Mutants & Masterminds: Emerald City Sentinels - OOC: Emerald City Sentinels

jameson (ST)

• The What: A Mutants and Masterminds Third Edition game run live via chat
  • The Who: Open to anybody who wants to play and can commit to one of the sessions.
  • The When: Sessions will be scheduled around my schedule, and are most likely to be Friday or Saturday evenings, or Sunday afternoons (all times, Eastern Standard Time). I'll post up a draft a week or two ahead of time to schedule and try to work with anybody who can make it up to a reasonable number of players (minimum 3, maximum around 7 or 8).
  • The Where: From the comfort of your own computer!
  • The Why: For fun. To help people get a better idea of how M&M plays on a table compared to PbP. To try something new.
  • The How: Text chat.

I've been thinking for a long time that it might be nice to try and run a live game with the folks who play here. The various "live chats", like WoDA's UCLA Chats, and the OpNet chats all seem to do well, but are ultimately limited by to a format of "this is a bunch of people in a chat room talking."

Re: The Game

Genre: Four-color, Silver Age super heroes. We've got an overabundance of the grim & gritty Iron Age, and I'm not really one for the "gee whiz" Golden Age. Stylistically I would like to emulate The Justice League Unlimited type of stories (and I am frightfully aware how likely I am to fail at that) with sessions being akin to Episodes. Some episodes will be stand alone and others will build on earlier stories.

The Setting: I've decided that even though the setting book for it isn't out yet (and isn't expected until August-ish) I'm going to fudge my way through using the new Emerald City setting. I lieu of a proper map I'll be using Seattle and Google Maps when needed. I shall start a setting thread at some point in the near future. Emerald City is the "signature setting" for 3e, which is set in Green Ronin's "Freedomverse". The setting book is actually not published but there is some information in the Emerald City Knights Adventure Path and wider setting information within the 2e Freedom City supplements.

In addition to this I am going to run the Emerald City Knights adventure path (in parts if not in its entirety) which I reviewed the first two parts of HERE. I ask that you not purchase or download these to read as they will spoil some of the game if you do. If you have already done so, or were planning to run it or play it within another game please let me know and I will keep that in mind.

The Heroes: The characters will be part of hero team, something akin to the Avengers or the JSA/JLA. Everybody who wants to play will have a spot on the roster and when games come around those players who are able to play will have their PCs be available for duty, while the others are inaccessible for one reason or another. In this way I aim to avoid the scheduling conflicts that RL can sometimes throw in the path of RPGs.

Chargen: I intend all players to work with me to generate their PCs using the Quickstar Character Generator I reviewed a couple of weeks back. My reason behind doing so is to spend less time reviewing characters, give a real stress test of the product (which I feel is excellent), and also provide an "even playing field" such that players less familiar and comfortable with the system will not feel that the veterans are able to "outbuild them." Players can either work with me in chat or via PMs, but this will be a non-negotiable fixed starting point for characters. As part of a super team characters will need to be team players; "loners" who "work best alone" need not apply, at all.

Re: Chargen The question was asked if players had to buy the GMs Kit in order to build a character. The answer is no it is my intent to work with each and every potential player via chat or PM and use my own kit to guide you all through chargen, I have the PDF and can easily copy/paste the required sections for people as they roll up. The only thing you will need is a copy of the M&M 3e Hero's Handbook and at a willingness to learn the rules if you don't already know them. I'm around most evenings in chat and I can also run PC creation via PM.

Also to assuage any fears that you'll end up playing something you hate, chargen will not be strictly random, players will be free to override the dice and discuss options with me during the process.

Created a thread for characters HERE.

A quick tally of those who have displayed interest:

Joani - schedule dependent (Sat/Sun afternoons only), paragon

Ravi - Sunday afternoons best, Crime Fighter

Jeremy - Martial artist

Asa - mystic

Caninicus - psychic

Celeste/Mala - Paragon

Dawn - Speedster

Long - Battlesuit

Chosen - powerhouse

SalmonMax - schedule dependent (Sunday afternoons only), Undead

AW - schedule dependent (Sunday afternoons only)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd really love to do this but unfortunately I live like 6 to 8 hours away from you guys. So if you start at 8 pm for example it'll be 2 am for me.

That makes me kinda sad because I'd be so game for a live-chat thing or even via Skype.

I'll follow this of course and see how things develop - maybe I'm lucky and can make this happen.

I'd be interested. The one gotcha is that I'm just not all that familiar with the M&M system. The other gotha is that it is hard for me to block out 3+ hours without my wife being involved as well.

Would you mind sharing more about the type game you plan to run?

I have been playing RPG's on chat programs for years now, and it's very fun if schedules mesh. There are a number of utilities people can use for free. The two most common are OpenRPG, which is a nice, solid program all around, and MapTools which is a lot like OpenRPG but has vastly expanded (and more complicated) mapping utilities.

I am not as fond of voice chat, as relying on typed text makes it easier (IMO) to get immersion. There's no issues with a person's voice not 'matching' their character concept.

As for time, my Sunday mornings and afternoons are almost always free. Fridays and Saturdays are when I have "a life," so they wouldn't work out as well.

This sounds neat to me. Personally, I'd say go for one of the chat (text) programs set up for virtual gaming. People can belong to multiple "rooms" in order to follow RP in one "room", mechanics in another, and kibbutzing in a third. This allows people to socialize OOCly without taking up sound-space or game time.

EDIT: OpenRPG is what I'm describing. I should have put that up here.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
As for time, my Sunday mornings and afternoons are almost always free. Fridays and Saturdays are when I have "a life," so they wouldn't work out as well.

I understand Max, and generally my weekends are also my "life" time. That's why I am not committing to a single specific day & time, nor even a regular schedule, some weekends I am busy the whole time, others not, and others one day or another is free. When I know I can run a game I'll post about it a week or two in advance and so long as people are available I will run a game on the day and time that I am able. I'll have something up in a bit to explain how it is I can run with a highly variable group from session to session.

In a pinch I figured that the old Beta chat could be used, it has a dice roller and nobody goes there much. However I shall poke at the lump of code that calls itself openRPG and see how it wiggles and squirms.

Re: The Game

Genre: Four-color, Silver/Bronze Age super heroes. We've got an overabundance of the grim & gritty Iron Age, and I'm not really one for the "gee whiz" Golden Age. Stylistically I would like to emulate The Justice League Unlimited type of stories (and I am frightfully aware how likely I am to fail at that) with sessions being akin to Episodes. Some episodes will be stand alone and others will build on earlier stories.

The Setting: There are a couple of options here that could work.

• Emerald City - the "signature setting" for 3e, which is set in Green Ronin's "Freedomverse". The setting book is actually not published but there is some information in the Emerald City Knights Adventure Path as wider setting information within the 2e Freedom City supplements.
  • I could maybe be convinced to run a DC set game within a undefined city within one of the 52 Universes. I'm leaning away from this for the reasons that I don't know the DC 'Verse well, and I'd rather the PCs not reside within the shadow of the likes of the Justice League.
  • A home-grown setting, we'd likely build it together during both char gen and game play with some additional work being done outside of direct play.

The Heroes: The characters will be part of hero team, something akin to the Avengers or the JSA/JLA. Everybody who wants to play will have a spot on the roster and when games come around those players who are able to play will have their PCs be available for duty, while the others are inaccessible for one reason or another. In this way I aim to avoid the scheduling conflicts that RL can sometimes throw in the path of RPGs.

Chargen: I intend all players to work with me to generate their PCs using the Quickstar Character Generator I reviewed a couple of weeks back. My reason behind doing so is to spend less time reviewing characters, give a real stress test of the product (which I feel is excellent), and also provide an "even playing field" such that players less familiar and comfortable with the system will not feel that the veterans are able to "outbuild them." Players can either work with me in chat or via PMs, but this will be a non-negotiable fixed starting point for characters. As part of a super team characters will need to be team players; "loners" who "work best alone" need not apply, at all.

I've never done this before, but I'm happy to use Skype or any other tool. It sounds like fun. laugh

Any of the times Jim is suggesting should be okay for me. Ideal would be Sunday afternoon EST, which puts me at late evening here.

Setting-wise: Home-made or Emerald City is fine by me.

In short: Aye.

IT sounds right up my alley! Unfortunately I don't have the technology (or internet connection) to do it frown

But I really like the idea and I'm totally addicted to the quickstart random character thingy! I've made 2 villain teams and a hero team with it and I'm still not bored!

I'd like to join the roster and see if the playing hours are acceptable for me (because of the before mentioned time difference). If you aim at Sat/Sun afternoons I should be able to log in and be online because that'll be evening for me.

I used to play live-chat games using WebRPG which I think is some kind of predeccessor of OpenRPG. I'm familiar with its use and can recommend it since it has all tools built in to run a game. At least I never had trouble with rolling dice and mapping out areas for both combat or better visual support.

I also agree with what Celeste said - sometimes scenes can involve one or two PCs while the others have to wait in those cases you can have an OOC tab and let the players who are on hold chat with eachother without interrupting the game flow. The same can be used if PCs want to have "private chats".

Anyway - I'd love to be part of this and hope I can make it happen to participate if it won't get too late for me - 3 to 5 hours sound acceptable to me once a month.

As I said before, everybody is welcome to find some time and build a PC with me, and then if you are available for a given session, you can jump right in and play. I'll try and schedule games as far in advance as I can in order to allow people to find room in their own schedules, but I can't offer anything solid.

Re: Chargen The question was asked of me today if players had to buy the GMs Kit in order to build a character. The answer is no it is my intent to work with each and every potential player via chat or PM and use my own kit to guide you all through chargen, I have the PDF and can easily copy/paste the required sections for people as they roll up. The only thing you will need is a copy of the M&M 3e Hero's Handbook and at a willingness to learn the rules if you don't already know them. I'm around most evenings in chat and I can also run PC creation via PM.

Also to assuage any fears that you'll end up playing something you hate, chargen will not be strictly random, players will be free to override the dice and discuss options with me during the process.

A quick tally of those who have displayed interest:

Joani - schedule dependent (Sat/Sun afternoons only), paragon

Ravi - interested, Sunday afternoons best, Crime Fighter

Jeremy - interested, text only, Martial artist

Asa - interested, mystic

Caninicus - interested, psychic

Fox - Interested?

SalmonMax - schedule dependent (Sunday afternoons only)

Celeste/Mala - interested

Dawn - interested

Chosen - interested

AW - schedule dependent (Sunday afternoons only)

TeleForce - interested but unable

A little while ago I helped Joani start up a PC with the GM Kit. I've pasted the chat log below so you can see how easily/quickly it goes:

Quote:
[jameson] 7:03 pm: ok so do you have an archetype in mind or are you going full on random?

[Joani] 7:06 pm: Archetype for sure - Paragon or Brick.

[Joani] 7:07 pm: Paragon, since I always wanted to play a version of Joani in a M&M game

[jameson] 7:07 pm: ok then

[jameson] 7:07 pm: gimme a d20 roll

[Joani] 7:08 pm: one sec

[jameson] 7:08 pm: This is for your abilities/atributes

[Joani] 7:09 pm:

Click to reveal.. (Chargen for Live-Nude-Game)

[Joani] 7:09 pm: that's a 12

[jameson] 7:09 pm: I don't need a link, the number is fine smile

[jameson] 7:09 pm: 7-14 Superhuman: You're a powerful mutant, alien, or human who's gained incredible abilities.

[Joani] 7:09 pm: k

[Joani] 7:10 pm: Alien

[jameson] 7:10 pm: ABILITIES — SUPERHUMAN

STR STA AGL DEX FGT INT AWE PRE

8 8 4 4 8 1 2 2

[jameson] 7:10 pm: wow, that's a formatting fail

[Joani] 7:10 pm: one question - is that based on PL10 with 150 PPs?

[jameson] 7:10 pm: yes

[Joani] 7:10 pm: k, thx

[jameson] 7:10 pm: you'll probably get boosts from your powers

[jameson] 7:11 pm: OK next is Advantages

[jameson] 7:11 pm: d20 please

[Joani] 7:11 pm: good, one sec

[Joani] 7:11 pm: 16

[jameson] 7:12 pm: 14-17 Warrior: You're either naturally talented at fighting or have trained in fighting styles.

[jameson] 7:12 pm: ADVANTAGES — WARRIOR

All-out Attack, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Move-by Action

[jameson] 7:12 pm: How's that sound?

[Joani] 7:13 pm: awesome so far

[Joani] 7:13 pm: got it

[jameson] 7:13 pm: kk, if you don't like something you roll let me know and we can explore the other options

[Joani] 7:14 pm: kk

[jameson] 7:14 pm: it's "semi-random" unless you choose to accept come-what-may

[jameson] 7:14 pm: OK Skills next gimme 2 d20s

[Joani] 7:14 pm: I understand. I'll ask questions/object when there's something I don't like

[Joani] 7:14 pm: 2 rolls, coming up

[Joani] 7:15 pm: first is a 4

[Live Nude Gaming]: has left at 7:15 pm

[Joani] 7:15 pm: second is an 8

[jameson] 7:16 pm: 1-5 Athlete: You're a trained athlete.

6-10 Broad Training: You have a broad set of skills from your education or experiences.

[Joani] 7:16 pm: sounds both acceptable

[jameson] 7:16 pm: SKILLS — ATHLETE

Acrobatics 6, Athletics 6, Perception 4

SKILLS — BROAD TRAINING

Expertise: (Choose one) 4, Insight 2, Perception 2, Persuasion 4, Ranged Combat: Throwing 4

[jameson] 7:16 pm: perception will stack and you will have 6 ranks

[jameson] 7:17 pm: Expertise can be anything from a specific subject to a specific profession

[Joani] 7:17 pm: k - can I choose something different for Ranged Combat - maybe for one of her powers?

[jameson] 7:18 pm: sure, why don't we table that until after you have your powers

[jameson] 7:18 pm: but I'll let you re-allocate those skill ranks

[Joani] 7:18 pm: I just add it up and leave it blank - it's not going to be throwing wink

[jameson] 7:19 pm: that's fine and if you don't end up with a ranged power you can put them into a new skill entirely

[Joani] 7:19 pm: Expertise will need some thinking over, not quiet sure yet what I'll do there

[jameson] 7:19 pm: ok Next is: OFFENSIVE POWERS

[Joani] 7:19 pm: okidoki

[jameson] 7:19 pm: d20

[Joani] 7:19 pm: roll?

[jameson] 7:19 pm: yar

[Joani] 7:20 pm: a 9

[jameson] 7:20 pm: 8-14 Super-strength: Enhanced Strength 4 • 8 points

[Joani] 7:20 pm: heh

[jameson] 7:20 pm: that gives you Str +12

[jameson] 7:20 pm: total I mean wink

[Joani] 7:21 pm: got it

[jameson] 7:21 pm: OK next is DEFENSIVE POWERS

Immunities: Immunity 10 (Life Support) • 10 points

Invulnerability: Protection 4 • 4 points

[jameson] 7:21 pm: no roll needed to that

[Joani] 7:21 pm: one sec

[Joani] 7:22 pm: got it

[jameson] 7:22 pm: ok gimme a d20 for Movement powers

[Joani] 7:22 pm: okidoki

[Joani] 7:23 pm: 11

[Joani] 7:23 pm: +crosses fingers for flight+

[jameson] 7:23 pm: Flight: Flight 8 (500 MPH) • 16 points

[Joani] 7:23 pm: lol

[jameson] 7:24 pm: ok 1 more roll please

[Joani] 7:24 pm: got it

[Joani] 7:24 pm: ok

[Joani] 7:24 pm: for what?

[Joani] 7:24 pm: I'm labelling all my rolls, what is this one for?

[jameson] 7:24 pm: "utility powers"

[Joani] 7:24 pm: k

[Joani] 7:25 pm: another 9

[Joani] 7:25 pm: I'm gonna call myself 84

[jameson] 7:25 pm: 8-11 Enhanced Senses: Senses 6 (Extended Auditory 2, Extended Vision 2, Microscopic Vision, Ultra-Hearing) • 6 points

[Joani] 7:25 pm: cool

[jameson] 7:26 pm: wow, you couldn't have rolled a closer superman knock-off without cherry picking

[Joani] 7:26 pm: I'm laughing real hard right now

[jameson] 7:26 pm: of course you could also use descriptors to detail a very different type of character

[jameson] 7:27 pm: cybernetic and bionic implants could explain many of your powers for instance

[Joani] 7:27 pm: I'll work on that

[Joani] 7:28 pm: I still got 12 points left according to Hero Lab

[jameson] 7:28 pm: or even some kind of energy field that surrounds you

[jameson] 7:28 pm: yeah defenses laugh

[Joani] 7:28 pm: arr

[jameson] 7:28 pm: DODGE PARRY FORTITUDE TOUGHNESS WILL

[Joani] 7:28 pm: another roll?

[jameson] 7:29 pm: +4 +0 +2 +0 +6

[jameson] 7:29 pm: nope. no roll

[jameson] 7:29 pm: your PP allotments shoud read:

[Joani] 7:29 pm: wow - break even 150/150

[jameson] 7:29 pm: POWER POINTS

Abilities 74 Skills 16 Powers 44 Defenses 12 Advantages 4 Total 150

[Live Nude Gaming]: has left at 7:30 pm

[Joani] 7:30 pm: same here

[jameson] 7:30 pm: :up:

[Joani] 7:30 pm: now that was awesome

[jameson] 7:30 pm: less than 30 minutes for a complete PC

[jameson] 7:30 pm: minus your background stuff

[Joani] 7:30 pm: so no Ranged attack

[jameson] 7:30 pm: unless you keep thrown

[Joani] 7:31 pm: would that include cars and such?

[jameson] 7:31 pm: you can put those skill ranks into a different skill though if you want

[jameson] 7:31 pm: that would include cars and such yes

[Joani] 7:32 pm: tell you what? I take it

[jameson] 7:32 pm: ok

[jameson] 7:32 pm: So all you need is a background, some complications, and a choice of Expertise

[jameson] 7:33 pm: maybe find a nice picture

[Joani] 7:33 pm: I will work on background stuff and Complications, also on descriptors etc.

[Joani] 7:33 pm: Got it all, don't worry smile

[Joani] 7:33 pm: just needs to be put into text/prose

And the resulting Character:

Code:
STR STA AGL DEX FGT INT AWE PRE
 12  8   4   4   8   1   2   2

DODGE PARRY FORTITUDE TOUGHNESS WILL
 +8    +8      +10      +12      +8

ADVANTAGES 
All-out Attack, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Move-by Action

SKILLS 
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 6 (+18), Perception 6 (+8), Expertise: (Choose one) 4 (+5), 
   Insight 2 (+4), Persuasion 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Throwing 4 (+8)

POWERS
Super-strength: Enhanced Strength 4 • 8 points
Immunities: Immunity 10 (Life Support) • 10 points
Invulnerability: Protection 4 • 4 points
Flight: Flight 8 (500 MPH) • 16 points
Enhanced Senses: Senses 6 (Extended Auditory 2, Extended Vision 2, 
                 Microscopic Vision, Ultra-Hearing) • 6 points

POWER POINTS
Abilities 74 Skills 16 Powers 44 Defenses 12 Advantages 4 Total 150

OK. SO there's plenty enough interest in this (as evidenced by a 2 hour session of chargen last night for 4 players).

I still need to determine what program to use (or default to Beta chat), and get at least some basic setting information up. Please bear with me while I do so.

It was really really fun and worth waiting for (it was past 1AM over here). Anyway, sure I would've created some kind of Array to get more versatility out of the built but this is working, too. I suppose there's room for later growth and for starters it is a real sound system.

Maybe I'll get it myself, it was fun and somewhat exciting waiting to hear what my dice-rolls resulted. The irony being that it turned out a PC almost exactly as I wanted, an alternate version of my first PC here on the boards, namely Joani.

Looking forward to the game now, even more than before.

Created a thread for characters HERE.

I've decided that even though the setting book for it isn't out yet (and isn't expected until August-ish) I'm going to fudge my way through using the new Emerald City setting. I lieu of a proper map I'll be using Seattle and Google Maps when needed. I shall start a setting thread at some point in the near future.

In addition to this I am going to run the Emerald City Knights adventure path (in parts if not in its entirety) which I reviewed the first two parts of HERE. I ask that you not purchase or download these to read as they will spoil some of the game if you do. If you have already done so, or were planning to run it or play it within another game please let me know and I will keep that in mind.

Re-posted from a now deleted post in the Setting thread:

Quote:
Quick question, since I have seen a bit of the prologue (but will halt my advance accordingly): Is this game going to start pre-Storm, post-Storm, or other? This might affect my background when I get around to fully posting the character, though not significantly, I should add.

Originally Posted By: Joani
If I'm reading this right the PCs are going to be one of few and not one of many heroes in the Emerald City?

Correct, at the outset Emerald City is relatively quiet in terms of both super heroics and super villainy. Things change however and heroes are soon called upon to step up and keep the city safe.

Originally Posted By: Mel Grimson
Re-posted from a now deleted post in the Setting thread:

Quote:
Quick question, since I have seen a bit of the prologue (but will halt my advance accordingly): Is this game going to start pre-Storm, post-Storm, or other? This might affect my background when I get around to fully posting the character, though not significantly, I should add.

This will start just prior to the Silver Storm. Some players may take part in the events of the Storm itself directly (as laid out in the Prologue).

A couple notes on characters & backgrounds...

Emerald City is part of the same world as 2e's Freedom City, including the same government agencies and world organizations. Heroes and villains from those books may show up from time to time. I'll do my best to make sure people without access to those materials have enough information to go by.

As an additional note, please, please, please, be open minded to constructive suggestions and feedback from myself and other players regarding your characters. Much like a true table top game I want this to be casual and fun and more importantly for all of us to work together to meet those goals. I rarely pull veto power on background stuff or powers, and I hope I won't have to do so here, but please be willing to work with me and your fellow players if somethings changing.

Thanks.

Barring something within the ECK Adventure Path Freedom City (the city) will have little bearing on the game. The larger setting aspects like AEGIS, UNISON, SHADOW, STAR Squad, and the like are all likely to tie into things (and I know for a fact that AEGIS does). Ex: Talking with Ravi this morning in chat his character is likely to have ties to UNISON. SHADOW is a prominent evil organization (Think HYDRA from Marvel) that will possibly (likely) have tangential ties to the game (always nice to put an impossibly huge evil organization behind things).

Players are welcome to tap these resources when writing their backgrounds up, or ignore them completely. The link Jeremy provided (thanks BTW) is actually almost too comprehensive, but it does provide short blurbs, and I may shamelessly steal from it when needed.

Because I (and possibly you as well) will be using the your character sheets as reference during game please use the following format for your combat stats please. Please use only the total values (I don't want a breakout of your saves by source here), with any relevant notes if you have a removable bonus (like armor). This will help provide a quick and easy to find block of the most commonly used combat stats for all of us.

Combat:

• Initiative +x
  • Close Attacks
    • Unarmed +X Damage +X
    • [attack name] +X Damage +X (notes)
  • Ranged Attacks
  • Saves
    • Dodge +X
    • Parry +X
    • Fortitude +X
    • Will +X
    • Toughness +X (notes)
Code:
Combat:
  • Initiative +x
  • Close Attacks
    • Unarmed +X Damage +X
    • Ranged Attacks

[*]Saves

[*]Dodge +X [*]Parry +X [*]Fortitude +X [*]Will +X [*]Toughness +X (notes)

Archived