Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Staying Alive

Joani

• 1 month later...

The Extractor who spotted seemed to be surprised for a second but still managed to squeeze off a shot from his rifle which hit the door they just left behind. The sound of the gunshot alerted his team mates and instantly half a dozen Extractors appeared “out of the thin air” around them as they dropped their cloaks in order to engage their new targets...

Combat starts: Savannah goes first, then Simon

Nellis Airforce Base

"I'm a doctor, not a combat engineer. If an opening can be made that is large and stable enough for me to squeeze through, then I'll be more than happy to dive through head first. Are there any walls, windows or ceilings that we could go through to bypass this debris and get to those inside quicker? If not, tell those inside to use strips of cloth to apply pressure to the General's wounds until we can get in there." He paused and took a minute to breath and recompose himself and also gave Hicks a chance to answer.

Hicks shook his head at Kevin his eyes giving away that he felt the same like him.

"Unless you know of an alternate route in, or expect to have an opening cleared within the next 5 minutes, I suggest you get me a fast jeep and let me help those that we can actually get to. It may be possible that I can at least stabilize some of them so that they won't die while we're trying to get them more complete care. You brought me here, now let me do my job."

“Can you give instructions while you treat the injured here? I can organise a headset...”, Kevin could tell that Hicks was caught between doing the right thing and following his orders. His priorities were defined by chain of command and rescuing the General had top priority.

“Can you do this?”, he repeated his question offering a hand and hoping that Kevin wouldn’t turn him down, else he’d have to force a decision... probably.

"Yes, I can do that," Kevin replied. "You get me a headset and I'll be more than happy to walk them through the triage." His voice was even, but even as he said it he was edging away towards the awaiting jeeps. "I'll be just over here, with the closest of the wounded. When you get the headset just come and give it to me. I'll even relay through someone if that would be easier, they can hold it while I talk. Doesn't matter, so long as we save as many lives as possible."

Kevin wasn't trying to be stubborn, obstinate, or anything like that, but it was clear that he was going to do everything in his power to save as many lives as possible. Once he was done talking, he headed straight for the jeep, pointing out the closest wounded and uttering the phrase "and step on it!"

Treatment check

Roll: 1 +13 Modifier = +14

• 5 weeks later...

Things looked grim - actually more than he had expected. Kevin had battlefield experience, possibly more than all the commanding officers combined at Nellis but the damage he saw here had reached a new level.

Most men they retrieved were already dead or on the verge of dying. The collateral damage caused by several explosions was just too much for the human body to take. Even those who had not suffered burns had smashed internat organs and bones from the shockwaves caused by the high-tech weapons used... and possibly by mutant powers. He had seen mutants go rampant but this must've been caused by a class IV or higher at least. Someone who was reckless and didn't care about his own survival which would make this entire operation a suicide mission. But what for? There must've been a reason.

In the meantime Kevin received confirmation that the communication link was established. The soldier on the other end of the line was obviously nervous and breathing heavily as he tried to report the situation.

"The General is bleeding from several wounds. One seems to be just underneath his left shoulder. The others are down his right leg. We had to pull him from under a construction beam which had collapsed on half of the room. He's conscious but in serious pain."

Kevin could tell that the soldier had some basic medical training but seemed to lack experience.

SG - I'm tempted to give you a HP for your impossible bad luck in rolling dice... this is getting scary...

Archived