Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Hinky Shadow Games (Fin)

Toby Lupin

Darrik reappeared in his room, thankful he didn't have to deal with the Lords or the inedible sweets Serena had devised in some maddened corner of her mind. Flicker appeared with excitement, and Darrik passed him the cookies. Heck, maybe the imp would like them.

In any case, he sat down on his bed and mindful of the fact that his room could be less than secure, he supposed a magical inspection couldn't hurt. He spread his senses and began double-checking and triple-checking. He wanted privacy for the talk with Yuuki.

Finding nothing out of the ordinary, he sat down and waited for her to come.

A few minutes later, there was a knock on his door and if he peeked outside, he'd find Hina Yuuki standing outside in the simple and tasteful dress she had worn to the rehersal, black hair combed straight down her back and green eyes nodding welcome at the odd male monster who she had come to trust in her weeks living in the boys dorm.

The young dryad flexed her senses out of old training, exploring the space behind the closed door in front of her, chuckling inside as she found nothing more than the odd grass and weed seed, blind and dreaming as seeds tended to, scattered about the floor and other odd places in such small numbers so as to suggest a very neat and careful person indeed. This would be... interesting.

Darrik opened the door somewhat, and nodded once he saw Yuuki. "Come in." When she did so, as he closed the door behind her, Yuuki could tell that the room had more space in there than was being used in the end. Inevitable as a result of being the only person in the room- for who would bunk with a warlock? Very few, and there had never been a roommate in Darrik's stay.

There was a reasonable level of organization and recent cleaning in the room, a dresser and cabinets in one end, a made bed for one and books here and there. Darrik's staff was leaning on the wall. And noticeable near the closet-

"She's cute." Flicker remarked with a grin. Darrik glared at the imp and the imp's grin faded away. "Sorry. The cookies were good by the way." Darrik looked shocked, as anyone with knowledge of the subject would. "Only you could. Turn invisible and keep an eye out for any eavesdroppers, would you?"

Flicker vanished from view, apparently complying. Darrik sighed. "My imp, Flicker. More trouble than he's worth sometimes." He sat down on the bed, and began to raise the question. "Now then... I should ask. Kyohei's your roommate. How much do you know about him?"

Yuuki considered the question, the surroundings, and the boy who asked it, scripted and sincere-looking promise of a smile holding. "I know that Kyohei-San is a good person and one who has protected me from those who would harass me in this dorm, one who can aparently handle himself and has the attention of our visiting high-ranking angel as did yourself," she responded, green eyes becoming amused as she adds on a whim, "And he cooks a very flavorful chicken and rice soup."

"Why do you ask, Darrik-Sempai?"

"Not for ascertaining the nature of his cooking- though I had the pleasure of it recently." Darrik remarked, determined to not let anything slip while getting some observations explained. "Well, those attentions... I think that seems to have bothered you somehow, more than the mutual dislike we both have of those who are Celestial. You can get it off your chest here."

Yuuki decided to gamble, running with the sense of 'comunity first' her Clan and his valley seemed to have from her earlier tutoring.

"Angels are always a threat, passive and implied or active and imediate as the case may be. Were I in the Hina Valley and one attempted an unannounced incursion, all of my sisters and elders would be mobilized to repel it, ancient pacts invoked and our arsenals opened. To find one not only permited on Academy grounds but... mingling with my roomate and my classmate is... perturbing," she answered seriously, losing the smile for once, "As is the entire situation, really."

Darrik's smile grew thin, and lost any warmth. But it was fixed there, and he shrugged. "It's political, whatever is going on. Aoi is Lord of the Angels. And..." he stopped himself and fixed a strong look at Yuuki. "Look, I think you really have to answer me completely. How much do you know about Kyohei? I'm not going forward without hearing it truly from you."

Yuuki blinked and her thoughts whirled. Aoi was Lord of the Angels. Kyohei-San had an angelic sister named Aoi. That would mean... Wait. Don't assume. It could just be a namesake. Tree knew there were enough Monsters named after the five Lords. But keep it in mind.

Darrik got a look, one very much akin to the look one of the first humans might have gotten from a dryad back in the ancient past when he stumbled along the hunting trail near her tree and the yokai was trying to decide if she could try words or might be forced to go to violence. Flight wasn't an option when you were a lone dryad, and while Yuuki's existence wasn't in any real danger here, she did have a duty to her Clan to suceed at.

"I know more, yes. Question for question, answer for answer?" she replied seriously, folding her hands in her lap and waiting, falling back on the bluntest diplomatic bargain she knew.

Darrik nodded quietly, though at some point he would have to terminate the agreement once they reached a question he could not give on. His expression in turn reminded Yuuki that in many ways, hated by most, locked up in their Valley, the only refuge, the tenacity and stubbornness of the warlocks could be tremendous. How much he would give was up to question.

"Yes. Continue that answer you were giving me, then you can ask your next."

"Kyohei-San is human. He is a Yokai Hunter whose memory was erased before he entered this Academy. And he is kin to other angel yokai hunters, among them one named Aoi-San who is probably a namesake of the angel Lord visiting the Academy," Yuuki returned smoothly, confidently, tilting her head to one side before asking her question, "What secret was bothering you that one time in practise weeks ago that you told me was Newpaper Club business only? If it was enough to bother someone like you, it must be... important."

The words hit Darrik like a hammer, though he only grew tight-lipped. Kyohei's memory wiped? Though shocking... it did explain the odd question of how he could be so unaware of the Monster World when he arrived. Selective editing. It seemed like something Aoi would do...... think about that later, he decided.

"Perhaps..." he began. "But I can't answer that one. Don't ask why. It's no longer Newspaper Club business. Feel free to ask me another one instead."

While waiting to hear, he closed his eyes and began to scan the area again magically. With this content, better safe than sorry. Nothing apparent though.

Yuuki chuckled behind one hand, the sympathetic chuckle of one who recognized the chains of duty. When the chuckle passed, it left behind a grim smile that conveyed into her question. Another feint, another another tool, now that the direct route was denied her.

"If and when your secret becomes an active threat to the Academy, will you tell us what it is and how we can help defeat it?"

"If the situation calls for it, then yes, I will." Darrik didn't look any happier, but something in his expression doubted the impact of the information. He didn't want the situation with Noriega to get any worse than it had been. "If you have anything else you wish to ask, why don't you get them out now?"

"I believe, Darrik-Sempai, that we had a bargain, and you just answered a question of mine. It would be a breach of good faith to exploit your goodwill. The next question is yours," Yuuki countered mildly, gaze measuring and not disrespectful. Warlock and part human Darrik may have been at his root, but he was of a line that had won a peaceful sanctuary in the Monster World and that merited respect. At the very least, the Warlocks hadn't counted among the Hina Clan's active eniemies in centuries. That warranted alot.

"No, go ahead. I'm still picking over how I should ask certain questions of mine." Darrik stated, then amended that. "Actually, this I can ask now. How did you find out about Kyohei's memory issue? I can assume you learned the other elements from him, but what about this one?"

"He told me himself as the memory block wore off," Yuuki answered simply, trying to follow the Warlock's thought process by the questions he asked so that she could have a shape to her ignorance. Something had happened, a higher up shutting him down most likely if his stubborness extended to rejecting coersion based on mere violence... Who though?

"Who told you that your secret was no longer Newspaper Club business?" she asked, smiling as she skirted the spirit but not the letter of his previous injunction about asking 'why'. Worth a try.

"Simply put," Darrik responded, quirking his mouth as he recognized Yuuki's attempt to circumvent the agreement. Of course, he didn't have to stonewall... "-someone whose authority I respect." If Yuuki managed to narrow it down to the Headmaster, plaudits to her intelligence, but he doubted with the case of Aoi as an example she would pull it off.

"I should ask now... why do you find all this so important? There are plausible reasons already presented by yourself... but you singled out Kyohei and myself as the causes for concern with the mingling. Why?"

"You I work with and were in possesion of a secret you've told me you've been silenced about," Yuuki explained pleasantly, trying to consider who in the Monster World a Warlock would respect. It wasn't a very long list but she'd want to double check on her own time once she was done fishing here. First rule: never assume.

The next part of her answer was more serious and laden with the implications of oaths and promises beyond her own life, "My Elders instructed me to protect him. I will not fail in that duty through negligance, even with an angel actively involved."

The undertones lightened again, her tone musing, "You know, your oath makes my questions really hard to ask. So, may I have some tea?"

Darrik raised an eyebrow. "The tea I have tends to be kept in a drawer until it's time for them to be used. I doubt they'll have any answers for your questions in place of mine." It was the first tacit acknowledgment that Yuuki might use her powers to circumvent his resistance.

"But if you are indeed thirsty, I should have some black tea still." He got up and went to the kitchenette in the side of the two part dorm room, opened a drawer to check. "Right." He closed it back up and picked out a kettle from the cabinet right below the drawer and began filling it with water.

"So, it's of importance that Kyohei be kept safe? Interesting decision by the Matriarchs. But he tends to be a special boy, I suppose."

Another arcane-extension of senses was in order during the tea making.

Click to reveal..
Jeremy *rolls* 2d6: 1+6+10: 17

"I can no more ask your dead tea leaves questions of mine than a being without, what's the word... ah, necromancy can ask questions of fingernail clippings or dandriff," confirmed the young dryad as she settled into a chair and waited for the tea, "A good tea service is simply an exercise in good faith by both sides. The recepient that the server will not poison the drink. The server that the recepient will not attack while they prepare and serve the drink."

It was an old cynical explaination from her tutors back in the Hina Valley, but Yuuki thought it had a certain poetry for frank exchanges.

Nothing on the arcane front. Darrik wondered if he should be bothering at this point. "You didn't say anything about afterward, I notice." After some time, the tea water boiled, and he poured two cups of hot liquid. The leaves were added in their turn, and two mugs of black tea were consequently in Yuuki and Darrik's hands.

"Drink up."

"No. I didn't, did I, Darrik-Sempai?" Yuuki answered with just the hint of a smirk and a nod of thanks, "We are talking politics in the real world, are we not?"

Some tea was sipped, to all apperances savored, and then swallowed, the young dryad measuring the warlock with her gaze. "Your question, I believe, unless you care to volunteer why you think we aren't all celebrating the death or defeat of Lord Aoi who had the hubris to invade the monster world at the moment?"

A glint in her eyes betrayed a note of kidding, a quirk of the lips as she took another sip of tea.

"I have my suspicions," Darrik admitted as he administered the tea to his mouth carefully, "but I could be wrong. At the mere least, the reason I am thinking of is one that would certainly bring Aoi and the Lords here. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the nature of those suspicions either. You might as well enjoy the rest of your tea, unless you have something else you think you can get out of me."

"I have gotten more than enough to pursue my own explorations and confirm a few guesses, thank you, but, yes, the tea is very good," thanked the young dryad to her host, "And at least I know that when your secret turns poisonous there will be one cappable individual with an idea what's actually going on. I shall have my eye on you, Darrik-Sempai."

She nodded and sipped her tea, polite smile of an expression slipping back onto her face.

"Please," Darrik replied earnestly, "I have enough eyes on me in my opinion. But you do what you think is right." The memory of the torture of Flicker remained, and he wondered if the culprit would still be a danger to himself. He took another gulp of tea. "At least we can say that this wasn't made by Serena. I wonder if anyone's going to be honest with her?"

"Only time will tell, Darrik-Sempai," Yuuki answered as she finished the last of her tea, bowing her head, "Thank you for your hospitality and a most intriguing talk. Now, I have things to do and mysteries to root out before they come to fruition."

And with that, she rose to her feet, waiting for the warlock to open the door. Once she was outside, she'd trust the world to guide her feet where she needed to go and hopefully the world agreed she needed to protect Kyohei and prove herself to her Clan. It was always a risk, but the young dryad didn't think she had a lot of time left to be careful in before things went wrong with all five Monster Lords and an angel involved.

Click to reveal..
Yuuki will activate Zen Movement if Darrik excuses her.

Darrik let Yuuki out, and when the cute young dryad had left, Darrik shut the door firmly and returned to sinking on his bed. Yuuki had not put the answers together, he knew, and that would hamper her for a while. Time was not their friend, for either of them.

"Yuuki, do what you must, and I will too. May you make no mistakes, and I do not make any more. But I fear we're too late. Whatever is going on, it's about to come to a head, believe me." Flicker reappeared, and Darrik patted a hand for the imp to leap up beside him. "Get ready Flicker. We have an angel for a visitor soon enough, though I consider her anything but one."

Archived