[M&M 2e - ROD] - Episode 1: The Big Box

Lady Aceworth

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Click to reveal.. (Sense Motive Check)
The Drone indeed has a one track mind, it's staying focussed on Long, even though people are shooting at it.

Click to reveal.. (Attack Result)
Miss S *rolls* 1d20: 16+10: 26
The drone staggers back, it's turret still fixed on Long.

Click to reveal.. (Damage)
2x Bruised, 2X Injured, STUNNED

Sparks shoot from a joint on the hip as it stumbles from it's gyro being temporarily offline.

Miss S gets behind a steel crate, but doesn't notice a chunk of wooden crate at her feet and stumbles, hitting her head on the steel crate, knocking her out.

Yoshi runs over and pulls her to safety.

The Drone staggers back, and the CPU manages to be dislodged from the undercarriage of the drone and falls out disconnected from the body. It hits the floor as the drone falls unto it's side.

Miss S staggers back to her feet massaging her forehead. "Oww... gotta pay attention to the terrain I think." She says, as she sees a newcomer in the room. "Oh guys... the guy in the armor is a friendly. My head's hazy at the moment, I'm recovering from a severe concussion..."

People notice Miss S' eyes are glowing a strange green color as the gash on her forehead closes up.

Click to reveal..
Free for all posting for now.

Long regards the newcomer and sheathes his claws, instead, picking up the computer and looking to the others. "Who wants to crack this egg? I can if I need to, but I'd rather not have to switch modes."

"I'm more than willing to assist, there might be information on that CPU regarding why they came here with such firepower." Miss S says, still getting the cobwebs out of her head.

Click to reveal..
The crates that are intact seem to be storing something, as well as some cylindrical cases. Also there are several dropped datapads from the scientists killed by the attackers.

Miss S starts to interface the CPU with the datapad, kitbashing a connection and motherboard patch with some metal off of the downed drone.

"Should take a minute, I can access the video file from here I think."

Click to reveal..
For the ease of all the people present, here's what can be looted.

PT Sattelite-Band Communicators w/Universal Translator (They look like cell phones with bluetooth earpieces)

MK-II PT Nautical Survival Suits (Immunity: Heat, Cold, Disease, Features: Buoyant - +5 to Swim checks) – Looks like a more primitive version of Miss S' suit, and more developed than the basic suit Sakurako was wearing during the rescue.

Water filters & Desalination Kits

Inflatable Life Jackets (275 Newton, dual-cell models)

Compact high-cal rations

First Aid Kits

Backpacks

Multiple Life Rafts (10 person models, roughly the size of a large wheeled briefcase before inflation)

Multiple emergency beacons

Yeah, whaddya expect for a maritime research facility?

A man rolls off the roof of a nearby building then straightens up. Contrary to Miss S's statement, he isn't wearing any armor, instead wearing a leather jacket. He seems vaguely familiar until he pulls a silver cylinder with a blue light at the end and points it at the containers the others are inspecting, at which point it starts making a whirring sound, causing his appearance to click.

"Hi. I'm the Doctor. Nice to meet you. Picked up some Drazi tech out here and you lot aren't supposed to have access to that sort of stuff. You wouldn't happen to have a winch on you, would you? My TARDIS fell off the platform." He looks at the team a moment before sighing. "You're not buying it, are you? Eccleston was a great Doctor and he really deserved more time in the role."

His appearance flows for a moment revealing someone who is average. Completely and utterly average. If you had an hour and three photos from different angles to work with, you would not be able to name one distinguishing characteristic. "I'm called Everyman, or John Smith, whichever you prefer. If you could hold on here a minute, I've got a couple of civilian survivors I need to retrieve."

With that, he just walks off the edge of the platform. He returns moments later with a large bundle thrown over his shoulder, which he drops at the team's feat to reveal a man suffering from mild hypothermia bundled up in several blankets.

He leaves the platform again, this time returning with a smaller bundle held in a much more comfortable position. The occasional feminine giggle can be heard from within the bundle. He sets her gently on the ground before turning back to the team.

"Sorry I couldn't get all of these guys for you." He points at the grunts. "Apparently these guys don't like coffee. They just kept getting more paranoid the more of them disappeared, until they stopped giving me opportunities. The mech was beyond the capacity of my loadout for this mission, so I had to wait for assistance to take it down."

John turns to look at the VTOL. "You wouldn't happen to have alternate transportation, would you? Or do we have to wait for another plane to be sent?"

"Oh, and I have several incapacitated soldiers, should you want to interrogate someone."

No reply immediately forthcoming, John just shrugged and walked off. He jumped on top of a building, pulling a bound and gagged figure from the top, before dragging it over and dropping it none too gently near the VTOL's wreckage.

This action was repeated several times, pulling people out of all sorts of places where they had been hidden: closets, under the platform, the roofs of buildings, even inside a couple of the crates that the others were examining. Most of them remained unconscious despite the rough treatment. Those who weren't unconscious looked like they wanted to be, and tended to be pale and a bit smelly.

The pile of mercenaries continued to grow for a few minutes before he dropped off the last one. "That's it. The rest of them are dead. I prefer not to kill unless necessary, but I hold no remorse for what I did to these scum."

Miss S looks quite suprised when the screen comes online. "Well, here we go guys! huddle around, we should take a look."

Click to reveal.. (What everyone sees)
What everyone sees is at first some movement in what seems to be the warehouse area they're in, followed by some of the guards talking to a gentleman in victorian finest, giving orders to the men. He then walks off after looking at the camera.

Since this is hard to hear over the speaker on Miss S' computer I'm going to need Notice checks to hear.

Everyone strains their ears as Miss S plays the video again, and they can hear what the man is saying.

"Alright everyone, I'm sure that that damn annoyance of mine is going to show up. Miss Curie is a radiation manipulator, so be sure to be on the lookout for radiation spikes. Also, make sure that the weather manipulator is not damaged in any firefight. If the Zero Point reactor it's attached to is damaged the whole thing may become unstable and discharge a sub-quantum variance wave and destroy the facility.

I doubt we want that.

Positions, men."

John spoke up at that point. "I know where that device is, if you want. I was wondering what it was but couldn't get a good look at it." Scratching his head self consciously, he added, "Kind of glad I decided not to try sabotaging the thing, though."

"Seems it was already used last month. That strange aurora phenomenon was spotted over the great plains of the US before a massive tornado outbreak occurred... And we've been seeing that here as well. It must be "in neutral". Might be a good time to disable it.. or..."

Miss S goes cold. "We could destroy the Zero Point reactor. After it overloads all we really have to worry about is the explosion. We just have to get clear of it. I think 30 minutes and some heavy rowing should do the trick." She says, kicking one of the containers that has a life raft in it. "Then while we're sitting we can call in that favor Sakurako gave Dash." She says, referring to that paper crane she gave her. "I can rebuild the reactor in a more secure area, although Sakurako'll probably have my head for wrecking her project."

She adjusts her suit. "Suggestions?"

"When in doubt, nuke it all. This plan has served me well many times after a mission was complete and I was ready for extraction. The only issue I raise is that these guys may have some useful information in them, but it would be hard to get the boat far enough with them on board. Frankly, I'm not sure a raft would hold them all."

"One should be enough to hold them..." She says looking at the rating. "We're only 6 strong and there's a twenty person raft over there." She says pointing to a larger crate. "We'll just have to improvise on the propulsion route... and I can deliver." She says, her hands glowing for a brief moment.

"Any objections to doing this the action movie way?"

"I know what Mr. Tesla is capable of. He probably delivered them here personally... He's that good... I... Haven't been up and up myself regarding who I am."

She sighs as she walks around the team while examining the warehouse. "I'm the clone of Marie Curie. And... I'm a British Library I-Jin clone... I broke out, similar to how you did, Dash. I had a concience, something else was driving me and I couldn't explain why. I met Sakurako Hino a short time later and we collaborated on many projects and I got to understand why she was who she was. In fact I suspect she was one of the people that helped me escape."

She adjusts her suit. "I'm sorry if I have gotten you guys involved in anything that might be against your common sense. After we leave, if you decide not to continue on, I understand. I'll release you from your contracts with no issues and double the severance package."

"I'm here till the mission's over, and that's that."

He looked at Miss S and shrugged. "Doesn't matter how you came into this world, it's what you do while you're here. You and will have a talk about Sakurako later, but for now let's shut this thing down, and save the day. Talking about much else won't matter if we don't do that."

Miss S heads out the back side of the warehouse, signalling to Dash and the rest of the party to follow along.

"Be careful... the wind's rougher outside now since we arrived... I think the machine is ratcheting up for something. Just keep an eye on your footing."

Indeed the wind was howling. Nothing like a hurricane, but it was strong and getting stronger it felt the closer she got. She decides to wait at the other side to keep watch for everyone else to see if any trouble occurs.

John seemed to get a little shorter and thicker as he followed behind, shifting his center of gravity to be less susceptible to the wind.

Click to reveal..
I also shift a point over to invulnerability: electricity, just in case

As Miss S fumbled around with the main door to the generator facility, she gets flustered, and blasts the lock with a concentrated blast of radiation, almost like a welding torch with the heat of a white hot star backing it.

"Damn technology, sometimes I just want to... grr..."

She forces the door open with her hands and waves the team in. What they see is a large, cavernous spherical room as large as the facility. In the center is a series of concentric rings, spinning around each other seemingly focusing a brilliant array of energy on a single point in the center of the whirring mass.

Around the device in the center are a series of boxes wired up to the generator, and they seem to hum with an electromagnetic static so strong everyone in the room can hear it in their heads as a low static, enough to even cause their vision to become slightly grainy.

"Don't worry about the EM fields in here, it's been worse. Just don't get within 2 meters of the central generator. The magnetic and gravitic force is strong enough to pull you into the event horizon of the zero point reaction. And be careful of those boxes, I think those are the foreign devices added on. I'll have to check them first for traps."

Archived