Aberrant RPG - Has something nasty happened to Aberrant?

SJEllis

Dear all,

I was just lurking around the White Wolf Aberrant forum when I saw some mention that WW have handed the Aberrant line over to 'the last chance saloon' that is Arthaus.

Does anyone know if this is true and has been confirmed in a press release?

When did it hapen? (Choke, sob) Why did it happen.........

Many thanks

Steve.

I don't think there is really anything we can do to keep it out of Arthaus. I think it's Arthausing has as much to do with Kraig as it does the game. One problem I have heard a few times is that stores will buy a few copies of any Aberrant game book, sell out of them, and then not reorder.

Realistically, Arhaus isn't that bad. It does mean only 4 books a year, but IMHO that's enough to keep the game going strong. There will be less/no art, which doesn't bother me that much either, as the art was never it's strong point.

What can you do to keep Aberrant going? Help promote it in some way. Run a demo at your local store. Just tell your local store owner that it's a great game, and try to get them to stock more books.

My apologizes. I did not mean to imply that Arthaus would do the game harm. I am still worried about the fate of the game, but as long as it still gets distributed, we should survive. What effect will this have on Trinity, the Aberrant/Trinity tie in, and the possible 1920's prequel to it all?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
What effect will this have on Trinity, the Aberrant/Trinity tie in, and the possible 1920's prequel to it all?

Let me start by saying all of this is just my opinion.

Now, Aberrant's move to Arthaus will have little or no impact on Trinity. While in the same universe, both games hold their own destiny. I see Trinity getting a few more years worth of books (and at 2 books a year, that isn't that much.

I think Aberrant will make it at least to the Aberrant war. They are going 4 years of game time per actual year, so by that we should have 9 more years of books. If that were to hold true, the game would have done very well. The Aberrant/Trinity tie in is still up in the air. If that happens, I think it would be a few years away at best.

I'm more interested in seeing what direction they will take the Universe from here, rather than what will happen with the game lines.

And Adventure will probably go to Arthaus in it's first year, or probably by it's first supplement.

Yeah, it surprised me a little when I first heard that they were making a new game line out of it. I still don't think it will be much more than a supplement though. I have always enjoyed that type of game however, and am anxiously awaiting it's release.

I do think that it is really cool that the Aeon Universe can cover almost any genre of RPG.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
So, Chosen, how did you get the rating of Aberrant?

As Administrator, I get to have a special title. rolleyes.gif If, or when, the forum picks up enough for me to get a moderator, they will be Proteus. Once everyone else reaches 30 posts they become a nova.

I wish I could give you fame and fortune, but alas, that is not possible. So I guess all you will get is the honor and privilege of knowing that you have dedicated more time to these forums than anyone else.

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting or wanting?

Jager, I am at work too. Guess those statistic about abuse of the internet at work were right! Chosen, I wasn't really expecting anything, just having a laugh. BTW I noticed you have to click to two screens to get to Opposing Views, and the second link is not terribly obvious. Maybe make the link direct or increase the font size on the second link to a H1?

Way ahead of you. One of my dogs is part Pit Bull (she ate my glasses). Mind you, that was nothing compared to the tragedy back in 97 when a Hurricane came through and flooded my apartment. Lost all of my first addition D&D, Twilight 2000, and BattleTech stuff. I don't even want to remember all the paperbacks that bought the farm.

Well, a couple of points on Aberrant and ArtHaus...

What do we have left for major books? Advanceent books, the CoP/Mega Att books, and?

And it would seem Abbie still has a decent sized schedule for this year. Trinity's also getting a push, with two new books, and the potential for more if we buy like there's no tomorrow...

Changeling's also doing well on ArtHaus.

Finally, it's been said a lot of places that Aberrant is on Arthuas so KB could work on other prjects. That means it's not because sales, and lack of sales aree what kill Arthaus books, right?

Don't worry too much. Just be thankfull that the line hasn't been abandoned.

------------------

The Eleventh Wonder of the World.

Hype, Sacrelige, Uniforms...

Does anyone know if arthaus has a website speerate from WW?

I've never seen one, nor can I find email addresses for the line developers.

And where on earth do they announce these things officially? or do they keep bad news quite whilst they trumpet on the home page the news about 'Adventure!'.

Steve

I have never seen a seperate Arthaus page. They are probabily scared that we would all flood it and never return to the WW homapages :-)

On the subject of new Aberrant releases we could have the Worldwide Phase 3 onward books, the mega sttributes books (C.O.P.), new technology book, another worldbook detailing locations, a minibook detailing all powers in a single location (possibily with a list of suggested aberrations), a future book for trinity crossovers. Can't think of anything else.

Now y'all know how all us lowly WRAITH players felt! wink.gif No no, I just kid.

Seriously, I don't think the move to ArtHaus itself is a bad idea, but I think it really is indicative of how high up in White Wolf's priority hierarchy Aberrant is. Come on, WW made a living off selling spooky vamps and twink-wet-dream werewolves. Now all of a sudden a shitload of peeps who would never even touch that garbage (ooooh, unapologetic swipe at V:tM and W:tA. I'm a bad man. :-O), myself included, are suddenly picking up WW books with "Aberrant" on the cover. Not to mention their old fans as well. But they can't alienate their old fans by suddenly hyping the superhero game. They'd lose their core fan base. So they relegate Aberrant to ArtHaus, give it a run of 4 books a year, everyone's happy. I think this means Aberrant was doing better than we thought, or at least way better than WW expected, which is still a coup. Props to us!

DISCLAIMER: Please don't flame me for WoD crack. I'm funny. And I'm still bitter about the Wraith thing.

------------------

"When did HE become a nova? Natural Agitator? No sh!t, dude!"

Did Wraith get the axe? What exactly happened to its production? I follow Vamp.: the Dark Ages, mostly. V:tM is a close second with M:tA and W:tA coming in far behind. Wraith just never really grabbed me and I only tracked some of the sourcebooks.

Remember that Warith was designed to end anyways. They had a definitive end in mind, they merely made it sooner to plug wraith.

Of course, the Trinity game was designed to wind down as well, from quotes by the head honchos...

------------------

Ermmm...Hunter, I Meant. I'd edit the post, but I've got a reply to do to.

Yeah. First Wraith's Death ties to Hunter, then they tie in the new book, Mummy, to it.

Back to the subject at hand...

ArtHaus does not equal immediate and painful death. Just look at changeling. If we love a game enough, buy enough books, support it, it stays alive. Wraith wasn't even ArtHaused, if I recall, specifically for the reasons I gave above.

I'm a little worried myself, but if we keep buying the books, we'll be in good shape with our Aberrant fix. Same with Trinity.

------------------

You're absolutely right. We should give up completely.

And wow, you have the new Aberrant books? The ones on the block for the Arthaus run? Those are the ones that will determine sales.

And remember, it's been said that Blackwelder moved it to Arthaus because of his own projects. They aren't abandoning you just because they're on AH now. You've bought all the books, why are you so worried?

------------------

I don't think Arthaus is as bad a fate as it could be. Four books a year is not to bad. I have a question; I heard that the Trinity book Aurora Australis did really well and that some of the Arthaus books sell very, very well.

What is the criteria for sending a line to Arthaus? Is it sales or something else. I am curious, does anyone know.

• 2 weeks later...

Ranger, you hopeless romantic. Actually, I think that Aberrant players have generated a large number of non-Utopian novas that would take up the protection of humanity in a nova-baseline war, making it a much closer thing. Still, I am reminded of the Valar coming to Middle Earth at the conclusion of the Great Noldor wars.

Archived