Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Everybody Hates The Warlock

Toby Lupin

After Aria had left, Darrik had left Flicker be and went to talk with Ms. Nekomone. Obviously, being born a warlock was what it was in this school, but being so clearly and credibly threatened as to his life being at risk? Trouble with a capital T. Hence, a private chat with Ms. Nekomone, he could have went to see the headmaster, but it was simpler to see her, and she would unlike most of the other teachers, actually care.

Shizuka had finished all her paperwork and was getting ready to finally go home when she heard a knock at her office door. "Come in Darrik."

Sometimes she reminded people that she was actually a Yokai like the rest of them. Her sense of smell was incredible, enough that she knew who was at her door without ever opening it.

"As if I could do anything else?" Darrik shook his head darkly. "No, this is quite serious in nature actually, I'd take this one as a credible threat. A little bit ago, Flicker reappeared from... wherever he was. I didn't know what he happened to be snooping into or was at at the time... Back in my room, frightened and-"

This made Darrik grow heated and angry "-tortured. He'd received so many cuts like he'd been incessantly whipped, though I can't imagine how they arrived there. His memory was wiped clean as can be of all that had happened except a message he repeated back to me."

"Your efforts to spy upon your fellows have not gone unnoticed. If I catch you doing it again, your friends won't be able to save you. This your only warning."

"Then he dropped out cold. Give the content of that message... I spoke to Aria and warned her about this... now I thought I should let you know."

He saw her eyes flicker, and then narrow. "I see." She stood up and looked out the window.

"Is there anyone you know of Darrik who would wish you harm?"

She looked deep in thought. "There are a number of monsters capable of this, and we have over a dozen of each here at the academy, save dragons."

"Yes, but there's not a single scent or even aura out of place here Darrik. Ever since we found out the truth of Kyohei's heritage, I've been looking. I've gone over everywhere I as faculty can, and there's nothing out of place."

She sighed. "I have a hunch, but if I act on it, it would cause a great commotion, and if I'm wrong it would greatly embarrass the school."

"What I want you to do is go to the Library, and ask for "The book of lost secrets." It should help some, just keep it to yourself, and be dilligent with it. You'll only have 2 days."

"Ok, get the Book of Lost Secrets, I have only two days with it, don't mention you. Right... thanks. If you'll excuse me..." Darrik made his farewell to the teacher and left for the library, moving with a contemplative pace. If something with such a title needed to be consulted, how obscure was the secrets he would need to find?

Arriving at the libray, he made his request. The librarian had him sign his name, and then returned with a small black-leather-bound grimore, one that required a key. She handed him the key.

"You have two days Darrik, then the book must be returned, or else. Be careful what you ask it, for the power is limited. If you push to far, you will use up your time too fast."

Darrik nodded, though he really didn't understand what she meant. It had to be magical, the book, but did it answer questions? Perhaps... He took both the book and the key, thanked the librarian, and left. Once he had safely returned to his room, he began thinking of things to ask, before opening the book with the key.

Darrik crossed his legs, and supposed he needed to ask questions of the book. He took a moment to compose himself and his voice. Time to start with the mysterious murderer of Saizo. "Is there any record of a being with a face of a white jester's mask?"

Darrik stared at the name of their foe intently... was this Isamu Noriega a spirit of the dead now? Or something else... But what would motivate this Noriega's involvement with the school, assuming it was still Noriega? "Tell me everything you know about Isamu Noriega."

"Halfblood Shinigami." It was a race that was always spoken of in hushed tones, if it was spoken of at all. The Shinigami were entities that ensured life and death were maintained in balance. Few knew much of them, and only a handful of monsters had met one face to face.

There were real spirits, and it was said that the Shinigami ruled them. What was more intriguing, of course was his status as a halfblood. How did something that was essentially a spirit produce a living child?

An invisible curse escaped Darrik's lips, as he considered what they were dealing with. A Shinigami of all things, or more precisely, a halfblood? That question he would have to look up, as well as the information there was on Shinigami in the library period. But one more question... perhaps the question of issue could be settled with this...

"Who were the parents of Isamu Noriega?"

Sokatsu... Sokatsu?

Half out of shock, half out of disbelief- plus a desire to save what power in the book there was left, Darrik immediately shut and bound it up. Searching for a secure strongbox in his dresser, Darrik shut away the Book of Lost Secrets and the key. His breathing took on a heightened edge.

By the Valley, a Shinigami, halfblooded at that... and possibly related to Kyohei? This... looked worrisome. Darrik looked at the pendant the Headmaster had given, but resisted the urge to break it.

He got up and left for the Headmaster's office. He had to hear this.

The trip to the headmaster's office was short, though it was Ruby, the only memmber of the faculty who was a Witch, that met him. She also served as the Headmaster's secretary. "Is there something I can help you with, Darrik?"

Where Darrik focused on the shadows, Ruby controlled wind, and her spells had a certain avian quality at times as well.

"Shame..." Darrik murmured frustratedly... "This is when I need him to be." His hand gripped together tightly before deciding to leave it be. "Fine, please tell him I need to talk with him soon, in person, urgently, Ruby." With a brief wave goodbye and farewells exchanged, Darrik set off for- well he didn't know.

Perhaps Kyohei, though how he could discuss the subject without arousing the other boy's intentions was a difficult question. He supposed a talk needed to be had.

Darrik sighed and left to track down Kyohei. He didn't want to have to speak to the other boy, but with the Headmaster unavailable, there seemed to be little choice. If he wondered why Darrik was asking familial questions... this wasn't the first time. And he will know, not now though.

Darrik sat on a bleacher stand, patiently waiting for Kyohei to finish up. It was clear from his body language that he was doing so, but it also gave him some last moments to think. He couldn't start just by flat out asking... For that matter, he wondered whether he could raise the topic of Kyohei's sisters to him carefully. Let alone the boy's mother.

His friend had quite the dangerous lineage, not to mention the potential of having Saizo's killer as a relative...

Darrik crossed his legs and regarded Kyohei with a quietly curious expression. "I've...been doing some research, and there's something you might be able to answer."

Hell, here goes nothing. "Is there anyone related to you named Keiko Sokatsu?"

Well, that was simple, unfortunately. Unfortunate for not just the reason of lineage. Darrik had lost a grandmother too, a fact which he honestly pointed out. "Shame. Mine died several years ago. How did your grandfather take it? Grandfather Marius is only coming out of seclusion now."

"He trained us harder. Me, Aoi, Haruna, and Karoma. Before he would simply make us practice. After she died, we each were lead to different specialties."

He grabbed a towel. "Best not to say anymore here though I think."

"We can talk more about it in my room, if you like, though you're gonna have to give me a little time, I gotta get cleaned up before Yuuki gets done today."

He nodded. "You can stay for dinner too if you like."

Darrik nodded with a faint smile that hid his concerns. "You'll have that time. There's something I need to look up in the library anyway."

The Shingami were an unknown factor, but there HAD to be something other than the Book of Lost Secrets on them. He hoped so. Darrik hopped off the bleachers.

"I'll drop by later to talk and mooch dinner off you, till then, seeya."

Archived