Mutants & Masterminds: Emerald City Sentinels - OOC: Emerald City Sentinels

jameson (ST)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
I plan to be there with Blitz. Question: should our logins be the same as our PC's?

Character appropriate log-ons would be nice but will not be required unless the players all agree to that fact.

Do you have to have a separate registration for each character, then? I do think it would be helpful.

I could join around 11 PM my time which would be roughly around 5 PM your time. If that's an option I'd be available from then on. I'd have another 2 hours of time to play theoretically. This is just an offer/option.

I've no realistic idea of how long to expect this all to last but basically the session is laid out as:

1) a little open RP to set the stage

2) combat action

3a) post-combat heroics

3b) post-combat RP

3c) post-combat investigations

I'm hoping that what is there will account for ~3 hours, but I can't be certain at all since I have no experience with text based chat gaming, let alone for gaming with a group of this size (largest group I ever GMed for was 4 people IIRC). All told I expect this to be a bit of a learning & shake-down session (as will be the next few after this)

Post game log: (relevant posts bolded)

Quote:
    [Trace] 5:59 pm: Good game

Izanami *rolls* 1d20: 3+8: 11

[Gamemaster ] 5:59 pm: well firstly, thanks for being patient, and apologies again for the length

[izanami] 5:59 pm: Huh. If you try to use the die roller in a PM, it shows up in main chat. Interesting.

[izanami] 6:00 pm: It was a good session, Jim. A -great- first session.

[Gamemaster ] 6:00 pm: I had not expected that the combat would slow things down so much, nor did I anticipate the intro part before you all got together to take as long as it did

[Trace] 6:01 pm: Combat sped up in the second and third rounds

[Gamemaster ] 6:01 pm: I'm glad everybody seemed to enjoy it

[Gamemaster ] 6:01 pm: does anybody have any feeback to give regarding the =non-combat= portion of the session?

[blitz] 6:01 pm: Yeah, it was fun.

[izanami] 6:02 pm: I do have one suggestion: the chat window gets very cluttered and confusing if -all- of the conversation is there. If we could keep the main chat to die rolling and rp posting, and the mechanics communication of combat to PM windows with you, Jim, I think it would be much easier not to get confused.

[Gamemaster ] 6:02 pm: we can probably try that next time

[blitz] 6:02 pm: GM: I liked how you opened and closed free RP - let me personally know when to start going and when to stop.

[Gamemaster ] 6:03 pm: I was hoping that by seeing everybody's actions and rolls it would help people learn faster

[Trace] 6:03 pm: I think so too

[izanami] 6:03 pm: Yeah, I do like those tags.

[Trace] 6:03 pm: I learned a lot just by watching people do their thing

[blitz] 6:04 pm: I liked seeing the stuff, but I'm ok with trying it the other way.

[Gamemaster ] 6:04 pm: ok. next time we'll try to resolve actions via PM ahead of time

[izanami] 6:05 pm: I just got confused. It is good for learning the system, but I got so lost in what was going on where and with who in the game that I really didn't have any idea what was actually

going on.

[Gamemaster ] 6:05 pm: I will become the lag leader in that case as I will need to essentially pause to do my own rolling/actions for the NPCs

[izanami] 6:06 pm: Either PM's or some sort of standard format for declaring who/what/where so that it can be easily followed. Also, keeping kibbitzing to PM's would probably help.

[Relentless] 6:06 pm: yeah

[Gamemaster ] 6:07 pm: heh I was surprised at how much "table talk" there way

[Gamemaster ] 6:07 pm: *there way

[Gamemaster ] 6:07 pm: was

[Gamemaster ] 6:07 pm: *sigh*

[Trace] 6:07 pm: I think a little kibbitzing adds to the 'table' atmosphere. Too much would be bad

[Gamemaster ] 6:08 pm: I didn't have a problem with it. but maybe we could figure out a way to make the TT a little less distracting

[Gamemaster ] 6:08 pm: just so you all know, the log is 25 pages long!!

[Trace] 6:08 pm: ((OOC: like this perhaps?))

[blitz] 6:08 pm: I think when we have chunks of time between each of action, it's easy to forget, where if we were sapeking, we wouldn't have that issue.

[Gamemaster ] 6:08 pm: I need to polish it some but it will go up before the night is through

[izanami] 6:09 pm: Maybe it's just me. When I would try to read back to figure out what was going on, there'd be so much text to go through that -wasn't- people's actions, that I'd spend more time scrolling than reading and still not know what was going on.

[Relentless] 6:09 pm: lol, 25 pages

[izanami] 6:09 pm: Trace - That would help tremendoulsly.

[Trace] 6:09 pm: It's an old standby     

[izanami] 6:10 pm: Yeah, and we also don't have a whiteboard in chat, so there's not graphic of where people are. You just have to remember and try and figure it out from what's been posted.

[Gamemaster ] 6:10 pm: I keep a mental map, you can ask me

[Trace] 6:10 pm: It's not a problem to ask for a sitrep. *nods*

[izanami] 6:11 pm: I could, but that also slows things down and I felt like I was the slowest responder anyways.

[izanami] 6:11 pm: sitrep?

[Trace] 6:11 pm: Situation report

[Trace] 6:12 pm:      sorry

[izanami] 6:12 pm: I'm just used to programs that have more versatility than a basic chat room and I'm a little frustrated at how hard it was for me to keep track of things, that's all.

[Gamemaster ] 6:13 pm: well I'm willing to try a different software, but I don't know any, don't know how to use any

[Gamemaster ] 6:13 pm: so in the end I suspect that would not actually help

[Trace] 6:13 pm: I'm out for a little bit. Back later. It was a great game, all considered.     

[izanami] 6:13 pm: Even just keeping anything that's not actually rp in brackets will probably do wonders for my ability to keep up.

[blitz] 6:14 pm: What about an IC and OOC room here?

[Trace] 6:14 pm: Thanks guys

[Emerald City Sentinels]: Trace has left at 6:14 pm

[izanami] 6:14 pm: Yeah, OpenRPG was a pain.

[Relentless] 6:14 pm: that might be hard

[izanami] 6:14 pm: Blitz - That could help, if people would be willing to have two log-ins up. I know some don't like to do so.

[Gamemaster ] 6:15 pm: two rooms would be hard for me but I could try it

[izanami] 6:15 pm: Honestly, before we get too complicated, I'd say lets start with bracketing stuff. Then perhaps PM's if it's still cluttered and confusing,

[blitz] 6:15 pm: Iza: True, but most of us already do that - have two rooms.

[Gamemaster ] 6:16 pm: I'm on a laptop, so my ability to multitask is limited somewhat by the physical restrictions of the unit

[Gamemaster ] 6:16 pm: side by side windows (to see both rooms) would make everything scroll rapidly for me

[Gamemaster ] 6:18 pm: I can give it a go however

[izanami] 6:19 pm: I'm not really feeling social anymore. Nothing to do with the game. I'd still vote the brackets first, but just let me know. I'm out for a while.

[Relentless] 6:19 pm: I suppose I could try two rooms

[Emerald City Sentinels]: Izanami has left at 6:20 pm

[blitz] 6:22 pm: Let's try Iza's ideas first.

[blitz] 6:23 pm: Since people seem so-so on the two rooms.

[Lobby]: WhiteRain.vc has entered at 6:23 pm

[Gamemaster ] 6:24 pm: yeah, I'm game, I think keeping the OOC stuff to some kind of brack system would be fine

[Gamemaster ] 6:24 pm: **I'll continue using this**

[Relentless] 6:25 pm: btw, sorry for missing the fiat wrapup, I had to run somewhere

[Relentless] 6:25 pm: I can follow up in the PBP

[Gamemaster ] 6:25 pm: no prob

[blitz] 6:25 pm: Basically ** will be for GM commands, while us plebs use the (( )) system?     

[Gamemaster ] 6:26 pm: that's fine

[Lobby]: Jason-Bombshell has entered at 6:26 pm

[Emerald City Sentinels]: Jason-Bombshell has entered at 6:28 pm

[Relentless] 6:29 pm: ello

[Gamemaster ] 6:29 pm: how did people like the method of resolving attacks and then describing them?

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:30 pm: I worked for me

[Relentless] 6:30 pm: I liked it. Once we get used to doing this, it'll smooth out I think

[blitz] 6:31 pm: I liked it. We got to add our own twist to things and I like that.

[Gamemaster ] 6:31 pm: and how did the combat go for you all in general? I hope it didn't feel like it was dragging while waiting for your turn

[blitz] 6:31 pm: It was a little draggy, but that's the nature of the beast.

[Relentless] 6:31 pm: it was a big battle, so yes, it was slower consequenntly

[blitz] 6:31 pm: It wasn't nearly as slow as PbP, for certain.     

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:31 pm: Gave me time to consider my actions and write up the description

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:32 pm: It started speeding up after a few rounds

[Lobby]: Felicienne has entered at 6:33 pm

[Relentless] 6:34 pm: besides, you had to set up and bring all of us together, and that took time

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:34 pm: Also, this is the most people I played with in a live game

[Gamemaster ] 6:35 pm: yeah

[Gamemaster ] 6:35 pm: this was a lot of players

[Gamemaster ] 6:35 pm: and 5 full on villains

[Gamemaster ] 6:38 pm: I'll be the first to say that I think the group size if definately a huge factor

[Gamemaster ] 6:38 pm: I was acutely aware of how long it took me to get to Trace and TUM TUM just for the opening scenes

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:38 pm: Agreed

[Gamemaster ] 6:39 pm: hopefully things will be easier as the group begins to form

[Relentless] 6:39 pm: hopefully     

[Gamemaster ] 6:41 pm: down to 22 pages once I cleaned out the whispers that were not needed

[Relentless] 6:42 pm: I'm not sure if people would appear at Izanami's place though. We DO have secret identities, unlike her

[Gamemaster ] 6:43 pm: well there is a bunch of on scene stuff that we didn't get to, I'm willing to run that via PBP

[Gamemaster ] 6:43 pm: we only did about 2 scenes out of 4 I had intended

[Relentless] 6:44 pm: sure. That's great     

[Lobby]: WhiteRain.vc has entered at 6:45 pm

[Gamemaster ] 6:46 pm: any other comments? criticism? feedback? complaints?

[Gamemaster ] 6:46 pm: Did you guys get enough HPs? Did you feel challenged enough?

[Gamemaster ] 6:46 pm: I know that there was very little damage dealt by the baddies

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:47 pm: Well, you had 5 villains for 8 PCs

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:47 pm: The HPs gave the fight more energy

[Gamemaster ] 6:47 pm: and only 1 of them was PL 10

[Relentless] 6:47 pm: they were challenging enough, we had numeric advantage, and I think most of them are below our PL

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:47 pm: And I like the use of VP

[Relentless] 6:47 pm: heh yeah

[Relentless] 6:48 pm: biab

[Gamemaster ] 6:48 pm: ok the chat is up

[Gamemaster ] 6:48 pm: its not really formatted well though

[Gamemaster ] 6:49 pm: I'll take suggestions for that if people have them

[Emerald City Sentinels]: Relentless has left at 6:49 pm

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:51 pm: Heh, took me long enough to format a shared post with WhiteRain, and that was only 3 pages

[Gamemaster ] 6:51 pm: yeah

[Jason-Bombshell] 6:51 pm: It really doesn't look that bad though

I also agree that we'll get faster with practice. Some suggestions/comments.

The chat room d/c'd me out due to inactivity (I presume). Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

I thought the format itself was good. Description followed by single actions, followed by clearly defined open RP. Well organized, and easy for me, at least, to follow.

I would vote for using brackets before trying to keep more than one room open. That's a recipe for a stressed-out GM and frustrated players when he misses something.

Where possible, have notepad or something open and type your description/action in there for fast copy and pasting when it's your turn. A saved notepad file for standard descriptions for your commonly-used powers can also save time.

For the GM, roll initiative ahead of time for the NPC's, and have descriptions ready to copy/paste where possible.

As we get more used to the setup, rolling when you post your action will save time.

Those investigating the exploded truck please roll Investigation (DC 15). For those scouring the rest of the area or questioning the witnesses please roll Perception (DC 10).

Routine checks are available (meaning that I just need to know if you are putting the effort into searching the area and talking to the witnesses in order to pass).

I shall note for everyone's convenience that I have no objection to the ST making all my rolls. In fact, I prefer it for the sake of keeping things moving.

Plus, I don't know how to roll outside chat.

Plus, Investigate can't be used untrained, and Picasso isn't.

I'm going to respond to this point by point ...

Originally Posted By: Caninicus
I shall note for everyone's convenience that I have no objection to the ST making all my rolls. In fact, I prefer it for the sake of keeping things moving.

When I ask for rolls like this I expect more than a dice roll and a pass/fail, I expect the players to describe and role play their character doing the thing they are doing. Otherwise, yes, I would roll to keep things moving. This applies in the chat sessions as well, much like in combat where I asked you all to describe your attacks, I will want the same of stealth rolls, intimidate checks, etc.

Plus, I don't know how to roll outside chat.

invisiblecastle.com

Plus, Investigate can't be used untrained, and Picasso isn't.

That's fine, but I don't have everybody's character's memorized (nor will I ever), and checking and rolling for all of you can be time consuming. When need arises (say for perception checks) I will do so but I prefer that players take an active hand in thier characters so that I can focus on the rest of the game.

When I get a chance, hopefully this weekend, I am going to write TUM TUM's actions. He won't be investigating, or at least if he does the conclusions he comes up with will in no way relate to what is actually going on. wink

No worries.

Just so people are clear on this, it was never my intent to have the chat game spill out into a forum game. I don't want to run a second forum game right now. I did however expect that this material would fit into the Chat, which it did not. I'll keep up with this for all of you for as long as you care to, be it one person or all 7 of you.

The chat games will be, or at least are intended to be, single serving sessions. Fun stuff, that may or may not build on prior events, but that are fully self contained.

I'm going to lock in for Saturday the 23rd, 1 pm EST. I realize some cannot make it for that day, and I apologize but this is not likely to be the only time that schedules do not coincide.

Confirmed:

Trace

Relentless

Blitz

Incantatrix

Suprema

Unconfirmed:

Izanami

Long (?)

Out:

Picasso

TUM TUM