Mutants & Masterminds: The Unlikely Prophets - Issue #4: "My Own Private Kryptonite"

Charlotte

Gloom watched Glitch closely. He’d been helpful, but Gloom remembered how they had found him. That was why she hadn’t said anything about what she’d found; she wanted to talk to the others without Glitch around.

Perhaps Hex has the knowledge base to tell me more about it? Gloom mused silently. Her black eyes continued to watch, her expression bland, almost bored, until Glitch mentioned the Knight Watchman. Her eyes narrowed as she waited for the image.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharatur raised her eyebrows in surprise, and chuckled. She shook her head slowly. "Norman, you know why I asked you out here? Well, besides the fact that you seem to have a clear sense of right and wrong. Back in that prison. When Aqua was pounding on that door. Everyone started wondering how we were going to fight living water. Or trying to figure out how to escape. Including me."

She paused for effect, then continued softly "All except for one of us, Norman. Your first thought was for the minotaurs we had left behind deep within the chamber. What you did, charging back there without a thought for your safety, it was reckless and foolish."

After another pause, she added "And heroic." She pointed back at Jack's home, though it wasn't visible from their position. "I've gotta believe that that's what those stories of Eiko's are all about." She smiled, a little sadly. "It seems I have to work my way around to thinking like that. I want to be that way, while you just do it automatically."

"There's a lot of information in there," Hex observed, watching over Glitch's shoulder. She patted Jack on the shoulder, intending to convey her silent support over the revelations of his past, then said, "I'll be in the kitchen. I could use something to drink."

And she headed off to get just that.

Information on the Knight Watchman was called up just as Jade and Necronaut entered. He was a man in a SWAT team riot suit, only instead of a face behind his plexiglass visor there was only pale blue smoke.

Many details about who the Knight Watchman was were not present; the entry stated that the Knight cherished his privacy and did not want many details to be known. What is known is the Knight felt a special bond to police officers, and was rumored to be the ghost of a slain cop; he was supposedly unkillable, armed with pistols that spared the body but hurt the spirit; and that in 2006, after some kind of event called the Endless Knight, the Knight broadened his horizons, extending the Vanguard's quasi-legal authorities into the realm of police training.

The Knight was the world's foremost expert on the peculiar array of skills needed to be a policeman, and his training spread worldwide. Police departments soon boasted of being part of the Knight Watchmen.

Hex returned to the house to find that over half of the prisoners had emptied out the door and were looking around. Matthew Cale waved to Hex as he saw her, then pointed at the buildings off in the distance.

"Is that a town? Who else lives here? How come we haven't seen anyone?"

Hikari just stared and listened. The fact the organization they'd fought against, well it seemed they were once heroes, or at the very least employees for those who'd once been heroes. It all showed how far someone could fall.

Hex shaded her eyes and followed the man's finger to spy the old ghost town a ways off. She nodded and looked back at Matthew.

"Yep, there used to be a town out there, back when Ayer's Rock was still a tourist destination," she answered. "When the Order put it off limits, the town lost its only real source of income, and was abandoned. It's been that way for...well, quite awhile now, I guess. No food, no power...probably not much water if any. And the buildings would need some fixing up before they're up to code."

She pursed her lips, considering.

"But then again, maybe these powers are good for more than punching out robots and minotaurs."

Hex smiles and shakes her head. "No. He was never part of the Order. A long time ago he wasn't as nice as he is now...but he's learned a lot since then. And even when he was younger, he wasn't one of them."

"In fact, if it wasn't for Jack, none of us...not me or any of us...would be here now, able to fight back. We owe him pretty much everything."

"Anyway, yeah, lets go take a look at that town. See what it'll take to get it suitable for you guys. We can do food runs for the time being to stores and so on, but eventually the ideal would be to make it so you can get your own food here. Become self-sufficient."

Norman quickly transformed the nonplussed look he wanted to give Sharatur into an abashed smile. He felt like he should argue but she had a point. He couldn't remember what had gone through his mind. Going to warn the Minotaurs had been pretty much automatic. Dangerously so.

He gave Jack a nod as he entered the room. His curiosity was still going all out, but Jack didn't seem to have gone bonkers so, presumably, he had taken the news of his former villainy pretty well.

Hex started squaring people away. It was a tough chore - there was a lot of dust and neglect in the houses in town, without power or running water. But it beat having to all cram into Jack's place.

"So they co-opted the police. Or got the Knight on their side. Hmm." Jack rubbed his chin. "All right. Anything else that anyone wants to look up, or should we head back and let it alone for now?"

Sharatur was quiet for most of the flight back to Jack's home. But, while still a bit pensive, she no longer radiated the tension and uncertainty she had before her talk with Necronaut.

On their return, she quickly checked in to make sure everything was still under control, and then went to wash the sweat and dirt off again. Hair still damp from her shower, she began pestering people with questions until she was sufficiently caught up on the events she had missed. The fact that Jack seemed to have been some sort of, of, 'supervillain' once did give her a moment's pause, but then she shrugged slightly, apparently quite willing to accept it and move on.

Eventually she grabbed some food and settled down on the couch to relax. For now, she seemed content to just watch and listen.

"If the members of The Order aren't in there by name, we should see if there are any other references... water, lightning or nature controllers? Immortal sociopath super-soldiers?"

He paused for a moment and his head jerked slightly. "Hey, see if there are plans for hearing aids for Jasmine. Her dad was a super-genius, he didn't have to let her walk around deaf, I'd imagine."

Norman continued to skulk around the Vault. Yes, he wanted his own turn at the keyboard but it wouldn't do to ask for it. Not while everyone was so interested in every word that flicked across the screen...

The entry was pulled up once more. The Luminary really did look for all the world like she could be Radiance's sister. She was dressed in a different costume, but the resemblance was there.

The hologram showed her waving to someone long since gone, and vital statistics were displayed besides her. Base of operations (Seattle,) known associates (The Goldsmith, Modus Operandi, the Scarlet Samurai,) group affiliation (the Vanguard) and known enemies (the Global League of Crime, the Sunset Saint, Doctor Possible, and Blackjack.)

Her powers came from self-described "light of imagination." She was able to create solid light objects in nearly any configuration. Real name was Margaret Hardy. Was one of the first superheroes to emerge. Was a writer before gaining her powers. The third member to join the Vanguard after its debut. Hikari has no recollection of this woman, and the woman is clearly Causcasian and not related by blood.

Other information was called up - much of it useful, some of it nebulous.

The Druid

Relatively minor villain before the Rise, with the ability to control plant life. She claims to be a dead human being possessed by the spirit of Mother Nature - whether this is true or not is unknown. What is known is her disdain for any life form that isn't a plant or directly involved in their well-being. Most often tangled with Captain Star and the Knight Watchman.

Aqua

Records are found of an animating force that possessed and controlled seawater, as a result of an experiment by Doctor Possible to create an artificial brain out of conductive water. It only manifested once, but it flooded the coast of England before it was defeated by the Union Jacks.

The Mathemagician and AEGIS-1

Both appear to be creations of the Goldsmith - incredibly complex creations, the workings of which are a mystery so far, even to Glitch. AEGIS-1 appears to be a 'perfect bodyguard' - able to isolate any threat, even unintended - and the Mathemagician appears to be a living computer program without the computer.

Spartan

No record exists of an "immortal man" that matches the profile of Spartan, but there is a reference to Project Spartan, a creation of the private military contractor Frozen Lake that attempted to create a reliable means of replicating a superhuman. The only details that the Goldsmith was privy to was when he personally tangled with several identical heavily armed clones. Frozen Lake denied all official involvement, and it's clear that the Goldsmith had many clashes with Frozen Lake and its more nefarious elements.

Archon

There are at least a dozen recorded electrically-charged superhumans, including Cobalt Blue, the Living Lightning, the Human Spark, and Alex Volt. Of these, Alex Volt was a solo superhero operating out of Denver, the Human Spark was recorded killed in action in 2006, and Cobalt Blue and the Living Lightning were supervillains. Any one of them, or none of them, could be Archon, thanks to Archon never being seen without his armor.

Finally, there is a design for an implant that will help Jasmine Gold hear. It will take some time to build, however.

"Why don't you get started on that, Glitch?" Gloom not-quite suggested, though her rasping tone was still polite. "It'd be great for Jasmine." She signed this for the woman too, then added, ~I need to talk to Hex. I'll be back, come get me if you need me.~

Once outside, it wasn't hard to find the magic-user. "Hex, gotta a moment to see something?" Gloom asked, all four of her arms crossing in what looked to be a complicated interweaving of limbs.

Hex looked around, a little startled to realize how the 'code name' was growing on her, even now that they weren't 'on duty.' Or maybe they were? Dismissing the thought for now, she nodded and turned to face Gloom.

"Sure," the sorceress replied. "I think they can manage without me for awhile. What have you got?"

Gloom led her back into the Vault, past the lab where Glitch was setting up and to the information store she had found. Silently, she pointed out Elizabeth Laura Driche's library of "Supernormal Commonalities: Common Techniques for Controlling and Mastering Extranormal Abilities."

"What do you make of that?" Gloom asked, pointing with a jerk of her head.

"Eldritch's research," Hex said breathlessly. "I had no idea it was in here."

She looked at Gloom, eyes widening behind her spectacles.

"This could be the key. How the Order managed to suppress abilities. What Jack's girlfriend did to get them back. The gap in history...it could explain practically all of that. Answers we'll need if we're going to face the Order on equal terms."

Hex gazed at the library for a moment, then said, "I'll start going over this stuff as soon as I can. My first priority is to help those people get that town set up again, and keeping it off the Order's radar. Still, this is a huge find!"

"No, I'll work on the town," Gloom said suddenly. "Look, I can organize people but this... I don't get this. I'm not smart like you. Lemme me work on the town, and you work on this." The four-armed woman laid a hand on the library. She looked almost sad but she accepted that this was something Hex would be better at.

"You game for that?"

Hex glanced at Gloom in confusion for a moment, then realized what she was saying and burst into a grin.

"Oh, no...no I didn't mean that. What I want to do for the town is something no one else can do for them. Look."

She turned and waved a hand towards the now-distant dilapidated buildings.

"In the short term, they'll need doors opened to get supplies. I can help with that. It won't take much of my time. But later on, once we've gotten them water and so on, they'll need to irrigate and grow their own food. And that means for acres and acres, the dead dry ground will turn green."

"I'm sure the Order still has satellites flying overhead here every so often," Hex went on, looking upwards. "A handful of people living in a house don't make a blip. But a town coming back to life? With hectares of farmland appearing? The Order will know something's up with that. But I have an idea that will cover them. Cover us. I can bind a glamour to a totem...so that when someone looks down at this area from above, they'll see it how it is now. No matter what we do to it."

Hex takes a deep breath and nods. "So I have my work cut out for me. That'll be a powerful spell. I'll have to split my time between it, working out this research, and mastering the staff we found in the labyrinth. Even so, I think it's time well spent."

Gloom nodded in understanding. "I'll still handle the logistics and free you up to do the things only you can do. One more thing... we can bring the others in on this, but not Glitch. I still don't trust how we just happened to find him like that. I wanna observe him for a couple of weeks before we bring him in on this."

Hex hesitated, then nodded. "If that's what you want," she agreed. "But keep in mind that from some points of view, that's how all of us were found. Probability seems like it warps around us a little. You're in charge though. I'll wait for your say-so."

Gloom nodded, then went outside to check on the townsfolk. She knew that there was a lot of work to be done; with a grim smile, she got to it.

Over the next couple of hours, she worked on learning names, professions, skills and dietary needs of each of the refugees. Gloom was determined that these people wouldn't suffer anymore; they'd lost enough.

The days turned into weeks.

Getting the townsfolk - and they thought of themselves as the townsfolk now - set up was a challenge, but not an insurmountable one. Advanced hyper-technology and ancient magical rituals served to give them all the food, water, energy and safety they'd ever need.

A few of the townsfolk needed special medication that was easily procured; one was lactose intolerant. Matthew Cale was a vegetarian but he wasn't too picky about what made him full, circumstances considered. Matthew seemed the type who had the largest axe to grind with the Order; he didn't lose anyone or anything to the regime, he just saw it for what it was and did his best to fight back, with anti-Order leaflets and attempts to organize. For his sins he was thrown to the gorgons; now out, his enmity towards the Order had redoubled, and he and Blackjack had a lot to talk about.

Eiko wound up somewhat depressed, realizing that he could never return to the Maze and finding himself missing it. But he kept himself busy, helping with scholarly research in the Vault and teaching himself how to speak more fluently. He spoke with the oddly affecting bombast of a comic book character, and with more eloquence by the day.

Blackjack eventually got over the revelation of his past, though he spent a bit too much time in the Vault going over his own lost history. Jasmine got her ear implants, thanks to Glitch, and to her immense relief was able to "stop talking like a complete 'tard."

Research in the Vault itself was slow going. To Hex's slight disappointment, the book that Gloom spoke of was not about the origins of superpowers, and indeed, mentioned their origins as a mystery. Instead, what the book was about were common techniques to master them and control them, techniques that worked on many (but not all) superhumans from various walks of life. Specific mental techniques to use and practice, mindsets to get into, that sort of thing. All useful to the group - everyone in the group found their abilities growing with practice - but still, not quite what Hex was looking for.

Click to reveal..
This is how you all manage to go up a power level and use those PP you have.

Gloom was probably the most dedicated of the group to mastering her powers on their own merits, and before long a large stretch of land not far from the town became known as the Stomping Grounds - a place to let loose with powers and abilities beyond those of mortal men.

Glitch, having finished Jasmine's implants, decided that now was the time to bring his mother and father in. Blackjack seemed fine with it, and so, it was time to either travel there on his own, or get Hex to send him - assuming, of course, no one wanted to stop him.

Hex found the stories of the Staff matching up somewhat, though not entirely, with the mythology around it. There was little mention of it in the Vault - the only one who seemed to know much about it was Eiko.

Jade had a similar interest as Glitch, deciding that now was the time to contract Francis and Terry and see if they were doing okay. She too, faced the choice to head out on her own, or to get help from Hex.

Finally, Necronaut was frustrated by difficult roadblocks in his path. Attempting to summon those superheroes and supervillains described in the Vault was a fruitless process - whatever the Gap was, it applied to the dead as well. The closest Necronaut came to what he was looking for was the half-faded ghost of a minor supervillain, who answered no questions and did nothing but ask what was going on, over and over. Eventually, the ghost faded, and Necronaut couldn't read him again. His efforts to find a mention of his parents in the Vault were also fruitless - whoever they were, they apparently weren't newsworthy. There was still Ayers Rock, however...

Norman was doing his best not to haunt the clandestine little community he was helping to build. He had haunted all through his old life. Now was the time to be real. He said hello to people in passing, he smiled, he asked other team members and rescue-es how he could help out with their various projects, occasionally he participated in small-talk. He just hoped it didn't all look as forced as it felt. At least he could tell himself there was a purpose to it now. His attempts to help with the fight against the order hadn't come to much since the labyrinth. The least he could do was try to act like a person. Still, sometimes, he envied the small cloud of half-mad spirits who had taken to following him around. Nobody could fault them for being distant and self-absorbed. Nobody else even knew they were there.

Coming in to breakfast just after Sunrise he bumped into Sharatur. Smile. Good morning. Mention the weather? No, something else...

"Hey, have you done any more delving in Ayers Rock? I was thinking I should take a look myself. It used to be some kind of aboriginal burial site, right?"

For Hikari, once she was free of having to maintain clothing and such she was happy. It meant she could learn to do more with her powers.

She spent a good deal of time in the Stomping Grounds, learning every facet of her burgeoning abilities. What time she had not spent there, she spent studying the books, and creating art of her own flavor along those lines.

Sometimes she crafted them of hard light, at others, she used paper or canvas as her medium. She had no favorites, and indeed they were all done in so many styles, she could go on endlessly making new versions.

Glitch figured that it would be easier if he could get Hex's help to make the transit swift and simple. And that was his overriding concern, getting them back soon so that they couldn't be hostages against him in the future. Soon enough he found the witch, and called out to her, "A moment, Hex?"

Larissa was out back behind Jack's house, her grimoire open and practicing...something...with the serpentine staff taken from the Labyrinth. The unearthly light in the air faded as she became aware of his approach and turned to give him a look.

"Good morning," she said with a nod. "What's up?"

Hikari spotted Blackjack on the day in question, walking through the impromptu studio that she'd assembled for herself. He nodded at her as he heard her footsteps.

"I wish I could see them. They tell me they're beautiful." Blackjack turned back to one of the paintings. "I'd have thought you'd have headed back to the world by now. You seemed to have a lot going on back there..."

Originally Posted By: OOC
Sharatur/Necronaut, and Glitch/Hex's business doesn't yet require GM attention.

"It is nice to have places which can be appreciated without being touched. Felt without being manipulated?" The Necronaut trailed off, recognizing that line of thought as one that would quickly degrade into pseudo-philosophical yammering on his part. He nodded quickly. "Yeah, if you don't mind. I wouldn't want to disrupt any communing with geography you were planning. But otherwise, let me know when you're ready and I'll have us there in a few minutes."

As soon as Sharatur and Necronaut were ready, they headed out to Ayers Rock.

The one thing that had changed about the rock is that some of the residents of the town were venturing out there regularly - otherwise, it was as staid and steady as it had been before.

The hole they'd found, many weeks ago, was still there - still smooth at the sides and going down out of sight, like someone had injected a needle into the rock.

Hikari/Blackjack, and Glitch/Hex's business do not yet require GM input.

Hikari sighed. "For all you've done for us I wish you could see them too. I believe you would like them."

"As for me returning home, I don't think it is so easy. I worked for the Order, and did artwork for them. I managed to finish my last commission with them, and I lived alone."

"While I might be able to go back, I would be alone. I've committed myself to this course, and to the others walking this path. I won't go home until It's done or I am sent away."

"I see." Blackjack nodded - not at her, just in general.

"Hikari, would you have been happier if you'd never heard the Song? If you were still back there right now, and none of this was a concern of yours at all?"

Sharatur/Necronaut, and Glitch/Hex's business do not require attention.

"Perhaps I would have been, but I don't regret my choice."

She looked at him knowing he couldn't see her, instead she laid a hand on his shoulder. "I choseto not walk away, to stay here and keep fighting."

"Before I could only work with Canvas, I could only work in mundane means, ignorant of so much, virtually alone in this world. Now, I'm not alone, and I have a new medium for my art that is only limited by my creativity."

"I thank you for the Song, it changed my life for the better, and for me there can only be going forward. The past is done and immutable. I hope now to make a bright future without the Order, where the people are free, truly free."

She chuckled. "Wow, I think I've been reading those comics too much, but it's all true."

She gave his shoulder a firm squeeze, one that suprised him, she was one of the more standoffish of the group, generally eschewing the presence of others, yet she claimed having thewm around made her happy.

Originally Posted By: Mike OOC
"I see." Blackjack nodded - not at her, just in general.

"Hikari, would you have been happier if you'd never heard the Song? If you were still back there right now, and none of this was a concern of yours at all?"

Bodhie had spent the last weeks with extensive physical help rebuilding the town. Whenever some heavy lifting or other similar work had to be done she was there to help out and do her part.

Her second task was finding some kind of work out routine that would keep her busy and challenged which proved to be relatively difficult given her enhanced strength. Still the feeling of pushing her limits was something she needed, had almost grown addicted to and every day spent without any kind of exercise felt wasted to her. Fortunately there were ways to make her sweat as long as she didn’t grow to her full size and that had to do for the time being until she found a way to push the limits of her ‘enhanced’ form.

She found herself returning to Jack’s house a lot, having grown a bit attached to the first place of their meeting. She liked the kitchen and preparing meals for the refugees and generally keeping in touch with the “folks”.

One day she found herself wandering around finding herself within earshot of Hikari and Blackjack. It wasn’t her intention to eavesdrop but his question was something she felt obliged to answer to.

“I have to agree with Radiance – the song changed my life and I mean that in the most positive way possible. I had reached an absolute low in my life and my marriage turned into a complete desaster. The song, everything that followed is giving my existence purpose and meaning. It’s a sad thing to say for a mother, I suppose... but even my son has alienated himself from me. You guys are the second best thing that ever happened to me, right after the birth of my son.”, the hugely muscled woman glanced into the distance emotionally caught between being contend and sad. She enjoyed everything they’ve accomplished until now but there was also a longing to see her son again, even though he hated her.

It took a while before they both had a full day or two free again. Sharatur and Necronaut flew to Ayer's Rock and spent some time exploring all over. Necronaut was more interested in the history, while Sharatur was far more interested in the geology itself. Still, she found it interesting looking at things from his perspective, and he provided her with insights she would never have gained on her own. All in all, she was enjoying herself immensely.

Eventually they ended up at the hole again. Sharatur radiated curiousity; if she had been a cat, her ears would be turned straight for the hole, and her whiskers flexed and quivering. "Hey, if you go ghost mode, I bet I could sort of wriggle down the hole while you followed, or came along with me. What do you say, want to give it a try? Let's see what's on the other end!"

Blackjack put his hand over Radiance's. "Thanks, Hikari, that means a lot. I wish I could read those silly things that Eiko's always on about, but listening to him is entertainment enough."

He turned in the direction of Bodhie. "Hell, Bodhie, I'm sorry to hear about your son. You ever want to check up on them, you let us know. You let us know and we'll come running."

As Sharatur circles the hole, her geologist side took over - noting how smooth the bore was, with light crumbling around the sides but otherwise holding steady.

More than that, there was a sense to the hole that something was missing from the Rock that was more important than just a sampling of sandstone...

The Necronaut peered into the darkness. For a brief moment he felt like he should be should be concerned. Mysterious ancient depths, inky darkness, crushing tons of rock on every side... Somehow he couldn't muster a great deal of worry.

"I don't think we have any choice." He smiled at Sharatur. "Would you like me to ghost on ahead or... Ladies first?"

Sharatur grinned, eyes twinkling with delight. She hauled out her flashlight and turned it on. Winking at Necronaut, exclaiming "Race you to the bottom!" --and vanished almost before the second word was uttered. Reappearing within the shaft, standing on nothing, she pointed her light downward and started teleporting down as far as she could see. Which was far faster than a normal person could run; she probably would easily have won, if she hadn't almost immediately become fascinated with the walls of the shaft itself.

She stopped a few times during her descent to examine the shaft, trying to determine how it was created, what type of rock it was made of, and any other odd details she could find.

Archived