Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 10.5.11: Resynchronization.

Rebecca Baines

Rebecca walks into the makeshift hangar area SCRT 4 set up planetside to accommodate the SCRT-4 mechanized assets. She had come though to start installing the reconfigured armor bits she scrounged up from requisitions to fit to the reconfigured internal frame. The only armor pieces that fit were some old SCRT-N01 era armor pieces that look like they were a design more for a Lieutenant's custom model.

Then again, the sailor suited motif the mecha would have when finally installed made Rebecca smile.

"Lieutenant Rathbone? Why are using these surplus armor parts?" A technician asks as the last installer frames move the custom thruster covers on the back and the head stabiizers.

"The SeaTalon sounded like it needed some armor reconfiguration. The armor it had was interfering with the proper joint movement. The S3N-5H1 model of the N01 class armors provide better joint mobility than later models. The poor dear sounded like she was wearing the wrong outfit...wasn't happy at all."

Rebecca adjusts her SCRT-4 duty jumpsuit. Wasn't what she wore 20 years ago by their reckoning, her old duty uniform looked more naval than the homogeneous grey jumpsuits the fixer squadron here was wearing. The lack of nautical design disappointed her. Although the grey Kimonos the officers wore as a dress uniform was a nice perk of the job. "Hopefully the Captain should be showing up soon, I need to get these reconstruction plans to her."

"As a Lieutenant, it is within your jurisdiction to configure your mecha as you wish."

The voice of a young woman echoes from behind one of Seatalon's legs, and The young white-haired Captain emerges. "You have taken good care of this mecha, I see no reason to allow you to outfit her as the two of you see fit."

She stood there, clad in her grey jumpsuit, the symbols identifying her as a Captain plain to see.

"I had received word you wished to speak with me. Technically I am your superior officer in CRT-4, though you are somewhat out of Date. My other Lieutenant, Kaname Chidori, is still on Earth, overseeing the rest of the CRT. Because of this, and the task before us, I'm willing to formally instate you as my Lieutenant as well."

Rebessa quickly spins-to and stands at attention, to a British quality. Unusual with the Japanese sensibilities in service of Satoshi. "Ma'am." She says, actually feeling comfortable with more responsibility and regulation from her mercenary days in the other universe. "Yes, I requested your presence, ma'am. I have the supply and requisition plan for the reconstruction asset of the Capitol City's spaceport and power grid. Priorities are being given to all medical, bureaucratic, and central military assets."

"Currently the available crew can operate at 90% efficiency, and I request permission to use the SeaTalon to assist in heavy lift operations at the central naval facility, to relieve some of the assets that would be needed there to accelerate the spaceport operations."

She stands at attention once more after handing a datapad to Captain Ruri Hoshino. "The details of my plan are there, ma'am. I also welcome being received back into the fold as your Lieutenant. After our efforts are done and we have more time I can be debriefed on what happened while I was away."

"And Ma'am... What happened to my former Commanding Officer, Rokusho Shibaksuka? I hope he's enjoying his retirement, since he has to have retired by now..."

At Shibaksuka's mention, Ruri's amber eyes narrow. "Sadly that is not the case. I do not believe in the afterlife myself, though for him I hope whatever reward he wished for he got. He died at Takashi's hands, before my very eyes."

Her voice is one of someone who has been scarred by something awful. "Though I only desire to protect our people, on both sides, Takashi's death is one that had to occur, and I am glad Kai allowed us to all watch him do it. Kai showed more mercy than I would have."

She shakes her head. "Enough of that. With the resources available, I would prioritize the spaceport and infrastructure. We cannot afford to land the Macross, so we mus still shuttle materials fabricated within it down from low orbit. Use our assets as you need, up to fifty percent of what is available. The rest is still repairing our ships, mecha, and seeing to our injured. Adding another three CRT's to our order of battle has stretched our personnel far, even with the hundred members that were serving with the taskforce."

She shakes her head. "There's so much to do, it is good we have Access to CRT's one and nine as well for support. Their mecha aren't made for construction, but all the same they can be converted fast, and are quite useful."

"SeaTalon was orignally designed as a testbed with high manual dexterity. She can easily do several different tasks when needed. No conversion required. Also seeing SeaTalon's new armor should serve as a symbol of SCRT-4's peaceful intentions. The S3N-5H1 armor configuration is a rare one, but it is up this frame's forte..."

Rebecca chokes back her anger, sadness, and grief over her former commanding officer's death. The distraction of current affairs waning. While she lost many friends in the other universe, even a mentor, the losses here mean much more. "I..." She coughs to clear the frog in her throat.

"I have also conceived a concept right up SCRT-4's alley after the Empire arrives. I was thinking of several humanitarian efforts to help with the orphans of the war. The losses here were great and if we can show Satoshi in a better light, we can greatly increase our diplomatic ties."

"I... also have to ask, does the R&D division still exist within SCRT-4's available departments? If at all possible after this I would like to be assigned once again to that post. It's where I started and I am sure my talents will be needed again. Hopefully... my old service records will speak for themselves.

I would also like to know... of the disposition of one Kirumi Wyngate Rathbone. My sister. She was a Petty Officer in the nautical support operations division of SCRT-4."

Ruri nodded. "As i said, you have fifty percent of our available resources to use at your discretion. Currently, we do not have R&D here on the ships, but once we return to Earth, as Lieutenant you are free to join any of the departments, indeed they are under your your jurisdiction. We simply did not deploy with them because this wasn't a mission we thought we'd need R&D on."

"True... just thought some hotshot test pilot like myself would have joined the fray at least... someone had to have replaced me at some point.

My god, I must be legally dead... sort of... surreal."

Rebecca scratches her head, but then straightens back out. "I will do my best to get things in order here then, ma'am."

"Any further orders, ma'am?"

"We are not normally A combat Team Rebecca. Do as you will."

"You were never declared KIA, simply MIA. Your sister is aboard the Macross. She serves as Captain Morisato's tech on the Meteor Gundam, when I am unable to oversee it myself."

She smiled. "You should go see her."

"I will, ma'am after seeing to getting the ground crew here at Base Fortitude in order. The civilian population remaining in the town nearby needs it's desalinization plant repaired from taking a direct hit from a missile strike. They only have about a day's worth of water left, and we have to distribute drinking water around to them while this work's done.

I will be leaving for the Macross soon after to get some supplies and bring them back down.

Looks like SeaTalon's next job is being a courier. Thank you for stopping in, ma'am."

Rebecca loosens up slightly in posture. "And sorry for the more rigid... military stance, but while I was away... I was fighting a war. I'll send you my report when there's more time."

Rebecca orders the launch area cleared in the base so she can take off for the Macross. Rebecca isn't used to free time like most folk. She slips her flightsuit on in a nearby shower area as the SeaTalon is prepped for launch. A technician knocks on the door of the shower stall.

"Ma'am, the SeaTalon is ready for departure. We've attached a cargo backpack for the carry process to the back of the SeaTalon. The stabilizers on the head covering the pack are actually a blessing in disguise. I'm suprised there still was flexisteel still available. most of our supply got used in repairing our fleet."

Rebecca giggles as she hits a button to tighten the suit around her. "Yeah, the surplus armor pieces came in handy. The S3N-5H1 configuration is very rare, and it seems the only component armor the current SeaTalon internal frame is compatible with."

She steps out, putting on her helmet. "Anything I should know about the backpack?"

"Yes, the MK-12 reentry backpack is a new setup for the cargo loader option on you unit. All cargo is loaded in a heat-resistant sack, that is carried over the shoulder of your mecha. Before you enter re-entry mode you release the backpack, sending it with the sack down. The backpack serves as the parachute for the supplies once the sack clears the re-entry portion of landing. You know you have a new re-entry system, correct?"

"Yes, the MK-4 AEGIS heatshield. It deploys from the left arm. I'm familiar with the concept since I tested the MK-X1 shield 20 years go."

"Oh, I forgot." The technician says with a giggle as they arrive.

"I'll be back in a day with the supply load. I got important matters on the Macross to attend to." Rebecca says as she grabs the pilot line that leads to her cockpit and activates the reel with a switch on her flightsuit. As she climbs in she sees the technicians salute that aren't clearing all the loading cranes and other important equipment from the landing pad.

Rebecca climbs in an sees her cockpit's been cleaned and a couple cracked displays repaired.

"This is Lieutanant Rebecca Shirasu Rathbone calling the Macross. Registering flightplan."

"That's an affirmative, SeaTalon. Any passengers?"

"Negative, just me and the cargo carrier."

"Affirmative, SCRT-4 SeaTalon, you are cleared to use the main cargo hangar in the foreward hull."

"Affirmative, Macross, Osprey out."

And with that Osprey takes off, a whiteish blue light trailing behind her from the "overed-boost" system.

The Macross was a hive of activity, all on-duty personnel moving about repairing damage, seeing to injuries, and maintaining Satoshi's most important ship in the Fleet. The Amaterasu was moored to her upper deck, to keep the ship close while repairs were done.

Even damaged both ships were an impressive sight, as no less than 50 mecha swarmed around them in various roles.

Rebecca felt like the Amaterasu was her prize... "Perhaps someday" she thought as she looked at the Amaterasu's hull.

"This is XMU1-003 SeaTalon making final approach to Macross."

"Affirmative, Osprey we have you on visual, close to runway three, at 10% thrust."

"Roger, locking on navigational guides."

Navigational guides lead from the runway out into space, and Osprey deftly moves into a solid approach vector.

"Making final approach now."

As the SeaTalon flies by, SCRT-4 maintenance and repair crews seem swarm over the Macross' Hull making the repairs the damaged, beleaguered ship required. Some maintenance crews stop and look at the unusual livery and armor configuration of the SeaTalon, but knowing this mecha and her pilot saved the Macross, the fleet, and perhaps the war elicits salutes from some of the crewmen in their space suits or construction exo-frames. Osprey is SCRT-4's ace... the protector of the team. The only combat capable mecha in a non-combat team.

SeaTalon pulls into the main cargo bay of the Macross and lands in a kneeling position to make it easier for Rebecca to climb out. The gravity was set low in the bay to facilitate moving heavy equipment around for repairs and for the cargo loading to be done later.

Osprey jumps out and lands at the feet of SeaTalon as the magnetic couplings on the soles of her boots lock into place. She walks over to the comlink panel on the side of one of the walls and does a quick scan of personnel.

"Computer... current disposition of crewmember Kirumi Wyngate Rathbone?"

"She is in Officer's bay, detailing and supervising the rebuilding of Captain Morisato's Meteor gundam following it's near destruction engaging Captain Satotishi."

In the bay the Meteor's core and an various limbs were mounted on cranes. two people dressed in jumpsuits were there. One wore the grey of CRT-4, covered with dirt and grime already. The other wore the red and gold of CRT-1.

"Thank you."

Rebecca decides that it would be a better idea to appear in person. She takes the quick routes shown on the floor to the Officer's bay. Moving past technicians, repair crews in EVA suits, sections still exposed to vacuum and the like. She passes where when she was last here the shower bays were. Now it's nothing but a view of the planet below. She moves onward, until finally making it to the bay.

She decides to straighten herself out a bit before entering.

"Twenty years..."

The door opens when she steps foreward and she walks into the bay. She sees the Meteor, bespoke in whatever little glory she had left.

Osprey's flightsuit definitely had more color than Kirumi's duty uniform. She walks up to a safe 5 meters away and opens her helmet, letting the sound carry.

"Ensign Kirumi Wyngate Rathbone, I presume? That caliper is the improper tool for adjusting a plasma regulator's valve assembly." Rebecca states, trying to keep her tone of voice from matching what Kirumi would recognize.

"You little sparrow... you beautiful little sparrow look at you!" When Rebecca left, Kirumi was just out of training in the Satoshi academy, 18 and full of regulations and procedures. A new Ensign in the fixers of SCRT-4.

"I... oh dear girl come here!" Rebecca says, hugging her sister, not caring how much dirt transfers. Among the Shirasu-Rathbone family, hard work and getting dirty was their specialty. "I got so much to tell you about what happened on the D-Drive transferrance!"

Rebecca can hardly hold back her tears.

"I knew I'd heard that name before." Kai watched the reunion with a smile. He nodded. "You should be proud of her. She's been my tech since I became head Captain, and does a masterful job, even when I bring back my machine in pieces."

"Of course she is, Sir. She's just like my dad." She says looking at the age lines. "You look like you've been through alot, Kirumi."

"Y... Yeah... Onee-san." Kirumi says before crying. "We thought you were dead, Rebecca! We put up a grave and everything! You were dead, Rebecca we saw the explosion!" She says, gripping Rebecca's flight suit enough to make Rebecca fear she would claw it open.

"I know... I thought I was dead too. But... I went to another universe, and traversed twenty years of time to get back home Kirumi... and I made it."

"How's mum?" Rebecca says. Is she alright?

"She's... she's dead, onee-san... the reactor exploded at the base and..."

"Shh..." Rebecca says, gripping tightly. "She's with Father and the Universe, Kirumi."

Kirumi slouches down. "I couldn't save her, Rebecca.... I couldn't... I was so afraid." She said, shamed with guilt. "We lost Shamballa..."

"I understand. I lost a lot while I was away... I fought a war against impossible odds to get back to you." Rebecca says, her head against Kirumi's. "I won't ever do that again. I'll never leave your side, I promise you that."

Kirumi and Rebecca look at each other. Kirumi manages to smile. "And I won't leave yours, onee-san."

When Kirumi pulls back, she triggers Rebecca's vest. "GOTCHA! I've been waiting 20 years to get you!"

Rebecca smiles. "You could never resist any button or lever or... toggle... well played." She says, playfully rapping her knuckles gently on Kirumi's cheek. "You were the clown of the family."

"Hey... since I'm 20 years older that makes me... 20 years your senior now!"

"18, Kirumi... I spent two years in that universe and the jump back lept me through time. I can only theorize that the Shamballa explosion was what thrust me foreward when the D-Drive engaged... it must have opened a rift in timespace and sent me foreward."

"Possibly... The first time traveller... and she's in our family!"

Rebecca and Kirumi stand for a moment, Kai wondering if Kirumi will get back to work.

"Oh... sorry, Sir." Rebecca says. "Would you mind if for a couple hours I help my sister? I'll be on board for the rest of the day while the SeaTalon has it's cargo supplies loaded for transit back to the planet."

"Well if you don't have anything on your schedule for now, grab a jumpsit and join in." Kai says, smiling. "Just don't give my Gundam a sailor suit as well."

Rebecca smiles. "Not an issue, Sir."

Rebecca grabs a spare duty SCRT-4 jumpsuit and goes behind a stacked set of crates to change.

"Well, the best I can do is to return to where I left off after this crisis is dealt with. Get back to being a test pilot with the Research and Development division." She says, stepping back out in the grey jumpsuit of the SCRT-4. "I remember when there was a sailor collar on the enlisted rank and lower tier rank jumpsuits... I miss that."

She starts looking over the internals. "You were right, Kirumi... this is a fiber-optic feed line to the CPU... interesting." She says, adjusting her goggles. "Or is that a electrical con..."

A zap later sends her back unto her back. Thankfully the built-in grounding on the suit prevents her from being electrocuted. "Aaaahhhh... tsssss ahhhh.... that hurt... Regulation 332 regarding electrical equipment requires all wires to be color coded by voltage... this one isn't to code..."

She grumbles about how the engineer completely loused up a proper job. "This is supposed to be more easily servicable."

"Rebecca... you're on a rant again, and your nose is bleeding..."

Rebecca wipes her nose. "Uhm... thanks, Kirumi..."

"Umm, call me Onee-Sama."

Rebecca smiles. "Right... Onee-Sama."

"The Meteor is unlike any other unit in our fleet. It combines top-tier Circinus technology, as well as what would seem to be Imperial Technology, with Tech that even Satoshi can barely explain. It's why Ruri assigned a specific tech to replace her when she couldn't work on it."

"Yeah and me without my technical manual." Rebecca sighs. "Oh well. Time to learn just how much changed since I was last around. This is just how I roll."

Kirumi looks over to Rebecca. "Umm, how is SeaTalon working out for you?"

"She's regenerated. Twice since you last saw her you'd probably not even recognize her at all."

"I see... The question then is how did you arm her... it was just a testbed system."

"I brought them from the other universe. I had to be armed somehow. Of course I added a few ideas of my own to the designs."

Kai chuckled. "We can't even turn on the two primary reactors for the Meteor yet as it stands."

He looked to Rebecca. "You want to know what powers this beast?"

"A Dalaraan Seed Core in suspended growth Matrix, a Type-3 Getter ray reactor, and if that's not enough, a fifty gigaton hyperfusion reactor."

The revelation that the mech could explode with enough force to shatter a planet was said in such a way as to make it like talking about the weather.

The look on Rebecca's face is one half sheer terror and the other is a curiosity that cannot be satiated.

"Better than the zero-point reactor in the SeaTalon?"

She knows it just can't. A Zero point reactor is a stabilized singularity constantly providing power with it's very warping of space-time. It was how the D-Drive got it's impetus by stretching the singularity's gravi-warp field to slingshot the SeaTalon through space.

"It'd better not be better... my generator was ahead of it's time! If it wasn't for that my Father's invention would be impossible."

Kai nodded. "The combination of the three engines serve as amplifiers to each other, in perpetuity. The mech has a number of special abilities, including the ability to amplify and utilize the power of those within. According to what I've read, even Bankai can be amplified and utilized."

"WHAT?"

Rebecca almost falls over again. "That would mean a trans-quantum level influence on the plank scale! Something that could be called metaphysical! Just imagine if you incorporate a trace motion system into the cockpit build and have a highly trained esper or mutant be the pilot!"

Her mind races. "No enemy of peace could stand against that unstoppable force."

"There's a price though. We're talking about something that could tear a hole in space/time. It takes alot of will from the pilot to keep the mecha functioning in a battle. and of course it requires the pilots to synchronize themselves as well. Any break in the link can cause the mecha to shut down or go critical."

"You can seal the issue, Kai. You need to have an inversion of the neutron flow regulator on a zero-point generator interacting with the three. The Zero-Point generator acts like a harmonizer, tuner, and broadcaster. Father called such a system "The Eye of Harmony". Through that you could... potentially, even make a D-Drive fully feasible and controllable on a Mecha scale!"

Kirumi steps back, scared. Sometimes when Rebecca has a brain storm, it's a mother of a storm.

"And if you somehow properly scale the plank field on the Zero-point drive you could theoretically create a pocket dimension that is larger than it's external dimensions!"

Rebecca trembles...

Kai shook his head. "No, there's enough destructive power in it now already. It has enough power. I just have to become a better pilot."

He shook his head. "Besides I can do the dimensional travel myself, as well as the pocket dimension."

He nodded. "Skeleton Key, remember?"

"I was thinking more for other pilots... But I can see the danger in such an unrefined technology."

She steps around, trying to recognize something familiar.

"Ah! The main life support box... almost completely wrecked. Kirumi, Head down to deck 12 and grab a type 14 life support generator? Should be the size of a medium size shoebox. It's not too heavy."

Kirumi nods and heads off. Then Osprey has her second quarry in her sights.

"So... tell me... what sort of power is having this "skeleton key", huh?"

"I can open gateways between all dimensions. No door is locked to me."

He shrugged. "And I have a massive target on my backside 24/7."

"Let's get him put back together before we do much more. It's going to be easier to diagnose any lingering problems."

"Yeah. I'm suprised with all the damage your baby suffered that she even survived at all." Rebecca says tightening bolts and screws where needed. "This thing is so complex it's a miracle it's servicable."

Kirumi shows up with the life support unit and the two sisters get it in with no incident. "Hopefully this time you won't be so rough in your ride, Kai?" Rebecca says with a giggle.

"Logical since that is where the cockpit is. On the latest reconfigration though my cockpit transferred to the head. Still figuring out how that worked."

She scratches her nose, getting grease on it. "But, that's SeaTalon for you, in emergencies, she reconfigures herself to better fit the environment she's in."

"Well... it's more of a "Crap I got my butt kicked, time to regenerate" sort of thing. She can repair damage as she goes along, but sometimes she just cheats her own obsolescence."

She adjusts her duty uniform. "It's unfortunate to hear you lost a team member. My condolences, but power isn't the responsibility one takes when they sit in the seat of one of these modern knights."

She steps back to see the Gundam Meteor in it's glory. "It's a badge of responsibility to your fellows. It's a mark that with power comes responsibility to use it in the defense of life."

"And the knowledge that all it asks in return is your sacrifice if the time comes."

She looks down at the floor. "He... that Captain I fought... he was... unworthy. I thought I was as well when he beat me... but my answer was given to me. I have to show SeaTalon it wasn't wrong."

Archived