Aberrant RPG - How would you deal with people with lots of arms?

iamthedave

The extra arms body modification is pretty awesome, however you look at it. But I always felt it really just covers an extra pair. What if someone's doing a character inspired by Shiva, for example, or a spider, and has 8 arms? Or six? Or whatever?

I feel like just multiplying the extra arms benefit would be pretty broken. -1 from multiple action penalties is extremely good, -2 or 3 might be over the top.

Bonuses to grapple, climbing and other such checks seemed like a worthy approach. Or is it best to just say that -1 subtraction is enough for any number of arms?

If you're mildly curious, this came about because someone loved the idea of their mega-intelligent character solving 4 rubix cubes simultaneously (with 1 rubix cube per two limbs); and accordingly they have more than one 'face'. Pretty weird, but very Hindu. Apart from the rubix cube bit I guess.

Either limit the number of dots a character can take to 5... or better still, just limit it to *one* and let them take any number of extra limbs with it.

Example: Shiva the nova has 4 extra arms, she purchased Bodymod: Extra Limb(s) once. She gets a -1 for multiple actions and that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it done two ways:

1) Buying the body mod allows for any number of extra limbs (defined at purchase) and a single bonus.

2) Buying the body mod allows an extra limb or pair of limbs, and the bonus, and can be bought up to 5 times (as though it were a power).

While #2 is better from a mechanics standpoint, it never really caught on, probably because most people don't picture their PC as a giant spider.

Or ARM BEAST.

I'll play around. It pushes on being broken to go too far with it. I once built a character who may as well have been named Ms. Magimix, and all she had was Extra Limbs (2 extra arms), Multitasking, Quickness and high dice pools. She was reliably pulling off 6 + actions a turn.

Archived