Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 10.5 Filling Up The Gap (Fin)

Columbian

Frankly, there was more than one reason Francis was here, helping Ruri with plotting out the new communications grid that needed to be set up for the planet. With the mass murder of Takashi and the wholesale devastation wreaked on the planet by sheer war, there was barely any infrastructure or people who normally ran it around.

If the rebuilding efforts were to get any good traction going, then they needed to have more set up than the Satoshi fleet channels to coordinate their work.

Aside from doing something to help out, Francis was a tech expert and highly intelligent, despite the initial barrier from the fact that Dalaaran computers were organic rather than silicon-based. He was well set to help reduce the pressure on Ruri, straight out from the new body setup.

Finally, he needed something to take his mind off the agony. The psychological pain from Takashi's damn Bankai, and the worry of the secrets that lurked back in his future. A distraction did nicely.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kai was in the hangar, signing off on the finished reconstruction of the Meteor. Nothing really took long, not with the fabricators. Besides, much of it's removed parts were recovered by the mecha teams. He smiled and looked up at the machine.

"The E-Shadow is gone, the Superior is gone, the Freedom is gone, The Impulse, the Verde Buster, the Blu Duel, all of the officer Gundams, they're gone now.. You're the last true Gundam, and in truth, you come to me third hand."

The big machine's eyes lit up for a second, and Kai nodded. Without turning around, he spoke. "Yes Francis, is there something I can do for you?"

Francis smiled faintly, looking over the newly rebuilt mecha with the eyes of an appreciative techie. "So this thing's back in gear... As for your question Kai? I'd like to get in, same with you. Ruri and I need to set up the comm grid planetside, and the Meteor is what we need to connect everything at once."

"So I see. Well you wouldn't be here if the grid wasn't ready to go." He smiled. "Come on then."

He led Francis to a lift, one that took them up to the cockpit of the gundam. Kai took the main seat, and there was a second behind him and slightly raised.

"Francis take the second seat, and place your hands in the holes. Will your suilt to connect to the gundam and we can get this started."

Francis had never felt power like this before it suffused his entire body, and he thought it might overload his suit.

"Relax, You're new, the Meteor has to test your limits a little." He could Feel power radiating from Kai and in a flash, the mecha was synchronized with the two pilots. "Alright first test. I have the mecha ready to move out. Now reach out and command the bay doors to open."

((Computers/technology check)

Francis was amazed for a long moment. "This thing feels alive. More than anything I've ever seen for a mechanical weapon of war. Let's see." Focusing through the controls, it was hard at first to adjust to the input and unfamiliar data, but the doors were opened nonetheless.

Click to reveal..
Computers roll

Evo *rolls* 2d6: 1+2+11: 14

Long says it works.

"Head for the capital, here." Francis explained, inputting a set of specific coordinates for the location of the boot-up system terminal where they would initiate the grid planetside. As they shot downward through space, Francis reflected that the view was good, but only going to get worse as they dropped in altitude. "We're going jump-start the system there, amplified by the Meteor to get it going."

Kai was a soft touch at the controls of the Meteor and the mecha moved effortlessly to the coordinates.

"So Francis, what do you think of all of this? My people did this to this world. No matter the work we're doing, still forces in Satoshi colors brought war to this world, and nearly ended a milennia old society."

"Don't blame yourself for what Takashi and Hizashi did. They're not Satoshi. Satoshi is the corporation that has protected Earth and its allies as I understand it, and we saved the Empire. We're Satoshi. Protecting and aiding, not dividing and destroying wantonly. Besides, if they had won, it'd be far worse. Let's focus on getting them back together shall we?"

Kai nodded. "I know that Francis, but it doesn't make this any eaiser." He maneuvered the gundam into position and nodded. The lines of light began to glow on his skin. "I have opened the amplification system." On the gundam, panels opened, revealing sections of a golden metal that looked similar to solar collectors.

"We are online, you have control Francis, Start it up."

(3 checks again DC 12, 15, and 18)

Francis focused his mind and began starting it up. At first he managed the flow of power, but as it hit its peak, he began to falter... Then he gritted his teeth and finished the procedure.

Click to reveal..
Computer rolls, DC 12, 15, 18

Evo *rolls* 2d6: 3+1+11: 15

Evo *rolls* 2d6: 6+4+11: 21

Evo *rolls* 2d6: 2+3+11: 16

[Long6] 4:39 pm: can retry at +2

difficulty

Evo *rolls* 2d6: 5+4+11: 20

All passed now. smile

As the Data from a hundred nodes on planet began to stream into the cockpit, Kai nodded. "Sattelite system engaging." The points of light on the hologram globe shone red, as three dozen blue orbs winked int existence, as they stopped for a moment as they all confirmed their existence.

"Grid online. Send the test packet."

Francis winced as he heard those words, as a sudden flicker of thought from the conversation brought him back to the fight with Takashi... phantom pains, but they hurt well enough now. "I can deal with that," his voice suddenly cold and full of hurt, "seeing as it well beats the cells in your body dying from the inside out."

"Yes, I know." He knew Takashi's attack intimately. He felt it each time Valerie had been hit with it. She was in a coma now, healed and whole, but nothing he did would wake her.

Looking down at Dalaraan, he nodded. "It looks so peaceful from up here."

"Before Lily came Francis, Satoshi and the Empire were enemies. I have been made privy to what was planned should this day ever come, and it shames and humbles me, what we humans thought to unleash."

"Now here we are, we have retaken this planet, FOR the Empire, as saviours, not execuitioners. Some part of me feels the countless dead from both sides both railing against this truth, and laughing at the cosmic irony of it all."

"The Empire stands because of Satoshi's strength, and that of two dallaraan purebloods, who refused to abandon their faith."

"I can't do anything about in Francis. I can't make them believe in their Patron Deity, no more than I can make anyone else."

The meteor proved very unresponsive to Francis's attempts at control, until Kai himself maneuvered the mecha back towards the Macross.

The trip back was short and Ruri was there when the two of them dismounted.

"Nothing much honestly. With the grid online, I can control all our autonomous drones from the Chapel." Ruri looked over at Kai. "I trust Meteor gave you no issues."

"None at all, flies like a dream, even activated without a hitch."

"Good, I have our fabricators going non-stop, recycling the rubble from the surface. I have a team going over everything, making sure that nothing important gets thrown in."

Francis grinned simply and nodded to Kai and Ruri in turn. "Well, if you don't need me right now, I'm going to keep myself sharp." It was completely clear he meant training, as he'd been seen quite often in the room since the liberation. It felt entirely justified to Francis as he left... for one could lose their edge through inactivity.

Also, though he did not care to admit the fact, he wanted Bankai, or some other way of truly getting stronger. Part of why Hizashi and Takashi had nearly won, how Ayato had survived to bedevil Tsunami, was because the group hadn't been powerful enough. Francis felt he needed the boost.

Finally, he reached the room, and sighed with relief as he found the simulator. Time to exorcise a demon of recent events. "Takashi, Shikai level."

Surprised by this tactic, Francis took a shooting stance and opened fire upon the Takashi image with gritted teeth and rapid speed.

Click to reveal..
Attack rolls

Jeremy *rolls* 2d6: 6+6+19: 31

Jeremy *rolls* 2d6: 2+4+19: 25

Jeremy *rolls* 2d6: 2+3+19: 24

Jeremy *rolls* 2d6: 6+5+19: 30

Damage: 176 (Penetrating 2)

Defense rolls

Jeremy *rolls* 2d6: 4+6+19: 29

Jeremy *rolls* 2d6: 2+2+19: 23

Jeremy *rolls* 2d6: 6+4+19: 29

Jeremy *rolls* 2d6: 4+3+19: 26

His first and last shots got through, but they didnt' seem to faze him at all. "DRAGON TWISTER!"

The massive attack shot forth from the tip of takashi's sword, striking Francis squarely, ripping at his skin and armor, and blowing him high into the air, spinning like a top. The G-forces were incredible, threatening to make him lose his lunch

(350 damage)

Francis' gut reacted severely, but he held his food inside where it belonged and managed to port out of the twister with what damage he had taken. Who was he kidding- he'd not be able to handle Takashi alone even in the sim rooms. "Computer, stop." He commanded, before leaning forward and trying to catch his freaking breath while the nano-bots restored him yet again. As they had done dozens of times before.

He didn't get it. Everyone else it seemed, Kai, the missing Kazuo, Skye, Lily, Sakura... what did they have that he didn't? Not all had Bankai, but their power seemed to be well above anything he or his devices could ultimately meet. Lily had her bloodline connection to Tsunami, clearly an extremely powerful entity (Francis could not say goddess as others did), but in general, everyone relied on paranormal powers.

He had been researching and found about spells, about the 'soul' aspect of Bankai, but it made no sense. Francis just couldn't believe in it. Still, he understood that somewhere down the line, the mental psychology of the wielder influenced the development and nature of Bankai...

Jungian psychology held some interesting concepts that might be applicable in this situation. Francis sat down and folded up his legs while he took some deep breaths and tried to puzzle this out. Perhaps Bankai was a powered manifestation of the Jungian Self archetype or by accepting the Shadow Archetype?

Francis decided to close his eyes, and considered his life, of what remembered back into the future, and everything that had passed since landing in a heap in Earth Prime's Tokyo.

For Francis, it was a collage of battles, and picking up the pieces afterwards. There was no suol to any of it, though the battle with Takashi made him pause. The conviction both Takashi and Kai displayed was more. Takashi, in his unslakable thirst for power, Kai in his unwavering faith in his friends, bouth fought beyond the level of any opponent he'd ever seen.

They moved as one with their weapon, and he could feel a part of himself resonate not with them, but with the battle itself.

Francis unconsciously rubbed his closed eyes as he tried to make sense of the sudden 'connection' he was feeling. There was no chance of that, as he had absolutely no frame of reference for such a feeling. So many of these he barely understood other than feeling them. Still, he supposed there was something about the battle of recent time that had to explain the exception.

The idea of the battle as a whole being a symbol for him concerned Francis, for much of the nature of his prior duties when serving as a Homeline agent had required the avoidance of combat altogether. And yet more and more his training in all those fields seemed to be irrelevant.

And yet the battle... there was an undeniable potency in Kai and Takashi, how the two seemed opposites of each other, Kai loyal, protective and fair- Takashi crazy, ruthless and power-mad. And yet, their similarities were compelling here, skill and determination unlike anything.

Francis found himself straining to observe the whole battle, Kai vs. Takashi in detail, then considering his own will to force through the pain of Sounga to stop Takashi's advance. Using hindsight and memory to analyze... everything.

There was one brief moment replaying the battle, an instant that he'd witnessed and hadn't even realized.

The two Captains stood apart, in the exact same stance, upon their brows the infinity symbol blazing with impossible light, and the same look of grim determination. They were each a mirror for the other. One what could be, the other what could have been.

His own will was strong, but he remembered the pain from the attacks, and shuddered. Kai had never been hit, except by the massive Kido spell Takashi had hit him with.

The spell was performed quickly, but it was easily stronger than any attack Francis could make. Kidou used the Mana within oneself to create an effect in the world, it was something many of his allies could do, yet he could not.

That fact, that Kidou and all the powers therein were used, rankled Francis, because he didn't understand. There was no terms other than the mystical or otherwise that everyone, even Ruri and co had no issue using. But it didn't make sense. Could there really be magic or a 'soul' in science's world?

But... science was made of theories and hypotheses. And even the accepted principles of the universe, of physics and biology didn't explain everything, and could be overturned. Science isn't explaining these, is it?

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” A memory of a line from a childhood history and literature class. And he had seen Kai's Gigaslave. It had happened. It wasn't impossible, therefore.

Then... magic seemed improbable, but... maybe the problem wasn't one of impossibility. I don't understand, that's the problem. But therefore if there is some truth to magic, then I have to learn it, if I can.

That realization was the first step, and deep within he heard a whisper, "That is the first step, to KNOW you do not KNOW. Seek out Captain Tanaka, he can help you."

The feminine voice, for that was what it was looking back on it, fell to slience, leaving Francis to do as he would.

Francis' eyes shot open, as the words sunk in. He wasn't sure what to make of it, but if nothing else.... it was clear he'd done something right. And slowly his mouth quirked a little bit, more and more, until he was smiling. "Thanks for the advice," he whispered, as if the source of the female voice could hear him.

With a new sureness, he got up and brushed himself off. Time to see if Eiji was available, for he'd been off separately from the group. Pressures of command, apparently.

Captain Tanaka was planetside, overseeing operations at The Dalaraan Industrial sector. It had been a brutal battle against a large amount of drone mecha, and at least sixty Hiroga. Casualties were suprisingly light for satoshi, but roughly 40% of the complex had been ruined in the battle.

He stood in his command post attop the primary complex, a pair of Valkyrie Mecha on guard duty, and another half dozen armored troopers nearby.

Francis had to identify himself to the troopers, who were running security as usual, which was to say, tight. But the whole process was entirely minor and quick. When they let him through, Francis teleported up to the command post.

"Need help down there?"

"Yes," Francis admitted, "but it would have been only fair to lend a hand to you in exchange, since you're here." He chose to lower his voice as so to suggest that this was a private chat. "I'm not sure if this is the best place to discuss Bankai however."

Eiji chuckled. "Ahh, I was wondering when some of you would seek me out. Come walk with me." He nodded to his subordinates and they went about their duties. For Eiji, he leaped over to the next building. and waited for Francis to follow.

He could see Eiji ad already drawn his sword.

Francis tapped a control, and he appeared next to Eiji and nodded with a moment of gratitude. "Before anything else, I should thank you for making some time. It was the voice inside that told me to seek you out, thank her... it was a female's voice you see."

Archived