Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 10.5.11: Resynchronization.

Rebecca Baines

Rebecca looks up. "I would be happy to assist!" She says with a smile. Maybe there might be time for a little sparring before she returns planet-side. There's nothing more fun than seeing what sort of maneuvers a new armor configuration can accomplish. And maybe I can be your wing-man or even a sparring partner before taking my delivery down tomorrow?"

Kai nodded. "My thoughts exactly."

He remainder of the afternoon was spent putting the Meteor back together, leaving all three of them covered in grease and grime, and for the two older women, an insight into the Young Head Captain. Few pilots worked on their mecha.

It was obvious there was a sense of awe from Kai towards his, not for its power, but for the fact it was actually real.

"Six months ago, machines like this were something I'd have told you didn't exist."

"Kai, I dreamed of piloting one of these. I knew if the technology was possible, a new age for humanity could dawn. A way to protect all life..." She looks over the Meteor in part reverance, part respect. "Your mecha suits you, Kai."

She straightens out her work suit, and hides behind some nearby crates to switch back into her flight suit. "What is your view towards Artificial Intelligences? I think the SeaTalon has picked one up from the other universe... it seems harmless enough and has actually helped me."

"They're a good idea. Ruri introduced me to Omoikane and Dana, the AI's for the Nadesico and Archangel. The Meteor has one as well, though she's yet to Identify herself."

He nodded. "Alright, let's get cleaned up and then we can Sortie."

Rebecca decides she'd better get cleaned up as well. A shower sounded good, and maybe a quick sandwich from the mess hall before meeting up with Kai. Might be eating on the way to the hangars, but it'll be worth it. Before she steps out, her sister stops her.

"Rebecca..."

Rebecca turns around. "Yeah? What's on your mind."

"Just... Just be careful. Alright?"

Rebecca quietly nods. "Trust me, careful is foremost on my mind." She says, mussing up her former little sister's hair. "Just don't start getting like a worrywart too."

Kirumi smiles. "I won't."

Rebecca steps out, and rushes to the showers.

The two both shower and change, and arrive in the hangar at the same time. Both mount up in their machines, noting the training equipment is already mounted and turned on. "Field Inhibitors, they'll keep us from doing any real damage to each other."

"Excellent." Osprey says, activating the AMS system, and calibrating the FRS tuning for the best output for the weapon suite.

"It's been a while since I've went up against someone and not worry about them killing me."

She starts up the zero-point generator and the main thrusters hum to life. For a strangely marked armor configuration, the SeaTalon looked like serious business when armed.

"Ready when you are."

Osprey moved the throttle foreward and leaned into the motion, the SeaTalon's hair fans out slightly as it hovers above the launch gantry. It then activates it's overedboost and shoots off behind the Meteor, leaving behind a greenish blue streak. "The question isn't how good I am, but how good of a student I am."

She goes over her weapon loadout. "Luckily our melee weapons are offline, I doubt the little lady could handle your fighting style."

The SeaTalon readies her rifles and the armor sections on the shoulder reveal the missile systems. The system-tag unit comes online, safety locking her weapons.

"Field Suppressors and Safety Locks all green. Reaching zero pressure in cockpit and set for combat. Commencing battle maneuvers."

Click to reveal.. (INITIATIVE)
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 3+4+22: 29

Click to reveal.. (DEFENSE ROLLS)
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 4+5+20: 29
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 4+5+20: 29
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 5+4+20: 29

"Well, starting conservative..." She says, and carefully pumps the controls on her side thrusters, dashing at the best output of the thrusters and clears the rifle shots easily.

"Target acquired, commencing hostilities." Osprey states in a calm tone, as the tactical system comes online. She unloads with her tachyon, and rail rifles, following up with missiles for an alpha strike.

Click to reveal.. (ATTACK)
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 3+4+20: 27
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 1+4+20: 25
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 6+6+20: 32

the tachyon Rifle managed to tag the Meteor's left foot, making Kai grunt as the computer simulated the tug at losing a thruster there, He juked hard to throw off the Railgun shot, but he overcompensated, and the missile storm blasted all over the Meteor.

He realized just how much Melee was his area of expertise, and sighed. "Big gun it is."

He Selected the gun, and the barrel split open, and the Meteor's main gun armed. A Hellish wash of golden fire reach out for Seatalon, perhaps the most powerful energy attack she'd ever seen.

Click to reveal.. (DEFENSE)
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 5+2+20: 27
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 2+1+20: 23
Osprey *rolls* 2d6: 2+3+20: 25
Click to reveal.. (STATUS)
Mecha HP: 520
Pilot HP: 500
Pilot EP: 330

"Damn!" Osprey shouts, as she's blinded from her own attack for a moment before she is struck back with Kai's attack. She falls back with her thrusters. "Gotta remember to keep my blast visor down." She says, slamming the blast visor down on her helmet. "Okay, time to answer that."

Osprey retorts with another Alpha Strike, if the first salvo worked, the second will find similar dividends. This time she focusses on her target and leads the shots.

Click to reveal.. (ATTACK)
Using Ultimate Bullseye
Pilot EP: 250

the attacks struck the Meteor solidly, but it wasn't down yet, still, Kai lowered the buster rifle. "Okay, I can see where this is going. I really need to work on my ranged combat piloting. I rely too much on my melee skills."

He nodded and smiled, "you win this round."

Osprey stops her movement, hanging in space. "I noticed. Your reaction time is off by 0.1 milliseconds. What sort of man machine interface are you using?"

As she says this, there is a flash of emotion that runs through her. She freezes in the cockpit, staring at Kai, then see sees him... the face of the captain who killed himself no more than a few days ago right in front of her.

"I'm sorry.... so sorry... why..."

"No! Don't do it! It's not worth it!" Rebecca shouts over coms, holding out her hand as her mecha follows suit. "Killing yourself isn't the way!"

Tears begin to fall from her eyes. "This killing... this inhumanity... it's wrong!"

Everything that she wished she could have said to save that man pours out. "Why... dammit why..."

Kai moved in, the Meteor moving at a speed most seldom saw, and tried something really foolish.

He activated the synchronization system, taking control from Rebecca, but also linking her to him. "Calm down. You've already won, the dead are dead, and cannot affect the living. He took the path he felt was his, no matter how much we disagree, it cannot be undone."

"Hnngh..." Rebecca grunts, forced out of the AMS enhanced flashback. She slumps back for a moment and takes a few deep breaths. Blood trickles from her nose.

"T... Thank you. There must be... some things left unresolved in my subconscious. The AMS has a way of playing... tricks with you. It enhances the mental state... of it's user to increase the efficiency of the pilot. Unfortunately it... enhances... the emotions and failings at times as well."

She slumps down. Seeing a couple drops of blood on her flightsuit's visor drip into focus in front of her eyes. "I... guess I still have my humanity, if I feel remorse, even for an enemy."

"Thank you. You must think I'm a psycho now that I did that."

"Killing isn't easy, and it never should be."

He nodded. "I wouldn't worry too much, we all have our little moments where we surrender to emotion, and act just a little crazy." Images of Valerie, nearly succeeding in seducing him come to mind, and he shakes his head. "Let's head back."

"Yeah. I think I'll have to go to sickbay. This nosebleed isn't normal." She says, vented from the days events. "Then I gotta get those supplies back planetside..."

She sighs. Realizing she's got a lot on her plate. "How do you guys do it? Being all over the place and not be tired out of your mind?"

"I can handle the delivery Lieutenant, you just focus on getting well." Already he was flying the two of them back to the ship.

He nodded. "Because I have to be. I'm responsible for all of you here wearing my colors. I didn't ask for this, but Akina told me it was what I was destined to be. So I do all I can."

"T... thank you, Kai. It looks well upon you that you did that for me."

She sighs, sitting back in her pilot's seat. A headache forming in her brain. "Maybe I am working too hard right now. I got everything all arranged."

She flips a switch in her cockpit switching off her AMS. The mecha seems to slow down a bit. She speaks up to her mecha. "Computer, set autopilot to the Macross, main hangar. Slow speed."

She hits a switch on her seat and it reclines back and it's cushions fill with a soft gel cradling her. "Deactivate weapons and divert excess power to navigation-necessary systems and life support."

She sits back, and closes her eyes. "Notify... medical to have a medical support team on standby. Health and Psychology department. Initial assessment: Class I nervous breakdown with possible psycho-somatic expression."

"I already have taken care of it Rebecca." The Seatalon was unresponsive, only then did she notice the SLAVE system active, Kai was actually flying her mecha for her as well as his own.

"Take some time to recuperate, consider it an Order Lieutenant. You've been through alot, we all have."

"Understood... Sir." Osprey says. She closes her eyes, and lets Kai handle things. She would be embarassed but she knows what happened. Perhaps she needs to remove the AMS, or even more find some inner peace with herself and find what caused the emotional instability. Hopefully the medical team won't consider her unfit or duty... or worse.

"And sir... be careful. If someone like me can get unstable with this sort of power... Just be careful."

Archived