The Great and Powerful Oz

The Great and Powerful

Oz is a cool place. The books are quite a bit different in tone from the 1939 movie: darker, more surreal, zanier in some ways. A child's fever dream in all its glory. The above clip is from Return to Oz, a Disney movie that did not get much attention. Fairuza Balk in one of her first roles, does a great job and Disney captured a certain feeling from the books so well.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Sam Raimi is directing a new Oz movie, The Great and Powerful, starring James Franco as the Wizard, Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz as wicked witches and Michelle Williams as Glinda, the good witch. Nothing exist right now except pre-production and casting announcements, so I leave you with the trailer from Return to Oz. I imagine a Raimi movie might capture the wonder of Oz as well as this.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Oooh, sounds good for sure. I personally liked Return to Oz better than the Wizard, always have. The feel of Return I think captured the mood of the books much better than Wizard did.

But then, Wizard was a product of its time and is still an astounding movie.

This sounds very exciting. Like most little kids, I grew up loving the Wizard of Oz movie. Like maybe not as many kids (sadly), I also grew up love - love - LOVING the books. And you guys are right.. the books definitely have a different tone to them. A little darker, a little edgier (but not excessively so). My first real role-playing was in the land of Oz, I'm not ashamed to admit - I have a very dear friend that I've known since fourth grade, and when we were kids we used to spend hours (literally, hours at a time) on the phone, making up our own stories about the land of Oz. Just.. talking it out.

I agree that Return to Oz did an excellent job capturing the feel of the Oz books, and I'm definitely looking forward to a new one. Thanks for the update, Chosen!

Archived