Aberrant RPG - Fast Tasks + Speed Reading = flip book?

iamthedave

I figure this is a reasonable combination. Fast Tasks lets you 'do stuff' quicker without losing any attention to detail, Speed Reading... lets you read faster. The context here is trying to recreate that bit from Short Circuit where Johnny 5 is getting input by reading books in seconds. Perhaps not to such a degree.

The character has mega dex 3, Mega int 4, fast tasks and speed reading, with a couple of memory enhancements as well. So going by the standard speed reading rules they'd probably be reading at something like 10 x faster than a normal person (4 x faster basic + 4-6 successes on intelligence roll). I reckon they'd be finishing two pages in a couple of seconds.

Bit rambly, but I'm just wondering if this would work to result in reading entire books in ridiculous speed.

There are people in real life who can speed read at incredible rates, I see no reason that someone with Fast Tasks couldn't take that and go even further with it. In tests the speed readers usually score higher on reading comprehension than normal readers, so this doesn't seem far fetched to me at all.

Cool beans. But what rate to set?

With those mega stats that high, it should be impressive. 20, 50,000 words a minute maybe? Between speed reading and fast tasks obviously. How amazing should 3 and 4 dots in two mega attributes be when working in concert?

Or maybe 10,000 words per minute per success on the Speed Reading roll?

Fast Tasks is a really vague, fluffy enhancement, unfortunately. Hate that frown

I think you would be better to set a word/second rate than per minute, as at that kind of speed, very very little will take a whole minute and that way you can have a figure that will equate into combat rounds if someone has to all of a sudden learn how to operate something by reading a manual.

AFA how fast that exactly is...well that is really up to you.

I would say 200 words per second per success wouldn't be out of the question.

Archived