End of a great Game: SWG

Mr Fox

I just received this letter from Star Wars Galaxies. Although, I haven't actively played the game in a while, this still makes me very sad. I've got some great memories from the game, and to this day, it still has the very best in game housing system of any MMO on the market past or present. I for one, am sad to see it go.

Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Community Member,

We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.

We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we've received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.

In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.

Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts

SWG died for me with the NGE. I mourned it then.

I mourned the loss of resource hunts, finding out the most in-demand materials for the Doctor buff kits and medkits and hunting them all over the Galaxy to sell to Docs for obscene amounts of credits.

I mourned the loss of Jedi actually being an alpha class, so that for me as a Bounty Hunter taking the buggers on was a challenge.

I mourned the loss of one of the best class-tree systems for customised characters. Carbineer/Bounty Hunter and Pistoleer/Smuggler to Rifleman/Ranger and Pikeman/Combat Medic.

I mourned hunting Krayt Dragons back when dragon pearls actually meant something.

I mourned the pitched starport battles, the ambushes between Imp and Rebel guilds, the impromptu zergs, and the stealth-kills.

I mourned the loss of bomb droids.

I mourned my old guild on Bria server, most of whom faded away after the NGE.

SOE had a popular, growing product. WoW might still have been a contender, but SWG as it was before the NGE was a juggernaut. The planets were awesome to visit and travel across, the player town and housing systems were second to none. SOE even admitted that they boobed with the NGE, but they didn't change it back. The only reason people went back and played was due to it being the only SW game in town. With SWTOR coming out, I guess they decided to turn off the life support.

Yeah, they admit they botched things, but I did go back a couple years ago and played and it was a lot of fun. I did the entire main quest line and it was pretty cool, they had made some serious improvements as well as some new mistakes.

It's just a shame that they will shelve this and it will never be played again. I wish they'd leave the lights on and let people play for free, but I'm sure it is Lucas Arts pulling the plug rather than Sony. Sony would leave it going until the last dime of profit was drained a decade from now, or more.

LucasArts is pulling the plug, but not due to KOTOR. It's because LucasArts has believed that SOE has done a poor job in running the game.

I guess after SOE had that debacle with people's personal info getting hacked, LucasArts finally decided to pull the trigger.

In my opinion... SWG lingered longer than it should have.

In my mind NGE will go down as the worst revamp every put to an MMO. The system before was just so astounding that to this day I have not seen anything that thrills me near as much. I also was one of those who scoured the galaxy for resources, spent hours traveling to and from extractors, worked hard to build up many of the professions to master, sadly never unlocking my force sensitive slot. I played the game for about an hour after the revamp. After that I decided the game was already dead. Though I do find this news a bit sad. I did have the thought that as a SOE game my all access account gave me the power to go back and try it again any time I wanted. Now that will no longer be true. This will also be the first SOE game to be closed which makes me wonder if EQ or Planetside may not be far behind.

In the end I will always remember the original SWG and miss it, but in my eyes what they are shutting down now is another failed attempt at a good Sci-Fi MMO.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Einherjar
SWG died for me with the NGE. I mourned it then.

I mourned the loss of resource hunts, finding out the most in-demand materials for the Doctor buff kits and medkits and hunting them all over the Galaxy to sell to Docs for obscene amounts of credits.

I mourned the loss of Jedi actually being an alpha class, so that for me as a Bounty Hunter taking the buggers on was a challenge.

I mourned the loss of one of the best class-tree systems for customised characters. Carbineer/Bounty Hunter and Pistoleer/Smuggler to Rifleman/Ranger and Pikeman/Combat Medic.

I mourned hunting Krayt Dragons back when dragon pearls actually meant something.

I mourned the pitched starport battles, the ambushes between Imp and Rebel guilds, the impromptu zergs, and the stealth-kills.

I mourned the loss of bomb droids.

I mourned my old guild on Bria server, most of whom faded away after the NGE.

SOE had a popular, growing product. WoW might still have been a contender, but SWG as it was before the NGE was a juggernaut. The planets were awesome to visit and travel across, the player town and housing systems were second to none. SOE even admitted that they boobed with the NGE, but they didn't change it back. The only reason people went back and played was due to it being the only SW game in town. With SWTOR coming out, I guess they decided to turn off the life support.

Wholeheartedly seconded. I quit the day the NGE was patched. It was an unique game up to that day and they fucked it up badly.

Archived