third edition solved a lot of that. I guy I know changed the system so that you counted the d6 successes against an unchanging TN of 4, ducking for cover etc meant that you needed more successes not a higher TN...it seemed to work.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
>Gag< >choke< First Edition rules, primarily. Since both the L5R game that I am in and the one I am running are campaigns, we use first edition. Starting characters are too hopeless in 2nd Edition. I just 'loved' their response to that. "No one plays rank 1 characters. Everyone plays rank 3 or 4". Huh? Character development, anyone? Some of the rules concerning skill use I will experiment with, but I wasn't very pleased with the product. What was your opinion?

I have bought both of the books and read them now, but have not had a chance to use the rules yet because I am half-way through campaigns and we do not want to change the rules now!

I am a bit divided on whether they are any good or not! I suppose I will find out when I play with them. Have you seen the new product coming soon? "Way of the Nezumi (Ratlings)"!!!

Aeon

I also hear that they are coming out with the Way of the Shadowlands. You get to play Goblins and Ogres. I am sure they will have rules for Oni as well.

So in the words of the immortal Goblin Warmonger 'Gettumlads', "Bring it on, Rat-boy!" (and why wouldn't an oriental monster speak with a british accent)

True, but after playing several different GURPS games, I find that the rules tend to get in the way of play. Lets face it, GURPS is a rules lawyer's, and min-maxer's wet dream.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ranger:
GURPS: "A rule for everything and everything in its rule"

I actually like the system because you can do anything easily but I tend to ignore most of the rules.

Gurps os pretty intimidating for new gamers I have found. I think that gamers prefer a fixed setting rather than generic rules for their games. True, this means that more books must be bought - but hey, thats life!

Aeon

Okay, Ranger. Step away from the table. No sudden moves toward those books, son, or the fireman will be forced to shoot. Father, move around to the side. You know how dangerous those GURP's fanatics can be.

RANGER, Nooo!!!!

(floossshhhhh)

Not my Mythic China!!!! Nooooo!!!!! That one's out of print! Aaaarrrggghhhh...Kill you all...gggrrrrr....

Yea, noone in their right mind would run GURPS with all the rules. that's insane. but when you just use the basic rules, Gurps is the fastest, most flexible, and most realistic system out there. except for charachter creation which is a nightmare and requires a calculator. the only way to speed that up is to memorize the books. Which a friend of mine did. oi. but he runs great gurps games. and only having to use 3d6 is a nice touch.

plus the combat system actually makes allowance for being able to parry attacks which is a nice change from most other systems where parrying is generally ignored.

and with all those rules you generally don't have to make up a system for something 'cause it's all in there. even how tight of a circle you can turn in your glider.

THe only real problem is that it can start to break down ad extreemly high power levels like supers games 500 point charachters are a pain to create.

Aeon, Jager, Father...laugh all you want. I'm the only poor bastard who actually has to play in the Rangers dementia...I mean games!

Laugh all you want about GURPS, I'm the one who will have to make a 15 and a half point goblin character for his game (at his request) .....I'm the one who has to sit in Ars magica with no magic!

If any of you can help me escape form this tortured world...please let me know....

That said I think I'll GM Tunnels And Trolls or Bunnies and Burrows tonight for him and the others...REVENGE I SAY...Revenge...hahahaha!

Bagman, we can't save you, but we can end your misery. The missles are on the way.

Hey, what's wrong with gronks?

For those who know L5R, the Way of the Shadowlands came out this week. They outline some new horrors (like the Daughter of Fu Leng) and go into some depths on Ogres. Most importantly though, it gave me a great undead love story about this young Moto girl who is taken by the Lost Moto and becomes one of them. When the Lost go raiding beyond the wall, she encounters the man she was sneaking out to meet on the night she was taken. Worse, he recognized her and didn't attack her. She gets seperated from him and unhorsed. Now the other Lost Moto have left her in the empire. What's a poor girl to do?

Saved from a gruesome fate involving The Ranger, two hamsters, a bowl of custard, and a copy of GURPS by the timely arrival of another GM with an Ars Magica rulebook.

I waited in desperate hope for those missiles but they never struck.....umm, thinking about it now. Could you please recall them?

Damn, forgot what I had meant to say due to the onslaught of flashbacks that I had managed to successfully repress.

Way of the shadowlands? That would be 2nd ed or 3rd now? I seem to recall reading through one already.

We have one crazy Moto in the game I'm in, great fun, insists on riding his horse through buildings during combat....bloody unicorns!

Quote:
MERP anyone? Runequest? Traveller? How about that dream of the tabletop; Star Fleet Battles?

OK, I am a pretty young gamer - but I HAVE been challenged to learn to play Starfleet Battles. And I accepted, not knowing what it was... Now I am gonna have to read so many books. I think my friend said -

"Now those rules will put hairs on your chest, they will..."

Arghh

Aeon

Quote:
Do you know there was a guy in the second edition credits who had the tagline "the guy who knows where everything is in the first edition". The book was huge, more like a textbook for advanced mathematics.

Yeah, this was divulged to me AFTER having accepted the challenge! I am not even going to get to start for ages anyway!

Aeon

- What a sad git!!!

Archived