Mutants & Masterminds: Struggles of Iannin - The Inception of Iannin

Forge

inceptionv.jpgThe formless forces of Will engulfed the newly created world of Iannin, not yet bearing the personality or physical forms that would define them in Ages to come. With reckless whim and wild abandon they shaped and formed, created and destroyed, seeking balance and satisfaction with their design.

Little did they know that the Chaos from which they were born yet sought to meddle in their plans...

There can be no life without water. I flood the world, giving birth to seas and oceans.

Click to reveal..
You can post in whatever way you like, mine will have a little drama added. There is now oceans and seas with one large landmass. Try not to get too carried away with one turn. Posting will go in the order set by the first round, with the first round being first come, first served. Chaos will always mark the end of the 'round'.

As Waters rise and as Fires rise, so do I proclaim that Ice will rise! And lo! I smite the top of the world with my hand of Frost! And lo! I smite the bottom of the world with my hand of Frost! And thus, the Lands of Eternal Ice are given form!

Click to reveal..
Forming the polar ice caps, which as a side effect, reduces sea levels to something more manageable. Would also leave it's mark on the lands, water wearing away canyons and such.

With delicacy I use my fingers to creat a mighty delta at the southern end of my predecessors river, creating a rich ground for fertile soil. Resting my body on the central massive it leaves a deep canyon and plateaus as I upright myself again. The virgin land was now imprinted with my shape.

Click to reveal..
I'm creating a vast Delta at the south of Dawn's River. Where my body rested a deep maze of canyons and mesas/plateaus are left behind in the central continent.

The volcanic eruptions suddenly gave way to massive earthquakes and the newly born western continent sundered, cleft in twain, then twain again, sending the new sub-continents adrift before they settled.

Click to reveal..
Chaos rolled "Massive earthquake splits landmass apart." I rolled dice to randomly choose which one, how many pieces and how far each piece drifted.

I whip the winds into a fury, wearing down the volcano of the southeast sundered island and forming a connection to the eastern continent.

Click to reveal..
Basically sliced the top off and dumped it in the water. I will update the map after every round. Obviously it isn't all that fancy. If anything is not represented correctly for what you had in mind, let me know and we can chat so I get a better idea and will correct the map.

Earth! The very bedrock of Iannin; RISE!! With deliberation, and great strength, the foundations of the world did heave and push, and there was born a vast crescent of fresh land in the waters both South and West.

Click to reveal..
Calling forth another new landmass to the southwest, to fill in that vast expanse of blue somewhat. A crescent shaped land continent surrounded by islands is what I have in mind.

Looking to the north I push the flat lands against the shore and admire the rising masses of land and rock.

Click to reveal..
East of the river Dawn created I let Mountains as high as the Himalayas rise along the shore line down to about half of the continent

Looking down upon the land, I find the bareness displeasing. Inhaling the breath of life, I turn my gaze upon the cloven and riven continent, and exhale, seeding the land bearing sinister with sky-striving growth.

Click to reveal..
West of the river on the Eastern Continent, I created a massive, primordial forest, coniferous and deciduous, stretching all the way from the south-west to the north of the continent.

Seeing how close to round the Eastern Continent is displeases me. With strong fingers, I pull the northeastern edge of the land further north and east, making a horn.

Click to reveal..
I put an upside down South America on the northeast edge of the Eastern contenient, pointing north and east (more east than north).

Entropy coiled up, frustration and madness spewing forth over the planet, even as Creation sought to bring about Order.

The sky burst forth, releasing torrential rains upon the land. Terrain was eroded, channeled and carved, changing the look of the planet as a whole.

Chaos, though energized by its efforts, was still the embodiment of entropy and it retreated, poised to come forth some time later.

Click to reveal..
Shoreline modifications, river branches added and some smaller islands are gone. Chaos actually rolled to get a second turn, but the second turn was to lose its next turn...go figure.

I wish a place that I might rest, yet bask in my creation, blocked not by mountains, forest or terrain.

Rise forth from the depths! Heed my Will!

Click to reveal..
Making a small continent of rolling hills covered in tall prairie grasslands

In the jungles I seed lakes like sapphires mingled with emeralds, one for every ten. Westward I fly and lay upon the northwestern volcanic isle a blanket of golden fields that strive against the fires and lava. Unsatisfied still I go southward and east and lay a forest upon the crescent isle that it would be green in the warm cycles and like living fire in the winter.ad

Click to reveal..
Adding lakes throughout the jungles on the main continent. Making the Northwest most landmass a fertile savanna, and adding a deciduous forest to the crescent shaped continent

I take the northern volcanic island and shut off its fire. Water is poured into the caldera from my hand, washing down the face of the massive tower of rock. The water pours into the mountain’s cracks, widening them into caves. Inside the caves, I place plants that glow softly in the darkness.

Click to reveal..
This is all on the volcanic island touching the glacier; I stopped the lava and filled the caldera with water, making a large, round lake and creating an underwater cave system. There are fungi in these caves that give some light.

I stoke the hidden fires of the Isle of Twin Peaks, stoke them hard and fierce, until the searing lifeblood of Iannin spews forth! And with a mights crack, the Isle is sundered into countless fragments, rough edged and verdant, studding ever hot waters.

Click to reveal..
I break the third volcanic island into a great archipelago. The largest island remaining - less than a quarter of the island's previous size, drifts slightly West and South - about half-way between the Northwestern Isle and the western horn of the Crescent Island. The rest forms an archipelago linking the two remaining Volcanic Islands and their Southern parts and beginning to close in on the Eastern horn of the Crescent Island. The waters here are unusually warm from ocean bottom volcanic activity and the islands of the archipelago have rough, ragged contours and lush foliage due to the mineral rich volcanic sediment that layers them.

Gazing across the mainland to the east my eyes dance over the ocean not far from the shore. Where ever it suits my taste I create an island making them look like steps of a titan.

Click to reveal..
Just east of the mainland shore I create a dozen islands roughly in shape of footsteps calling them the Titan's steps. They run parallel to the shore from just south of the Himalayas and reaching as far down as the Delta

Behold! A chariot trailing fire plunges from the sky, crashing into the eastern continent in the north. The crater bulges and the waters flow into it forming a vast lake with an island at its center like an eye. The lands surrounding it spring forth with life at my breath and coniferous forests bloom across the lands from the mountains in the south to the tundra in the north. Unsatisfied I reach to the south and carve a small river through the Fire Forest, the better for which to irrigate the isle.

Click to reveal..
The north of the western continent is hit by a meteor which creates a ring shaped lake with an island within. The rest of that landmass is covered by coniferous forest and a small river is added to the Fire Forest.

I thrust a black spear into the center of Iannin, leaving a Spire to rise above the waves and the clouds and higher yet, so all may turn and see and wonder!

Click to reveal..
Placing a many miles high spire in the center of the central ocean, its thicker base hidden beneath the waves, leaving a thick, mostly sheer sided Spire of black rock to rise up and up and up. It's so high, the Spire can easily be seen from any coastline bordering the ocean and further. Very nasty currents surround the Spire and a maelstrom of dark clouds and lightning often wreaths it part way up it unimaginable height. The winds that whistle through worn crags, the tune by turns haunting and horrible, warns sailors when they are coming too close.

I carve tunnels through the mighty mountains that break up the northern part of the Eastern lands, creating deep, beautiful hidden places. I seed the Titan-step Isles with greenry: flowers and delicate plants that need the warm light near the center of the world. These plants are then pursuased to reach into the water, bringing life to the water. The plants make floating islands of greenry that surround the isle. I find their beauty pleasing to me.

Click to reveal..
Putting chambers and tunnels in the Himilayans. Added a couple of minor changes to the Titan-steps; made the primary type of life on the Titan-steps flowers of all shapes and sizes. Some are bigger than trees. Some of them become aquatic and float out into the water around the islands.

Sensing his ability to manipulate lessening, Chaos lashes out mightily, removing from existence; land, life and water. The ocean rushes in to balance, washing over and filling the area in a massive wave. As the waters settle, the tears of the forest drain in, changing the color of the waters.

Click to reveal..
Chaos rolled to add a sea. Rolled a few times to determine location (and trying to let it make sense.) I'm modifying the river and surroundings as logic would command.

The river delta is ripe for cultivation! I draw forth metals from the earth and churn them with the river waters, creating a vast swamp! I then rip trees from the nearby forest and drag the tips through chaos planting them throughout the swamp. Not yet fully satisfied, I draw forth heat from the core and bid it to swell and froth beneath the swamp.

Click to reveal..
Turned the delta into a giant super-rich geothermal mineral swamp and planted trees that the first year's growth glows to attract bugs for pollination.

The cold wind blows and the ice from the polar regions extends from north and south freezing the lands of the main continent that dare reach for the ice! In the mountains I set to work cunning paths between the north and south so that the fauna may pass through those hoary peaks.

Click to reveal..
Creating tundra in the north and south arms of the main continent where they approach the polar ice. Creating a handful of passes/valleys through the "Himlayas"

With one hand, I pulled at the bones of the earth beneath the waves, leashing the Crescent Isle to the Frozen Lands. With the other, I make a mighty fist and strike a great blow, crushing Mesa and Mountain. A land harsh and broken and dark is formed, rich in the earth's treasures, for those strong enough to grasp them. The suns' light fall hard upon these lands, to which I add my breath, blowing from the Roof of the World and across the spine of the Mountains, so that here, the wind and the night burns as cold as the ground and the day burns hot.

Click to reveal..
Forming a landscape of Badlands (a la Aiel Waste) from the piece of Mesa north of the river, the chunk of desert between the Mesa and the Mountains, and a chunk of the Mountains roughly equal to the piece of Mesa. One edge of the Badlands borders the river, but there is a high, sheer escarpment.

These lands are very dark - dark black, greys, and browns, with some deep, but vivid, reds and blues. It's rich in coal, iron, obsidian, and other metals and gemstones, and poor in water and wood. Though it gets very hot during the day, the wind is almost always very cold, as are the nights, which contributes to the hard, cracked terrain.

I grab, pull and twist the mountains north of the Titan Steps, stretching that tongue of land northward. The mountains are forced to lose height and crags, softening. Though they still reach high, they are not the monsters their cousins remain. Then I stretch the flatlands to the north to make a deep, cold-water bay.

Click to reveal..
Making a deep bay (not quite an inland sea) north of the Titan Steps and east of the Lake Island. The mountains on that spur are decreased in size; think the Appalacians in comparision to the Rockies.

Click to reveal..
Stolen and adapted from The Birth of the Gods. This is just another variation, not necessarily the 'truth'.

The First Race emerged. Strong and powerful, gifted with great powers, they became aware of themselves and in doing so, elevated themselves above the beasts. The aspect of Will that would become the god Beltok whispered of grand designs and creations, for Will desired the prayer and sacrifice and worship of the First Race. They knew nothing of these things and they cared not but for the dispassion of logic and thought.

Chaos, stepped forth from the empyrean and went among the First Race and touched them, giving passion and love, arts and beauty, and the First Race fell to their knees and gave praise to the gods for the first time, and made sacrifice to the gods, and worshiped their creators. This defined the gods to their roles and thus Will was sundered. Chaos had planted other gifts for the First Race however and soon taught them of greed and envy, jealousy and desire, deceit, trickery, and luck, and soon the First Race not only worshiped the gods but envied them.

The First Race blossomed and made war and art, and worshiped and blasphemed, and created life and meted out death, and in all things they became the servants of the gods. So passed æons and with time the First Ones divided unto each god with devotion and were in turn changed and empowered by the gods and became more than mortal and less than divine.

Still the burning ember of envy glowed hot within their breasts and the First Race began to desire more and wished to become gods themselves. Evil spoke of such things to the Magi, the servants of Elan, the greatest of the gods and the master of all magic, suggesting that only the lifeblood of a god could raise the First to become gods themselves. This stoked the ember of envy into an inferno of greed. The Magi set forth to take Elan's blood and use it to make themselves divine. The gods, heedless to the risk or outcome, regardless of the danger, aided them; whispering to them of rituals and binding magics, of weapons and spells of immense power, and drove them to create their greatest of feats.

In an instant the Magi struck, with the swiftness of the mortal races and the power of the divine they enacted a grand ritual that rendered the Magus unto Iannin and made him vulnerable. With weapons enchanted with Elan's true name, and spells tinged with Chaos, the First Race slew Elan, The Magus. Their deed had consequences unforeseen, and upon his death, Elan, The Magus, who was magic incarnate, his great will no longer able to contain the potent, pure, and raw magic which composed his every fiber burst. Raw untempered magic washed over Iannin and saturated the mortal plane and the world.

But magic was born of Chaos, and with magic forged by Will came Chaos, the bane of Will, to the world and sought to punish the First Race.

Click to reveal.. (Destruction!)
Chaos' last God turn is three part and is havoc-wreaking punshiment for the audacity of the First Race to aspire to such heights.

First: All volcanoes active or dormant (and a few others) erupted violently. This shattered the swamp nearly out of existence, took out a Titan step, changed Dawn's crater volcano into a bay and created a massive mega volcano on the savannah.

Second: Crescent Island was cracked nearly in half and pulled apart.

Third: Was that everyone would lose a turn. Which I explained as below.

The gods retreated from Iannin, their creation tainted with the actions of the First and rampant with the entropy of Chaos. So was it that Iannin was allowed to fend for itself for the first time since the beginning, and from this time plants and animals sprang forth and reclaimed lands once destroyed, laying seed over the ruins of what came before and burying betrayal into myth.

Click to reveal..
Basically, the planet was left alone for an eternity and all the bread & butter plants and animals spread through the planet, so there is no need to waste turns creating deer, rabbits or trying to replant all the stuff from the cataclysm.

Archived