World of Darkness: The Darkness of Space - [Darkness of Space] Dedication Ceremony Prep 2a

LydaLynn

Only two days until the Dedication Ceremony and there is more to do than hours in the day. Those who are working on getting the base ready for the official opening are busy organizing, completing tasks, finishing projects, and generally working hard.

"Try it now, Stevens." The disembodied voice from under the console was flat and slightly mechanical, but the man standing over the console grinned.

"No 'Stud' anymore? C'mon, baby, you're breaking my heart here," Stevens said, even as he flipped the switch on the audio system. To their mutual surprise, music began to play. "Alright, that's working! We are an awesome team. What's next?"

Tejah wiggled out from under the console - all too aware again, that she was being watched while she moved - and stood up, brushing off her clothing. She opened a channel to Mik's communicator and asked, "Sound system seems to be working correctly. What's next for us to work on?"

He pushed the com-link button on his collar device hearing her.

"Thank yea lass, I'd be hard ta find a worker as steady as yea. I just was sent some test'n data from the DR. here. Go open it, give it tha once over, and see what you ken find as tha problem. Then get yourself some rest lass, we to tha openin o' tha station happen'in soon enough, and need ta be lookin our best."

The com clicked off and mik smiled gently. She may not think she was worth much, but it tended to be those who did the best work, or showed the fiber of their person even more. He was glad to have her, but that tag along was starting to bother him, Mik may have to look into that soon.

It seemed that he would have to wait six months before he would have the solitude of his sanctum and this "air" was so draining on him.He had noticed the bustle and hustle of the people and the planters that had been laid aside as they moved lower on the priority list.

As such he put two and two together...he had the time, skills, and resources. This would be his new project.

He sent an email to his assistant informing him of the supplies he would need and headed to find the person that he would get the permits and blue prints so he could get to work. Yes, there were air filters but like distilled water that process worked "too" well for one as primal as he. Flora did multi-duty in the process and so "livened" the environment they found themselves.

Tejah was relieved to be able to dismiss Stevens, and the young man went off to find some other work. She found an isolated bench and tucked her legs up on it, relaxing into a cross-legged position with a sigh. Mik’s information soon came to her and she began to concentrate on it, trying to sort out the data. This wasn’t her strongest suite, but the first thing she’d learned at the base was that everyone did a little bit of everything. If you couldn’t do something, you learned how to do it. Once again, Tejah was thankful for this opportunity – even if she wasn’t sure how she’d come to be here. She was trying not to think about that. Flipping her pink ponytail back over her shoulder, she tried to focus on what she was reading, but her mind wasn’t cooperating.

Annoyed, she put the pad down and glanced up, blinking at the man before her. He was attractive and she felt that surge of panic. When she saw the graceful way he moved, she felt a little more panic. Cormic had moved like that, too, all lithe and sensual. Nervously, she dropped her eyes and focused on the datapad again.

He tilts his head as he notices the changes in her breathing and the flushing of her complexion. He looks behind himself and around for the source of the woman's reactions, it would seem in such isolation he was the only variable change in the environment. Her looking bad at the pad made numerous possible scenarios run though his mind, he opted for the one where he would speak and grasp control of the situation.

Humhh, Humhh he clears his throat and says,"Would you happen to be Ms. Ebadi? My assistant directed me to you as the contact individual to gain approval for the continued transformation of the proposed green spaces of this station." He pauses and has his signature smile on his face as he looks directly at her, ready to make eye contact when she once again lifts her head.

Some of Tejah’s nervousness eased when she realized this was a professional contact, not a personal. She met those brilliant green eyes, rising with a smile. Behind AVIS’s lenses, her eyes bled from a soft yellow to a green that matched Weneg’s. She turned to her forearm keyboard and typed and a moment later, her AVIS system announced, “I can help you. Please call me Tech Ebadi, or Tejah. What can I call you?”

Though she didn’t speak the words, her smile was still warm and open.

He took note of the technology that she had integrated with her body, it seemed that the dreams of the Sons and Adepts had become reality in the 1,000 years he slept. With smile he responded, "If my assistant calls or contacts you he will make reference of his correspondence coming on behalf of Dr. Long but you can call Weneg or the Weedman. He laughs at the little nickname that he had gotten while in the United States and the troubles it had caused. He reaches out and hands the portfolio to Tejah and he still smirks a little.

"Thank you, Weneg," she replied, taking the portfolio. She looked through it before nodding. "Alright, it looks pretty straight forward," she typed, meeting his eyes again. "There is a lot of work here. Where would you like to start?"

Her mind was aware that she had work to do for Mik, but she had plenty of time to help Weneg get started. Her desire to help was in part because she found him attractive, she knew, but she also wanted to do a good job here. If she stayed. Thrusting those thoughts away, she focused on the moment.

He looked around, noting keys elements of his surroundings and took a deep breath before he started to speak,

"As there are still a few months of work that need to be completed with my dome, I already have more than an ample supply of flora to be transplanted into the various holders along with adding a hydroponic aspect. Granted these plants would be higher maintenance than those generally used but their aesthetics, oxygen production, and air filtration properties are worth the extra effort. Appendix I is a list of the flora that I have ready and Appendix II are the ones I need to grow and the time lines of their maturation. Appendix III are the ones that I have genetically modified and wish approval of their use in this project."

He pauses to allow Tejah to reference the documents that he had mentioned and hopefully read her reaction, although those AVIS goggles exponentially increased the difficulty of that task.

Tejah nodded as she found and reviewed each appendix; it was very well organized and quite impressive. “I won't have to maintain them, so I'm not worried about their daily needs.” She flashed him a brilliant smile, pleased at her tiny joke. “Let me get a crew together to move the plants to the proper beds.” Walking over to the spot, Tejah began to take notes on her pad, making her instructions about where each plant was to be delivered and how it was to be handled. Wegen’s instructions were specific.

After a moment of silence, she realized that she was more or less ignoring this cute guy. Don't go there... but it wouldn't hurt to be nice, right? “Have you been here long?” she asked politely, the task of multitasking between speech and data entry easy after years of doing it.

Still not sure what about him had put her at edge, he keeps his distance as his eyes followed her actions and he nodded to when she spoke. It would seem for a moment that he was looking for something more and then he relaxed and just waiting on her next statement.

"No, not at all, it is going on three weeks now, my father advised me to remain on earth till the dome was completed but he acknowledged how particular I can be and it would be prudent and efficient if I were here to oversee the completion of the project. It would seem that the project director is quite competent and thus I was twiddling my thumbs until I noticed this endeavor that I could put my skills to use at."

He plays with his thumbs for emphasis and smiles like a kid in a candy store.

[[Tejah is aware of some other domes being built a ways away from the base complex for various corporate company interests. Only one is that close to completion - the Matrix Biotech Inc. dome.]]

Tejah returned that smile with a more subdued one and almost made a joke about his thumbs, but she thought better of it. Instead, she typed, “Isn’t it a shame when people are too competent? Makes it hard for you to oversee them when they don’t need oversight.” Her smile was a little playful – until she remembered what she was doing and made a slightly bashful face.

“So botany is your field of expertise?” Her expression had returned to one of polite interest, though there was a flush of color to her cheeks that hinted she was a touch frazzled now. Her fingers continued their mad typing – between inputting the work order and the conversation, they had a lot to do!

Weneg in turn returned her smile as he listened to her statements. Nodding in agreement to her joke about how freeing this experience could be. She notice he was still playing astute attention to her keying but polite enough to not lose eye contact with her.

So very true, what is this world coming to?

Yes, I play around with several concepts that fall under the umbrella of Botany. May I ask what your field of expertise would be?

Seeming to concentrate on her eyes and face as he waited on the response.

"Hey kid, you really shouldn't be up here." The technician said as he came up to the gantries in the upper part of the hydroponics dome and saw a boy in a blue cloak sitting with his legs dangling off into space, reading something that looked like a for-real, made-of-paper-and-bound book like rich guys were supposed to collect. Most people used OLED flimsies or datapads these days.

"That's a point of view, certainly." the kid said without looking around as he turned a page carefully. "On the other hand, it could be argued that if I truly wasn't supposed to be here, I would not be. Thus the logical flaw in your argument is built around the word 'supposed', which as you have used it is factually correct - you might indeed suppose, that is to say assume, that I cannot be here, and yet here I am."

"What?" the technician had the artificial rain system to calibrate and really didn't have the patience for this. "Kid, you shouldn't be here. As in, it's against the rules, existentialism be damned."

Grimm looked around at the older man somberly and nodded.

"I understand that. But it's quiet and filled with the scent of growing things, if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don’t apply to you, and I need to study. I promise, I shall be no bother." The technician opened his mouth to argue, then shut it again.

"Fine, but I didn't see you if you fall off and break your neck." He moved to the end of the gantry and popped off the panel, pulling diagnostic tools from his belt.

"Thank you. And don't worry: I won't be dying here, Kellen." Grimm went back to his book, young brow furrowing as he concentrated on the runic script. The technician looked at him askance, to which the boy simply said "It's on your overalls." without looking up.

"Oh, right." Kellen nodded. Beeping sounds faintly broke the silence as he worked, then set the handcomp to running it's program and leaned against the rail, waiting. For want of something better to do, he looked at the boy again. "So what're you studying?"

"Something for Commander Hawke." Grimm said as he finished scanning the page, sighed faintly at not finding what he was looking for, and turned it. Kellen blinked.

"Wait, you're the kid that was helping out at the triage in the hangar bay. A buddy of mine is an EMT and spoke to you. You're a mage, right? Uh... Grin?"

"Grimm." he corrected with a small smile, still not looking up. "And yes, I was there."

"Whoa." Kellen folded his arms and looked at the skinny kid with his legs kicking idly over a hundred foot drop. "I thought mages were, like... older."

"Most are." Grimm agreed equably as he ran a scarred finger down the page.

"So what're you researching?"

"The usual sort of thing." Grimm turned his mismatched gaze on Kellen, the thin face calm. "Something old, evil and needing to be stopped."

"Sounds like my mother in law." Kellen chuckled nervously. The beep of the handcomp saved him from further enduring that blue/grey stare and he unplugged and packed up. "Well... take care."

"You too. Thank you for the company." Grimm said politely as the technician went to the ladder that led to the next leve down. "Watch out for the third rung. It's slick." Kellen blinked and looked down: condensation and time had built up some thin moss on the ladder's top.

"Crap. These are supposed to be treated to stop that." he shuddered at the near accident and looked respectfully over at Grimm. "Thanks. I guess mages know these things just because, huh?"

"Something like that." Grimm agreed as he bent over his book. "Take care, Kellen." As he heard the tech descending Grimm supressed a smile. Of course, he knew the fact of the moss simply because he'd nearly slipped on it whilst coming up here. But a little awe and mystery were as much part of magecraft as real weavery. Humming under his breath, he went back to studying ancient evils.

It wasn't until Kellen got back to the changing rooms at the end of his shift and saw his coverall hanging there that he realised that he'd accidently grabbed someone else's...

“Engineering,” Tejah replied, without missing a beat. This was a question she’d been asked many times, and was usually followed by disbelief. She was deaf, had naturally pink hair and didn’t look like an engineer. “It was structural, but the first thing you learn here is that everyone does a bit of something. I know engineering is a really broad category, but that’s as narrow as I can make it right now.”

She typed in the final note and gave him a smile. “A work crew is on the way. They’ll bring the dirt and supplies you need… the plants will be delivered shortly, and I’ve filled out all the paperwork, not that there’s that much. This was something that was supposed to be done, just not accomplished yet.” She smiled. “Do you need anything else?”

The soft patter of bare feet would be almost impossible to hear elsewhere on the base, but in this quiet, unfinished area the sound is out of place. At only three feet and two inches the being entering is something of an unusual sight. It's dark brown fur is slick and lightens on it's muzzle and feet and hands. Large bright green eyes peer curiously around the room. Every so often one of its small paw-like hands check the crude pouches on the braided organic belt at its waist. The same belt, which looks to be made of some kind of plant vines, holds a leather loin cloth.

Looking up at the scaffolding, the being decides it looks interesting and begins to climb it.

He nodded as she informed he what had been done and how things would pan out, and shook his head in the response of needing anything else.

"No, that would be it all. I thank you for your help and hospitality. I should take my leave and meet with the crew I would not want to leave them waiting."

"It was nice to meet you," Tejah said to Weneg, giving him a nod. "I'll see you around the base, then?"

She was a little sorry to see their encounter ending. He was attractive in a very exotic way. But he was also an attractive man who appeared to be a bit more than mortal. That made her a little glad to see him going.

Swaggering through base Wesely wanders, seemingly enjoying the sights and sounds of a new installation. His finery and adornments jingle as he goes, somehow it seems like a breeze is always with him, he stops at the scaffolding as he spots the odd creature, he pauses to wonder if the creature is exploring or will be working.

With his signature smile and a deep bow to Tejah, his emerald eyes looking directly into hers as he rises.

"Yes, I am certain of that...after all you are who I will be sending my status reports to."

He turns and takes his leave, looking back after about five steps...

"Plus, an artist must always stay in contact with a muse such as thee."

With that said he continues to walk away with that gait that was so graceful...in a feral way.

Tejah stared after him, too flummoxed to even reply to that last line. Was that flirting? That sounded like flirting to me. Is it something Cormic would have said?

No, he was never that poetic.

But is it in the spirit of something he would have said? Tejah bit her lip nervously. She didn't know. Seducing her had been stupidly easy for Cormic and it hadn't left her with the tools to prevent it again. Oh, she had a basic idea but the subtlities of seduction were lost on her.

Just avoid Weneg in anything other than a professional setting, and you'll be fine, she assured herself and went back to the work Mik had assigned to her.

He looked at the pots that were already in place and which ones would have to be moved to align themselves for his proposed feng shui of this place. With the pad in hand he looks at the grid he had formatted so that the crew would know what went where, some would say he should stop walking while he was doing this but when watched one would noticed that he seemed he was fully aware of where he was going an this multi-tasking had been almost perfected. Though in time he planned to actually study the sphere to make it perfect...

Sending an email to his assistant, he informed him of the materials he would need to modify the plants and evolve the soil. Finally standing still so the crew would take note of him when they arrived.

The small creature had just noticed the somber child sitting in on the scaffolding when the beautiful man entered. Completely entranced, the small, furry being hurried over to Wesley, it's paw-like hands petting at him. It spoke in a language he didn't understand. *"Graweee!"

Click to reveal.. (Incarnum)
*Pretty!

He put on a polite smile for the creature, he had been used to this sort of thing happening and one must keep up appearances. "Hello, I'm sure you're not understanding but they call me Wesely." He points at himself and enuncates his name.

Smiling it pulls a small shell out of a pouch at it's waist. Handing it to you, the furry being smiles. The shell itself is faintly luminescent with a slight green hue. Then you realize it's just a bit too flat and there is no place where it would have connected to the other half of the clam shell. No, it isn't a small shell, it's a rather large scale.

Beaming with pride, *"Wth'tae'yn"

*A proper name.

He marvels at the scale before smiling at the creature, "this is quite nice, is With tin your name?" He points at the creature and holds out the scale, "or this?" Wesely always enjoyed meeting new species, breaching the language barrier was even more fun. "Can I keep this?" He points to the shell and from the shell to a satchel at his thigh.

About the only thing the small furry being seems to understand is if Wesely can keep the scale. It's small hands cover his and it pushes his hand towards his pouch. *"Saln, Saln!"

*Keep, Keep

Wesely smiles, "thankyou," he slides it into his pouch and russels around and pulls out a small ivory whistle. He places it to his lips and plays a small tune and hands it to the creature, "here, enjoy."

Smiling, the small being takes the whistle and blows once for each fingering option, then plays a jaunty little tune with only one misplaced note. Another smile and it holds up the whistle, nods, puts it in a pouch and turns to wander off.

At least that was his plan but the blood of his mother stirred in him and he began to wonder off are he followed the blueprints to collaborate the data on the sheets and what he actually saw when he arrived at the locations.

Still, he should not be very far away from where they were told to meet him as he took in depth details over location he came upon...from testing the moisture in the air, to the temperature, to the type and intensity of light...

Archived