World of Darkness: The Darkness of Space - [Darkness of Space] At Leisure 2c

LydaLynn

In two days the base Dedication Ceremony will be taking place. For a few of the residents of the Moon Base, the hustle and bustle around them doesn't affect their lives. These few have nothing to do but take their leisure. While not all of the base recreation facilities are open, there is always something to be doing.

He looked over his schedule and called in his assistant...could this be?, he thought to himself. There were open slots and this thing people called "free time". Looking around and not seeing his assistant, he tapped his foot. About a minute later he once again called out for Tobias and continued to wait for his assistant to respond to his summons. After two more minutes he stood and walked out of his lab to the office area where he expected his assistant to be, he glanced down at his watch to insure that he had not lost track of time and was in the lab alone. A hand on the one and another on the eight indicated that he had missed lunch but it was still the middle of the work day. The doors opened and looking over to his left he saw his assistant and laughed to himself...why would Tobias still be his assistant after over one thousand years of sleep.

Registering the door opening the assistant looked up and greeted Dr. Long, asking in a calm voice, "Is there anything that I can help you with, Dr. Long?" Dr. Long gathered himself quickly and replied, "Yes, I have been calling you for the last few minutes. I am a little curious of the open slots on my schedule." The assistant looked over to the intercom panel and tapped and inspected the lack of communication notice. "I do appologize, it would seem that I need to call IT and have them inspect either your or my panel, as it never notified me of your attempts to contact me. As for you schedule that is the full iternary of the stated company requirements that I received from headquarters." A slightly confused look crossed Dr. Long's face as he nodded his assistants reply. He was used to being pulled in serveral directions at once, in fact that had become his default mode. With a nod he backed back into his lab, "Very well, I guess I should get back to brainstorming some more projects as I have the extra time."

Normal he had a staff member prepare his meals but to today he decided to give him the day and eat with the people in the base. This would give him a chance to observe the social changes of 1,000 years of time passing.

For he stood out with mannerisms, terms, and most apparent his fashion.

As for his apparel, they are sign of his social class. He wears a Tan Suede Michael Kors Slacks with a Flame Orange-Red Helmut Lang Dress Shirt. The Pierre-Henri Mattout silk tie blends the slacks and shirt into one in both color and design, the matching Brimstone Red Cesare Paciotti Snakeskin Belt and Boots further blends the ensemble, both of with have gold accents. For the purpose of warmth is wears a full-length Helmut Lang Tan Leather Trench coat that seems to lick by reddish-orange flames and to show status in life a gold signet ring on his left hand set with a 2-carat ruby surrounded by a burst of topazes and a gold ruby eyed serpent headed cane.

When he arrives in the "food" dome he steps out of the path of traffic and just stands looks around reading the names of the various restaurants. It is clear to those observing that he is gaining his bearings and mapping the place in his head. With his eye on the place he will try first he beings to make his way there.

For Miu, the morning began with training. All of them did. Diligence in her training helped her find and hold her center, and doing this helped her deal with being surrounded by others.

She returned to her room and showered, cleaning away the funk that invariably built after two hours of physical exertion. Clean, dressed like most of the other middle class here, she emerged from her room, taking care to lock it behind herself, and head down to the cafeteria.

It was something she looked forward to after training. While few things would ever beat the taste of freshly killed and cooked meat, Those who prepared the food here at least made sure it was nutritious.

She stood looking around, checking the length of lines at the places she enjoyed eating, and noticed that she was not the only unmoving island amidst the sea of humanity. "Looks like someone else is undecided too."

He stopped and glanced left and right before taking long breath through his nose followed by a few staccato ones. He shudders a little and takes a few steps back as he reconsiders his choice for lunch.

He was not one to go with the masses but began checking which lines were the longest, hopefully indicating the quality of their food.

He should have brought cook with him, but what was done was done and he was not about to reverse his off day due to a ineffective choice made by him.

Miu slowly made her way to the man who was unmoving, after he took a step back. She smiled to him and nodded. "Most of the food is quite good, just certain ones are better than others. This seafood here is amazing, though if you're more a vegetarian, the place back across the way has very fresh vegetables."

She was interrupting his solitude yes, but since she didn't recognize him, he might appreciate a little friendly advice. The young Japanese woman's smile was sincere, warm and friendly, which for her was something she'd had to really work at.

He turned to her and smiled showing his almost too white teeth, though captivating there was also something feral about it. Looking directly into her eyes with his striking emerald green eyes, it seemed he looked deeper than just a physical look over. With a nod he responded, "Oh, did I stand out so...thank you for your assistance. This is still very new to me..."

He pauses and tilts his head as he thinks about his words.

Miu smiled back more than aware of his deeply penetrating gaze. "I haven't been here too long myself. That's one thing about this place though, if you aren't moving you do tend to stand out a good bit. Is there something in particular you're in the mood for? I've eaten at each of the places here at least once, so I might be able to reccomend something for you."

Click to reveal..

He smiled and glanced around this place was as busy as a bee's colony, everyone flitting from one place to the other. How all creatures were tied together at the core of behavior.

Once again he returned his gaze to Miu and the aura that surrounded her. She would notice that he paid attention to her body and in detail, however; not the look of a lustful man but more like a connoisseur that was enjoying a work of art as his eyes looked from defined muscle group to defined muscle group.

He replied to her offer, "You must work quite diligently and be blessed genetically for such a defined musculature and yet, still indulge in the pleasures of being a foodie." He pauses before he continues to speak, "I am not sure if still still of food still exists, I have had cook make it but I curious what changes have happened in the preparation of the the combo for the major populace. It was once called a whopper with cheese and angry sauce, onion rings, and a vanilla milkshake."

She cocked her head and raised an eyebrow, never having someone give her a compliment in quite so clinical terms. "I have a rigorous training regimen I do to keep myself focused yes, but more than that I enjoy it."

"As for the whopper with cheese, is that something like a hamburger? I'm familiar with hamburgers, but everything else you mentioned, I can't say I've had."

He smiled and held perfect posture as they continued their exchange, though he seemed to be relaxed at the same time. One would have noticed a deepening of his smile when she mentioned the word focus.

With a tone of amusement he replied, "Few place the connection of a fit body with focused mind. I know your offer was for food, but if you ever need or desire to work though forms with another. I would be most interested."

There was a pause and internal laugh slipped out and then he said, "Where are my manners I am Weneg Hatshepsut Long and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. As for the items...yes, the Whopper is a hamburger and it's name is an indication of it's size, the onion rings are the slices of onion that have been battered and then deep fried, and the milkshake is ice cream to which milk has been added and then blended to a consistency that can be drunk through a straw."

"That would be most welcome. My Sensei always stressed that the mind, body and spirit must all be kept fit to know true harmony."

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Weneg Hatshepsut Long. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Miu Koetsuji." The young Japanese woman's smile was quite genuine and she nodded to one of the restaraunts. "Frank's Grill has the best burgers here, and I think you might be able to get the rest of what you want there too. We can always go see at any rate, and go somewhere else if they don't."

"What do you say?"

He extends his hand to her and she would she the longer than normal and exquisitely manicured nails and with his smile he played with his pronounced canine teeth. Feral energy danced in his emerald eyes, he knew the wyld and was content with it.

With hand extended he replied, "I can completely identify with that statement for with me my sifu and father were one and the same. I remember him saying. " How can the spirit quest with a mind that can not comprehend, how can the mind grow in a shell that is dieing, how can the body develop when the spirit is asleep." Just one of the many things that he twisted my mind to understand and never be complacent."

He looked off as his mind recalled the stories for just a moment before he continued to speak, "As for the meal, I would be honored to dine with a member of the Hamaal. Duty is very high on my list of priorities."

She nodded, and led him into Frank's. "Duty is always important." The sentiment stirred her as well, but mostly because her duty was so ill-defined. She'd been sent here alone, barely supported, and told simply to wait, to experience.

She made her order and then nodded to Weneg, indicating he should order as well. The smells emanating from the place were spot-on for what burger joints through the ages smelled like, at least those that made their burgers fresh, and grilled to order.

He nodded back to her and then smiled to the clerk as he placed his order, scanning what he could see of the food preparation area and the looks of the cooks.

"So how long have you been on the station? It would seem that my mother thought this would be a nice place for me to make a new start and acclimate myself to the many changes over the years."

He twitches his nose as he takes in the aroma of the blood in the fresh meat sizzling on the grill.

I haven't been here that long. As to the nature of this place being good for a fresh start, I'd have to agree. There's no pretension here." She paid for the meals, since it wasn't particularly expensive fare and had been her idea.

"Once they received their trays with the food, she led him to one of the booths where other patrons were eating. "So from what you've said so far I take it you've been out of regular circulation for some time?" It was an innocently curious question, As Miu didn't seem too capable in the arts of guile and subterfuge.

He followed her to the booth and took a seat before he replied to her statement, "Encased in the silver cocoon of luna's light made solid, cast upon me as a strike to the heart of my mother from the venom of the serpents of the eternal night and this did hold for more than a thousand years but with time the clause that was entwined into curse did come to pass and again, I am with the world primordial. So I take it safe yo say that I was out of circulation for some time."

He accentuated his last statement with a toothy grin and then a cheshire smile. Tilting his head as he waited on a reply from his current companion.

"I see." She followed, somewhat slowly. His speech was archaic, even to her ears.

Just then her stomach growled, ruining any chance of looking philosophical or even like she understood at all.

"Pardon me."

Her cheeks flushed abit with embarrassment, her body had royally betrayed her, proving again she was not in control nearly as much as she wished to be. Or that she needed to start eating a larger breakfast.

He smiled as her body reminded them both of the original purpose of their interaction. Reaching to his plate he took his Whooper in both hands looked at it for a moments and then took a large bite out it, moaning in ecstasy that they had gotten the recipe correct. After he swallowed that bite and wiped the corners of his mouth he returned to the conversation.

"Nothing to pardon, your body was just speaking up to remind someone as long winded as I the original reason we both had come to this place."

After that first bite of the whooper he placed it down and tried out one of the onion rings. Pleased with its flavor he took the top bun off the whooper and placed several onion rings on the whooper. With the top bun replaced he took another bite and grinned deeply.

He looked over at her again, his emerald eyes looking deeply and a questioning look in his eyes. Much had changed he would have to get in contact with his mother after this meal and find out what the new protocols were amongst the Bastet.

He zoned back into the now when she spoke him, a slight blush swept through his mahogany complexion. With the smile of the cat that caught the canary he responded. "Yes, they did quite well and yours...does it meet your requirements?"

She nodded. "Yes it has." Most of her meal was now gone, and she took a long pull from her drink and relaxed. "I have liked this place since my first visit here."

She looked at him. "I take it you only recently arrived here at the Station?"

He nodded in agreement to her statement and replied, "Just a few weeks now, there was too much chaos at my dome so I rented some place here so I could get some work done and sleep through the night. How long have you been here and where did you come here from?" Taking a full slurp of his milkshake.

"I came when they first allowed civilians to come out here, my Sensei told me my place was here."

She shook her head. "Of course he didn't tell what I'd be doing here, so mostly I've tried to get to know the people of this place, and grow accustomed to these surroundings."

Central Dome

Prof. V sat at one of the many tables along the side of the Central Dome. Half of which is taken up by dozens of research, notes, and calculations from what seems to be several different projects. In addition to this two computers have data streaming across their screens faster than most beings can comprehend. At the moment Prof. v is apparently arguing with nothing emphasizing his words by waving his hand which is holding half a sub sandwich and occasionally hitting pedestrians who get to close.

"We need a way to reduce the power fluctuations or it won't be stable." "No," wave of the sandwich "doing that will reduce the power output to much." -contemplative pause- "What if we did this." Prof. V begins writing and sketching with his free hand a takes a bite of the sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...

He smiled as he took another slurp of his milkshake, and looked around at the people that she had just mentioned. His eyes taking in the multitude changes that had morphed his understanding of normality.

"I opted to for this assignment, the chance to work on an entire "planet" and not just in my constructed bio-domes. It seems that it made a millennium of sleep a small price to pay.

He nodded at her response and smiled swelling with pride on his proposed endeavor.

"So very true, that is why I have taken upon myself to direct the addition of several green spaces to this base. I hope to meld the natural and technology into a work of art or symbiotic "organization" depending on the perspective of the observer."

She smiled. "The two homes I remember were both in the mountains, with great evergreen forests in the first, and the second was mostly bamboo. The first had snow much of the year, the latter almost never did. I was largely alone in the forest at my first home, but the second, after my Awakening, I always had my sensei and my family nearby."

He nodded as he listened to her recalled the memories of her past and paused to calculate before he responded.

"The first would be a little difficult, even for me. Though if bonsais can be made into miniature and potted versions, I should be able to in time make a "gift" for you. However, the second is just my speed."

He pulls out a pad and starts looking over the blueprints.

She shook her head. "It isn't something you should trouble yourself over. Don't make any special efforts just for me. I'm sure you have more than enough to do with your other work and duties."

She suprised herself with this reaction, a little confused, by it all. With that she'd already seen though perhaps he could do as he said though, and this piqued her curiosity.

• 3 weeks later...

He smiles and laughs a little himself before he makes his attempt at humor, "Do not worry I make it a point to not trouble myself as there is a line of people waiting for the opportunity to bring it to me. I will insure to do my best to bring a balance to those urges that are so primal that are severed when in such a sterile environment. For in truth it will be being done for the both of us."

His fingers still gliding across the keyboard, making the modifications as he thought of them.

"It is no problem at all, however; if I wish to complete it in a timely manner I should be taking my leave. I have an office in the science bay, feel free to pay me a visit at your leisure."

With that he gives her a deep smile and turns to walk away while still typing in modifications.

Archived