Book Review: Soon I Will Be Invincible

RPG Post

sooniwillbeinvincible.jpgSoon I Will Be Invincible

Supervillains rule. Or at least they want to. Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman gives us a glimpse into the psyche of one such villain, a scientist of unmatched intellect doused in a chemical spray when an experiment goes wrong. Doctor Impossible. But it also runs a parallel story, that intertwines, about heroes. One hero in particular, Fatale, a cyborg, and her motivations, fears, questions and desires as she integrates into a reformed group of champions. The New Champions, coincidently.

This is a good book. Not a good superhero book. Not good fantasy or science fiction story, a genre piece to be quietly tucked into its bookstore ghetto. This is a well-written story with well drawn characters, psychological insights, questions of humanity's plight and existence and humor that arises comfortably out characters and situations. That is the kind of pronouncement that frequently got me into hot water in graduate school, so take it as you will.

[end_news_blurb]

Superheroes and Supervillains and Super Psychology

Motive. Some heroes are more interesting to me than others. And some villains. Not that I would not be happy with any superpower, except maybe Matter Eating Lad's, but it's not the power(s), it is how power is used that gets my attention. Why it is used that way. I would not want, nor expect to be, a boy-scout when suddenly my powers erupt. My mind hasn't worked like that up until now, why would it when suddenly given powers? So why are some heroes, converted later in life, so smarmy, in-your-face good all the time? You know the temptation to use special vision to look in the girl's (boy's) locker room has to be there. Also to wreck the car of the jerk who cut you off.

Doctor Impossible has some hints for up and coming villains. Have a nemesis. Have an obsession. And have a reason--”A girl you couldn't get, parents slain before your eyes, a nagging grudge against the world.” And he reveals at the beginning one of the dangers of super intelligence: “...the smartest of the smartest of the smartest, times a thousand. It makes sense that people would be a little odd out here. But you really have to wonder why we all end up in jail.”

Super intelligent, didn't get the girl, grudge against the world. Hell, minus the first part, that's me. Combined with a lack of empathy and I am well on my way to villaindom. Now if I could just have some superpowers.

Monologuing and Supervillains

Doctor Impossible comments on his own need to reveal too much. Syndrome comments on it in The Incredibles. The book is filled with interior monologues. Doctor Impossible has no peers, he isn't part of an evil doer collective. If he doesn't speak to himself, how can we the audience know what he thinks and feels? Be aware if you prefer non-stop action and show don't tell heroics, the book will drag in a few spots. It all worked for me. If anything his thoughts seemed more ...normal ...than one would expect from genius. Especially being a megalomaniacal, obsessed evil genius. But then, how could we, pathetic mortals understand?

What Others Have To Say.

Originally Posted By: Publishers Weekly
"The realm of comic book heroes and villains gets a dose of realism in this whimsical debut from game design consultant Grossman. The story shifts between the perspectives of Doctor Impossible, a brilliant scientist turned world's greatest menace, and Fatale, a lonely cyborg and the newest addition to the venerable group of heroes known as the Champions. Though he's been out of commission for a while, Doctor Impossible hatches a scheme to knock the planet out of orbit ("As the Earth grows colder, my power becomes apparent, and the nations submit," he reasons). Meanwhile, Champions leader Corefire goes missing, and Fatale has to learn the ropes of superherodom as the conventional climactic showdown (at Doctor Impossible's secret lair) draws near. However fantastical, the characters (including a "genetic metahuman" and "an elite fairy guard") are thoughtfully portrayed, with Fatale—stuck in a perpetual existential crisis—bemused over the Champions' purpose, and Doctor Impossible wondering "whether the smartest man in the world has done the smartest thing he could with his life." Grossman dabbles in a host of themes—power, greed, fame, the pitfalls of ego—in this engrossing page-turner, broadening the appeal of an already inviting scenario."

The book is fun, relatively short (less than 300 pages), and well written. I recommend it. My mother, not a comic book aficionado, enjoyed it. She recommended it to me. So, uh, two thumbs up.

Check out Soon I Will Be Invincible at Amazon.

Archived