Mutants & Masterminds: Legacy - Issue #4 Challenges

Joani

Karra was completely bewildered by what everyone was saying - it hardly made sense to her. The King is my daddy? She guessed he was big enough, but he didn't seem like someone her mother would like, he was so... cold. And not cold in a good way like how the Mountain Palace was cold, making her feel even stronger and more invigorated.

And she didn't like being told to hide. Mom said because we're so strong, we should help people when we can.

Karra folded her arms across her chest, prodigious muscles bulging, her prominent chest heaving, and stamped a foot on the ground, causing it to tremble despite its mountain-carved construction.

"I wanna help stop the MageLords, uh... father?" Karra declared with plaintive confusion, but her deep, powerful voice grew firmer and more confident as she continued. "They're bad! I'm - I mean we're - strong, we shouldn't hide away in a mountain, no matter how pretty and cold it is. We should be doing all we can to stop the MageLords and help the small elfy people and the Mean Dragon Lady... I, um, we sorta made a promise to help her save the Furry Place because she help us save our home too. And mom said I should always keep my promises. So I'm gonna help stop the MageLords, no matter what you say. You can't ground me and lock me in my room!"

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aeonian reads the expressions and nature of those surrounding her. She knows he back might be against the ropes if she can't understand just how her staff works in this world. It's obvious that the Frost Giants are bitter about something in the past in regards to the Elven nation and their own.

The cold didn't seem to bother her as she assessed her next diplomatic move. Her robes doing as well here as her suit would in the antarctic or deep space.

"I doubt diplomacy or any sort of negotiation will work, Teletha. Their doom comes for them as it comes for us. If they cannot see the logic in coming to the aid not only of their rival, but to all life in this world... then perhaps they truely deserve what is coming?

Perhaps all life deserves this doom.

It's sad really... my interest doesn't reside in power or glory, but to see that the greater good is served to all life under the sun..." She states in a frustrated tone, sounding like a disappointed professor pointing out the failings of their student. "Pity... to know that the end of life in this world would come through apathy and antagonism."

Click to reveal..
Aeonian is trying to appeal to the Frost Giants through a classic Captain Picard ploy... the guilt trip.

Persuation roll... Aeonian *rolls* 1d20: 8+14: 22

Note this was with the chat roller, next time I'll use the standard one.

The Mountain King's Hall

Originally Posted By: Tesstarossa

She didn't bother looking to the others, and drew herself to her full height, which was less than impressive amidst giants. "Even if you do not actively help us, I ask that you at least consider a treaty of nonagression, let the detente between our peoples end."

“Treaty with you? NEVER!“, the Mountain King spat standing up from his mighty throne.

“You treacherous, honorless ELVES never keep your word. The first moment we show as little as our backs you’ll break your promises for your own benefit. Tell your Ice-Queen that I will not accept ANY treatise – not before she apologizes personally for her crimes.“

Originally Posted By: GiantGirl

"I wanna help stop the MageLords, uh... father?" Karra declared with plaintive confusion, but her deep, powerful voice grew firmer and more confident as she continued. "They're bad! I'm - I mean we're - strong, we shouldn't hide away in a mountain, no matter how pretty and cold it is. We should be doing all we can to stop the MageLords and help the small elfy people and the Mean Dragon Lady... I, um, we sorta made a promise to help her save the Furry Place because she help us save our home too. And mom said I should always keep my promises. So I'm gonna help stop the MageLords, no matter what you say. You can't ground me and lock me in my room!"

The Mountain King smiled and sighed friendly at his daughter. He was struggling with his temper which made the room actually even colder to the point of being almost unbearable for Teletha.

“My sweet innocent daughter. I know you’re eager to prove yourself but you’re just a woman. Would you have been my son, I’d gladly let you fight – but your place is not with the Warriors. You should join your mother and the other women, where you are safe.“

Originally Posted By: Aeonian

"I doubt diplomacy or any sort of negotiation will work, Teletha. Their doom comes for them as it comes for us. If they cannot see the logic in coming to the aid not only of their rival, but to all life in this world... then perhaps they truely deserve what is coming?

Perhaps all life deserves this doom.

It's sad really... my interest doesn't reside in power or glory, but to see that the greater good is served to all life under the sun..." She states in a frustrated tone, sounding like a disappointed professor pointing out the failings of their student. "Pity... to know that the end of life in this world would come through apathy and antagonism."

At first it seemed the Mountain King was about to explode but something made him stop. His eyes narrowed and he bent down to get a better look at Aeonian and Teletha.

“She actually sent her daughter and the Vicereine... maybe your intentions are honorable for once?“, he looked back at his daughter and the temperature got tolarable again.

“So what kind of danger are you so afraid of, that you require our help to safe all of us?“, his voice was slightly mocking and challenging but at least he seemed to be more open to talk about it instead of casting them out or worse, take them prisoner.

"Your highness?" She says, looking up to Mega... Karra. "You saw what was coming... best observation point you could concieve. What was barreling down on us like a starving vampiric dragon?"

As the temperature moderated in the room, Aeonian's robes started laying closer to the body, as the magical effect warming her moderated itself accordingly.

She decides to trust that she won't be getting a shot of absollute zero air from some sort of attack, so she opens her mask's faceplate to allow the king to see her face.

"Her description of what was coming a few moments ago to I and Teletha was... almost enough to make me soil my robes."

"Huh?" Karra said in response to both Aeonian and the Mountain King claiming to be her father. At the Vicereine's insistent gesture, Karra brightened, turning back to the Mountain King with a fierce grin. "Oh! Right, right! It was a horde coming over the hills, maybe even a horde of hordes, there was so many of them. All kinds of them, with big machine-things and ogre-things and I dunno what else. I dunno how just the elfy people will stop them if we don't help and if we don't help, then they'll come here, because it's not far and not many gianty people, and roll over your pretty, cold, mountains like a wave... of hordes. And then the MageLords will win... And that's bad."

Karra screwed up her pretty face in deep concentration, trying to remember, to articulate what was said before, which was very hard, since she didn't know what 'articulate' meant. "And that will be hard for the Mean Dragon Lady-"

"Dragon Queen Aina," Teletha whispered helpfully to her over-sized friend.

"-Right. Dragon Queen Aina. If she can't stop the MageLords, then the MageLords will get the Kid Water and the Orb of Accordions-"

"The Fountain of Youth and the Orb of Arcadia," Teletha corrected.

"-Right, the Fountain of Youth and the Orb of Arcadia, that's what I said Tessa," Karra whined plaintively. "If the MageLords get those, then they'll rule for ever and ever and ever, and I don't even us big people will be able to stop them then."

Under the Mountain King's icy regard, Karra suddenly remembered what else he had said, and her earnest expression tightened into a stubborn pout. The stamped the ground in another fit of pique, then flexed. She had always been athletic, but now, she was even more impressively built, the muscles in her arms and thighs bulging with immense, impossible power beneath her blue skin.

"Mom showed me how to fight, and I'm stronger than any boy," Karra boasted with fierce confidence. "I'm not gonna hide when I can help. And I'll prove it! I'll arm wrestle any boy you want. And then he can go hide while I go fight the MageLords and their horde of hordes - though I would be really nice and good if some of you would help too."

Originally Posted By: Joani

The Ivory Tower
Alamaise nodded at Arcana and her Knight and waited for them to sit comfortably on her back before she lifted off heading towards the frontier soon disappearing in the distance.

From their elevated point of view they could see the approaching horde. It was difficult to estimate how large the force was and how much time it would need before it arrived at the forest’s edge. Distances and time were greatly distorted and extremely subjective in Arcadia and so they had to trust what the Dragon Queen had said.

Alamaise found a clearing amongst the large trees and landed right next to a large boulder that was about 20 feet tall and completely covered in moss.
“It is here where the last of their meeting was, about 1000 years ago. We haven’t heard nor seen them ever since but I am sure they are still here. I will leave you here and return to the Ivory Tower. We hope to hear from you soon.”

Without much ado Alamaise lifted off again and headed back to the Ivory Tower.

Morgania looked around a moment, and then smiled.. "Well, my Knight, what tools do you need, ask and I shall provide them.. or anything you need me to be, and I can become it.. or we can try something else if you prefer.. but I will stand with you regardless. How would you like to begin, I'm certain that your notions in this particular matter would be the best path to follow, for the time being."

"Some? More like all, your highness. Everyone capable needs to back this endeavor. I personally would like to come back to the Elvish people and tell them they have your support.

That sort of morale boost along, combined with the tidal wave only an army of giants can provide, and the other allies that I know will fighting their own battles to save this world... This can only end in the survival of this world and it's many peoples.

My kind, the Artificers, realized this long ago when we started to take the longer view and the bigger picture. I am sure with your wisdom you as well can see the logic in this."

She brushes off some of the melting frost from the surface of her robes. "We must ensure that our legacy isn't one of tragedy, your highness. There are many poets and bards who sing laments of kingdoms that fell alone because they could not see past their differences and went against impossible odds alone."

She stands, in the center of everyone. "Unfortunately this time there may not be bards for us if we falter. We must stand now... or not at all."

Click to reveal..
Another persuation roll, hopefully helped by Karra's description of the incoming storm. And I do plan on putting a hero point behind it. Roll: 20 +14 Modifier = +34

Originally Posted By: Joani
Bryce’s Cottage

Djane felt it first, something was approaching. Something large and powerful, so powerful she could feel the magical aura engulfing the cottage. The other Pixies immediately stopped their work and fearfully seeked shelter behind the couch on which Serene was reclining earlier.

“Oh dear, I think we are expecting even more guests?”, Lorraine interrupted apologizing immediately by bowing deeply to Serene. The Cottage shook under the approaching steps and now all guests could feel what Djane was very aware of. Something large was looming above the Cottage. Serene looked around, somewhat worried and confused and her eyes fell on Bryce who almost dropped his cup of tea. She had never expected to see a Shark pale at the sight of something and she hesitantly followed his gaze which was transfixed on the window across the room.

From outside a large reptilian like eye, golden in color peered inside – no doubt it belonged to a Dragon…
Originally Posted By: Djane
"Eep." Djane grimaced at the giant eye. "No, wait, wait. Dragons are the good guys, right? They're on our side. Uh, hello." She waved at the giant eyeball, that was even more gigantic to her.

Instead of flinching back in fear, Serene grinned and dashed for the door. “Hi!” she said, peering out and up at the dragon. “Are you from Aina?”

“Yes. I am Mountainshadow,” the massive creature confirmed. “I am here to bear you to our Queen.”

“I have found allies!” Serene said, grinning widely. “Bryce and his wife have said that the Merfolk wish to join the fight, right?” She turned to look at the gaping sharks.

“Oh, uh, yes!” Bryce swallowed, staring up at dragon. “We did offer support…”

“Excellent, we need to get your troops to the battlefield and your commanders to confer with the Queen.” She glanced back at Bannon and Djane. “And we should join the main planning as well. I’m sure that the others are expecting us. I hope Karra is alright. Mountainshadow, where are the others? How far from here?”

The Verdant Grove

„The Treepeople aren’t on good terms with us Dragons since our fire burns and kills them. I hope you and your friend find a way to convince them of an alliance with us. They won’t talk to us, not even the Queen.“, Alamaise explained as the huge Dragon slowly shrank and transformed into a humanoid shape. She was still tall and impressive, her dragonscaled skin reflecting the same green under the sun as it did in her Dragonform.

Alamaise regarded Morgania and Nixx with her yellow glowing eyes and sighed, she certainly didn’t like this situation. It seemed as if she shared a past with the Treepeople and something must’ve happened that caused this unpleasant situation.

As soon as Nixx set foot on the clearing he felt... no heard a song in his head. As if the entire forest was singing a sad hymn. He could make out different voices, some male, some female which harmonized perfectly in the most wonderful tune he had ever perceived in his short existence. Obviously Morgania and Alamaise couldn’t hear it, all they heard was the wind that gently brushed through the branches and made the leaves flutter in the air. To him it was a song – a song of sadness and of grief.

The Mountain King’s Hall

The Mountain King let Aeonian and his daughter talk listening carefully to what they reported and the reasons for their plea. He was, after all the King of the Frost Giants and commanded the most feared army of all Arcadia. His instincts told him to keep his daughter save, especially since there were fewer and fewer women. One of his first decision was to deny them any kind of military service or training.

The Vicereine’s speech was inspiring and in his minds eye he could see his army gloriously marching into war and fight for the freedom of all Arcadia – a broad smiled adorned his rugged face.

“I understand...“, he commented as he slowly nodded. He understood that time was running out for them and they would need to make quick decisions.

“Very well then, you have my word, we shall fight in this war and keep what we claim. Karra, go tell our allies that they can count on us, we shall join forces at the frontier. Our winterhorns shall announce our arrival., the Mountain King nodded again and smiled, there was a strange ´fire´ in his eyes, as if he was actually looking forward to go to war. After all, his people were a warrior tribe and they lived for the battle.

„No time to lose then“, Tessa looked up at Karra and nodded at her who hesitated briefly but then got the message. Her father approved and now they would have to make sure that the others would get the good news. The Giantsized MegaGirl strode outside and the Guards gave her a wide berth knowing that she was on a mission. From the top of the Mountain she could make out the Ivory Tower and her keen eyes revealed to her, that her friends were assembled there and probably waiting for them...

Bryce’s Cottage

Mountainshadow nodded at Serene with something like awe in her eyes. It was hard to imagine but the huge creature seemed to back away from Serene for a moment, as if she wasn’t worthy of her presence.

„If you don’t mind, I would take you back to the Ivory Tower... the good news will travel fastest this way and knowing the Merfolk is on our side will surely increase our chances of winning this war.“

Bryce nodded eagerly and went to the lake excusing himself for a minute. „I shall be back quickly, I just need to reach someone to carry the word.“

Without much hesitation he jumped into the water and dissappeared in the depths of the lake just to return in roughly a minute. „It is done.“, he smiled with his broad toughy grin looking up at the large Dragoness.

Mountainshadow picked everyone up and lift off flying them back to the Ivory Tower. In the distance they could see the horizon darkening. The MageLord’s forces were approaching – it would be less than 72 hours now before they would reach the forest...

The Ivory Tower

Within the next hour Mountainshadow and Karra arrived at the Ivory Tower. Aina was pleased to see her allies savely returned. The Dragon Queen was even larger than they remembered, easily twice the size of all the other Dragons and she wore something like a battle armor that protected most of her massive body. Her Scales, which formerly were a patterned mix of blue and red colours were silvery and reflected all colours in the sun – all in all Aina appeared even more powerful than before.

„I hope you have good news.“, she addressed both shortly arrived groups.

"My princess..." The green man looked to Arcana pleadingly, unable to fully comprehend what he was experiencing. "...the forest is mourning. It's beautiful, but so much loss, I can scarcely bear it. I..." he trailed off as he curiously raised his fingers to his cheeks which were wet with a fresh stream of tears. "What's happened to my eyes?"

As tears began to fall down his cheeks, and Nixx spoke, pleading her even to explain, Arcana went to him and put her arms around him, then kissed him softly. The kiss was simply a manner of offer connection and a measure of comfort as he asked her those questions... a way of saying she was here, with him, as she answered his question. "They are tears, it is a natural response to grief, loss and sorrow.. tears are a gift to allow us to express our sorrow "

"Sing for me, my Knight, sing and bring the song of the forest to life for all of us, give voice to the song of the forest that we can not hear.. and let us give back to the forest our own song.. I will dance your song for you, and give you what you need for your music.. Let us give the forest a gift of music.. " Whatever instruments or music he asked for, she would use her sorcery to produce, and devote a bit of magic to maintaining them.. to give voice to the song she asked him to sing.

Landing with a hard thump after leaping her way to the Ivory Tower and her friends, Karra put down Tesstarossa and Aeonian and looked down at her friends, grinning. She was impressed by the dragons, even the Mean Dragon Lady - they were even bigger than her and their scales were really shiny - but she was glad to see her friends again, even if they had shrunk too. Poor Djane! She's not even as big as my finger!

"Hi, guys!" Karra boomed ebulliently, a gust of cool air flowing across the plaza as she reached down and gathered her friends up in her impossibly strong embrace. She was especially careful this time, since if anything she felt - and definitely looked - stronger, and now CeeCee looked like a toy soldier and Echo looked like she was made of glass. That's what it felt like too, the giant girl though sullenly.

But it passed quickly, she was too happy to have met up with her friends again. "I'm glad to see you again! I was worried when it was only me and Tessa and Noonian in this strange place where everything had shrunk and the other changes - Hey! Serene! Look, I have blue skin, just like you have green skin. Neat! Anyway, we talked to this tiny, little elf-man and then saw the Magelord Horde coming - Heehee, that rhymes - and he was worried about the giant people. But we went and talked to the Mountain King - who might be my father. He called me his daughter anyway, and everyone there was big like me - and now everything is alright!"

Karra finished her rambling dialogue by taking a deep breath. Luckily, she had already put all her friends down before crushing them between her prodigious - and prominently displayed - bosom and her thickly muscled arms.

"We told the tiny elfy people and the my-size blue people about how bad the MageLords are and now they are going to come and help us to take them down," Karra informed everyone cheerfully. Her expression screwed up fiercely. "I can't believe the Mountain King thought I wasn't strong enough or tough enough to help, just because I'm a girl - Oh! Hello! We haven't met before, have we?"

Karra - currently a sixteen foot tall frost giant wearing straining bits of leather, fur, and chain, well-endowed and well-muscled, with legs that accounted for noticeably more than half her height - gave the white-haired boy standing next to Serene a small wave.

Teletha, for her part said much less. The way she'd changed had still made her profoundly uncomfortable. That and Karra wasn't particularly concerned with comfort when she carried TK and Aeonian, So the landings were abit more jarring than she'd liked.

"I see you've made some new friends as well, and this world has not left any of you untouched either."

She looked every part the Elven magi princess, though her clothing was of a far darker color than most would associate with it. Her adamant hair flowed down her back hiding the hood that could be pulled up, and the long pointed ears were an obvious tell.

"Essentially it's as Karra said. "We found ourselves at an Elvish outpost, and set off to the lands of the Frost Giants to secure their aid."

"They have agreed." Her tone suggested she wasn't entirely trusting of the agreement, and she thought there was another motive there beyond altruism.

Serene strode forward after sliding off Mountainshadow’s back, as naked as the day she was born. There was no self-consciousness in her gaze as she walked to join her friends in the heart of the Ivory Tower. She waved to Karra, a little dismayed at her new size. Now was not the time to talk; she listened to the others before she said, “I have convinced the Merfolk to join us. Bryce here is their leader and has come with me to discuss the part they can play.

“I’ve also found another member of the League – this is Jason Bannon. It’s a long story, but he is a member of the League and he’s ready to help.” Serene smiled at Bannon and it was a smile worth going to war over. “How soon before Mr. Greenman and Arcana return?”

Djane was perched on Serene's shoulder, her tiny hair tussled by the wind. She leaned over to speak in Serene's ear. "Ah, Serene... I don't have my genie magic now but I have pixie illusions. Do you want me, to you know, whip up some imaginary clothes for you?"

The Green Man spoke not a word, nor did he make any effort to wipe the tears from his eyes. Instead he nodded at Arcana with utter resolve. This was the task he had been set and he would not let such sorrows deter him.

He produced the instrument Arcana had constructed for him. It was vaguely like a violin, but made of metal and stone. He had requested this on the supposition that bringing a wooden instrument would be akin to bringing an instrument made of human bones to a conference with humans. The instrument was stringed with thin living vines he had produced himself and the bow appeared to be silver and glass.

For a while he just held the earthen violin in his hands and listened. Then he opened his mouth wide. For a split second it seemed as if he had been struck dumb, or worse, that his voice would crack. But then, instead, he sang. He threw his voice into the wind with the countless voices of the forest, matching them in despair and beauty but, by comparison, a bare whisper in volume. To him, his voice was lost among many but for Arcana and Alamaise he stood alone. His voice was like that of a talented, if inexperienced, angel. Moreover, he meant what he was singing even if he did not understand the words.

After a few bars of carrying the tune with his voice alone he began to draw the bow over the strange violin. He didn't play it to stand on its own, but rather as a somber accompaniment, a quiet line of notes to touch the hearts and roots of all present.

He sang and played for all he was worth, being sure to speak and feel every element of the forest's song. Only then did he dare, never breaking harmony, to try and introduce a side tune of his own... words of his own... Perhaps something a little more hopeful, from his whispered contribution to the chorus...

"Tess... Teletha, They want glory. No more, no less. I think my speeches though stirred some... enlightened self-interest to say the least."

She straightens her robes and lets her mask close again. "And while I like being Aeonian the Artificer, I'd like to finish this then blow this popsicle stand for home. Hopefully with a successful away-mission to report."

She looks puzzled as she tilts her head. "One problem though... what is our goal again in all this? I forgot in all the negotiation."

Originally Posted By: Watchwoman
“I’ve also found another member of the League – this is Jason Bannon. It’s a long story, but he is a member of the League and he’s ready to help.” Serene smiled at Bannon and it was a smile worth going to war over.

"Pleasure's mine." the white-haired 'young' man nodded to the others, seeming to take the giantess, elves, the mages, the dragons et al with not much more than a case of mild fascination. He smiled back at Serene, finding her beauty distracting to his natural equilibrium. JUST like her. Apart from the green. Strange. Oddly enough, the nymph's nudity didn't seem to phase him as much as her appearance - for a long moment he just studied the girl's profile, eyes faintly narrowed in almost trance-like contemplation, then shook himself back to the present. Of their own accord, his pale hands patted the rumpled linen suit in search of something, then Bannon muttered something rude in Urdu and looked around.

"There we are." he said to himself, noticing one of the ornamental braziers nearby and strolling over to it. Tilting his head to the side and keeping his hair back, the old League member put the cigarette from behind one ear into his mouth and puffed until the tip glowed red. He straightened, taking a deep pull on the silver-tipped smoke before exhaling a cloud of smoke that would do justice to a dragon, and sighed in satisfaction before turning back to the group.

"That's so much better." he said around the cigarette, which was dangling from one corner of his mouth. "So where do we stand on the planning side? Is this going to be a guerilla war or are we just going to mount an all-out assault?"

Aeonian’s question caught Serene’s ear. “We’re here to break the power of the MageLords and earn the release of Aina’s son.” She glanced at the dragon, something hard to read clouding her pretty red-eyed gaze. “Except… you never said he’s been captured.” Serene stifled a sigh at the presumption of the dragoness. “Only that he needed to be saved.”

“Losing this war will result in his death.” Aina’s massive voice was still soft.

Misdirecting… just like all our parents, Serene thought, feeling that same frustration she’d felt at her father. Why? What does it gain them? “When this is over,” she said firmly to the dragon, “I want to meet him.” Aina had enough grace to not ask why.

Even with the distraction of dealing with Aina, Serene was vaguely aware of the story that Bannon’s body was telling her. Though he had remarkable composure, there were subtle clues that told her something was bothering him. Something about her specifically. Was it the nudity? She didn’t think so – and it certainly didn’t feel wrong.

Still, it was preying on her mind when Djane whispered in her ear. “Why, do you think I need to?” she murmured back, thinking about it. As Djane struggled with her answer – because did she really want to tell Serene to cover up – Serene sighed and shook her head. “No, I don’t think so unless it becomes a distraction. You’re going to need to reserve your power for the fight.” She brushed her thumb against Djane’s leg. “Thank you for the offer, though.”

At Bannon’s question, Serene said, “I think that traditionally, battle like this is done in a very straightforward manner. A frontal assault. However, while we may look like our fantasy counterparts, and even feel like them to a degree, we should do this League-style. You know, smart.” She grinned a little at her comment, her red eyes shining with eagerness. “I’m going to suggest both. I know we’d be splitting forces, but I think that if Karra, TK, Centurion and myself should lead a frontal assault, while the rest of you go for a more covert strike at the head of the enemy. Those of us leading the visible attack will cut through the minions to join you.” She glanced at Bannon. “You’re the one I’m not sure what to do with, as I don’t know if your style lends itself to balls-out combat or something more… subtle.”

Stop flirting. With everyone. Father taught you better than that!

I can’t help it! It’s so… easy. It’s so much fun.

I bet your mother says the same.

… damn it. With effort, the young woman forced a grimmer countenance.

If everyone seemed to be taking the changes of Faerie in stride, that impression was false in Echo's case. Though her body had adapted, or been adapted, to magic, her mind was still tethered to normal time and space, matter and energy. Everywhere she looked she saw violation of conservation, of causality. She, who was used to knowing was now entirely ignorant of the operating principles of the world. She could no longer predict, no longer control.

Shortly after the dragon had departed to gather the wayward League up, Echo had gone to sit beside the crystal basin. A few minutes later, her stare became blank and unfocused. She was sitting there still, lost in whatever the scrying pool was showing her, far from this grove where she felt she could do nothing, say nothing, BE nothing useful.

Originally Posted By: Watchwoman
She glanced at Bannon. “You’re the one I’m not sure what to do with, as I don’t know if your style lends itself to balls-out combat or something more… subtle.”

Stop flirting. With everyone. Father taught you better than that!

I can’t help it! It’s so… easy. It’s so much fun.

I bet your mother says the same.

… damn it.
With effort, the young woman forced a grimmer countenance.

"I can give you glaciers or freeze the dance of atoms in a single molecule of air." he shrugged. "I can be as subtle or... balls-out as you need me to be." Bannon shrugged and smiled wryly at Serene, taking another draw on his cigarette. He blew a contemplative smoke ring in the air, and frowned at it.

"I'd feel comfortable sticking together, or at least within assistance range of one another. That way if some big nasty crops up, they have to deal with the whole team rather than crush us piecemeal." He looked around at the other Legacy members. "With our rings, communication and mobility isn't going to be a problem in combat. My advice is to form a loose wedge - drive towards the center of the enemy army and pick off lieutenants and captains as we go. Lots of shock and awe, let our allies roll in behind us and exploit the chaos." He fished out another cigarette and lit it from the glowing end of the first, then snuffed the butt with a thought and tucked the stone cold end into his pocket as he drew on the fresh one. "I'm new to this party. I'm not familiar with you guys, or our allies, or our enemies. What I *do* know..." pale green eyes swept over those present, craning up to meet Karra's gaze and peering a little at Djane before resting on Serene's face, his voice soft but with the kind of authoritative force that carries "... is that you're Legacy. You're members of the League, and even though I'm an anachronism badly in need of a drink, there's nowhere I'd rather be than standing with the League to save a world or three." He smiled, the wind ruffling his suit and tossing his hair softly. "So put me where you need me, Serene. And let's show these Magelords why we're Legacy League."

Aina understood Serene’s request and suppressed a sigh. Just as she wanted to reply someone interrupted her and by the look in her eyes she wasn’t pleased to hear the voice.

„But I want to fight, mother!“, the voice boomed with determination. From the Ivory Tower a tall and well built Dragon Witch Male approached in his human form. He was easily over 8 Feet tall with broad shoulders and pronounced muscles. The color of his scales were a spitting image of his mother’s when they met her the first time.

As he got closer Serene couldn’t deny that he indeed looked like her father’s son. If they were both the same kind someone could easily assume the Dragon Witch’s Son and Serene were twins. His eyes only briefly settled on Serene and he acknowledged her presence with a polite nod followed by a graceful bow.

„I won’t stay in the Tow-„, he tried to explain himself but was interrupted by the bellowing shout of his mother. Her voice was like a beastial roar and made the ground tremble on which they all stood.

„HOW DARE YOU!“, the huge Queen of Dragon Witches turned around to face her son and for a moment it looked like she was about to swallow him with one effortless snap of her mighty jaws.

He seemed unphased by her anger and held his ground and silently repeated, very much like someone Serene knew all too well, „I_Won’t_Stay_In_The_Tower, Mother.“

Aina realized that she was losing her temper and her baleful gaze could’ve killed any weak hearted man. She averted her gaze and backed off, dark steam rising from her nostrils as she swallowed down her anger.

The Centurion has been silent and still. None had addressed him, and so he had watched and listened. The newcomer, the man with Serene, has assumed that he was in fact a golem or statue, and was thusly surprised when Herak turned and spoke to Aina, his voice steady and metered.

"If the boy wishes to defend his home he should be allowed to do so. By your own claims this battle, this struggle, will determine the fate of your world as surely as his survival or death. If this is true then it would be foolhardy to reserve a soldier from the field of war. If this is false then you have been withholding or falsifying the facts of this matter." The Centurion looked around at all gathered, "If this boy, no, this young man, is to save his people then let him save his people. Hiding him away for the hope that you do not fall this day will be of no use if his power could turn the tide in even a small way."

There was something in Teletha that made her step forward. "I agree with my comrade. If the fate of the world is to be decided, let all who wish to fight do so. So far too day, we've made allies of enemies.." She pointed to Karra, and Aeonian and herself. "We strode int their stronghold, only to press home how important it was that everyone fights, no one sits back, no one can afford to."

"As we said to them, all effort is being put in to ensure the world lives, that its people live. I will hold nothing back, my friends, my comrades, we will hold nothing back. If he wishes to fight, I'll stand alongside him and fight beside him. The fortunes of battle are Fickle, but I'm willing to risk whatever may befall me because we gave our word to help you save this world."

The young telekinetic-turned elven magi looked up at the massive dragon, her eyes not wavering, her conviction solid and firm. If she lashed out, then so be it, but what she said couldn't be unsaid.

"No problem. I just thought I'd ask."

Djane fluttered away from Serene's shoulder, with some trepidation - she was unused to travelling where she wished. She fluttered down on Echo's shoulder. "What'cha doin'?"

Aeonian slams the butt of her staff on the ground, letting off a thundering boom not enough to cause harm or to startle, but to get the attention of everyone present.

"So far we've had to work separately. But this world seems to want us in the right place, at the right time. Somehow the warnings we receives about this place were what would usually go on if there wasn't an imminent crisis about to unfold in this universe."

She walks over to Teletha. "We were brought here to save the people of this universe in trade for assistance in ours. Fair trade."

She brushes her robes off a bit, being in a old, dusty and ice covered cave tends to cause dust to collect in the most minor of folds in clothing. "My intent is to see this world safe as well as ours."

Originally Posted By: Nixx
The Green Man spoke not a word, nor did he make any effort to wipe the tears from his eyes. Instead he nodded at Arcana with utter resolve. This was the task he had been set and he would not let such sorrows deter him.

He produced the instrument Arcana had constructed for him. It was vaguely like a violin, but made of metal and stone. He had requested this on the supposition that bringing a wooden instrument would be akin to bringing an instrument made of human bones to a conference with humans. The instrument was stringed with thin living vines he had produced himself and the bow appeared to be silver and glass.

For a while he just held the earthen violin in his hands and listened. Then he opened his mouth wide. For a split second it seemed as if he had been struck dumb, or worse, that his voice would crack. But then, instead, he sang. He threw his voice into the wind with the countless voices of the forest, matching them in despair and beauty but, by comparison, a bare whisper in volume. To him, his voice was lost among many but for Arcana and Alamaise he stood alone. His voice was like that of a talented, if inexperienced, angel. Moreover, he meant what he was singing even if he did not understand the words.

After a few bars of carrying the tune with his voice alone he began to draw the bow over the strange violin. He didn't play it to stand on its own, but rather as a somber accompaniment, a quiet line of notes to touch the hearts and roots of all present.

He sang and played for all he was worth, being sure to speak and feel every element of the forest's song. Only then did he dare, never breaking harmony, to try and introduce a side tune of his own... words of his own... Perhaps something a little more hopeful, from his whispered contribution to the chorus...

As Nixx began to sing, to bring the song of the forest to life, as she listened to it, Morgania began to weep, and even as she weep, she joined in the song, no with song, but with dance, drawing on her magic to enhance her movements, and to bring to life the song that was sung. To give movement and motion to the song that had not be given voice until this moment, at least, not a voice that was heard by any but the forest. As the song changed she changed her steps, to match the tune that he added, that life and hope went on, that sorrow didn't last forever. She wasn't entirely sure what sort of response would come from the song and dance, but she would give motion to the song that Nixx sang, as she had promised.

She wasn't the master of music that he was, but she was able to move with the song, and give expression to the music that she felt it needed. It was in a way a sacrifice and a gift to the forest, that it's voice could be heard, and a reply to it's sorrow. She wasn't a skilled dancer, but she made up for it with magically enhanced talent, true feeling, and enthusiasm.

The Verdant Green

His tune merged with the forestsong creating an even more intense effect and Nixx felt one with everything around him. He could sense the meadow, the roots, the branches, every single creature that was part of this creation and their sorrow was almost overwhelming.

Everyone lamented the loss their muse – a very special fern that used to live in the forest. As he turned around his eyes found a swirling breeze of leaves approaching which quickly assumed the body of a young woman, made of leaves – a Leaf-Fearie. She watched him play his song and listened carefully floating closer and closer to him until she managed to give him a gentle kiss.

”She was taken away from us...”, she Leaf-Fearie sang with her heavenly voice. ”All she left is sorrow... endless sorrow...”

Morgania watched this otherworldly encounter, this magical moment and was enraptured by its beauty. Her senses were overloaded with the forestsong and her movement seemed to be guided by gentle hands... which slowly tightened their grip on her. Instead of guiding her movement became forced... as if someone was trying to take control of her.

Click to reveal.. (Perception)

Morgania dropped the magical spell she had woven which enhanced her performance and sharpened her senses as she attuned herself to the realm. Even though everything around them seemed to be at peace and only lamenting she also sensed danger – a dark and tainted shroud that had woven a very fine and barely perceptible net over the entire grove.

Before she could warn him the Leaf-Fearie dissolved into brown dust which upon touching the ground tainted it withering the meadow within seconds.

Click to reveal..
I need Initiatives from you two

Originally Posted By: Djane
"No problem. I just thought I'd ask."

Djane fluttered away from Serene's shoulder, with some trepidation - she was unused to travelling where she wished. She fluttered down on Echo's shoulder. "What'cha doin'?"

There was a long pause, and Echo turned her head to stare at Djane. Or at least stare blankly off in the direction Djane was in. Her eyes still didn't focus on the little sprite. Djane noted that there were pulsations of light moving through the crystals embedded in Echo's body. Pulsations that matched similar lights moving through the crystal that made up the basin of water in Aina's scrying pool.

"I'm...interfacing...with some kind of network," she replied quietly. Her voice wasn't hushed in tone, it was just quiet, as if she were speaking from a distance away. "I do not yet understand its operating principles. It seems connected to the area Aina exercises dominion over. Within that area, there is a great deal of information that can be accessed. I believe there are other nodes, similar to this one, some of them harnessed as this is, others still in their naturally occurring states. The nodes are sensitive to an energy form unique to this world, and react both to and on this energy."

Echo hesitated, then said, "They're like a phased array of transceivers, constantly receiving information from the entities around them, then broadcasting it to others. I believe, in theory, this network embodies the sum total of what everyone within this area knows, or senses, or imagines, all updated in real time. Even I can only access a fraction of that data at any given moment though. Residents of this dimension can access limited portions of this information by means of 'divinations.'"

The Centurion seemed impassive, almost unresponsive, to the goings on around him. There was seldom strength to be found in quarreling, and so he stated his position and then withdrew to allow those directly involved to determine the outcome. For Herak the mantel of the Celestial Centurion was not just unfathomable power, not just a position of leadership, it was also a change to his being that went deep to his core. At times his passions burned with the intensity of the very stars that he was sword to safeguard, at others they were as cold, still, and vacant as the deepest vacuum of space. He walked a tightrope, or a razor's edge, between the two extremes, and had yet to find the proper balance.

The Centurion was well aware that some had fallen to one extreme or the other. Impassioned martyrdom, or cold sociopathy. The gifts of Hælious were even torn from their hosts in the most extreme cases; the stars did not tolerate their gifts being twisted against their cause. Silent and unmoving like a statue, the Centurion watched and waited, hoping that his control would prove sufficient.

“He fights, if he wants,” Serene told Aina firmly. “If he is your heir, if he is to lead, then his subjects cannot see him hiding in the tower while they die. I know you love your son, but you can’t shelter him behind your wings his whole life. My father knew the wisdom of teaching a child to defend themselves and letting them be who you taught them to be.”

Dismissing the fuming queen, she turned to the prince. Her red eyes studied him for a moment before she said, “I’m Serene. What’s your name?”

It felt strange to consider this strange creature her brother. It had been easier with Karra; she wasn’t that inhuman and she’d been like a best friend or sister for most of Serene’s life. But she didn’t know who this was; she didn’t even know his name. All she knew was that he was her brother.

"Possible futures. They're more...extrapolations, though they're based on enough information that they probably seem very accurate."

Echo offered Djane a faint smile. "I'm not using divinations though. My access to the network is far more...comprehensive. Unfortunately, I can't make out the enemy. It may be out of the networks operational theater, or perhaps the MageLords have protections that block it out."

"Every firewall has an exploit, Echo." Aeonian says, adjusting her mask. "This is this world analog to the Internet, so to break through their firewalls." She says looking around. "But what I need is a terminal... Or in this case a set of runes and a scrying pool."

She looks around. "Now do we have some sort of system of having a connection with them? Some sort of thing that would be considered "theirs" by their magic? I would wager having something of theirs would allow us to pierce their veil like a password would allow someone into a system. Or using a exactly opposite sound frequency to disrupt a sound wave."

"Ideas anyone? Because time is short and I got a battle plan to put into action. And if we can see them, we can use our own network to communicate their exact position to us." She says brandishing the Legacy League ring on her right hand. "And in the process maybe we need some obfuscation of our own? This could work both ways."

People were saying all sorts of things, things MegaGirl didn't understand. And Serene was naked too, for some reason, she didn't even seem to mind. Should I get naked too? But then Noonian asked for ideas and she had one and Karra forgot all about getting naked for no reason like Serene.

"Me! Me! I have an idea!" Karra boomed, punctuated her claim by smacking a fist into her open palm with a thunderous crack like a splintering iceberg. "Less talking! More smashing!"

"Oh I intend on that. And quite efficiently if things go according to plan. I'm just not sure at the moment if we're being watched right now by the enemy. If we can potentially see them, they sure as the stars in the heavens can see us."

She sighs. "This is going to be rough, for sure, but I hope what I have in mind with everyone else's help can puss us through whatever comes."

She pulls out what looks like a couple of rolled up sheets of parchment. Then she whispers... "Right here is the battle plan. Don't read it out loud, everyone. Try to be... discrete. I've been scribbling this out while people talked. Outside of my diplomatic efforts of course."

Originally Posted By: Hotchick
“He fights, if he wants,” Serene told Aina firmly. “If he is your heir, if he is to lead, then his subjects cannot see him hiding in the tower while they die. I know you love your son, but you can’t shelter him behind your wings his whole life. My father knew the wisdom of teaching a child to defend themselves and letting them be who you taught them to be.”

Dismissing the fuming queen, she turned to the prince. Her red eyes studied him for a moment before she said, “I’m Serene. What’s your name?”

It felt strange to consider this strange creature her brother. It had been easier with Karra; she wasn’t that inhuman and she’d been like a best friend or sister for most of Serene’s life. But she didn’t know who this was; she didn’t even know his name. All she knew was that he was her brother.

Aina just stared back at Serene not commenting on anything she said and slowly walked back to the Ivory Tower where she positioned herself to defend it in case of an attack.

Her son looked down at Serene and smiled at her. He was tall, almost huge, easily as tall as Karra was back home, maybe even taller. His broad frame overshadowed her but he didn’t try to intimidate her.

“My name is Aidan.”, he replied softly and actually used his larynx and vocal chords to speak. His voice was rough and gravely as if he wasn’t used to speak this way but he tried at least. “Thank you for having faith in my abilities... it feels good.”, she could tell by the way he looked at her that he really meant what he said. Obviously his mother had kept him very secluded and out of any possible harm.

Originally Posted By: Aeonian
She pulls out what looks like a couple of rolled up sheets of parchment. Then she whispers... "Right here is the battle plan. Don't read it out loud, everyone. Try to be... discrete. I've been scribbling this out while people talked. Outside of my diplomatic efforts of course."

He caught attention of Aeonians plan and moved towards the divination bowl where everything was instantly translated into the magical holographic display. Aeons battle plan was quickly integrated into the real terrain map which Echo produced from the crystals.

“We can fly several sweeps over the ‘Death zone’ and lay down our fire burning them to cinders. Anyone who tries to escape will be caught by your troups. It looks like a solid plan.”, he commented calmly.

“Mother will stay here and I would feel better if a small troupe of our Allies would defend the outer perimeter around the Tower. Should they be ambushed it would buy us some time to help or fall back if necessary. The MageLords will try to get to the Tower – they want the Orb of Arcadia.”

Click to reveal..
Everyone may roll perception vs. DC 20 and if that is successful you get an Insight roll vs. DC 15

The Leaders of the Merfolk, the Frost-Giants and Elves had arrived by now and where quickly instructed to the battle plan.

Click to reveal..
You guys should decide who will be in which battlegroup and which Dragons will be involved as mounts (i.e., who will be their riders). Don’t waste too much time on tactics and such – I’m not trying to simulate a war with realistic stats/facts. This is about having a good time and being epic in your endeavour to defend Arcadia.

Once I know who will be in which group (I expect roughly 3), I will make the first war post.

Archived