Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - OOC: Discussions

Krul

I would like to hear from Krul first, but Zephyr would definitely want some part in this.

Krul's answers are definitely part of the pre-Young Justice: Next Thread scheme I have in mind, but for now, given the lack of objections, I'm putting a bow on Martian Mixer and letting all of us free to act out the next week of events and stuff. :)

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to things getting out of hand with certain threads and an apparent misunderstanding, I have now witnessed one whole thread now become impossible and another plan I was looking forward to become nothing but a dream. I am going to pick up the pieces but from here on I am splitting off from GNS and focusing on what is mattering directly to Kamiko for the foreseeable future.

Addendum... I know why I'm this stressed...

Here's what I'm seeing.

1: Krul went into low-activity hibernation after Thanksgiving.

2: The holidays are pretty much done in about 9 days give or take.

Thing is, I think the Christmas present he'll be bringing back... we might think of as a itchy sweater than that present we really wanted. Time for the other shoe to drop and our plans to start falling apart.

Huh? What does this mean, minus the metaphor?

Darrik: You don't know the situation. I recommend you don't get caught up in it. Her reactions aren't entirely IC.

Sky: Think about it... all our plans, all our little plots and schemes over the past couple months. The GM's coming back and we're about to find out what sticks and with the windmills we're trying to tilt, oh man. Not a whole lot will stick.

Huh? What does this mean, minus the metaphor?

The possibility that all of our sparkly dreams of striking down Proteus and riding off into the happy quantum-powered sunset may well be dashed by a Proteus Strikes Back moment in the upcoming Jungle Wars.

No. I'm stressed because I've been feeling like I need to take everything on myself. I've been feeling more and more out of control and that's lead to Kamiko's bad day in GNS. In chat I think we hae a roadmap to recovering this and Starseed will be personally invited to the Bibliotheca Sacra.

If Star still wants to be friends, why would Kamiko refuse?

I'm sort of dropping in to give an update...

No.. I'm not dead

Yes.. Work has been a bit hectic this last week (ended up with one horrible 14 hour day.. just to give a hint)

Yes.. I have also been playing Skyrim a lot (awesome game)

Yes.. I have taken a bit of a break from dropping in here in the last week (in part due to the above.. but also cause I needed it)

Yes.. I am planning to take some folks up on the offer as assistant ST's

Yes.. I'm somewhat distracted by Christmas issues

Yes.. I do plan to have the game pick up after the holidays

No.. I won't be around much over the next week, maybe a little, but that's it.

And there you go, one Status update for folks wondering.

I'm sort of dropping in to give an update...

No.. I'm not dead

Yes.. Work has been a bit hectic this last week (ended up with one horrible 14 hour day.. just to give a hint)

Yes.. I have also been playing Skyrim a lot (awesome game)

Yes.. I have taken a bit of a break from dropping in here in the last week (in part due to the above.. but also cause I needed it)

Yes.. I am planning to take some folks up on the offer as assistant ST's

Yes.. I'm somewhat distracted by Christmas issues

Yes.. I do plan to have the game pick up after the holidays

No.. I won't be around much over the next week, maybe a little, but that's it.

And there you go, one Status update for folks wondering.

Good, good. Can you at least spare a minute to explain the plan for Wages? :)

Had an interesting conversation regarding Warp and the number of successes to get somewhere.

For one thing, there are slight inaccuracies in the player's guide in regards to how many successes are needed to get to Alpha Centauri. Discovered it was short by 1.

So, I took it upon myself to make a more accurate chart showing the distance traveled in KM, AU, and LY. It gets ludicrously big.

Warp Chart to 30 Successes.

Enjoy.

Varro - How are the Q. Construct servitors providing powers to other people? The only way I could figure it would be if they had Q. Synch (a Q. Sup. tech), but they'd have to have Q. rating of 8, which they can't because Star's Q. rating is only 5.

I can see them being able to lift people via M-Str 1 and Flight, but Star would have to be directing each of them as they have no awareness/mind of their own. Conferring Blank....I can't figure that one at all. Could you give a build for them or the reasoning behind how they can do what you've described? Not trying to call you out, but several people had questions and with the holidays chat is a hit or miss to catch people.

Thanks!

Mala - much much simpler than that - they have powers with the "Affects Others" extra. So the Blank extends over the wearer. Blank has only one effect, and in this case it is applied on another. The flight ... its kind of like Peter Pan ish ... but in theme, its the snake 'sharing' its flight power at the wearers whim. Not at all a case of the snake flying and carrying people around with mega strength.

On a balance note, these are all powers that Star actually has, and has spent time studying. So weaving them into her creatures is pretty reasonable, and in line with the character concept - which was hashed out with Krul at length. I have also been taking care to leave in character time, make references to, Star's to experimentation with new servitor types and such - appropriate effort has been put in.

The direction issue is simple to solve. They aren't sentient, or self aware ... but that doesn't really matter. Neither a jet pack nor a hermit crab is self aware and they work just fine. For powers that are always on, like Blank, its moot - the power affects other, the wearer ... no intensive control needed.

For powers that require direction ... Star is commanding the snake to fly in a certain way. But she doesn't need to actively direct constructs - they don't require that, the power description implies quite the opposite in fact. Take the core book example of the demon summoner - constructs are under control but its not a case of having to manage it like an R/C toy. Thus, she can dictate the general behavior and action of the construct. So she puts in passive commands like "when someone is touching your head, you fly in the direction your head is pointing. If they squeeze harder, fly faster." ... like the reflexes and functions inherent in all "creatures".

Very low level stimulus response - basically requires the reactions of an amoeba. In her case, she models stuff mostly off biology, so for her power concept it fits. In fact, in the case of the snake construct described far less is required that what the core book implies constructs are able to do. Certainly, "armies of demonic soldiers" that can operate as one would expect them to require all sorts of reflexes and behaviors that are also directly described in the term "creature" they use with certainty. "Creatures" certainly describes the serpents, and ships, and such that Krul has communicated he is happy with. At least, the control and direction part is how I set the character up, and how its been rolling since then.

I hope that sufficiently explains where these ideas are coming from, and that right from character gen this is how things have been working.

No problem at all. Went for the thorough explanation because I can see how people might wonder how everything works - and a big part of the concept has been applying a pretty standard power in (hopefully) creative ways. Doing unconventional things that are more interesting than "army of demon soldiers" - not that their is anything wrong with that, its just standard fare.

And, Happy New Year.. I plan to be around more.. and will work on cleaning up threads and finishing them this month.. will be checking in regularly, unlike this last month.. and even spending some time in the chat, as well as posting new threads and getting my assistant ST's into the game.

[Krul] 11:19 am: Intent.. by those who called it, a grand meeting to smooth things out between different factions and

to see where the children plan to take things.. not to mention what Chang/Meena are up too.. what Puck is doing with

Exalt.. and what Surge/Norman has in mind

[Krul] 11:19 am: what actually comes of it.. depends on the players

From Krul in chat, as the answer to those questions people are having about Wages of Sin.

Okay people in No Fate But What We Make. Seeing as no one seems interested in playing out the events of the sibs taking our rescuees out for a fly, I'm puting up a 24 hour warning before I stitch the thread shut with a FIN and submitting it to krul for grading. Comments, complaints, comendations? You know how to contact me. :)

Assistant ST's

Mala, Long and Carver have offered and I'm taking them up on it.. with a few rules.. they are even permitted to involve their own pc's (though they don't gain xp in those threads if they do). There are a few other rules involved also, but that's between me and them at the moment.

Due to the threads Kamiko is involved in and the prep work required for some of them to be realistic, I want everyone now to consider Kamiko "booked up" for the interlude period.

Ensign Minneapolis is free up to Last Will. I would like it though if any stories don't interweave her with the massive plot thread Kamiko has been weaved into.

I am putting a stop to new interlude threads for a while.. we have hordes of them, and I am wanting them to start wrapping up now.. and start shifting to the next chapter.. I've encourage the interludes to go on quite a while, in part because so many wonderful ideas out there..

But this rampaging dragon ;) has gotten a bit out of control, I'm afraid, time to bring him up short.. so until I say otherwise.. only myself and the Assistant ST's can start new threads.. and I want to start wrapping up most of the interludes.. (with the exception of the one's I started.. but those are sticky, and I am going to end beta soon anyway).

Asa, Ling, are we going to do anymore in LCA! or should we mark it FIN? I'm fine either way, but it's been sitting for weeks now. Asa, we'd talked about doing a press conference/interview. I'm still up for that, if you are, but I'd like to get it going in LCA! pretty quick if we are going to fit it in.

I am putting a stop to new interlude threads for a while.. we have hordes of them, and I am wanting them to start wrapping up now.. and start shifting to the next chapter.. I've encourage the interludes to go on quite a while, in part because so many wonderful ideas out there..

But this rampaging dragon ;) has gotten a bit out of control, I'm afraid, time to bring him up short.. so until I say otherwise.. only myself and the Assistant ST's can start new threads.. and I want to start wrapping up most of the interludes.. (with the exception of the one's I started.. but those are sticky, and I am going to end beta soon anyway).

Quantum Fire uses FUS RO DAH...

It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Krul, when you get a chance, would you please put up your house ruling on Combat Styles? There's been a great deal of confusion on how this works in-game, as it is different from what's in any of the books. According to Asa and shown in what you've allowed some characters to do, you're fine with people taking Qi Meng as a Meditation specialty and allowing up to three Combat Styles each up to their third degree for each combat skill. Is this correct and if so could it please be put in the House Rules? Thanks!

Okay people in No Fate But What We Make. Seeing as no one seems interested in playing out the events of the sibs taking our rescuees out for a fly, I'm puting up a 24 hour warning before I stitch the thread shut with a FIN and submitting it to krul for grading. Comments, complaints, comendations? You know how to contact me.
Love to, didn't and don't have the time. :(

Had an interesting conversation regarding Warp and the number of successes to get somewhere.

For one thing, there are slight inaccuracies in the player's guide in regards to how many successes are needed to get to Alpha Centauri. Discovered it was short by 1.

So, I took it upon myself to make a more accurate chart showing the distance traveled in KM, AU, and LY. It gets ludicrously big.

Warp Chart to 30 Successes.

Enjoy.

Thank you... for perspective.

Diameter of Milky Way Galaxy (i.e. ours): 19 Succ. (120,000 Light Years)

Andromeda Galaxy (Closest to our own): 20 Succ. (2.5 Million Light Years)

Past the assumed edge of the Universe: 24 succ. (14-ish Trillion Light Years)

:Cough: A certain twinked out warper averages 23.4 without willpower or powermaxing or anything. Feel free to use Warren as a plot device &/or minion. If RL lets up I'll be back more regularly.

Archived