World of Darkness: The Darkness of Space - New Game: The Darkness of Space

LydaLynn

Very good. That's what I needed to know, I think. Dwarf Fortress with wings. Excavate rock, carve it and sell for profit.

Oh, a couple of biological questions. Are the Tanygres actually made of stone as the art suggests, and what is their diet?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They arn't made of stone, though their skin is thick, tough and rough and some of the less educated of the other races think they are. They are adapted to live in thinner air and colder temperatures. Tanygres are omnivores and mostly subsist on insects and mosses but can eat most things - pine nuts are an especial delicacy.

They do carve and sell rock - both as art pieces and as fictional building blocks and columns. But their most valuable resource is copper. They have some artisans who work in gold and silver, but both are fairly common on Incarnum and so worth little. Copper is both rare and useful and copper deposits are worth much in trade. Various gemstones are also produced during cave excavation, however gems are not of great value. The highest class people of all races will sometimes wear gemstones as bright bobbles, but most Incarnum peoples associate gemstones with crystals and crystals with magic and the Myst.

Okay, here is a rough draft of background and character sheet for your consideration. While I may have taken some liberties regarding the culture and society of the Tanygres, I've tried to keep to the tone already established.

As a side note, I'm considering taking up your offer regarding the True Love merit. However, I don't want to start the game with that sort of relationship, and while I have no objection to you doing the matchmaking I'm somewhat leery about committing myself to true love sight-unseen.

Click to reveal.. (Awakening)

Balsifor was born into a sept carved into the sides of a great canyon. As was custom, his sept-mother taught him of history and beauty and his sept-father taught him of labor and life. In this way do all Tanygres learn what is needful for safety and prosperity until it is time for craft-taking and Name-giving.

Now, all hatchlings learn to carve rock, to hollow chambers and polish stone until it reflects the faintest light, and all hatchlings learn something of the songs and chants of the winged-rock-folk, but this hatchling was gifted beyond his peers and so the elders smiled their slow smiles and set themselves to wait for all his gifts to unfold in the sureness of time.

And so it was during one bright-moon, as the hatchling set the cliffs ringing and the canyon echoing with the song, and the Sept chanted the wisdom of earth and air, that the Hatchling was overcome with the harmony of rock and wind and dark and sound and awakened into the ways of True Magick.

Now the birth of the wizard-wise is no small thing to the winged-rock-folk and must be properly observed with ritual and feast and song, and especially with Naming. For all Tanygres yield much strength and beauty to the septs, but the wizard-wise devote themselves to a long study that strengthens their gifts manifold. As the elders considered what name truly spoke the hatchling's nature, against all custom the hatchling himself glided into their circle.

Wearing a face of stone for such a joyous celebration the hatchling-no-longer uttered his first words of maturity.

"Strangers have come to Incarnum bearing blessing and curse, and to them I must go, to prepare the septs against the coming storm."

And the elders named the hatchling-no-longer Balsifor, Singer of Prophecy, and stealing him from the feast, set him to prepare for his journey.

Click to reveal.. (Apprenticeship)

"Listen, I'm sorry you had to endure all that earlier. The elders made me record it as a chant as part of my training, and while it may not be my style, if I had to do it, I wanted to do it right, or at least as best I could."

"Just, don't go getting the wrong idea about me from that, okay? I'm not like that at all. Well, I mean it's true, I really did do and say those things... augh, forget it. Nevermind. They let me record this part my way. So here goes."

"My little pronouncement ended up putting quite a damper on the feast. Everyone was too polite to say so, but I got a lot of dirty looks for quite some time to come. But, hey, it's not like I really wanted to do that. I mean, a birthday only comes once and I sure didn't want to ruin mine; it's just something I had to do. Oh, and I should probably tell you what Balsifor really means. That whole Singer of Prophecy is literally true as far as it goes, but there's a whole context to that name that you wouldn't get if you didn't know the chants. It really means Unwelcome Prophet, kinda like your Cassandra if I'm understanding your own chants."

"Anyway, I became apprentice to one of the elders, the one who could also use magic, naturally enough. The lessons started that same night; he didn't even let me finish the feast. Several months in, I thought I was beginning to understand why. The lessons never ended. I learned chants and riddles and fungi water. Did you know there are thousands of types of water? He made sure that I kept practicing my singing and rock polishing, too. It was like they were trying to cram a twenty-year apprenticeship into six months, which wasn't all that far from the truth."

"What he didn't teach me was magic. The closest I ever got to a lesson in magic was when he presented me with Betra, that flying squirrel you've seen with me, and told me to study and take care of her. No, her name doesn't mean anything. We just liked the sound of it. When the lessons started getting really hard, she would sneak off and bring me pine nuts. Sometimes I think that giving me Betra wasn't a lesson as much as it was an apology."

"Anyway, as I studied all these non-magical things, I discovered that I was starting to understand magic. I understood matter by studying crystal and rock. I understood fate and decay by observing how fungi grew. The riddles and chants I learned opened my mind to others'. But song, well, I discovered that I could change the living by singing."

"I started small, of course. I had been studying some luminescent fungi that we use deep in our caverns to provide light. I coaxed them to grow faster, larger, and in quite an artistic pattern, if I do say so myself. My mentor came in and stopped cold. He didn't quite scold me, but softly and steadily told me that during the Myst-storm the races had been changed and many could no longer mate because of it, and in recognition of that, the people no longer changed others without their consent save in defense of their own life. The subtext was that what I had done wasn't exactly forbidden, but it was a grey area, and the fewer who saw such a thing, the better."

"After that, my training intensified, and my mentor (Sorry, I can't tell you his name. You don't have his permission to know it.) personally oversaw aspects that I hadn't known he was skilled in. I learned to live off the land, I learned a little about defending myself with the obsidian weapons my folk favor and making them from other stone in a pinch. I learned something of the ways of the other peoples and even of spirits and he put me to work collecting and studying feathers. I'm sure that later it will have some astounding mystical significance, but for now they just make me sneeze."

Then he told me that time was at and end and to prepare myself for the Rite.

Click to reveal.. (Character Sheet)

Name: Balsifor

Essence: Questing

Demeanor: Celebrant

Nature: Architect

Str. **

Dex. *****

Sta. ***

Cha. ***

Man. *

App. **

Per. ***

Int. **

Wit. ***

Flaw: Bardic Tongue (1 pt.)

Flaw: Curiosity (2 pt.)

Flaw: Limited Sphere: Life (Only usable on others with consent or for self-defense) (2 pt.)

Talents

Alertness *, Athletics *, Awareness ***, Dodge *, Expression ***

Skills

Crafts (Rock Carving/Polishing) ****, Etiquette **, Meditation *, Melee *, Performance (Singing) ****, Stealth *, Survival **

Knowledges

Cosmology **, Enigmas **, Law *

Arete ***

Willpower 5/5

Quintessence/Paradox 5/0

Spheres

Entropy *(Mushroom/Fungus Focus)

Life *** (Song/Chant Focus) [sometimes carved into runes]

Matter * (Crystal/Gem Focus)

Mind * (Riddles/Poetry/Chant Focus) [sometimes carved into runes]

Prime * (Water/fluid Focus)

Spirit (Feathers Focus) [presently studying]

Resonance

Dynamic (Inspiring) *

Entropic (Silent)

Static (Harmonious)

Backgrounds:

Familiar *

Mentor **

Freebie points spent:

8 pts. for Arete 2 and 3

7 pts. for Life 3

2 pts. for Crafts 4

2 pts. for Performance 4

1 pt. for Mentor 2

-5 pts. from flaws

15 pts. total.

I'm having . . . a day. There's no real way to describe the day I'm having - but right now my brain doesn't work. It might be a few days before RL settles and I can think again. I appreciate you getting this to me and I will look at it as soon as I can, but right now I'm just not up to it. I'm sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

I am moved - life is settling somewhat into a regular pattern - there's still stuff to resolve, but I should be able to get back on the boards regularly soon. Then only thing keeping me from that now is that my computer is not yet set up and I'm having to borrow time on this one. Once mine is up I should be able to get on at least once a day. I have a huge family reunion coming up for the first week of May - but would like to have the game start shortly after they leave [second week of May]. If those who have not yet gotten character sheets in for approval could do so, that would be appreciated. I apologize for this extended delay and thank you all for your understanding and patience.

@Caninicus - you character looks good. With an Avatar rating that high - I would like to have some information on how Balsifor sees/interacts/etc with the avatar. Otherwise, I think you are good to go.

Lyda, Balsifor hasn't interacted much with his avatar yet, just once or twice, I think. The first time (except for possibly Awakening) was during his name-day celebration, where he was led to forgo the security of his sept and seek out the strangers.

Aside from his avatar having a rather strong personality, I'm not sure. I'd guess that like the other typical Questing avatars, his avatar would be feminine (opposite his gender), not necessarily Tanygres, and prone to communicating in dreams or voices in his head.

Still wondering if your offer of the True Love merit stands.

Guest Anonymous

As for avatar - I can work with that.

For true love - yes, anyone with a supernatural character [pure mortals of any species can buy it - but aren't eligible for it as a freebie] can choose to take an unknown true love for free to be introduced in game at my desecration.

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
As for avatar - I can work with that.

For true love - yes, anyone with a supernatural character [pure mortals of any species can buy it - but aren't eligible for it as a freebie] can choose to take an unknown true love for free to be introduced in game at my desecration.

Somehow I wasn't logged in after I logged in [can't wait to get my own computer back].

Also - I'm planning on starting on the 17th.

Was thinking of either redoing this guy oWoD style...

or...

Had an idea for a peaceful, aspiring Zen-master Akashic Brother who wanders the Universe like Cain from Kung Fu, letting Dharma take him to the place where he should be.

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
...For true love - yes, anyone with a supernatural character [pure mortals of any species can buy it - but aren't eligible for it as a freebie] can choose to take an unknown true love for free to be introduced in game at my desecration.

I hope you meant at your discretion, not that you'd be desecrating the True Love for free. I think I'll take you up on your offer.

And since the house rules mentions specifically that the Kitsune are immune from the Delirium, I should assume it to be in place. As a fair warning, I'm probably going to take the Kinfolk Merit just so that we don't have my poor mortal running from combat every time other PCs go 'grrr-argh!' Just seems prudent.

Originally Posted By: Tejah
And since the house rules mentions specifically that the Kitsune are immune from the Delirium, I should assume it to be in place. As a fair warning, I'm probably going to take the Kinfolk Merit just so that we don't have my poor mortal running from combat every time other PCs go 'grrr-argh!' Just seems prudent.

Who says we'll be going 'grrr-argh!'? That's stereotyping, that is! I feel so... pigeonholed.

@Dawn - character sheets by the 15th at the latest.

@Owns - since I don't know that character - I can't really voice an opinion - but for the most part I'm pretty open and accepting with characters - I'll just find fun ways to twist them into the plot as I see fit. P.S. Rule the pigeons!

@Tejah - Check on the account. As for delirium . . . I know the effects will be less, though I haven't completely figured out how much less. Kitsune do no invoke delirium - other weres invoke lessened - still working on the particulars. Mundanes will be affected - anyone with a supernatural type is immune to delirium.

@Caninicus - listen to my thoughts - forget the typing - it lies.

@Darrik - I hate to see you back out - I think your race idea is promising - just needs a little more to fill it out and it could really work well. If you don't want to play - I respect that - but if you just need some help with a character, please stick around and I'll see if I can't give you a hand.

As of this moment - I'm actually typing on my own computer!!! I do now have a job - so I have hours I have to keep - but having a computer again will make life so much better. I should be able to get on at least once a day now. The visiting family is leaving tomorrow and the house will once more setting into something like normal - giving me more time to pull out the books and check over characters. Those who have been approved are good to go - I'll take a couple days to look over the messages with characters I have waiting and will get those back as soon as I can. Thank you all for your patience.

Greetings, all.

Thanks, LydaLynn, for the invite into your game. I look forward to playing with all of you. LydaLynn and I are old friends IRL, and she has given me permission to reincarnate an old character of mine I only managed to play in two or three sessions with.

His name is Professor Ebonardo Lakindy, a kind-hearted, awkward mage who is also a scholar of antiquities, particularly clay pots.

Archived