Aberrant RPG - Aberrant Errata Question

Inti

in the Aberrant Errata pdf downloadable at this site it states two things that don't appear in the Player's Gudie Errata:

1. Claws - Extra Aggravated: Deal Claws dice of Aggravated + 1 per success on attack roll, don't add Str

2. Thunderclap & Shockwave deal 5 dice of bashing damage per Mega-Strength dot, not 1

Where do those come from? Are they quotes from authors somewhere or is there another place for errata in all those Aberrant books I haven't found yet?

The Claws thing makes a lot more sense than the Shockwave BTW.

Claws is devilishly tricky to apply Aggravated to (even without errata it wouldn't convert Strength to Aggravated but that is a common misconception), and that's before considering it's seriously broken in combination with Quick and other Extras (Area would be a good one). Claws badly needed errata.

Shockwave and Thunderclap are more iffy, and I strongly suspect the errata is worse than the original problem. Meaning they went from too weak to much too strong.

I don't think Shockwave/Thunderclap are overpowered in the new set. Think of it in comparison to any other M-Strength attack - you're basically translating your autosuccesses into dice. That makes sense, since it's an area attack, but it doesn't seem comparatively overpowered to me.

Now, M-Strength itself seems overpowered to me, but that's a different story.

M-Str's big problem is hitting people. You don't have a range and you don't have any increased skill in connecting.

Thunderclap deals with both of those. Worse, at Mega-5 you are doing 25 dice in damage. Assuming the typical baseline soaks 2 of that, they take 23 dice of damage (doing 9.2 health levels) and then they also take knockback which will do roughly enough damage to kill them.

How many people have you seen killed outright by the Hulk's Thunderclap?

How many times have you seen the hulk to a thunderclap in the face of an unarmored and powerless human?

This may happen, I don't read the Hulk comic anymore (and didn't read it much when I was younger), but I don't discount the possibility that it would kill someone outright if the hulk did do that.

So what's the area of effect on thunderclap? It shouldn't be very high, and damage should drop off pretty steeply. Also, I didn't think you could kill someone outright with bashing (knock them out, sure, but not kill them), and isn't Thunderclap bashing?

Not that any of this particularly matters. If something doesn't make sense to me, I generally change it. I apply White Wolf's golden rule to all the games I run, and it applies to most of the games I'm in.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, thanks for all the answers... I personally don't think the upped Shockwave/Thunderclap is to powerful. If you want to deal 25 dice Bashing to everyone in a radius, buy M-Strength 5 (and Quantum of at least 4). Your char won't be able to do much besides...

Anyway. it would be nice to get some more errata, especially for the PG. Does anybody else think some of the Mastery Extra stuff a little strange, fort example? Mastery 2 states that Lvl 1 or 2 powers don't cost Quantum to use anymore. However, since Mastery always upps the Powerlevel by one and you have to have Mastery 1 before Mastery 2 you won't ever have Mastery 2 on any Lvl one or 2 powers...

For reduced quantum costs (either Mastery or the RQC extra), figure the level and cost before the extra, then reduce the q cost off of that.

In addition, Mastery RQC rules make a lot more sense if you just apply one level of RQC per level of Mastery.

Example #1: Jane Nova (Q6) has Elemental Mastery + MASTERY.

Normal q costs before MASTERY would be 3 (or 6). Cut those in half (1 or 3). The level of the power is 4 for buying more dots.

Example #2: Joe Nova (Q5) has Claws + RQC.

As the book says, this is free. The calculation is 1 (the cost before RQC) which is cut in half and rounded in favor of the nova (0). The level of the power is 2 for buying more dots.

Archived