X-Men: First Class

The reviews are really, really good. I read one that said, '(X-men: First Class) will give Dark Knight a run for its money as the best super hero movie film ever.'

That sounds ambitious, and in my mind, I have trouble comparing the two side by side...but that one line makes me eager to see it.

From what I've heard, it'll be a good 'mutants' movie, and even a good 'X-Men' movie so long as you're not expecting it to have anything whatsoever to do with the comic source material.

View it as standalone film = good movie

Desire any continuity at all = complete flop

Again, that's just what I've heard. I've already got our tickets for my wife and I to see it on Saturday.

I just got back from seeing X-Men First Class. I really enjoyed it. While far from a perfect movie, this is what I want out of a prequel.

I think they did a good job on the relationship between Charles and Erik. There were some cheesy part to it but for some reason the time period and characters made the cheese acceptable to me. What do you expect when you watch a movie that has Banshee as an X-Man.

Some of the supporting characters felt like just plot points. The B villains were as interesting as those in the first X-Men movie.

I liked Mystique a lot. Emma Frost was a little too Betty Draper for my liking.

I would prefer to see a sequel to this movie than another modern X-men movie.

I liked it an awful lot. This film returns to me the goodwill I had towards X-films that both Wolverine and Last Stand took away.

This movie does far more right than it does wrong in terms of character-relationships and telling the story of these people so early in their lives. It has a few hiccups, but I can forgive them.

To the best of my knowledge, this wasn't a part of any 'official' timeline (be it the movies or the comics). If I was mistaken, so be it, but I don't know that I would call this movie a 'prequel'.

That said, I would like to see both the promised (from the after credits on last stand) Onslaught/Dark Xavier as well as more formation, i.e. XMen 2nd class (or some such).

Initially, I put it ahead of X-Men 2, but after a couple of days of reflection, I'll have to say it's a tie. I think X-Men 2 is one of the best superhero films of all time, so that's very high praise.

The good is very, very good. Everyone turns in fantastic performances, with the exception of Emma Frost's actress - and even she isn't bad, so much as rather shallow, which actually fits Emma Frost just fine. The scene where

Click to reveal..
a young Erik destroys a room with ferrokinesis and Sebastian Shaw does nothing more than just marvel at his power
is a standout, as is the preceding shot-by-shot recreation of a key scene from the original X-Men. Most importantly, the formation of the X-Men in response to a real-world crisis that was potentially world-ending is a fitting debut for a superhero team - and it underscores that at its heart, Xavier's undertaking is born out of a sense of pacifism. Xavier doesn't look for fights, he looks for fights to stop. In that context, it's perfect how
Click to reveal..
Xavier is paralyzed as a byproduct of violence between humans (Moira) and mutants (Magneto.)

Magneto's character arc hews perfectly to my interpretation of the character - a tragic villain, but still a villain.

Click to reveal..
Magneto is a man who lived through one genocide, is convinced that another one is coming, and will do everything in his power to prevent it - but in so doing, he becomes the person he hates the most, taking a hard-line "it's us or them" approach to life. He embraces Shaw's doctrine and recruits his associates for the same reasons Shaw had. He wears Shaw's helmet. He tortured Shaw the same way Shaw tortured him. He becomes a testament to the futility of hatred.
I don't see how they could have done better with him.

I only wish they'd lent as much thought to Xavier's side of the argument, because Xavier - and the students that he has - don't make much of an effort. By the end,

Click to reveal..
two of Xavier's students have left to join Magneto's team, and Xavier's team crawls off to lick its wounds. I get the feeling that the final scene could have been improved by a speech from the transformed Hank McCoy - now more like Mystique than Mystique, because at least Mystique has the option to look normal - as to why he is staying with Xavier and believes in his dream. Something, I don't know, like "I know what it's like, now, to be like you. But by going with Magneto, by doing what he wants, all you're doing is proving every terrible thing they've said about you. I want a different future than just human killing mutant, mutant killing human... people killing people. I want an end to war. And any time Professor X wants me to, I'll work like hell for that."

I also have to shake my head a little at just how

Click to reveal..
white-guy centric the X-Men wind up becoming. By the end, all the minorities and women have either quit to join Team Magneto or been killed. I know this movie is set in the 1960s, but it's in theatres in the year 2011. Please get better about this in the next film, Marvel/FOX/Matthew Vaughn.

And the scene everyone is talking about but won't spoil? Is every bit as funny as you've been told.

• 1 year later...

Archived