[M&M 2e - ROD] - Episode 1: The Big Box

Lady Aceworth

Prologue - North Sea Platform PT-1, Late Morning

Another job well done. I have increased my capability in several ways now by taking this generator. And right near where I can control everything in this region of Europe. All the chaos on this platform though has left me vulnerable. These guards are a crutch for my true talent. Although to be honest having these brutes helps in my effort in at least making things... expedient. Unfortunately with such brutality, the rats leave their ship in a faster manner. I have suspicion my true target has gotten away.

No matter, she's provided the bait. I know some quarry will arrive and she will be found wanting. Miss S will be dead before afternoon tea.

Standing at a overlooking catwalk over the stormy north sea, a gentleman dressed in victorian manner looks out on the fog covered horizon. An electrical field protecting him from the elements generated by his cane.

Once again... my genius... fulfilled.

He rises up and flies off to the north, but not before admonishing his guards to be on the lookout.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miss S walks up to the VTOL she's taken care of for a couple years now. It was a design of her own. Jet turbines on a swivel, mach capable, large passenger and cargo space, to her... it was a work of art. The landing pad sits at the top of Poseidon Technology's headquarters, the skyline of Cardiff, Wales stretches below. One could see the Millennium center and the Roald Dahl plass if they looked.

"So... just gotta wait for the rest of the team to get up here." She mumbles. "I got a appointment to keep with a wayward sea platform." She says rocking back and forth on her heels.

She had briefed with them earlier, and sent them off to requisition supplies or simply prepare for the trip. She didn't realize how long they'd take.

Now it's open.

"Not sure. The rest of the team was coming up from the quartermaster or what not. Hopefully none got a case of the montezumas before this.

You... don't look comfortable in that suit." Miss S asks, looking Ryu over. "Maybe it still sort of remembers my body type?"

"I grow a tail, two feet in height, and two hundred kilos of mass when I shift. Ever worn really tight clothing before? imagine having is shred itself against you."

He shrugged. "It is largely unpleasant. That's why I warned you if we had to fight, you probably wouldn't be getting this back."

"The suit should adapt, actually. Hell for fun one time I hooked some helium tanks to my suit and managed to get it to stretch enough to get me just barely off the ground. I ran out of helium before I even heard a single squeak from my suit in stress. With the way the suit can also adapt to a growing tail... I doubt there should be any problems."

"We'll see then." He looked back to the building. "So what was she doing out there? As far as the company is concerned she was still in Tokyo, gearing up for the next big product launch."

His tone wasn't accusatory, but definitely inquisitive.

"She was working on a new power generation paradigm. When she goes all out, the girl breaks the mold as it were." Miss S says. "She mentioned something about zero point energy before contact was lost. Thank god she's alive and not captured or... worse."

She adjusts her suit slightly and clears her throat. "But that's beside the point, we should be getting set in the VTOL."

"I think that would be the least of our worries. Before we take off I'll let you in on the particulars. Some evidence I gleaned off of a piece of wreckage Sakurako had in a pocket on her survival suit.

To give you a leap ahead... it was magnetized."

She says this so Ryu can hear as well.

"Needless to say, whoever did this has some access to high-grade electrical weaponry or worse, is a match for Sakurako herself."

"Not really."

She pulls up a sattelite picture on her I-Pad and zooms in. "See the eye of that fog bank? It's right over the platform. I wager a overhead approach to landing pad #2 will get us there easy."

She adjusts her suit. "And if we get shot down in the clear zone we'll have a better chance of swimming to the platform since we'll be only 100 meters away. The chop is still bad down there so be prepared for that if it comes down to it."

She starts to get a nagging feeling she's forgetting something.

Ren had been standing by the VOTL for a while now. In a sense he was glad Sakurako had pulled her bizarre little stunt with his cigarette, it meant he was able to admire the vehicle for longer as he smoked away from her craziness.

He made one last circuit of the VOTL before snuffing out his most recent cigarette. “You will have to let me take this bird for a spin one day.” He said as he stepped into the vehicle. He let the cigarettes remains drop from his gloved hand not seeming to care about the litter, but instead of hitting the floor it just seemed to drop through and disappear without much fuss.

Miss S thumps on the inside cabin of her VTOL "Well maybe you'll get a chance today, Ren? My usual pilot called in sick and I'm no pilot. You game?"

She all of a sudden looks like a bolt from the blue hit her. "Oh yeah forgot I had this..." She says, grabbing a package off the front pilot seat. "See the suit our man Ryu over there is wearing? Here. Don't say I don't give you nothing. Just jump into the outhouse near the launch pad to change. I recommend going down to your skivvies before putting it on."

She mumbles to herself, in a slight growl. "forgot I had more of these lying around! I must have stored them here for the team... no wonder I forgot, I didn't have them in the usual spots."

Dash waited where he was, not moving for a suit. "Don't need one, I have my own. No need to strip and change and waste time anyway." He paused as he considered that such a comment might distract Miss S again, dammit! He decided to concentrate on the platform images and figure out a plan of attack once they arrived...

Click to reveal..

Knowledge: Tactics roll

Taking 10

10+8= 18

[Miss S] 3:37 pm: Okay you got an 18, I'll give you a +2 circumstance bonus for a solid 20.

Total: 20

Originally Posted By: Dash Carpenter
He decided to concentrate on the platform images and figure out a plan of attack once they arrived...

Click to reveal.. (Here's what you see...)
You notice the facility is laid out in a triangular shape with hexagonal platform pads. Platform 2 is in the center "bottom" of the triangle, but you still have to move through one of the two platforms between the landing site and the main platform. I'll post a diagram below.
Code:
 \
  A
 / \
2   MP
 \ /
  B
 /

The layout when going to land at platform 2 is a good location to land because you can see what's happening at A and B, and have defensible positions. You cannot see what's on the platform itself since the quality of the image is low.

Miss S itches her nose as she walks over to Dash. "See... anything you like?" She says, quirking an eyebrow and taking a tone showing interest more in him than his plans.

Ren had spent many years training, included time spent resisting torture and hiding his true motives. Yet with all that he still couldn’t help grinning like a schoolboy at the prospect of taking the VTOL up in the air. “Certainly ma’am, and don‘t worry I won‘t hold us up.”

He pretty much vaulted into the pilot seat after grabbing up the package. He felt the seat obscured himself enough from the others so he quickly took off his shirt and trousers. He put the suit on just as fast. All the others saw was the shirt and trousers getting thrown to the floor at the side of the pilots seat and then vanish. “It’s a snug fit that’s for sure.”

He let at a low whistle as he looked over the cockpit. “Its ok baby your in good hands now.” He said quietly to the plane.

"Just remember Ren, my usual pilot says the bird tends to buck in transition to forward flight mode. You'll want to nudge the control stick slightly back to allow the nose to have a slight flare during transition."

She says all this still looking over Dash's shoulders.

"I wonder what Dash's favorite Shakespearean play is..."

Dash closed his eyes and tried willing Miss S to go away and stop being sexually interested in him. No dice. He opened them and decided on evasive action when talking. "Macbeth. Story of my life if you think about in the the right way. Not to mention I can visualize Lady Macbeth very easily."

It wasn't Miss S, and she should know who he really meant.

Yoshi

If Sakurako had recovered enough to snap at someone, she was probably going to be fine. Although sharing her attitude towards smoking and smokers, he put the incident out of his mind in favor of more immediate needs. He still had little idea what was going on, but he had promised Miss S. intel, and intel she would get.

He instructed his bots to follow him and wait for transport, quietly keying in the command for the scouting model to begin data acquisition. Miss S. may not be interested in recording the interaction of his new team-mates, but he didn't know anyone here.

Yoshi was grateful, at least, to be spared the byplay between Miss S. and Dash. He ruffled the synthetic fur on the robo-dogs' heads for comfort before quietly leaving for the platform where transportation awaited. At least transport on the VTOL would afford him the opportunity to study its systems, and perhaps incorporate something useful into a design of his own.

"Ah Yoshi! You're here! Finally... now we can get rolling on this. I'm sure everyone knows at the very least what they're doing en route... Ren's got the piloting duties down cold, Long and Dash... will be pretty much in their seats probably chomping at the bit for some action and you've got the job of engineer with your bots. The extra sensors I'm sure will be a help..."

She adjusts her goggles. "And it looks like you won't need a suit like Ryu or Ren. Good..."

She takes her seat in the co-pilot position. pressing a few locations on a foreward flat screen. "Okay, get the last of your stuff on board we're leaving right now!" Miss S says as the engines revv to life and the back doors close after everyone gets on board.

"Okay Ren, you have the conn. Take her out slow at first..."

Ren puts the hammer down and the VTOL hits max speed in mere minutes of mach 3.

Click to reveal..
Pausing the thread for right now. If combat happens I don't think it can be resolved before I have to vamoose. So just hang in there... until next tuesday.

Click to reveal..
Now back to our program...

The Poseidon Technologies VTOL begins hovering down to land on Platform 2 of the large research facility. The main facility can be seen in the distance through the rain and wind, looking like a heavily modified oil derrick.

Miss S is the first to open the back door after Ren lands the aircraft.

"Okay guys, we gotta get careful... we don't know what we might expect. Group up over near those crates and keep your heads down!" Miss S shouts before heading off first.

Click to reveal..
I want everyone to roll initiative please. You will act in this thread in the order determined by your initiative rolls for this part of the adventure. Also state any actions you take when you roll initiative. Do not post again until I post the final initiative order. Thank you.

Dash immediately moved for the cover of the crates, crouching behind them with practiced and lithe ease. The assault rifle was in his hands with rapid speed, and he carefully looked out across the waters, scanning the platforms ahead for any hostiles.

Click to reveal.. (OOC)

Dash's Initiative

Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 14+3: 17

Notice check

Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 15+8: 23

Long stormed out and took cover, Hiding behind the crates, making sure they weren't explosive or flamable first. He prepared to activate his awakened form if the need arose.

Click to reveal..
init

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 8+12: 20

notice check

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 11+7: 18

Click to reveal.. (Long)
You see two walkways leading from the VTOL pad heading to hexagonal (by your reckoning) shaped terminals between the landing platform and the main research platform. You see, for a moment what looks like movement but you cannot tell.

Click to reveal.. (Dash)
You see what Long sees, but they moving forms are people in full-body black or grey suits running from either sub-platform into positions on their side of the walkways at the sub-platform to the right.

Miss S looks around, trying to peer through the inclimate conditions. "Guys... let them come to us. They'll have to go through a choke point to get to us. Hold for now."

Click to reveal..
Let's wait for Yoshi and Ren.

As Ren brought the VTOL in for a textbook landing a look of serious consentration replaced the grin he had while flying. he would have to leave the showboating till their return journy.

Leaving the VTOL he found his way to some cover and croutched behind it. Nabbing a decent spot to steady his rifle he sighted in the direction the others were looking.

"Ready when you say." He reported.

Click to reveal.. (Initiative)
Click to reveal.. (Notice)

"We are going to need caution here, Ren. For now keep an eye on the VTOL until we move foreward. Make sure no one gets behind us." Miss S says, pulling out a strange looking rifle-looking device from her bag she took along for the trip.

Click to reveal.. (Ren)
Ren, you see the movement and the details Long saw, but you aren't as of yet, able to see the men heading towards the landing platform enough to get good shots of them. At least S calling them out helped.

Click to reveal.. (INITIATIVE ORDER)
Ryu - 20
Dash - 17
Ren - 12
Enemy - Acts before Miss S
Miss S - Defers to act last in order before Yoshi
Yoshi - Initative 1, defensive, 5 turn clock

Please post your defense totals, and current condition in a spoiler at the start or end of every post, please.

Miss S looks from behind a steel crate and sees bullets almost take her nose off. "DAMMIT! They got rifles! Watch yourselves!"

Long swore. "So be it." The sounds of muscle and bone popping and expanding was all anyone heard, and then a rapid implosion of air where Long had been. He appeared where he'd seen the motion, and attacked the soldier he'd found there, his claws flashing out at them.

Click to reveal..

current power scheme

Supersense infravision

Reflex +6

Fort +4

Will+4

Strike 10 penetrating

Teleport 3 turnabout

attack+10

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 7+10: 17

damage is 10 penetrating

Long's to hit is a total of 20

The guard is caught by surprise seeing what was supposed to be still hiding in his face and very angry. The blow Ryu lands staggers him back, blood flying everywhere as Ryu's claws find purchase in his chest armor.

Click to reveal.. (ENEMY CONDITIONS)

G#1 - Long's Opponent - Staggered, Disabled, Stunned

G#2

G#3

G#4

G#5

G#6

G#7

G#8

Dash seemed hardly ruffled by the shooting and was already in position before the shots came by. "Keep your head on... a professional sniper would have removed your nose at the least..." So saying with sangfroid, he leveled his P-90 and opened fire upon the suited goons on the platform.

Click to reveal..

Targeting G#2

Master Marksman -> Blast 10

Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 13+10: 23

Defenses:

Defense DC 20

Impervious Protection 6- Ignores +5 and less attacks... including rifles, unless these aren't standard rifles.

Click to reveal.. (Dash)
I'm considering the P90 to have Autofire 2 as part of it's build. You are also using penetrating rounds (Teflon coat FTW).

Dash looks down the reflex scope of his P90, and levels it on the crowd of guards, taking particular interest in one of the forward guards, he pulls the trigger and the sound of what could be mistaken as a buzz-saw is heard from it's muzzle. Blood soon accompanies the sound as blood and brain matter spray upward.

G#2
G#3
G#4
G#5 - Dash's Target - TANGO DOWN
G#6
G#7
G#8

Click to reveal..
Ren has allowed to have me act in his stead. As such I will take the best possible action for him.

Ren goes prone under the Vtol, using the swiveled engines for cover he leans around and down the scope of his sniper rifle he sees a clean target and aims for the head. The bullet hits the helmet of his target and rocks him back hard.

G#2
G#3
G#4
G#6
G#7
G#8 - Ren's Target - Staggered, Disabled, and Stunned

The guards swivel their rifles on Ryu, knowing he's the closest, and most dangerous, enemy at the moment. The open fire as best they can on the nightmare in front of them.

Click to reveal.. (ENEMY ATTACKS - 5 GUARDS)
Sakurako *rolls* 1d20: 20+5: 25

Sakurako *rolls* 1d20: 15+5: 20

Sakurako *rolls* 1d20: 3+5: 8

As they shoot, they immediately realize the gravity of their situation as the humanoid tigerform turns to them, and shrugs off every bullet.

Click to reveal..

G#2 - INTIMIDATED

G#3 - INTIMIDATED

G#4 - INTIMIDATED

G#6 - INTIMIDATED

G#7 - INTIMIDATED

You guys now get a +2 morale bonus to all attack rolls to hit.

Miss S levels her high-tech looking rifle on the enemy, and what sounds like a lightning bolt crashes into the demoralized squad, hitting one guard square in the chest. The sight is a bloody mess as her rail rifle cores a guard and penetrates through in and hits a partner behind him.

Click to reveal..

G#2 - INTIMIDATED

G#3 - TANGO DOWN

G#4 - Miss S' Target - Stunned, Bruised Injured

G#6 - INTIMIDATED

G#7 - INTIMIDATED

Yoshi hides in the VTOL, guarding it from any potential sneak attack.

Click to reveal..
4 TURNS

Long snarls as the bullets spang off of him, and his big pearly white fangs bared, The guards were simply not prepared for him. Leaving the injured man he leapt at one of the ones backing away in fear.

He said nothing, simply cutting a swath of destruction through them.

Click to reveal..
attacking one of the intimidated guards, trusting compatriots to handle the others.

Attack +12

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 19+12: 31

Damage 10 penetrating

Click to reveal.. (ENEMY CONDITION)
G#1 - Staggered, Disabled, Stunned
G#2 - Ryu's new target - Stunned, Bruised, Injured
G#3 - TANGO DOWN
G#4 - Miss S' Target - Stunned, Bruised, Injured
G#6 - INTIMIDATED
G#7 - INTIMIDATED

Ryu backhands another guard, sending him flying into a wall. Ryu can hear the distinctive sound of ribs and armor breaking from his blow.

Dash grinned unnervingly and chuckled. "Amateurs... these men go down easily." Easy as Ryu was fired on, he shrugged off the bullets and Dash observed. "Most resilient of him." More gunfire rattled from his P-90.

Click to reveal..

Master Marksman -> Blast 10, aiming for an Intimidated guard

Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 19+12: 31

Same defenses.

Dash unloads his P90 on another guard, doing a controlled 3 round burst he hits the head of one of the guards that were still a threat. The shot drops him, and it looks like for good.

G#2 - Ryu's target - Stunned, Bruised, Injured

G#3 - TANGO DOWN

G#4 - Stunned, Bruised, Injured

G#5 - TANGO DOWN

G#6 - TANGO DOWN

G#7 - INTIMIDATED

Ren levels his rifle and finishes off his target with extreme prejudice. Blood flies from his head as he falls over into the water below.

G#2 - Ryu's target - Stunned, Bruised, Injured

G#3 - TANGO DOWN

G#4 - Stunned, Bruised, Injured

G#5 - TANGO DOWN

G#6 - TANGO DOWN

G#7 - INTIMIDATED

G#8 - GET A LIFE GUARD! TANGO DOWN!

Archived