Nobilis 3rd Edition

Krul

Some of you may know the game, Nobilis, the game of playing Avatars and Incarnations of things like Death, Darkness, Hope, Dogs, Storys, Inspiration, Silly Things, Fear, or even stuff like Shattered Glass, Forgotten Papers or String..

In any case the 3rd Edition is now available here.. for about $20 at the moment.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=89003

The layout is rather nice, if not quite as lovely as my second edition book, and I like it that Amanada (Imperitor of Murder, Infinity and the Fourth Age to Come) is given as much focus as the Lord Entropy, the Imperitor we love to hate (even that love is forbidden, of course), but more importantly fear (which makes him happy of course), and Surolam is well covered also, three of the four.

Cityback and The Evil World (Amanda and Entropy's chancels) are better covered as well, which I'm quite happy about.

There is also a fairly good explanation of the different types of Imperitors one can have, and what the usual personality of a particular imperitor is likely to be (Aaron's Serpent's may be the easiest to serve, but the hardest to fit into the world)

As to other parts of the World Ash, and chancels, there are nice sidebars that cover the aspects of each, such as Heaven making things like itself, or Hell always being with you, or the fact that it hurts.. or everything in Cityback being alive, unless it's tamed, at which point it dies. These aspects characterize traveling to these realms, and give the HG a good idea of how to run things there.. if you visit Heaven it will change you, and if you visit Hell it will hurt you, etc.

On a side note, I rather like the way it's described, being a power of hell can be glorious and noble, hurting for the world, but it will hurt you, or you can be venal and destructive with it.. hurting others.. but still this will hurt you. [before, I tended to prefer Angelic or Wild Imperitors.. but I like the idea of loving a fallen Angel, and seeking to help or even redeem it]

Attributes have changed, we still have Aspect and Domain, but now we have Persona and Treasure instead of Spirit and Realm... Persona is sort of like Spirit, but more, sense it allows you to personify or even become parts of your estate, and more, what were formerly miracles of change are also covered here.. Treasures now covers anchors, wonders and miraculous items you might have, each level of Treasure adds an extra point for bonds only, on a side note, it is now to possible to have a group as a single anchor, or a object, which is cool, this also covers a place or sanctum of sorts that you might have.

There is also a life path part, for character creation, to make character design easier, and 16 basic keys to create a character, two of which you take.. this is an optional part, but I like it a lot, it's really useful, and following can really let you flesh out the character and make them more organic and real feeling.

Just like the previous books there are also interesting sidebars and interjections some of which are very funny parts, personally, I like 'Your Opponent has mistakenly brought a knife to a global thermonuclear affiliation fight'

What was previously bonds has been changed, what was once 20 points for bonds and anchors is now 13 points for bonds and afflictions, and 7 points to relate to your estate. I like how this was done, read the book yourself for details.

I'll keep an eye on it, I believe that the PDF is out now, the actual hardback book is coming out in April or something like that.

The Actual Nobilis website is here: http://www.eos-sama.com/nobilis/index.html

I looked at the Gallery, and the Cover art as well as author is described there, so I'm not sure what the art issue is.

However, I also looked at something and I may have gotten an advance copy as the Date on it says 5/14/2011

Jenna Moran discovered an issue with one of her artists, who has a bad habit of tracing other people's work. She took down the PDF and is holding up production until she can get new and (hopefully) better art. (I don't give a damn about art, but copyright violation is something else altogether.)

So, a slight delay. Still, I got a copy before the kerfuffle, and I think the game itself is soooo much better than in past editions. nana

• 1 month later...

Archived