[OpNet] So...charity huh?

Gerald Haney

Okay, so, a part of being an employee of Project Utopia and especially if you're a nova employee is you are encouraged to get behind any number of charities and such that the Project supports and that's been pretty kewl so far. I've been in bachelor auctions (always humiliating when they say your name and you get a bunch of confused looks) and stuff like that but I'd like to turn it up a notch, really do something. Now, I'm not as overpaid as some folks around me, I'm just a glorified lab assistant, so just throwing money at someone isn't an option. And I just look at stuff real well, so it's not like my powers can do that much, so I'm coming here and hoping that some of the more positive folks can give me some clues as to what I could do.

So, whatever you got, lemme know.

Consistency is important, yes? Find something that will help your designated Others permanently, or help them help themselves. Solid/Liquid assets can be useful, but few things are so fixed in value (to most) as time.

The Larvae are the key, it is thought. The young. They are more easily adjusted, and favorable adjustments have greater opportunity to spread and influence future development. Influence Larvae toward productivity and self-improvement. That is the suggestion.

Maybe, convert some baseline young into aspiring scientists? They are designed to be curious and clever. Demonstrate valid and productive outputs for those tenancies, drawing upon your own unique capabilities in that regard. Fill their sweet minds with sweet data, and instantiate a hunger for more. Perhaps.

Details on the best/most-efficient/most-practical means of undertaking such a task are not presently available.

Free clinic.

You are capable of resolving visual input tp microscopic size, peering through material objects and need not have training beyond the level of first aid in order to take the place of certain medical equipment. As a plus you will find that you are resistant to infections.

Academecia.

A number of universities that cannot afford to maintain the presence of novas on staff would be grateful for the assistance in fields ragnging from genetics, through biology, to astronomy and specific types of stellar research.

Assistance.

There are a variety of tutor and feeding the homeless programs out there than need another body to assist.

You could always call the trolls working in the PR department and tell them you need a charity opportunity. You should probably trash anything that starts out with the words, "There's a new mall opening..." Don't sound like what you want at least the way Guggie tells the stories of her experiences.

What? You asked!

laugh

God, NO! For the love of sanity (and your wardrobe) please stay away from the mall openings!

I did one once as part of a Tn2M requirement. *shudders*

Personally, I like taking on Charities that make the PR boys and dolls a little squirmy. Currently I'm doing a little lecture tour in conjunction with the QNA. Were hitting a few Canadian high schools and discussing issues of tolerance and safe sexual practices. I also plan on participating in the Toronto Pride festivities come June as a show of Utopia's approval of open mindedness and equality.

Seriously?

Well, seriously I'm sorry, but you aren't exactly the kind of name that Utopians are supposed to associate with. I mean, you keep dissing nearly ever nova in the world, right and left.

Out of all of them actually Psimon's sounds the coolest. Fact is I've had to learn a bunch of stuff about identifying medical weirdness anyway so I could actually help out. And there are bunches of free clinics in Europe that could use a set of magical peepers.

Thanks guys. Just weird to think about doing this kind of stuff. I never thought I'd be in a position to be able to.

The brighter tomorrow includes malls?

COOL!

Hey, even when you don't worship on the alter of consumerism you need a place to buy painting supplies. That does bring up the question of what the brigher tomorrow has to do with malls though. Sure, I get that there's the whole fan and nova thing going on but that's just a PR gig, right?

Gerry;

Get a picture of you in your blue and yellow suit. I'm having a little trouble imagining it for some reason.

laugh

Gosh darnit.

Okay, once more for the cheap seats.

I am not now, nor will I ever be a member of Team Tomorrow. I do not have a set of blue and yellow skivies. When I'm at work I'm wearing blue jeans, some sort of button down shirt and a lab coat.

Give to people in need that you personally know, and do so in a direct enough manner to make certain that they get the assistance. With anything else, you wind up with anywhere from 10% to 100% re-routed to administrative costs, government seizures, cuts to corrupt distribution middle-men, and the like.

Quote:
Vanguard: The best type of charity is done without anyone knowing.
Not for us. Princess Di could have been secretly in favor of all sorts of things, but what actually got done was what she did in public.

Personally, I don't often get asked by the PR department to go to these "image raising" events (I'm not sure they know what to do with me).

But you should make an effort to involve them.

If nothing else, they'll make an effort to make sure you get the most "bang" for your buck.

Haney;

I am pleased you found the suggestions of value. Should you have difficulties in identifying a suitable location or clinic please feel free to ask that I may point you in the direction of several very knowledgable people or organizations that could assist. As a word of advice; I would caution you to be very specific in your desires regarding public visablilty. No, nothing sinister is intended but the presence of a nova working in a location might be seen as am event to increase public awareness of a situation. If this is not to your liking be willing to say so, in advance, and that will go far in avoiding any misunderstandings.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard:

The best type of charity is done without anyone knowing.

With Smith's observations in mind I would recommend rewording this to;

The best type of charity is done without anyone knowing the cost.

Archived