Marvel Universe meets Diablo

marvel-mmo.jpgMarvel Universe meets Diablo

What do you get when a former Diablo developer tackles superheroes? The Marvel Universe MMO, free-to-play online superhero goodness (and villain badness, maybe) led by David Brevik of Diablo and Blizzard North fame. The storyline(s) are being handled by Brian Michael Bendis, who created the whole concept of the Marvel "Ultimate Universe" and I can't stress enough that it's supposed to be free. DC and Sony have made DCU not free. As in expensive. Very, very expensive. And, being Sony, insecure.

Bargle. Nothing is free, clearly. If there's no subscription fee, you can bet they're making their money in microtransaction fees. Want that nice power? Three bucks. Extra life? That's two.

For some reason, I find games using this model to be...bothersome. It seems disingenous to me to market a game as free...then charge for the tools required to actually play the game.

I can deal with that. That's at least an honest price that I, as a consumer, can say yes or no to.

Microfees are this nebulous vortex where theres no real price...just a never-ending series of "options" that despite being optional, are still basically required to get much out of the game.

Sorta like Champions Online is now. Want a costume piece? Pay for it. Want a particular character class? Make with the green. You like that power? You know what to do.

Blargh.

Only one I consistently go back to now and then is City of Heroes every couple of months, and WoW once a year.

That said, Warhammer Online was fun too, and I live in hope eternal that SW:ToR will restore the fun times I used to have in SWG before Sony raped my delicate gaming sensibilities with their revamp.

Originally Posted By: Einherjar

That said, Warhammer Online was fun too, and I live in hope eternal that SW:ToR will restore the fun times I used to have in SWG before Sony raped my delicate gaming sensibilities with their revamp.

Amen to that - once they published the so called NGE SWG died. And they even admitted that it was the worst decision they ever made. It turned an unique MMO into a mainstream third class clone... sigh, I really loved that game.

I really hope SWTOR can recapture some of that.

Originally Posted By: Titan
Neverwinter Nights still is fun as hell after 9 years, and all I ever paid was the original price, plus expansions. Currently, I play on the RP server ' Arelith ', and it rocks ass.

I play Neverwinter Nights 2. And yeah, all the servers are free... the only problem is finding a decent server that doesn't have a bunch of 12 year old idiots on it.

I pretty much refuse to play anything with microtransactions. I know myself and cannot resist the marketed temptations.

The only mmorpg I still play is Asheron's Call, which at 11 years old is still kickin and still has monthly updates. I have yet to find something that I enjoy as much as it.

I find it hilarous that Asheron's is still going, but Asheron's Call II was cancelled.

As for micro-transactions, I like them, but a company has to be careful or they will piss off their players and seem greedy.

SW - I love Star Wars, went back a couple years ago and played for about 6 months and was very impressed with the improvements that had been made since the great screwup of NGE. I still think Star Wars Galaxies has the best housing system of any MMO I've seen. Hope some other cool game eventually gets the clue and puts out a game with one as good or better.

But my all time most addictive MMO to play is Gemstone IV. It's text based fantasy game and it costs money to play, but it's been around for over 20 years and it has paid GMs whose job is to improve the game, run storylines, create unique items, etc. Hell, it's been around since 1989 and people are still willing to pay $15 bucks a month for text. That says something right there.

Archived