Star Wars: The New Sith Empire - Episode 2a: Forks in the Road

Dave ST

[Joram and Company]

Within their ship the Jedi sat patiently, formulating a strategy together that they could all agree on for their next move. Joram and his entourage entered silently but it came as no surprise when the assembled Jedi all raised their heads in unison at their approach.

“Padawan Joram, hello.” Master Imei said in the deep tone of his native Ithorian language. The wise old Ithorian was about s optimistic as one could get and his faith in the Force was well known. “How is it we can we assist you?” He asked slowly and with the tone that told them that the old man never spoke any faster than was needed to have his words heard. “And you have brought company, greetings friends. Please, sit.”

The old Ithorian was as slow as molasses on Hoth as he gestured for them to sit in the few empty seats. Joram couldn’t help but notice Master Udo-Mal’s empty seat and a lump grew in his throat. “I know Padawan Joram,” Master Imei offered calmly. “I already miss him too, but let us not focus on what we have lost but instead all he has given us.”

“What can we do for you Joram?” Master Masu-ka, Joram’s appointed master, spoke up. Although generally free spirited with an unlimited supply of sarcasm and self-confidence, the beautiful twi’lek woman’s expression carried the same heavy weight of loss and mourning that all the masters wore, except Icei Avi who remained unphased by the events, insisting on pushing forward and resolving the tasks at hand. The s’kytri simply looked upon the arrivals with a glare of scrutiny, like they were interrupting something.

[Dari]

“Actually Lady Telena, I do have something for you.” Jax spoke calmly but his tones and pauses told her that he was thinking, working, and talking all at once. “It’s not from the base, but I have a faint ion trail, only several minutes old. It’s on the far end of the jungle, opposite where the Sith shuttles landed. The ships gone now, but it’s vector looks like it was enroute to Daragon’s Trail, which doesn’t surprise me I guess, considering it leads to Korriban. That help you any?”

Click to reveal..
Sound off everyone. If I missed you it’s because I have no idea what your PC upto at the moment. It’s been a few months, so help me in resetting the scenes…

Puck settled in with the Jedi, always hovering near Hana. She was, at least for the moment, his Jedi-Padawan-hot girl he was following around. Same thing. Besides, if he lived to tell anyone he actually knew about this, he'd be a legend. Sort of. His life seemed to be heading into a large number of grey areas lately; Hana was probably at least mostly to blame for that. Pretty women, he sighed mentally. So much trouble, but she's just...adorable. Not my usual thing, but everyone's got their random, right?

So it was with such weighty thoughts that the lanky young man allowed Joram and Hana to take the lead with the assembled Jedi Masters.

Joram understood the masters in the room as well as it was possible. They were each handling the loss in their own way, but he appreciated the effort they made, most of them anyway. Icy was just like that he knew. He did his best to push aside the irriatation at the Master's seemingly uncaring attitude telling himself that Icy was feeling it too, just not letting it show... that was just how some people dealt with loss.

He tried to avoid looking at that empty seat, but he kept finding himself turning toward the chair where the Grandmaster would normally sit.

With a barely audible sigh, he turned back to his own master as he made the introductions, "Masters, this is Jedi Padawan Hana and her companion Puck. They just walked out of the jungle after the action was over, they claim to have escaped from one of the Sith ships during the battle."

He turned to Hana and gave her a slight smile and a shrug as if to say 'I believe you, but I still have to report the facts.'

Hana bowed deeply to the gathered council, aware of the sorrow permeating the room. One didn’t need to even touch the Force to feel the impact of the recent loss. It filled the room like a physical presence, touching lightly on everyone there. Or so it seemed to Hana.

“Padawan Hana, who was your master?” Master Icei’s question was fired off like a blaster.

“Master Jedi Bant,” Hana said, her voice even despite the grief that filled her heart. He’d been all she’d known for so long; his loss, even months later, was like a wound.

“He is unfamiliar to me,” Masu-ka spoke, her lovely eyes watching Hana.

“We spent much time moving,” Hana confessed. “We avoided other Jedi.”

“As I recall, Master Bant was a Mon Calamari,” Imei said, his voice finally entering the conversation.

Hana relaxed at the information that someone remembered her Master. “He was, Master,” she said, nodding to the older Jedi. With a little smile, she quickly laid out her basic history: how Bant had found her and raised her, both as a father and a Jedi. “We were captured by the Sith on Kegan; he wouldn’t yield and they killed him. I was captured. I was being transported from Kegan to a Sith prison when the ship crashed. Puck carried me out and I awoke in the jungle not far from here.”

“Your young friend is strong in the Force,” Masu-ka said, her voice bland, non-judgmental, yet suggestive.

“Puck is Sith,” Hana confirmed. Hoping she was making the right decision, she quickly raised her voice to be heard over any hue and cry. She inched closer to him, her stance edging toward protective. “Masters, he was the only one of my captors to treat me with respect and kindness, and he pulled me from the burning ship. I ask that we grant him the same courtesies he has shown me.”

And that was my fifteen minutes. And 'as much respect'? I hope they have nicer cells than the ship did. And better food. Outwardly he gave a laconic shrug and held out his hands, "It's true. Hana was way more interesting than anyone else on that ship, so when things went downward I figured she was a better shipmate than anyone else. She wanted to join up with the other Jedi, so we came here. Do with that what you will."

He kept his posture carefully neutral, making no move for any of the weapons tucked into the ripped remains of his clothes nor calling on the Force in any direct way. He would admit he was cocky, but suicide by Jedi Council had never been high on his list of ways to die. "If it matters, I'm not a spy and if your rebellion actually manages to survive after the planet is evacuated, I'd be inclined to follow along and help for a while." He gave Hana a smirk, "So long as she does, too. The Sith have gotten lazy. They could use some riling up, if you lot can actually do it."

He'd said something similar to Hana once, when he'd been watching her on a solo shift. Jedi are at their best when people disrespect them just enough to keep them away from stifling the galaxy with order. Sith are at their best when they have to claw their way up for every scrap of power. Right now, each side is playing the other's strengths; it makes the Jedi fanatical and the Sith lazy. Oh, check-mate. He never technically cheated at holochess, but he had a knack for distracting her from his moves whenever she started to win. Flirting worked wonderfully, most of the time.

"Sith?" Icei Avi said through narrowed eyes as she swiftly stood up, her fists clenched. Her glare caught Hana and it was enough to send a chill down the young woman's spine. "He will be detained for questioning and his fate will be decide-"

"Need I remind you," Master Uthae, the Council's battle hardened Weapon Master spoke up over the cold tones of her fellow Jedi. She was a middle aged woman but the Force kept her youthful and full of energy. The sleeves of her robes were removed, exposing well muscled arms. "Guardian Avi, that it is the responsibility of the Council to pass sentencing in times of war against Force-Users and that you declined this council's offer to promote you to the title of Master. So please, until such time as we extend the offer again, and you accept, we'll keep our own Council as to who to be detained and whose fate is to be decided."

There was an uncomfortable silence in the room for a moment. Indeed Master Uthae was the only one among the Council who was brave enough to speak yo Icei in such a matter-of-fact tone, but even new comers like Hana and Puck could tell that the s'kytri woman was not one to be handled with kids gloves.

"Awkward..." Master Masu-ka sighed, giving Joram a playful roll of her eyes.

Fuming, Icei Avi stormed out of the chamber in the direction of the living quarters, her wings twitched betraying her irritation and frustration.

"We're sorry you guys had to see that," The yellow-skinned twi'lek master offered an apologetic smile, which coming from her appeared positively angelic. "Even our family has it's disagreements, sometimes."

"Moving on." Master Imei said calmly. The two found his voice incredibly soothing. Deep and monotone it just carried from one word to the next, dispelling the strange awkwardness of the situation. "Padawan Hana, may you find succor among our ranks. You are, of course, welcome among us."

Puck had to grin, at least inwardly. He knew enough about the Jedi to know that they honestly couldn't touch him. Sure, they could detain him, and of course they'd try to convince him to join them, but in the grand scheme of things Puck had yet to commit and great sin in their eyes. As an individual and a Force-User he was free to choose whichever side of the Force his destiny had in store for him, and until such time as his actions attracted the notice of the Jedi, he was a free man.

"Odd..." Master Masu-ka spoke softly as she gazed at Puck. "I sense no anger within him, only..."

"Curiosity." Iemi finished her sentence for her. "Master Puck," Iemi stood up slowly, letting his old bones situate themselves with silent complaints. "We offer you our thanks in returning Hana to us. Surely you can understand that letting you follow along for 'awhile' raises some doubt among the Council. We can not have you up and leaving with our agenda when your whims spirit you off. We are at war, and by title you are the enemy yet through action you have proven ally, if Hana agrees then you may remain with her as her guardian. Accept our hospitality and we hope you take the time to understand our ways and teachings."

"For now, however," Uthae's glare shot into Puck. Admittedly his constantly calm expression and suave coolness irritated her to no end already: she couldn't stand people as confident as Puck. "We ask that you share what you know of the Sith forces that are in orbit. We're preparing an evacuation and we need to know what we're up against."

None present were fools and it was obvious that the council didn't trust Puck and nor did they fully trust Hana's story, yet. Sith spies, even one taking the identity of a former Master's Padawan were not uncommon among the list of underhanded tricks the Sith have pulled in times of war. For now however, it was all they had.

He put a hand on Hana's shoulder, squeezing it reassuringly now that it didn't seem like he was about to get beheaded by an errant lightsaber "accident," at least until the Guardian came back.

"Just a single Star Destroyer," he told the council. "With a little bit of coordination, you shouldn't have any problem escaping. You're going to have to do a bit more to really get the blockades and fleets sent out after you." It was said mildly and could have been either tongue-in-cheek teasing or a serious statement. "Although with what I saw when Hana and I came in, coordination may be your biggest challenge. I suggest you find someone that people can rally behind as a symbol before everyone bails out like rats. That noble woman, Dari...Telena, right? She seemed to have some charisma if given the right things to say."

A growl sounded, as Layel reappeared, looking quite pissed, to put it mildly. "Any chance it came from from a VCX-700 Heavy Courier? Sorry, but it seems my ship has mysteriously vanished. Either the assassin took it, or I suppose there were some truly desperate rats that wanted to leave our cruddy Rebellion fast."

After a long moment to compose himself, he sighed. "In any case, we've got to find a new hiding hole for what little we have... and make it a GOOD one. Not to mention putting some organization into this outfit, we damn well need some."

Joram's first reaction to the revelation that Puck was a Sith was to reach for his lightsaber, but seeing the calm of his own master and the way Icy reacted made him suddenly ashamed of his instinct to violence. Puck might be a Sith, but he had saved a jedi padawan from captivity and reunited her with the jedi. That deserved gratitude, if not trust. He took his hand away from his belt and leaned against a bulkhead relaxing. He felt an itch to get off this planet and find some place safe, but that wasn't the way. This was the place the force had brought them.

Looking to Puck, "How many Sith in orbit?"

"A lot fewer, after that ship crashed into us. I don't think the Sith left on board are really going to be your issue. They were a token force at most, with a few more added in as guards for Hana and her father. Right now, they're probably more pissed off at me for making off with the pretty little Padawan than they are with whoever crashed into the cruiser." His grin was unrepentant, both for his words and the actions they described.

He assumed a thoughtful expression, one finger tapping on his jaw, "Although, come to think of it, most of them owed me sabacc money, so they might be just as happy to be rid of me."

Joram thought for a moment then said mostly to his own master, but loud enough for everyone to hear. He wasn't hesitant, but he also wasn't sure of what he was proposing.

"Master, perhaps this is the force moving. If there is only one Star Destroyer and a few Sith... they will be expecting us to flee, but what if we strike instead? With the masters and padawan we might stand a chance of sabotaging the Star Destroyer. That would send a strong message and give our people a chance to flee to somewhere safe. We would have to find a way to sneak on board however, and I'm not sure how we would accomplish that."

He was expecting that everyone in the room would look at him as if he were crazy for suggesting it, and perhaps he was.

Puck shook his head, "Unless you've got a city hiding around here to crew the thing, it's not gonna do you much good to try to take it. You'll loose more people than you can afford to get a hold of something just bit too big for this rebellion's britches yet. Or this section of the rebellion. I'd just focus on getting your people out right now and reorganizing somewhere safer."

"Have you ever been a Star Destroyer?" he asked Joram with honest curiosity. "They're huge. Most people don't really grasp how large they are until they see them compared to a planet-based city on a map or they get a chance to live on one for a while." He shrugged again, a seemingly common gesture for the young maybe-enemy. "It's up to all of you, of course. But," he gestured to Hana, "I just rescued this one, so she doesn't get to do anything monumentally suicidal for at least a week. Those are the rules of rescues, right?"

Joram tilted his head in consideration. The sith could be saying that just to get them to leave the ship alone, but he didn't feel any hint of deception from the man in the force.

"No, can't say that I have. Biggest ship I've ever been on was a Delian cargo freighter." He looked back to his master and shrugged in turn, "It was just a thought."

Quote:
“Actually Lady Telena, I do have something for you.” Jax spoke calmly but his tones and pauses told her that he was thinking, working, and talking all at once. “It’s not from the base, but I have a faint ion trail, only several minutes old. It’s on the far end of the jungle, opposite where the Sith shuttles landed. The ships gone now, but it’s vector looks like it was enroute to Daragon’s Trail, which doesn’t surprise me I guess, considering it leads to Korriban. That help you any?”

Quote:
"Any chance it came from from a VCX-700 Heavy Courier? Sorry, but it seems my ship has mysteriously vanished. Either the assassin took it, or I suppose there were some truly desperate rats that wanted to leave our cruddy Rebellion fast."

After a long moment to compose himself, he sighed. "In any case, we've got to find a new hiding hole for what little we have... and make it a GOOD one. Not to mention putting some organization into this outfit, we damn well need some."

As the revelation regarding Puck unfolded in the impromptu conference room, Dari was down the hall, focused on the words of the Ambassador's co-pilot, Layel at her side. Her mind spun quickly as she tried to place the reference, then she grimaced slightly as it clicked in her head.

"Yeah, thanks Jax. Sounds like our assassin is already long gone. See what you can do about keeping ships grounded until I update you, and see if you can pick up any other readings. I want to make sure we're not flying into any traps."

"Sure thing. We'll spread the word."

As Dari clicked off her intercom, Icei Avi shoved past them, a furious scowl fixed on her face and an air of tension following in her wake. Dari studied the Jedi's retreating back for a moment before shaking her head, and starting down the hallway towards the room, motioning for Layel to follow.

"It's possible the assassin stole your ship for his escape. If he did, I'm sorry to say that there's probably no way to track him at this point. If we had the manpower to help you hunt him down we would, but it's going to be all I can mange to hold this group together after this incident. But I'm working on it, Captain. My father and I had a difficult enough time getting people here in the first place. My first priorities are a safe haven, and better organization. You have to have a group of people before you can start organizing them, but we do now. We're not entirely without plans, but I need to speak to the Jedi first. If you stick with us, Captain, I'll do everything in my power to help you get another ship - one that you can use to help us fight the Sith."

Her tone and stride were confident and efficient, yet hurried. They had little time to waste, and she knew it. They stepped into the room just as Joram was finishing up some comment about a Delian cargo freighter. As all eyes turned to her she transitioned, seemingly effortlessly, into taking command of the current conversation.

"You know, for someone who's supposed to have their emotions under control, Jedi Avi seemed awfully ticked off."

It was Master Masu-Ka who spoke up, gesturing slightly towards the unlikely new pair seated in their midst.

"Welcome, Lady Telana. We were just being informed by Sith Puck here that there is a single Imperial Star Destroyer orbiting the planet."

"By Sith Puck?!" Her eyes narrowed sharply on the smooth-looking stranger, and like Joram before her, her instinctive reaction was for her weapon - every person there saw her grip tighten around the unique electrostaff that she held in her right hand. But instead of allowing her instincts to control her actions, she forced herself to address Master Masu-Ka instead. "And we're trusting him why?"

"Because apparently he helped this young Padawan escape, and claims to prefer our company to that of his fellow Sith. At least for the time being."

Dari's gaze remained locked with Puck's - his amused but cautious, hers angry yet hesitant. If he was indeed providing them honest information, it gave them enough to go on to evacuate this planet cleanly. The silence lingered for a moment before Jedi Master Imei finally broke it.

"I sense that he is telling the truth, at least in this matter, Lady Telana."

She let out a slight huff of annoyance. It rankled her to trust a Sith for anything, as well as to have to rely on the judgement of someone she didn't know well yet - force user or not. However, her father had chosen to place his confidence in the Jedi Order, and she was short on time, so trusting their abilities herself was probably her best option.. at least for now.

"Very well. Thank you, Jedi Master - and you, Sith Puck, for your.. unexpected assistance."

"Perhaps 'Guardian' might fare better as a title, if you insist on them, Lady Telana. That is the role I serve presently for Padawan Hana here, and that the Jedi Masters have graciously suggested I continue to fulfill. And, well... it's less likely to get me shot."

Her lips twitched very briefly despite herself, and she nodded slightly.

"Fine. Guardian Puck, then. I just spoke with the Ambassador's co-pilot. He detected an ion trail from the far side of the planet, from a ship headed towards Daragon's Trail. Which means that our assassin is probably already on his way to Korriban, and Sith Space. I suggest that before people start taking off on their own, we start instigating an organized retreat to an alternate meeting place. My father had researched backup locations, in case our location here at Yavin IV was compromised. I suggest Dallalt, in the Tion Cluster."

Jedi Imei was the next to speak, his Ithorian-accented voice reverberating deeply in stereo from his four throats.

"And why do you suggest this location, Lady Telana?"

"Several years ago, there was a raid on the planet. It was previously inhabited by low-technology natives, and a small conglomerate of smugglers decided it would be a profitable excursion. They hired mercenaries and led a successful raid on the planet, enslaving most of the human population and killing those that resisted. The natives, and underwater species known as Dellaltians, retreated mostly into the planet's lakes and were left alone - aquatic species don't gather much on the auction block, I suppose. There is an old Yuuzhan Vong outpost on the planet we could utilize. It's possible we might be able to turn the Dellaltians towards our cause, though it's just as likely that if we don't bother them, they won't bother us."

What she didn't mention was that the planet of Dellalt had been her own suggestion - one her father had approved of, once she'd informed him of what had happened to the planet. They'd made a run to confirm it's continued abandonment before adding it to the list of possible safe locations. It was her biological father - Depp Tarwin - who had told her the story originally. He'd made a lot of money on that run, and had been damned pleased with his participation in the brief bout of cooperation between criminals. Hell, they'd all been so pleased with their own chunk of the proceeds that no one had even attempted to backstab any of the others. All Dari remembered feeling as Depp told her the story was ill - absolutely disgusted at the knowledge that her own father was a slave-runner.

Originally Posted By: Dari Telana
"It's possible the assassin stole your ship for his escape. If he did, I'm sorry to say that there's probably no way to track him at this point. If we had the manpower to help you hunt him down we would, but it's going to be all I can mange to hold this group together after this incident. But I'm working on it, Captain. My father and I had a difficult enough time getting people here in the first place. My first priorities are a safe haven, and better organization. You have to have a group of people before you can start organizing them, but we do now. We're not entirely without plans, but I need to speak to the Jedi first. If you stick with us, Captain, I'll do everything in my power to help you get another ship - one that you can use to help us fight the Sith."

"The ship is small bacta." Layel murmured impassively as they walked down there. "At this moment, I'd agree we've got to make something worth at least a half-damn."

Originally Posted By: Dari Telana

Her lips twitched very briefly despite herself, and she nodded slightly.

"...I suggest that before people start taking off on their own, we start instigating an organized retreat to an alternate meeting place. My father had researched backup locations, in case our location here at Yavin IV was compromised. I suggest Dallalt, in the Tion Cluster."

"Several years ago, there was a raid on the planet. It was previously inhabited by low-technology natives, and a small conglomerate of smugglers decided it would be a profitable excursion. They hired mercenaries and led a successful raid on the planet, enslaving most of the human population and killing those that resisted. The natives, and underwater species known as Dellaltians, retreated mostly into the planet's lakes and were left alone - aquatic species don't gather much on the auction block, I suppose. There is an old Yuuzhan Vong outpost on the planet we could utilize. It's possible we might be able to turn the Dellaltians towards our cause, though it's just as likely that if we don't bother them, they won't bother us."

Layel too was cautious about the Sith Puck, but he at least appeared more accepting than the others. With good reason, he felt. How long would the others accept him if they knew about Rendallen? Certainly, it was to him a concern of import. When Dari listed the locations she had in mind, he grimaced slightly. "The planet sounds fine... but the general neighborhood, less so. As far as hyperspace routes go, that's spitting distance of Lianna. I'm not sure if going too close to Santhe/Sienar Technologies HQ is a good idea so soon."

Anyone who knew anything about the galaxy knew that Santhe/Sienar had reverted to old habits. New Empire, complete allegiance again. If one questioned that, well, why did the Empire and Sith still utilize TIE fighters.

Hana watched the interactions between the people here closely. She’d been quiet until now; Puck had seen this contemplative behavior before. She watched people and learned them, just as she’d learned her Sith captors. Then she used it.

“As much as we might want to avoid the Sith, being in the same neighborhood as their ship manufacturers isn’t necessarily a bad idea,” Hana said softly. “I haven’t heard of Dallalt and I’m no astrogater, so it passes that the average person won’t come up with it off the top of their head.

“Regardless of the choice, one needs to be made and fast.” The young Padawan stood tall despite the dirt that clung to her suit. “We need to evacuate. Who is leading us?” The gray eyes roved from the Jedi masters to the human woman who seemed to have some authority to the man behind her who argued with her. She still wasn’t sure who was running the show here; it seemed very chaotic and she wondered if the young rebellion had a chance unless someone stepped up and served as its leadership.

R2-FX continued his trundle around the hanger bay, tweedling and questioning every droid that he possibly could, trying to figure out any info that he could about the assassin and their current whereabouts (having left the group before the info about the ion trail heading the other way was announced).

Akira had been walking along and standing protectively behind Dari, assuming her self appointed role as bodyguard over the young leader of the rebellion. So quiet and unobtrusive, the noblewoman likely forgot the Padawan was even there as the events and decisions taking time,her advice and counsel, so far, have not been needed.

Following along into the room with the other Jedi and her master, Uthae, Akira observes the situation with a quizzical eyebrow raised as her hands remain clasped behind her. The mention of a Sith in the form of the brazen companion of the young female Padawan refugee finds her looking around the room to gauge the responses and postures of the masters.

From their expressions and lack of actions, she realizes that a decision has been made and Akira nods when Master Uthae takes a moment to meet her eyes to ensure the Padawan has a proper reaction to the situation.

She voices her opinion at the suggestion of a new location to rendezvous the Alliance, "Sometimes hiding in plain sight where they least expect you is more effective that trying hide in the remote corner farther away."

There was a long moment of silence as the Jedi deliberated until Imei finally nodded slowly. "Dallat will do nicely. Thank you Lady Telana. Might we recommend initiating the call for an evacuation. Once we arrive on Dallat there is a matter we'd like to discuss with all of you."

Almost in unison the Jedi rose from their seats and exited the chamber along with the rest to prepare the ships for departure.

[R2-FX]

Although busy as could be R2-FX's inquiries unfortunately turned up nothing as most of the droids who claimed of have 'seen anything' just talked in circles. Only rebel personnel had been by them, and nothing fitting the description of anything 'Sith' registered in their memory banks.

Whomever this assassin was they managed to get in and out with no one noticing.

Akira stands aside as the Masters file out of the room. Still stoically standing there, she meets Master Uthae's eyes and there was no instructions for her to follow along in the Jedi's gestures. As often the case, the Padawan has learned many of her Master's wishes without words ever being exchanged.

She nods in understanding and turns to Dari once the Masters have departed. With a characteristically neutral tone, Akira makes a statement, "Lady Telana, my place is at your side if you will have me." Only a slightly raised eyebrow indicates that it might be a question.

Dari nodded briskly at Akira as she pulled out her comlink.

"Your assistance is appreciated, Jedi Akira, as is the council of your fellows and instructors." She flicked the comlink on, reconnecting to her father's co-pilot once again. "Jax, I've spoken with the Jedi Council, and we've received some new developments. There is a lone Star Destroyer circling the planet, so we need to start pulling together an organized departure as quickly as possible, but it should be easy to navigate around. I'm on my way down now, if you could start spreading the word, then I'll be down there to get things going in just a few minutes."

"What about a destination, Lady Telana?"

"That's going to wait till I get there, Jax."

She clicked off the comlink and strode to the door. But before she left, she stopped and turned, her gaze focused on the young blond Padawan and her Sith Guardian. They saw a scowl flicker across her features briefly, but when she spoke his voice was smooth and professional.. if a bit sharp.

"It will take more than a bit of useful information to earn my trust.. Guardian Puck. I have a rebellion to lead, at least during my father's convalescence, and If you and your apprentice have chosen to stay here, then for now you will stay with me. I prefer to keep people that I'm unsure of in close proximity, so that I can see what they're up to. If anyone else is accompanying us, then I suggest you do so quickly."

And with that, she turned and strode through the door on her way back to the hangar bay.

R2-FX, having dug up seemingly nothing important nevertheless recorded the answers for future processing. Having concluded his 'bright idea', he trundled back to the last place he had seen Dari, the Jedi and the other leaders hoping that he could find them easily and be of some further use.

Joram fell in behind Dari feeling that keeping an eye on puck and protecting the leader of the new rebellion was the best place for him. As they walked he made a mental note to study up more on imperial starships. Lack of knolwedge could lead to tactical mistakes....

Akira inclines her head in response, a nod of acknowledgement and thanks. "I will meet you at the exit ramp, if you don't mind. I will be just a moment to gather the rest of my belongings." She knows that Dari can handle herself in a conventional fight, but with Sith treachery a possibility, she would rather the noblewoman not leave the ship without her.

She turns left and stops by her quarters to collect her few possessions. Tarrying only a few moments, she rejoins the others as they are getting ready to disembark.

“Lady Telana.” Like Dari’s tone toward Puck, Hana’s tone was polite, if a bit sharp. “If you please, I am not Guardian Puck’s apprentice.” Indignation rolled off of her like a fog, but she kept her composure. Dari was starting to pull together the words to soothe and assure the young woman that she meant no insult and that she was sure that the petite blonde was very skilled. Hana cut off those words with, “I am a Jedi padawan, and I am here because Puck rescued me from the Sith.”

Hana fell silent rather than request a apology. She had needed to set the record straight; she didn’t want anyone to think she was the same people who had killed her father and enslaved the known galaxy.

Dari faltered slightly at Hana's correction, looking briefly confused. Then her cheeks colored, and her expression became slightly sheepish.

"My apologies, Padawan Hana. You told me that before, of course - the escape. You were captured. I hope you'll forgive the misunderstanding. Your "guardian" here threw me one more loop on what has been a very trying day. I suppose I forgot your previous words with and painted you with the same brushstroke as your companion by mistake."

Unspoken but obvious was the implication that most people would, were they to discover the truth. Yet, for the moment, she seemed willing to take the Jedi Master's council - that they were telling the truth, at least for now - at face value.

"Now if you'll all follow me, I believe I have an evacuation to begin, and a floundering rebellion to hold together."

She started off towards the hangar bay again, her small entourage in tow, as she muttered quietly under her breath.

"Even if it is by the skin of a mynock's wing..."

Layel wasn't sure about the Sith, but he wasn't a rose garden of innocence on the matter either. So he followed Dari and the Jedi, though he still held doubts about plunking so close to TIE central. Nonetheless, she was boss, until proven incompetently otherwise. Hopefully that would never happen.

"Some rebellion we have here." He muttered underneath his breath.

Akira rejoins the others and gets some general impressions of moods from the non-Jedi. This causes her to raise an eyebrow with some curiosity, Lady Telana appears to be feeling some of the pressure of leadership, but not letting it hamper her decision making nor resolve.

The mixture of emotions, clearly visible on Padawan Hana's face at Dari's slip of the tongue causes Akira to reflect on the young woman a bit later as she glances at her following along as part of Lady Telana's entourage, Too quick to anger possibly. Perhaps her time with the Sith has allowed for her to forget or stray from her teachings. Very well, as we travel together without the watchful eyes of the Masters, I shall endeavor to provide a good example for her to emulate.

The soldier's sarcasm is not lost on her either, but she says simply for all to hear, "May the Force be with us." She walks along, hands clasped behind her, glancing around to observe the hustle and bustle of the departure.

R2-FX caught up with Dari and her retinue around the ships. He tweedled a simple greeting, and then, noticing that the Jedi who could understand him was near, beeped his reply. I could find no information regarding the assassin wearing Ranner's face or the ship that they left on. What is the current plan?

Hoping that the Jedi would have the time to converse with him, FX hung around, trying to pick up on the subtle biological cues that would answer some of his inquiries without further aid. He also noticed that the two newcomers were sticking closely to Dari, and while trying to run probability matrices that that was a bad idea, realized that he didn't have enough information. Apparently he had missed a lot in his fruitless search.

Akira looks down at the droid as it starts beeping and whistling at her, "Hey there... I see. Well after this much time passing and the chaos, we could not have expected more, huh?. Good effort and thank you, FX." She mentions what the R2 unit has reported to Dari.

Turning back to FX, rolling along beside her, the Padawan explains softly, "We are proceeding with an evacuation, those of us here accompanying Lady Telana. Our destination is Dellalt, have you knowledge of the planet?"

She doesn't mention needing an invitation to come along to the droid, assuming it intends to stay with them rolling along beside her. Inwardly she chuckles, Are your bags pack and ready? If it is sentient, does it have possessions and assess its own value? What would a droid consider valuable, anyway? Hmmm, not sure. But other than a twinkling in her eyes, there is no trace of her musings on her expression as she continues to stroll behind Dari being watchful.

• 2 weeks later...

Dari thanked the droid for the information too, as well as Akira for translating. A small smile tugged at the corners of her lips - "You speak binary? You're a helpful woman to have around, Padawan Akira." - but no sooner were the words out of her mouth than they reached the hangar bay, and Dari was swept up into the evacuation planning. It was all the group could do - three Jedi padawans, one Sith, one mercenary pilot, and one free droid - to stay close to her, as she was immediately surrounded by frightened diplomats and frustrated freedom fighters ready to make their way off this rock.

Despite the madness, Dari did her best to stay composed, to lead the way she knew her father - the one that mattered, the one laying wounded from an assassin's blaster shot - would if he were present. She knew it would take every ounce of diplomatic skill she possessed to keep these people from abandoning this rebellion before it had even begun, and she intended to hold it together, even if the effort killed her.

Akira continues to walk along, hands clasped behind her and alert, escorting Dari with the R2 unit beside her. She smiles slightly at Lady Telana's mention of her speaking Binary, but has no chance to reply.

After a few moments she says softly to FX, "Beep, boop?... Does that mean anything? I can understand okay, but when I try to talk, I do not think it actually has meaning."

The slight smile on her face, reveals that she is likely joking, knowing full well she cannot actually talk in Binary.

R2-FX tried to both keep up and keep out of people's direct paths. His response to Padawan Akira was a little slow in coming, but he gave no reason for the delay. In beeps and twiddles he replied, I know stellar cartographic information about it, I could plot our hyperspace course. Other than that, I know basic info, but I could do a search for more info if you would like."

Akira continues walking along as before, replying to the droid, "No hurry on that information now, FX. But, if you have the time while we are en route, perhaps a briefing on information you have gathered would be of benefit for Lady Telana and those of us charged with her protection."

Anarchy consumed the base as everyone raced to heir ships once the evacuation protocol had been given. The hangar bay was alive with the bustle of traffic as droids finished last minute preparations and fuel lines were released with a hiss to signal a ship was prepared to go.

One by one the rebel ships tore through the skies into the atmosphere. One into the star ocean above the planet's surface the ominous Star Destroyer was laying in wait. While certainly not enough to form a planetary blockade in and of itself, it's thousands of short range T.I.E. fighter birthed within were would prove more than efficient at causing problems for the rebellion ships.

No sooner had the rebel ships entered firing range when they found themselves being peppered by innumerable short rage fighter before they could calculate the jump to light speed.

The Ambassador's ship and the Jedi's ship exited the atmosphere to see a raging storm of green and red laser fire amidst the ocean of stars.

"Lady Telana! This not looking good!" The captain shouted to her over the comm. Fighters, coming in fast!"

"Break right and hold position." Master Masu-Ka said over the com, flying the Jedi's transport. "We'll provide you with cover. Prpare your ship the jump to light speed, we've no choice to hold them off til the astromech droids finish doing their thing."

Click to reveal..
Dari and the Ambassador are on his ship, the Jedi are on the Jedi ship. Anyone not accounted for at the moment please post in the OOC thread which ship your character boarded, since your skills might prove useful on either one...

With the chaos of a space battle being inevitable, Akira stands at Dari's shoulder. Despite not really being proficient in operating starship controls, she is still uncomfortable doing nothing instead. Unless the Empire starts sending out assault transports to be able to board their ship, vigilantly protecting Lady Telana inside her ship appears to be unnecessary.

She inquires of the Captain, "How are you situated for gunners, Captain? Though I am not trained properly in their operation, I am fairly decent with a blaster and combat in general. If I can be of use, I offer my services."

Joram reached out with his senses letting the Living Force surround him to enhance his calm. He could feel the vast ocean of starts call out to him and guide his thoughts. His mind was at peace.

"Masters," He said softly, still focusing on his meditation. e could sense and feel the enemy pilots, see their locations beyond the walls of the ship. "We're in a pickle. Master Masu-Ka, change vector, they're trying to corral us and keep us with the others!"

She smiled at her Padawan as Masu-Ka changed their vector slightly, away from the Ambassador's ship. "We'll handle these, don't worry. Be my eyes, Joram, be my eyes." Her own eyes went bleached white as she also tuned into the waves of the Force and in an instant she was one with the ship.

Jorum grabbed the controls and began entering in flight path data to assist his Master with her task of keeping the ship in one piece.

Quote:
Aid another: Piloting

R2-FX rolled up to a scomp port near the pilot. Once there he checks the sensors to see what kind of trouble they're in and then raises the shield and starts sending power to the weapons. He then sends a message to the pilot's console. I'll take it from here, please, sir.

Quote:
Move action - use sensors (scan mode) - Computer Use check

(21:51:00) ChatBot: (R2-FX) logs into the Chat.

(21:51:07) ChatBot: (R2-FX) rolls 1d20 and gets 20.

(21:51:17) (R2-FX): crit

+16 +2(from scan mode)= 38 total for Computer Use for Sensors

Free action - power shields medium sized vessel

Move action - power weapons medium sized vessel

Free action - 'talk'

This is assuming that there is a pilot and FX hasn't been flying the ship since it took off (or that it's been on autopilot)

• 1 month later...

Hana and Puck tried to stay out of the way, realizing that there was little for two Jedi with no piloting could do to aid the ship. When a crewmember looks at them, Hana offers, “Let us know if we can do anything to help.”

“What can you do?”

“Repel invaders,” Puck said with a, well, puckish twist of his lips.

“I have limited use with computers,” Hana added, looking sideways at Puck.

Dari was back in the medical bay with the Ambassador, but when she heard the pilot's announcement, she squeezed her father's shoulder firmly, and then hurried out of the room even as she was responding.

"Davbr, Akira and I will try and hold them off on one of the laser cannons while you and Jax get us out of here!"

She motioned for Akira to follow and hurried down the hallway and scrambled into the gunport, blinking slightly with surprise that the weapon was already powered up. She took hold of the controls and settled into her seat as she did a quick scan of the target screen and the incoming fighters.

Click to reveal..
I'm assuming here that getting into position will take Dari the whole round. If I'm incorrect about that, Dave, let me know and I'll add to the post.

Archived