[OpNet] Nova News Today!

N News Service

Nova Science Bringing Fantasy to Life

Barnerd Laboratories has announced plans for a joint project with the Cuban government to create a wild animal park with a twist. The animals are going to be genetically engineered duplicates of creatures from fantasy and myth.

"With nova aided advances in science even the impossible and magical is now within our grasp," said Randolph Barnerd IV, founder and CEO of Barnerd Laboratories, "Novas are the heroes of legend come to life and with their aid the same creatures and wonders of legend can now also be real."

Barnerd would not verify speculation that the only reason that Barnerd Laboratories is working with Cuba is to avoid close Utopian observation regarding banned technologies claiming only that "Due to the repressive communist regime Cuba's economy did not take as much advantage of their available real estate as many other nations have. We have found a number of prime locations that are pristine and untouched, totally tailor made for our needs."

No firm date was given on the planned opening of the park, as yet unnamed, only that results should be seen in two to three years.

more>>>>

Miami Civic Defender Replaced

Antonia Spellman, the Miami Civic Defender by the name of Hotshot up until this morning, has been released from her contract and replaced with local and recently erupted nova, Ferdinand Vermudez.

What is so unusual about this case is that the name and identity of "Hotshot" was registered by the City of Miami and not by Ms. Spellman so she can no longer use the name or identity associated with it including costume, mask and logo. Ms. Spellman was unavailable for comment but unnamed sources indicate she is considering taking the city to court for unfair termination of contract. Racial motivations are rumored to the basis for her claims. Ms. Spellman, a native Californian of Jewish heritage was never popular with the increasingly dominant Cuban-American population.

more>>>>

Item 1

I would normally be against this sort of thing but I SOOOO want a little blue fluffy Triceratops with rabbit ears of my very own... It's bound to be redundent tipping Greenwar off.

Item 2

Remember kiddies, don't let others choose your nova name for you, they may want it back some time.

Totem: Remember those feathers you passed around so liberally about a year ago? Have you molted since then? They probably don't have to ask. Not that I think they'd actually try.

Fantastic Park - Sounds fun, and as long as they remember to make only male animals, and don't use the DNA of rare sex-changing frogs, everything should be fine.

Hotshot - Read your contracts. Come on people, is it really that hard? I never signed anything I didn't read.

They're going to mess this up and create some sort of horrible creatures that have to die, simply for the crimes of how they were made...

I mean did they ever think that some of those creatures are best left in the ether of legend?

Love the idea for the park....Though the best thing is what a god-damn scary place it is going to be. Oh, sure they'll be griffins and Unicorns, but do you know how many "creatures of Myth and Legend" are monsters that want to eat your flesh and/or babies? When publicity time comes, I think it'll be good to be N!TV's main Monster Guru.

Personally I'd pay a fortune to get eaten by a Banshee. smile

I am telling you this whole Mythos Park is a bad bad idea. But let them do it. Letem make giant combustabile birds that will not die or Flying reptiles that breath napalm. You know why I don't mind? Because then the humans will have something to be afraid of other than us.

Such a thrill kill there, Mr. "Walking Mythology". :P

Just be afraid if they start bio-engineering Teletubbies.

Morbid comments aside, did you ever wonder if this park wasn't being made for Novas? We're practically guaranteed a spot in the highest income bracket anyway (for better or for worse), so why shouldn't someone design a slightly dangerous park with Novas in mind?

On that note: Ibiza's just a big Nova Cash Cow isn't it?

If they're going to let baselines in, then they're going to have nova level handlers to keep them safe. Even if they somehow manage to dull or kill the mythological beasts' hunting instincts, they're still going to need a nova to 'wrangle' the fiesty dragons. Of course, since these beasts are nova-made in the first place, that isn't likely to be an issue.

So, who wants to take bets? Genetic engineering, nova-projections, both? My money's on genetics, but mister Barnum, er, mister Barnerd, might take some hints from past masters of the incredible.

Eris, from what I understand of your powers, you're Jurassic park waiting to happen, and I'm sure several members of the Nova community would feel better if you never ever take a step there.

Notice the report says Nova-aided, this means baselines are still in control of it, and baselines have a history of making stupid blunders.

Oh Lordy, but I can see the lawsuit coming from someone trying to ban Eris from this fiasco waiting to happen. I mean, so what there is only a 1:10 billion chance of something horrible going on. Those odds must be child's play to someone like Eris.

I wonder who the Dragon eats first.

Iron Rose, if they pull that off it would be an unheard of miracle. I think sentiments like Bandwidth's and Jager's are much more appropriate given humanity's track record.

Jager, who the ddragon eats first depends on whether it's chromatic or metallic and what color it is.... Can you see them trying to make Demons like the Balrogg? Think of those implications...

Fantastic Park: A few things to think about.

Genetic Engineering: How easily can you create a mythical fire-breathing dragon without giving it some actual quantum abilities? Duplicating nova powers on a genetic level in animals is just a step away from doing so in people. Somebody is guaranteed to try making home-brewed novas, either in Barnerd itself or with research stolen from them. After all, "Novas are the heroes of legend come to life," and the demand is higher for do-it-yourself heroes than monsters.

Control issues: Once you've made these animals, you need to be able to control them - not just to prevent them from going wild, but to keep them exciting to watch. What happens if you create a harpy that doesn't like singing to an audience? Tough to keep the show entertaining.

Economics: From an economics standpoint, you know somebody is going to start selling "Hippogriffs" or "Unicorns" on the black market, both real and fraudulent. Be the first in your neighborhood to own horse with a tusk glued onto its forehead!

Hotshot: I agree with Alchemist on this one: read before you sign. As for the racial issue, I won't take a side on it. If I was fired because I'm a white guy with a beard, I'd be pissed; on the other hand, is it fair to force the Cuban-American population to be represented by an outsider instead of one of their own, especially since they've traditionally been a minority?

Eris: If Utopia S&T doesn't shut them down, I'll gladly join you on opening day; I'm not indestructible, though, so please try not to let a helicopter crash on me. laugh

I'll try to keep that from happening Damanor..

Everyone is always so negative. I think we should just sit back and enjoy what fun can come out of this place. Who knows maybe they will all just be Nova created illusions or something. If so no big deal right?

Long, I was referring to the phenomenally bad things that tend to happen around Eris leading to the Dragon eating someone, not that this Fantasy Park enterprise is doomed to failure.

Besides, maybe the Dragon will eat some Jerky Meany Head the world doesn't want around anyway?

A note about the park:

What happens if they create sentiant creatures? I mean, I have personal problems with the caging of dolphins, porpi, and killer whales. What about artificially created intelligent life? Is it slavery ... do they get a wage and benefits ... do they get the option to leave?

The science is pretty astounding, none the less.

As for HotShot ... it sucks. Instead of going the sour grapes route, she might want to parley her experience into another job (if she liked the work, that is).

Um ... what? Fire-breathing dragons? Sentient creatures? Nova-powered creatures?

Nova-aided or not, genetic engineering is in its infancy. The best they'll be able to do is the theme park equivalent of those iguanas they used to stick in pint-sized cities for cheap science fiction movies.

Granted, the horse with a horn on its head and the big lizard with (inoperable) wings will still be big tourist attractions, simply because they are something special ... but they really can't have the means to produce anything as fantastic or disastrous as is being bandied about here.

Incidently, experimenting with investing something (or someone) with nova powers is a great way to get your door kicked in, your files and experiments confiscated, and - in some jurisdictions - put up on criminal charges. If you're into that business, you're not going to put the evidence on display in a theme park.

A more reasonable concern would be the ethical considerations. To produce a viable specimen, they will almost certainly being going through dozens or hundreds of failures that are still-born, that quickly die from horrific genetic diseases, or that are just biologically non-viable. I assume that's why they're dodging Project regulation (they won't confirm it, but you know it's true).

It is humbly suggested that development of immersive VR might ultimately be safer, more economically viable, less ethically ambiguous and have more practical applications than physically producing such creatures.

Is anyone aware of any such undertaking?

Real reality as it stands is, maybe, not so bad. There is some concern at the implications of playing with it too much. Not to say this by itself is too much. Necessarily.

I think people are taking this a bit too seriously. Sure there's a company that's going to create a park filled with Mythological creatures....but all they're doing is trying to cash in on a trend. It's already existed for years. Tarotica's DreamScape has been in business for 2 years now and I personally know one Nova who has been weaving or giving birth to monsters for years now. She throws killer parties....if you can afford it. Seems to me BarNERD is just going the boring science way around it.

Who [size:5]CARES about an amusement park for the bored rich to shower money on in hopes of giving substance to their consumption driven lives? Did you people know there are clinics in Havana that promise to increase the chance of children erupting into novas? In Thailand they offer "specially augmented security personnel" able to "favorably" interact with novas sans overt weaponry. Here's a good one I heard about from an elite; there's a place Hong Kong that guarantees they can change your identity completely from face to build, eyes to fingerprints, sex to smell. Price tag is somewhere in the eight digits.

How do you think they do that and for who?

No, the lesson Antonia Spellman is learning is not to copywrite her nova name. Welcome to the wonderful future of the world where you can still get fired because you come from the wrong ethnic background. Oh everyone's happy enough at first but as soon as the "right" kind of people show up then you're gone.

Fuck you too, Billy. laugh

I can't figure out why anyone cares about a miniature pink elephant when this kind of shit is going on in the world.

PS:

Nova News has reported this kind of crap before. Try looking up the report on the Kingmaker Clinic.

I dinnae be thinkin' that it's a good idea tae tinker with genetics. Accidents can happen.

An' what about animal rights, aye? Are these critters animals or property that happens tae breathe?

Eris, me dear, ye sound like a sweetheart, but maybe ye ought tae seein' about gettin' somethin' done about yuir aberration, however temporarily? One of me relatives in India tells me there's a lassie in Mumbai that might be able tae help ye.

Nae offence, me dear, but ye have acknowledged that ye are a danger tae others.

What is it with nova names anyway? Is it somethin' I ought tae dae seein' as I am one?

Being a nova is like being a rock star, politician or famous actor, Rose. The public thinks they have a personal relationship with you. Its "Rose" or "Chris" and they think because they know something about you that you should know them. A nova name is a little bit of seperation between the person they think they know and you. A little bit of privacy.

Its a personal choice whether you have one or not.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
What?
Edison, are you saying you would take it personally when your plane explodes in a one-in-a-million fuel line failure? How dare you!

Glad to know I'm not the only heartless one.
I wouldn't take it personally, because I'd be dead. Though I'm sure if my corpse came back to life it would be Eris's brain it would be trying to eat.

You seem to be under the idea that I want to kill you or enjoy the harm that is inflicted on other by accidents that happens around me. While I admit I enjoy the zaniness at times I dont enjoy seeing people injured or die.

You seem to be under the idea that my zombie corpse is coming after you because you thought I thought that you took joy in the acts of murder...that is not the case, it's just a matter of you being responsible for it. My zombie won't care if you took joy in it or not, just that it's your fault.

Let me turn bulletproof, and let my family turn bulletproof as well, and then I won't care.

Archived