Mutants & Masterminds: Legacy - Issue #4 Challenges

Joani

“Perhaps she was in love with the man within,” Serene said softly, missing Djane’s conversation with the pixies. Silently, she mulled over what she had seen inside the chair. She set her tea cup down, drew herself up into a regal stance and said, “You can see him, if you look close. You can also see that he wears something, and that means I must ask you to release the chair. I know it is a treasure to you, but the man within wears a ring. This ring.” Serene held up her left hand; on the pointer finger, her Legacy ring glinted in the light.

“My Queen! It is you!” Bryce and Lorriane both hit their knees, a process that looked awkward and uncomfortable.

“Yes, we already established that… Wait, did you say Queen? I’m no-” Serene started but was cut off by Bryce – unintentionally.

“Then… he, my chair… your chair is a vassal of yours?” Bryce gasped, looking at the chair.

Serene was still confused but focused on the important part: the human factor. “Yes, and even if that is just his body, then I need to properly bury him,” Serene said somberly. “I will make every attempt to replace the chair with something finer, but I must do right by this man. To release him if alive and to honor him if he’s dead. This is the way that the Legacy League operates and I will continue that tradition.”

She sounded weird and overly formal to herself, but it felt right. And if she had to talk funny to get a member of the League released from an icy prison, she’d talk funny until she was green... greener in the face. Reaching out, she gently rested her hand on the arm of the chair, feeling the cold bite of the ice. Serene left it there, determined to reach out to the person trapped within. We’re coming. Just hold on.

They were still kneeling and Serene remembered something from a movie. “Oh, and… you can get up, really.”

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Joani

Alamaise stared at Nixx for a moment and then suddenly smiled – or so it seemed. „You believe you can rally the Ents of Forlorn Forest for this battle? We haven’t heard from them in over a millenium but we do know that they are still there. They simply don’t want to talk to us or any of our emissarys. Maybe you could make a difference young one. What is your name?“, the green Dragon Witch inquired.

The green man's face went blank for a split second. Then he grinned and bowed low. "Your highness, my intent had been to save the forest for the trees. The word 'Ent' however leafs me stumped. Nevertheless by your leave I would embark to rally not just ents, but elms, birch fir and any other green denizens of the forlorn forest, root out the cause of their silence and help an alliance to blossom, by which means we might hope to stop the Magelords' plans from bearing fruit."

His child-like glee at the litany of puns with which he bombarded those assembled was apparent in his smile and did not waver as he added, "As for my name, I know it not. A bit of an oversight on my part, I fear. Though the Lady Watcher of these good heroes has taken to calling me Mr. Greenman, which I find quite suitable."

Echo refocused on her surroundings, tuning back into her body's senses just as she might after an extended jaunt through the Noosphere. Which was, she realized, a little like what she was accessing here...though she had no idea what the medium was. Not wireless signals from computer terminals and network nodes. She could understand what the voices were saying now, but she still wasn't sure what the voices were.

All things in time.

"Excuse me. I've located two...disturbances that might indicate locations where our other team members appeared. One is in an area governed by...elves." She pronounced the word with almost visible distaste. "The other is a...merfolk barony? From what I gather, the elves are not far from the point at which the armies of the Mage Lords are expected to arrive first."

Originally Posted By: Tesstarossa

"You may rise, and the Frost Giant is not a prisoner, she is an ally. I trust her fully, and I realize that may strike you as odd, but she is going to help us."

"Do you have an update on the status of the border? i've been having to obscure my movements, and sadly this has not allowed me to keep in touch as I'd like."

The Elven Archer stood up and bowed once more as he saw Aeon, „Vicereine, your presence here honors us. I assume the mages guild of the will join the battle, then?“, the Archer asked as he turned to his queen attempting to give her a brief rundown of the current situation.

„The Hordes are very close, your highness. We expect them to reach the edge of our woods within the next 3 days. Our scouts counted several Ogres amongst their ranks, heavy warmachinery enchanted by their foul magicks. We have organized our defenses and every available Bow will fight. Are the rumors true, have you united the Elven Kingdoms to help us in this battle? It may be our last...“. He tried not to sound too defeated by these grim news but she could see the fear in his eyes.

„If the Frost Giants would stop flanking us from the Mountains we’d have less trouble defending the forest. Our numbers are too little to divide our forces to stage an effective defense. I apologize for me ignorance...“, he quickly added looing up at GiantGirl still not quite convinced that she was an ally.

Herak shook his head, "Do you not posses more pertinent tactical data? Their offensive capabilities? Numbers? Their command structure and supply lines?" The Centurion sounded exasperated, "There is an invading force taking your land meter by meter. You cannot mount an proper defense without such information. What of your own forces? You allies, if any? Your defensive bulwarks?"

Herak paced, and finally looked up, "And what of this Orb and Fountain? What power do these possess? What purpose do the Magelords have in seeking them out? If we are to help you, you must tell us all that you can."

"My relation is to the Faerie courts, Summer and Winter, not the Elven court, I could make a request of them, there is a distant relation, but it is very distant. However, you would do better to send me to request aid of the Queen Titania and Queen Mab." As Centurion made his own request of her, she turned to face him a moment.

"I need a mirror or reflecting pool to find them, and in this place, I believe that our hosts are best to know where those might be." She replied to his request for her to search for their missing comrades.

When Nixx spoke up, she reached out and touched his arm gently. "If you would have me with regards to a mission to awaken the forest, I would accompany you, my knight."

TK shook her head. "To my knowledge there is no unification. As I've said, I have had no communications in some time."

She nodded. "We will hold, I have great faith in my people."

She was not fond of lying, especially doing so blind.

"Perhaps it is time for us to see what it would take to sway the frost giants one a more wholesale approach."

Aeonian nods, looking to Tessa. "A wise decision, Sirrah, but you must ask yourself... what would happen if you fail?"

She looks to Tesstarossa for a response, while reading the others in her groups company as well. Trying to learn as much about her surroundings as possible.

She'd grumble about being a fish out of water, but that might tip her hand in regards to who she truely is. Or worse cause a mistake in intent. Something she was more paranoid about than anything.

The green man turned a grateful smile on Arcana. "Princess, with your intervention I can only imagine our success would exceed our intent. Indeed, that our forces might be bolstered by the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky!" He wasn't exactly sure what a bird was, but felt confident the sky was where they were found. He made a note to keep an eye out for one.

He then cleared his throat and tilted his head toward the increasingly irate Centurion. "That would be my preference, but we had better determine the best strategy for rallying all the allies we can."

Originally Posted By: Celestial Centurion

Herak shook his head, "Do you not posses more pertinent tactical data? Their offensive capabilities? Numbers? Their command structure and supply lines?" The Centurion sounded exasperated, "There is an invading force taking your land meter by meter. You cannot mount an proper defense without such information. What of your own forces? You allies, if any? Your defensive bulwarks?"

Herak paced, and finally looked up, "And what of this Orb and Fountain? What power do these possess? What purpose do the Magelords have in seeking them out? If we are to help you, you must tell us all that you can."

Aina was returning from the tower as she heard Herak’s questions. She looked impressive, even larger than before and her scales were shifting in colors going through the entire spectrum of light as they glittered majestically in the sun. The Orb of Arcadia hung around her neck and sparkled with power.

„We are not a folk of warriors and warlords. The MageLords seek to destroy us, we just defend what is ours. Our Allies are scattered, each following their own dreams and ideas for this is Arcadia’s essence. I wouldn’t have called for outside help if I had armies and fortresses at my disposal. Arcadia is a peaceful realm, our quarrels are settled with curses and riddles or the eventual prank or banishment. Sometimes even Quests which can take centuries to solve. My dear Celestial Centurion, this is our most desperate time and we humbly request your help. Save us from the MageLords and we shall reward you genereously.“, it sounded very formal and all her brethren bowed as she made her request.

„We shall send Vestrivia to scout their ranks, she’ll provide you with the tactical data you requested. Let us gather at the divination circle.“, the queen nodded to the large half circle parlor surrounded by white marble pillars. In the middle was a halfsized pillar with a large bowl on top. Echo could see that it contained the same crystals most of her own new body was made of and she could sense a connection to it, as if it was a major hub of knowledge from which the voices constantly drew their information.

Vestrivia, a large red-scaled dragon which lifted off without further delay and flew towards the marching hordes, given her speed she should be back within the next hour.

As they reached the circle Aina continued to answer Herak’s questions, „The Orb of Arcadia grants it’s wearer unimaginable power and strength but it is bound to this realm. The fate of Arcadia is tightly connected to it. With it we can create – it is the very essence of creativity and can give anything the spark of life, be it a living thing or an inanimate object. Even ideas can be given body if you know how to wield it. The MageLords seek this power because with it they can create anything they want, it’s power is unlimited. I fear Nexus wants to destroy it, though. It would reverse all creation and destroy the Galaxies known to your kind.

The Fountain of Youth was created here but it’s whereabouts has been lost over the millenia. Just one sip of it grants eternal life, a powerful mage could create a concoction that would enhance this to even greater effect making him truly immortal. His essence would reform from any means of death or destruction. There are legends telling the Fountain of Youth has been taken from Arcadia and hidden on an Island of your Earth. Many treasure hunters went on quests from which they never returned. We can only hope the MageLords don’t know where the Fountain is. Should they retrieve it they could make their kind immortal and thus make it impossible to end their plague. ´Tis a vile and wicked plan they pursuit and we are the only ones who can stop them. We mustn’t fail.“

Aina created a large mirror while she spoke to the Celestial Centurion nodding at Arcana when she was finished.

„Any help we can get is welcomed. Tell them the fate of Arcadia is dependent on our success. If we fail Arcadia will be no more.“

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax

"Excuse me. I've located two...disturbances that might indicate locations where our other team members appeared. One is in an area governed by...elves." She pronounced the word with almost visible distaste. "The other is a...merfolk barony? From what I gather, the elves are not far from the point at which the armies of the Mage Lords are expected to arrive first."

Aina concentrated briefly and stared into the bowl of crystals, magical light emerging from it and dancing in complicated patterns a few inches above the bowl.

„I agree, it is very likely your friends are there. The Elven Outpost is very close to the frontier from which the MageLord’s Hordes are approaching. They border to the Frost Giant Mountains to the east. Unfortunately the Elves and the Frost Giants are in a quarrel till this day. Your friends at Loch Scaledeep are much safer. They aren’t too far away from here, I can sent Mountainshadow to pick them up."

One of the Dragon Witches bowed, obviously Mountainshadow looking expectantly at the assembled heroes. She looked a bit stronger and tougher than the other dragons with blue and black scales that looked very much like armor. Her wings spread wide in anticipation of lifting off but the huge creature waited for any other requests or additions their guests might have.

„You’re a slave – we’re not allowed to talk to slaves. Oh poor, you...“, the Pixie sighed and looked at her sadly as she shook her head. „Oh dear oh dear oh dear...“

"A slave? Ah." Djane hovered, thinking it over. If what is true back home gets reflected here, then maybe what's true here becomes reflected back home...

"How would I free myself, then? Do I just take the dress off? That seems kinda too easy..."

Originally Posted By: Watchwoman

“Then… he, my chair… your chair is a vassal of yours?” Bryce gasped, looking at the chair.

Serene was still confused but focused on the important part: the human factor. “Yes, and even if that is just his body, then I need to properly bury him,” Serene said somberly. “I will make every attempt to replace the chair with something finer, but I must do right by this man. To release him if alive and to honor him if he’s dead. This is the way that the Legacy League operates and I will continue that tradition.”

She sounded weird and overly formal to herself, but it felt right. And if she had to talk funny to get a member of the League released from an icy prison, she’d talk funny until she was green... greener in the face. Reaching out, she gently rested her hand on the arm of the chair, feeling the cold bite of the ice. Serene left it there, determined to reach out to the person trapped within. We’re coming. Just hold on.

They were still kneeling and Serene remembered something from a movie. “Oh, and… you can get up, really.”

--

Bryce pushed the chair forward with great awe and something like fear in his eyes. „Sure your Majesty... I’m so sorry. This is so embarrassing.“, he looked at his wife Lorraine who had a very worried look in her face.

„It is her – we’re doomed...“, she whispered to her husband who immediately hushed her to remain silent.

„I’m sorry, your Majesty. Please don’t kill us. The Chair was a gift from the Frost Giants. I had no idea and would’ve never accepted it.“, Bryce pleaded.

„yes... it’s all the Frost Giants fault! They brought it here!“, Lorraine quickly added relieved that the scapegoat was someone else to blame.

Now that the chair was closer to her she could see the features of the man inside. It was still difficult to make out specific features but she was positive he was a member of the Legacy League. His hair was probably blonde and his look was odd... as if he was tired of watching the world. She thought if someone was frozen against his will like this, his last expression would be some kind of protest or scream but his was completely calm and serene. Even sad...

Originally Posted By: Djane

"A slave? Ah." Djane hovered, thinking it over. If what is true back home gets reflected here, then maybe what's true here becomes reflected back home...

"How would I free myself, then? Do I just take the dress off? That seems kinda too easy..."

„Oh dear, oh dear, you’ve forgotten? How long have you been enslaved that you don’t know how to be free anymore?“, the pixie spoke out with much worry.

„Who’s your master?“, she asked warily, almost as if she was afraid dealing with a slave for too long.

Originally Posted By: Tesstarossa

TK shook her head. "To my knowledge there is no unification. As I've said, I have had no communications in some time."

She nodded. "We will hold, I have great faith in my people."

She was not fond of lying, especially doing so blind.

"Perhaps it is time for us to see what it would take to sway the frost giants one a more wholesale approach."

„Of course your highness, I shall sent report to the other Outposts then? I am sure your presence alone will boost morale.“, he hesitated briefly as he recited what she just said in his head.

„You are going on a diplomatic mission to meet the Frost Giants? Are you... sure this is a good idea, your highness? The last time you’ve been taken hostage by them.“

Originally Posted By: Aeonian

Aeonian nods, looking to Tessa. "A wise decision, Sirrah, but you must ask yourself... what would happen if you fail?"

Her question was probably answered by what the Archer just said. Maybe the ´real´ Queen was still held hostage by the Frost Giants? The young Elven Archer wasn’t objecting much to her although he was very worried about Teletha’s well-being.

„Let me gather a small group of able Scouts and Rangers, they should help you on your quest. I will inform General Merrendil about your arrival and your mission. We’re running out of time and there’s no word from the Dragon’s yet. This is our darkest hour.“

GiantGirl had a rather good look over the landscape and the trees. In the distance to the north the advancing hordes were approaching. It was hard to estimate the distance since everything seemed so small now, even the mountains to the east, where the Frost Giants supposedly lived looked like just a bound away.

"No, that won't be necessary. Besides we need all who can fight here should we fail. Stay here be ready for an attack and pray that we are successful."

She nodded to her compatriots. "I can get the three of us out easily enough, but that taxes my abilities near the limit. Stay here, and let us do what only we can do."

She smiled. "The dragons will help, the last I've heard."

„Who’s your master?“, she asked warily, almost as if she was afraid dealing with a slave for too long.

She waved at Serene. "For now, she is. If there were any before, I don't remember them. We've been, er, busy." Djane scratched the back of her head. "So no, I don't know how it works."

“Kill… no, you didn’t know,” Serene said, a frown marring her pretty face. “I’m not interested in killing anyone, especially an ally.” The two sharks looked at one another, their expressions hopeful. “We are allies, aren’t we?” Serene asked in a voice that begged the answer be in the positive. Her expression was innocent, yet it seemed designed to make it terribly hard to tell her no.

“Yes, of course!” Bryce said as Lorraine nodded eagerly.

“So I may free my man?” Serene asked. Normally, she would have blushed so hard she would have risked fainting from the head rush; in this world, she didn’t think twice about her choice of words.

“Of course!” the couple repeated emphatically.

“Thank you!” Serene said brightly, her expression filling with the delight their gift was giving her.

There was a moment of silence; then Bryce asked, “Er, the pixies keep it frozen in a chair-shape, but the man is trapped in the back portion.”

“Yes, I see that,” Serene murmured. “Help me lay it on its back, please?” She and Bryce wrestled the massive chair onto its back.

“How will you get him out? Do you need a chisel?” Lorraine asked, looking curious and wringing her fin-hands.

“No, I don’t think so,” Serene murmured. “When in the realm of faerie tales…” She leaned over and pressed her lips to the ice, as if she could kiss him through the frozen water. For a second, it was just painful; then the pain faded and Serene was leaning lower, the ice just gone as she pressed her warm lips to his cold ones. When she felt warmth return to his skin and his first weak stirring, she drew back her head to see whom she had released.

But for the dreams, he was lifeless. Frozen utterly in a total suspension of all life - a pause button. He remembered when she'd come to see him, her red eyes soft with some indefinable emotion.

"Why so sad?" he'd asked her as he tested the integrity of the pod he'd intended to be his sarcophagus. Air hissed as it contacted the coolant coils and the young man with ancient green eyes grunted absently in satisfaction.

"I'm not." she'd said, almost too quickly. She'd moved with lithe, sensual grace to the lab equipment and studied the blue glowing liquid in the hypospray. "This is it?"

"Yep." he'd replied, strain in his voice as he tightened a fitting. "That's it."

"How does it work?"

"It's mostly nanites. They'll regulate my power, keeping me in perfect suspension while the synaptic paralyser freezes my mental activity in a dream state." He'd tossed the hydrowrench over to one side and wiped off his hands before approaching her, but not too closely. He perched on the end of the workbench, watching her, his attitude between caution and empathy.

"I don't understand why." she said softly, her gaze luminous as she rested it on him. "Why must you go away? I don't understand." she repeated.

"Why so upset?" he asked gently. "We're not lovers anymore. We haven't been for centuries."

"I asked 'why' first." she stated truculently. He sighed.

"Because I'm going to go mad. Because I don't want to kill myself, but this is a good alternative. Human beings aren't meant to live as long as I have, you know that. Our minds aren't designed for it." he explained frankly. "Now you."

"Because I'll be lonely. Because you were the only one on either side that would talk to me like I was a person, rather than a tool or a resource or an enemy. Because you could oppose me without hating me. I'll miss that."

"I know." he said with a smile that was ageless as the rest of his body. "And that's why there's a secret in the serum there. If your skin contacts the ice that'll form around me the nanosensors in the ice, detecting your pheromones, will trigger an awakening process." His smile became a grin. "Provided you can find me, you can wake me up."

"But that could take decades, even centuries!" she protested, but with a laugh as she saw the game for what it was. "Of course. So this time I have to chase after you, old man?" she asked with a wry smile on her perfect lips.

"It's definitely my turn." he smiled back, then turned towards his shower. "I'm going to get cleaned up before I go."

"I could help..." The offer was half-playful, half-serious, but he felt a tug run through his body and soul at the warmth in her tone. There was a brush of fabric as she moved closer.

"Don't." he said without turning around. "I'm asking you as a friend." She said nothing, but didn't move anymore.

"Don't you want to?"

"No. You're a drug habit that I've kicked."

"Only because I let you." She sounded angry, bitter. "Only because I cared enough to let you have your free will."

"Yes. And that is why we're friends." he said calmly, wondering if her capriciousness would push her into something that would harm that friendship.

"Friends..." she said in a small voice, then her tone hardened, became proud and scornful. "Go on, then. Go into your coffin. Maybe I'll come and find you when I feel like it. Or maybe I won't ever feel like it."

"There's always that chance." he replied evenly, and went to shower. When he came back, she had gone, leaving only her perfume behind.

"Goodbye." he'd told that scent, the memory of her in the air.

The scent, the memory in the air. Warm air that curled down into his lungs as the stasis left him. The nearness of someone, breath on his lips. He stirred.

Pale green eyes, unfocused at first, opened in the handsome face of the man Serene had awakened. She withdrew a little more as he sat up, the ice continuing to melt around him, soaking him to the bone through his white linen suit and shirt. White hair the colour of snow was plastered to his head, and he swept it back from his face with one hand as the other patted his breast pocket for something. A slim, silver case was withdrawn on autopilot as the man took in his surroundings, focus along with fierce intelligence returning to his gaze. With motions that were obviously second nature, he keyed open the air-sealed case with a thumbprint and placed a white tube from within in between his lips. Finally, he looked back at Serene and did a double-take, studying her intently for a long moment.

"Not her. Like her though." he muttered to himself as he patted his pockets again. "Where did I...? Bugger. Don't tell me I... I did. I left my damned lighter behind. Well fuck." Still sitting in a puddle of water, he looked at Serene with a plaintive quirk on his handsome lips. "Sorry about that. I hate mornings." He extended his right hand, the Legacy ring winking from his ring finger. "Jason Bannon, call me Bannon. Lovely to meet you."

Karra gave the small archer-man looking up at her a small wave. He was calling her and her friends weird things for something reason, but he seemed nice enough, so she decided to help him out. She could tell him were the bad guys were - at least, she thought they were the bad guys. There was a lot of them, and good guys never came in hordes that big. Actually, good guys - Heroes - never came in hordes. She didn't know if it was because it was only a bad guy thing, or if Heroes just didn't know how to be horde.

"The bad guys - the Horde - is just over there," Karra offered helpfully, raising an arm and pointing. All the elves looked up at the apparent Frost Giant, then followed her arm, but couldn't see what she was pointing at.

"Where?" the Archer asked, trying to see with Elven sight and shading his eyes with a hand.

"There!" Karra insisted, pointing... insistently.

"There?"

"No! There!" Karra pointed again, but the tiny elf man obviously couldn't see it. Probably because he was elf man and too close to the ground. Karra could help with that!

Karra reached down with a comparatively huge hand, plucking the Archer up as if he weighed no more than spider-web, bringing his eyes level with her own and pointed one more time. "See? Right there! That funny bump on the land, you can see them coming over the top."

The Archer frowned dubiously. The crest of the distinctive hill was writhing to his vision, but that may have been due to the distance as much as a Horde coming over the top. Peering at the Giantess who held, her guileless eyes, her strength apparently formidable for even one of her huge kin, he decided to take her at her word. There was little else he could do.

"I thank you for your keen eyes, fair giantess. This is dire news indeed, your Highness. I know that hill. General Merrendil must be informed at once, so our forces can be probably mobilized." The archer was silent a moment, then glanced at Karra. "Can you please put me down?"

"Oh! Oh, of course. Sorry!" Karra apologized with alacrity, her cheeks blushing a plum hue. She put him set him down on his feet, then turned an eager look on Tessa. "While the tiny elf man is doing his tiny elf man things, can we go see these giants? Please! I wanna see people as big as me. I like being big, but sometimes it's lonely being the only one and this place made you guys even smaller. Can we go? Can we? Please? They're not even far! He said they're in the mountains and they look no more than a single jump away - three max!"

"I would be honored to travel with you, my Knight, we can go speak with the children of the forest, call upon the elven court, and petition the courts of Faerie.. if I asked them, perhaps a surgical strike on the fortress would make the enemy lose access to the dragon scale piercing weapons, after all, you and I came from there, we should be able to guide a counterattack there.. and the forest should be allowed to rose itself in defense of the attack."

The nude green girl sat up a little straighter, taking the hand that was offered to her. Her small hand curled around his as gave him a firm shake. “I’m Serene Dorian,” she said, her smile sweet. She seemed unaware or perhaps uncaring that she was naked as the day she was born. Her red eyes were a little curious as she bit back the urge to ask him what he’d been talking about when he’d looked at her. But it seemed a little abrupt to push him for such information. Still smiling, she held up her hand, showing him her Legacy ring.

Before he could reply, she rose to her feet, leaning down and offering her hand to him. He took it and she helped him up, already talking. “Bryce and Lorraine, could you get another cup of tea?”

“Of course!” Lorraine said, jolting into motion. “And a towel. Or more.”

“That won’t be necessary,” Serene told her. The shark-woman hurriedly curtsied and disappeared into the kitchen. A second later, they could hear rattling noises.

“Djane, would you be willing to dry him off, please?” Serene asked, glancing at her pixie/genie/friend. She didn’t think she had to phrase everything as a wish, not here.

"Sure! I got - it - "

Djane frowned, as she magically created the illusion of a dry version of his clothing. "... my magic isn't working right." She paused. "Well, maybe it IS working right for here, but for here, apparently sprites just do illusions."

Bannon, rising on Serene-guided autopilot, blinked as he realised that the girl with the abundantly green skin was talking to a... fairy. Sprite, she called it. Ah. He looked around again, the sweep of his cool green eyes taking in the cosy surroundings, the fact that the nubile green-skinned beauty was utterly, completely, and even totally naked, and lastly the talking shark-

Hold up. Talking shark. Plural. Talking sharks.

"I get it." he said out of the blue. "I'm still dreaming." He half-smiled, a wry tilt of his lips as he indicated the cottage. "This is a perfect, peaceful locale. Cosy, homey: Just the sort of place I always wanted to retire in. And the... sprites, wasn't it?" He looked closely at Djane, the scrutiny slightly unnerving as he went on, mostly to himself. "Well, I spent most of my life chasing down weird tales and strange happenings, so fairies in my cottage isn't so strange."

"And of course, you'd have to be here." he smiled at Serene with genuine warmth. "Familiar, yet different enough that I couldn't presume to know you. A fresh start, no baggage. She never smiled like that..." His voice drifted as he looked a little forlorn for a moment, then shrugged. "I can only assume that the green skin is indicative of some Captain Kirk fantasy I've been secretly longing to fulfill. And finally..." Smiling with the enjoyment of the game, he turned towards Bryce and the returning Lorraine, who was bearing a cup of tea. Here Bannon's smile became a puzzled frown, which continued as he accepted the cup with a polite nod, his gaze studying the two strange creatures.

"Noooo...." he said slowly, drawing the word out. "No, I'm stumped. I've no idea what you represent." The two mercreatures looked at each other, then at Serene in polite bafflement. Standing in his wet linen suit, Bannon's head bowed in thought as he sipped at the tea. It was rather good. Then he looked up at Serene sharply, as though something had occurred to him.

"I'm not dreaming, am I?" he stated.

Aeonian brushes aside her long brown hair that sat over her mask.

"So... we leave now to the Dragons? It seems time is of the essence, indeed." She says, changing her wand back into a staff. "We will have to act fast. The fewer lives lost here, the better."

Serene smiled gently, her expression amused and sympathetic. Being here was jarring enough without . “No, you’re not dreaming. I know all of this seems weird but you’re in the Faerie Realms. Things are a little… loosely defined here. I am not a nymph at home… I’m…” She clearly was hunting for a word. “Closer to the norm at home.”

“And what is home?” Bannon asked, quirking his pale eyebrows.

He’s handsome, Serene thought, then wondered why she’d thought that. She plucked the silver case from his hand and turned it over in her hands. “This seems like Earth tech, albeit rather old. And your clothing.” She handed the case back. “You appear to have been frozen for a while. I’m not sure when you went under, but it appears to have been at least five centuries. Echo could say more closely.”

Her red eyes watched him closely, knowing that this might be a shock to him.

At the Ivory Tower of Aina the Dragon Witch

Alamaise, the green Dragon nodded at Arcana and her ‘Knight’ with something that could be considered a smile. “I shall take you there, if you wish. I know where their last Gathering was, chances are high that we’ll find one of them there.”

Aina nodded at the Centurion hesitantly. “I shall when you call for it.”, she refrained from asking why and what his intentions were instead focusing on the immediate requests and tasks.

She beckoned Mountainshadow to herself and looked at the assembled heroes. “Time is of the essence, please make haste.”

The dark colored Dragon lay down on her belly looking expectantly at the heroes waiting for anyone to take initiatve while Aina stretched herself to look over the trees towards the north. Her eyes squinted briefly and then she sighed.

“I hoped we could prevent the worst but it seems the MageLords are out to destroy us this time. Their forces far outnumber ours, even if the Ents, the Elven Court and the Frost Giants join us.”, she looked down at the heroes and set her eyes on the Centurion.

“Don’t let them kill me and retrieve the Orb of Arcadia. It is more important than anything else. Will you take my life and secure the Orb if their forces reach the Ivory Tower?”

The northern frontier

Karra scooped up Teletha and Aeonian in her large hands smiling at them. “I can see the mountains – it is only a few leaps… I think.”, her eyes squinted briefly and she furrowed her brows. It was difficult to determine how far away it actually was, now that everything else had shrunken so much.

The Bowman looked up to the huge GiantGirl and yelled, “Your presence will inspire the troops, your highness. I shall send word and mobilize our forces and also send a messenger to the Ivory Tower. The Dragon Witches shall know that we are willing to fight.”, he bowed seeming glad that they will join the war.

Karra’s strong legs propelled them towards the mountains which came dangerously close all of a sudden. It was really just a few jumps away, if you possessed GiantGirls size and might. The temperature was dropping quickly but to Karra it felt comfortable and empowering. She felt even stronger now that they got closer to the snowy mountain range.

Her last jump took her to the feet of a mountain pass where two huge Frost-Giants were guarding the path. Karra had been incredibly large but these two, obviously male Giants were easily a head taller than her, armored with chain and plate and large spears.

”Halt! Who approaches? What is your destination and allegiance?”, one of the giants demanded to know, the other one held his spear ready and was prepared to fight.

Karra drew up short, surprised at the sight of the giants, though she didn't seem concerned about the brandished spear. She had never met a boy taller than her before, and now here was two. Maybe my Dad was a giant... The possibilities made her young heart flutter. They didn't look like she'd break them by accident, and would be like in the holo-vids, where she had to look up to a man and could be enfolded in his arms.

She was startled out of her growing fantasies by an annoyed growl by one of the giants. Karra gave her head a shake, set Aeonian and Tessa down, then stood up tall, straightening her broad shoulders and stuck out her chest, giving the giants a bright smile.

"I'm me, I approaches," Karra chirped in her resonant, yet girlish, voice, pointing at her chest with a thumb. "I'm Karra and we want... uh... to talk to... erm..." Karra trailed off, looking down at Tessa and Aeonian. Suddenly, like a bolt of lightning, an idea occurred to her. Her puzzled expression fizzled under exuberant cheer as she pointed at the giants. "I know! We want to talk to your leader! The MageLords are bad, bad people and you should help us and the Mean Dragon Lady stop them, not pick on the tiny-elfy-men."

The Green Man bowed graciously to Alamaise and then turned to beam at Arcana. "We're going on a recruiting drive!" He said this first as if it were not obvious and second as if there were no undertaking which could be more enjoyable.

He then turned back to the dragon and inquired with the polite enthusiasm of one who is certain and prematurely grateful that his request will be granted, "Is it possible that I might borrow an instrument of some sort? Something with strings, keys or the like and roughly the right size for myself? I will not hesitate to rally our allies acapella if necessary, but I feel that instrumental accompaniment will greatly increase our efficacy."

"Five hundred..." The tea was forgotten for a long moment as Bannon stared at Serene, his mind racing back to it's habitual speed. Five hundred years... Damn, but she's gorgeous... FIVE centuries... Those leaf patterns are interesting... Five hundred years...

"I went to sleep in the latter half of 2405, Earth Reckoning." he told the beautiful green girl quietly. "What year is it now?" She told him, and he exhaled, shoulders lowering as the air left him, and lowered his head as though seeking answers in his teacup. "Over six hundred. Well damn." He chuckled then, a low warm sound of genuine amusement. "I only planned to sleep a century or two. I must include an alarm clock next time." He glanced up sharply at Serene, pale green eyes on her face as the wry smile still played around his lips.

"So... If the League is in Faerie I can only assume there's a good reason for it. This place was always considered a restricted area for travel in my day." He essayed a short bow over his teacup. "Once a League member, always a League member. What is afoot?"

She put an arm on Nixx's shoulder. "If it is necessary, my knight, I can easily shape an temporary instrument with my arts, that you can use. Would that we can visit the Summer Court however, they have some utterly wonderful instruments, and if you proved yourself in a contest against other musicians, you could potentially win an instrument of your choice." She shook her head to clear the thought and image, it would have been a glorious contest, but there was a more important matter at stake here.

She turned to the dragon queen as she made her request. "Your Majesty, I will guard the orb if you should be slain, if I must I will even destroy the orb to keep it from their hands." She paused. "Actually, I suppose I should say that we will, not I.." She glanced at the others present. "My apologies, I am somewhat use to working alone, not as part of a team."

Slim green fingers reached out and briefly clasped his arm; her red eyes were filled with sympathy for his plight. She didn’t say anything; what was there to say when someone was so far out of time? He’d prepared for a hundred years, but had gotten six times that, easily. She withdrew her hand before too long, trying not to impose upon him. She was still, even with her newfound freedom, far too aware of the unintentional effect she could have on men and women alike.

Serene smiled at his statement, a wry twist of her lips at the pure truth of his statement. She had been so ardent to pull him out of the icy prison for much the same reason. “The situation is not good,” she admitted, feeling a little bit of her old self creep back into her psyche as she laid it out. “There was an emergency at the Pluto Prison,” she started, making sure he was aware of the high-security prison before she continued onward. “The current members of the League investigated and didn’t return, so we, their children, went to see.”

“Children?” Bannon questioned, his eyebrows rising.

Serene nodded. “We had all been trained, and we were ready to enter the field. This was our trial-by-fire. We found most of our parents injured and a portal to Hell. We rescued whom we could, then went back for Karra’s mother, DawnStar. We traveled deep into Hell and found her being drained in some sort of spell. Another person trapped in it was Aina, the Queen of the DragonWitches. She got us out of Hell in exchange for hearing her petition for help against the MageLords. We listened and agreed to help her. She brought us here but we were separated in the transport. Djane and I were left here. We’re trying to reunite with the others and I was hoping that Bryce and Lorraine would come with us to join their might against the MageLords.” Serene smiled at the two shark-people.

“You’re looking for the Ivory Tower!” Bryce said, nodding. “If the others are there, then it will be easy for you to find them!”

“If you could show us the way,” Serene said, still with that same smile that made men want to give her everything, “I’d be grateful.”

“You can see the tower from here,” Bryce told her, nodding, “but I will show you.”

“Thank you.” Serene dipped her head to the shark-man. Her smile was gone and her expression more grim as she said to Bannon, “So we’re helping out against enslaving tyrants, perhaps on the brink of a war. I’m not sure all of my friends are safe. Are you feeling up to helping?”

Deciding that she didn't want to get the sprites into any more trouble, Djane let them be, and fluttered over to sit on Serene's shoulder.

"So wait, hold up, you're superpeople like Serene? You were part of the League? What exactly did you do in your time?"

[Aina] looked down at the heroes and set her eyes on the Centurion. “Don’t let them kill me and retrieve the Orb of Arcadia. It is more important than anything else. Will you take my life and secure the Orb if their forces reach the Ivory Tower?”

The knight's helm tilted curiously. The Centurion was silent for only a moment before replying. "No. I will not. I am not a murderer, nor an executioner." Though he did not trust the dragon he likewise did not seek her end. He shook his head, his flat hand cutting a sweeping arc, "Death is not the answer."

"I've been with the League for a while." Bannon replied to Djane, peering closer at the small pixieish creature. "In my time, I was called 'Doc Zero'." He shrugged, and Serene made a note of the codename to run a check on it. "It wasn't as though I had a private identity, but a nom de guerre was more identifiable, I suppose. And the League has always needed to have a prominent role. Plain old 'Professor Jason Bannon' isn't much of a superhero name." He patted his pockets again in futile search, then sighed and tucked the cigarette behind his ear.

"Doc Zero wasn't so bad a monicker. I've had worse ones over the years."

"No." Djane said patiently. "I mean: what did you DO, do?"

"Oh." Bannon blinked, then nodded. "Right. Six centuries... Well, I'm a PhD in a number of fields, from Forensic Investigation to Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry. That let me play 'second brain' to the hypergeniuses at the time, though I'm guessing my skills now are a little behind the curve." He frowned at that thought, but continued.

"Powers-wise I'm a psionicist - Achilles-class if that classification still has meaning - specialising in psychokinetic thermal extraction, though I have some low-grade subconscious telepathic and ESP abilities that lets me tap into speech centers and discern the meaning in non-verbal communication." He rolled up his left sleeve, revealing a curious high-tech bracer of organic design, several round polished crystals of various colours set in the mirrorlike metal. "There's also this, which I was quite proud of back in the day. It's a psychokinetic TK amplifier of my design, letting those with latent or low-level telekinetic gifts use them to much greater levels." He held his wrist up for a moment, then tugged the sleeve of his damp jacket down over the bracer and smiled wryly as he looked at Serene.

"Other than wishing I'd built a lighter into this thing, I'm ready and perfectly willing to help foil some tyrants and stop a war. Lead on, young lady." said the white-haired man who looked scarcely older than Serene.

"Calm down, everyone... We're all on the same side, if you think about it." Aeonian says to her party.

"While my large traveling companion broke the situation down in a simple manner, she also speaks the truth. I am not a threat, constables, and I highly doubt you would stomach violence unless it was necessary."

She straightens out her robes. "But, there is necessary violence approaching for all of us. It seems the Magelords are indeed putting whatever nefarious scheme they intend to unleash on these lands into motion. Orks and all sorts of unsavory creatures are now making their approach like a black, poisonous tidal wave. This wave will soon crash upon the lands of the Elves, and soon after unless something is done make it's way here.

We need to speak to someone in authority. It is imperative we do this as once for the sake of the world as a whole."

She stands full, posture showing confidence. Not a arrogant swagger but one of dire sincerity. "I am Aeonian the Vicount... An Artificer... I intend to save all your lives and the lives of everyone else on this world! You've got a problem with that?"

The Mountain King’s Hall

Originally Posted By: MegaGirl
"I'm me, I approaches," Karra chirped in her resonant, yet girlish, voice, pointing at her chest with a thumb. "I'm Karra and we want... uh... to talk to... erm..." Karra trailed off, looking down at Tessa and Aeonian. Suddenly, like a bolt of lightning, an idea occurred to her. Her puzzled expression fizzled under exuberant cheer as she pointed at the giants. "I know! We want to talk to your leader! The MageLords are bad, bad people and you should help us and the Mean Dragon Lady stop them, not pick on the tiny-elfy-men."

The two Frost-Giant Guards looked at each other the one who spoke lowering his spear as he made an hesitant step forward.

”You are the King’s Daughter!”, he suddenly realized putting his hand on the other Guards spear putting it down effectively.

”Please forgive us, we assumed all women were safe inside the Mountain. No one told us you were on a mission.”, the Guard said lowering his head. With his head bent down he fell to one knee and continued.

”We are aware of the War Viscount, but none of this was ever provoked by the Frost-Giants. It is your petty struggles for more power and influence that has brought that evil upon you. You now face the consequences of your doing. We have nothing the MageLords consider of value… and they wouldn’t dare attack us.”

The other Guard had mirrored the speakers actions still somewhat confused and insecure. Obviously he was not as experienced or didn’t care much about ‘politics’.

”Since you made a formal request we are bound by word to take you to the King’s Hall.”, the Guard raised back to his full height and turned around giving a nod to his comrade.

”Follow me.”

Karra faithfully followed the senior guard all the path up to the mountain top where a mighty palace made of stone was carved into the mountain. Everything here was Karra’s size, the other Frost-Giants who bowed their heads in respect, the steps that led up to the King’s Hall were in comfortable intervals and the closer she got to the top and the more the temperature dropped the better and stronger she felt while Teletha and Aeonian started freezing putting their arms around themselves and trying to get as much comfort from their robes as possible.

The Guard stopped at the foot of the steps pointing upwards. ”The King is in his hall.”, he flatly stated and left them alone. Karra looked around hesitantly before she climbed the stairs. As she reached the top she saw more guards who didn’t move at all as if frozen in ice. Only their eyes betrayed them as they watched the young Giantess approach the King’s Hall.

The King’s Hall was huge and cold, even colder than the air outside. At the far end sat the King on a mighty Throne gazing with his icy eyes on Karra.

”Haven’t I told you to stay with the women, Childe?”, his voice was like a glacier grinding over the mountain.

The Ivory Tower

Alamaise nodded at Arcana and her Knight and waited for them to sit comfortably on her back before she lifted off heading towards the frontier soon disappearing in the distance.

From their elevated point of view they could see the approaching horde. It was difficult to estimate how large the force was and how much time it would need before it arrived at the forest’s edge. Distances and time were greatly distorted and extremely subjective in Arcadia and so they had to trust what the Dragon Queen had said.

Alamaise found a clearing amongst the large trees and landed right next to a large boulder that was about 20 feet tall and completely covered in moss.

“It is here where the last of their meeting was, about 1000 years ago. We haven’t heard nor seen them ever since but I am sure they are still here. I will leave you here and return to the Ivory Tower. We hope to hear from you soon.”

Without much ado Alamaise lifted off again and headed back to the Ivory Tower.

In the meantime Mountainshadow gazed impatiently at the heroes.

“I suppose I will pick up your friends alone then – I shall return quickly.”

Aina nodded at Mountainshadow and gave The Centurion a short disapproving glance. He could see some of her former fury and arrogance shining through but somehow she was less inclined to give into it compared to her temper outside Arcadia.

“Very well…”, she replied to him keeping her thoughts to herself. This was not the time to quarrel about pride and teaching valuable lessons, she would have to survive, no matter what.

Echo could see the Dragons on the magical hologram as they approached their destinations. As Alamaise reached the northern borders of the woods she could see the line of the approaching hordes of the MageLords and the crystals quickly updated their latest knowledge about their position and speed of advance. Aina’s estimates were correct, they had less than 72 hours before the MageLords would reach the forest.

Bryce’s Cottage

Djane felt it first, something was approaching. Something large and powerful, so powerful she could feel the magical aura engulfing the cottage. The other Pixies immediately stopped their work and fearfully seeked shelter behind the couch on which Serene was reclining earlier.

“Oh dear, I think we are expecting even more guests?”, Lorraine interrupted apologizing immediately by bowing deeply to Serene. The Cottage shook under the approaching steps and now all guests could feel what Djane was very aware of. Something large was looming above the Cottage. Serene looked around, somewhat worried and confused and her eyes fell on Bryce who almost dropped his cup of tea. She had never expected to see a Shark pale at the sight of something and she hesitantly followed his gaze which was transfixed on the window across the room.

From outside a large reptilian like eye, golden in color peered inside – no doubt it belonged to a Dragon…

So evidently they were all royalty of some sort, or at the very least highly placed in this world's societies.

Telethat wished it could just be simple, and then the ambient temperature dropped by an unbelievable amount. It took a great deal of control to keep her teeth from chattering.

"A warrior's place is not in hiding your highness." The words suprised her but she pressed on. "War has come to Arcadia, and though it may not yet affect you to the extent of others, what happens when we are all gone? When all who could be your allies have fallen, and the Magelords look to your lands and decide they wish them as well, for the sake of totality and completeness Who would stand with you then?"

She didn't bother looking to the others, and drew herself to her full height, which was less than impressive amidst giants. "Even if you do not actively help us, I ask that you at least consider a treaty of nonagression, let the detente between our peoples end."

Archived